1997-1998 Juniors: Wiersholm, Nava, Kozlov, Tiafoe, Mmoh, Blumberg, Ponwith, etc. - Page 3 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 04-13-2012, 12:51 AM   #31
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

SapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 1997-1998 Juniors: Wiersholm, Nava, Kozlov, Tiafoe, Mmoh, Blumberg, Ponwith, etc.

Easter Bowl
18's: Kozlov through to the quarterfinal
14's: Blumberg def. Ponwith 61 76(9) for a spot in the semi, Nathan

Twitter: https://twitter.com/ARhyneMoment
Youtube: youtube.com/SapELee485
SapELee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2012, 02:23 AM   #32
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

SapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 1997-1998 Juniors: Wiersholm, Nava, Kozlov, Tiafoe, Mmoh, Blumberg, Ponwith, etc.

Quote:
In a boys’ 18s match, 14-year-old Stefan Kozlov of Pembroke Pines, Fla., continued his success beating Dennis Uspensky of Atlantic Beach, N.Y, 6-4, 6-3, to move into the third round.

Kozlov, who advanced to the finals of Carson last week in the boys’ 18s, is hoping to continue his wave of momentum at the Easter Bowl. “Last week I played unreal and I’m feeling confident in my game right now and I hope to keep playing well,” Kozlov said.

Kozlov has already played in about a dozen tournaments in the 18s. At five-feet, seven-inches, he admits it’s been intimidating playing against older teenagers but is looking forward to his next growth spurt.

“Whenever my opponents have a lot of power, I try to slow down their pace instead of playing at their speed,” Kozlov said. “When I get taller and stronger it’s going to help a lot on my serve and my shots and I’ll be able to put more spin on the ball.”

Kozlov, who trains at the USTA National Training Center in Boca Raton, Fla., is working on specific areas of his game to do well against older players. “I’ve really been working on attacking the ball more, coming in, getting quick points, placing my serve and improving my movement on the court,” he said.

In the boys’ 14s, No. 14 seed William Blumberg of Greenwich, Conn., defeated No. 3 seed Taylor Fritz 6-1, 7-5, of Rancho Santa Fe., to advance to the quarterfinals.

Going into the match, Blumberg said his coach wanted him to be aggressive and take every ball on the rise. “I did a good job with that strategy in the first set and I was able to break him early,” Blumberg said. “In the second set, I was up 2-1 and I started being more defensive and he broke me to go up 5-4, but I was able to break back and go up 6-5 before breaking him in the end to win the match.”

Blumberg is also tough on himself and knows he has some work to do to achieve his goal of playing professionally some day. “I need to not slow down the pace and accelerate more on the ball so I can stay up on a player,” Blumberg said. “The main key for me to get better is staying aggressive.”

Former 14s Boys’ Finalist Battle It Out in 18s At 45th Annual USTA Easter Bowl Junior Spring Nationals
There it is folks, the official height.

Old 04-13-2012, 04:08 PM   #33
country flag Smoke944

Smoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Tracy Austin ‏ @thetracyaustin Reply Retweet Favorite · Open
Watched 14 yr old Stefan Kozlov at #EasterBowl. Haven't seen anyone use the court and variety like this since Hingis. Tennis IQ off charts.
Not a terrible endorsement
Smoke944 is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 04:42 PM   #34
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

If he plays junior Wimbledon, maybe there is a chance we can see him play on livestream .

Old 04-13-2012, 04:46 PM   #35
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Oh btw, I notice that he partners Corinteli in the doubles (since Corinteli's buddy, Papa, is out with an injury). What an odd combo .

Old 04-13-2012, 09:13 PM   #36
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Easter Bowl
18's: Kozlov lost 62 67 26 to Halebian in the 1/4
14's: Blumberg beats top seed Kodali 63 36 63, will face Seelig in the final

Old 04-13-2012, 09:38 PM   #37
country flag T4L

T4L is on a distinguished road

So how high will Kozlov be ranked next week?
T4L is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 11:30 PM   #38
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by T4L View Post
So how high will Kozlov be ranked next week?
He gets 60 points for making it to the quarterfinal of Grade B1, but only 5 best tournament results can be accounted towards the ranking. His current lowest tournament result is 30 points, so he would gain 30 points in the singles. Same idea for the doubles, but the doubles points are worth only 1/4 of the total.

Current single points 270 + 30 (gained from Easter Bowl) = 300
Current doubles points 235 + 15 (gained so far from Easter Bowl, still alive) = 250/4 = 62.5

Possible new total points = 300 + 62.5 = 362.5 (could be more depending on his doubles result)

362.5 points would rank him around 60, but will likely change pending the movement of other players.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by SapELee : 04-13-2012 at 11:50 PM.
Old 04-14-2012, 01:12 AM   #39
country flag SHB

SHB has a reputation beyond reputeSHB has a reputation beyond reputeSHB has a reputation beyond reputeSHB has a reputation beyond reputeSHB has a reputation beyond reputeSHB has a reputation beyond reputeSHB has a reputation beyond reputeSHB has a reputation beyond reputeSHB has a reputation beyond reputeSHB has a reputation beyond reputeSHB has a reputation beyond repute

Playing Halebian that tough is impressive. This kid is doing extraordinary things.
SHB is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 01:50 AM   #40
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHB View Post
Playing Halebian that tough is impressive. This kid is doing extraordinary things.
Agreed

Old 04-14-2012, 01:55 AM   #41
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Not really related to this thread, but wow his little brother looks just like him.

Quote:
Melissa & Lloyd‏@YourGameFace

Spring Nats. Watch out Stefan, here comes Boris! There's another Kozlov! #delraybeachitc http://pic.twitter.com/BeYGnc7M

Old 04-14-2012, 03:49 PM   #42
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Blumberg to play for 14's Easter Bowl title

Quote:
Blumberg’s 6-3, 3-6, 6-3 win over top seed Anudeep Kodali was full of twists and turns, with Blumberg using the 10-minute break between the second and third sets to his advantage.

"My mind was so mental in the second set," said Blumberg, who trains at the USTA's Flushing Meadows Center. "My coach really calmed me down, and I came out pretty strong. He was dictating all the points in the second set, so I tried to slow down the pace, wait for my short ball and then attack. My coach told me I was hitting too may inside in forehands and missing them, so I was trying to go more inside out and be more relaxed, wait for the right ball."

When Blumberg served for the match at 5-3, he coaxed a couple of errors from Kodali, but also made a key touch reflex volley off a drilled passing shot that kept his momentum going at 15-all. At 40-30, Blumberg fired an excellent first serve and put away the short return with a strong forehand to nip any drama in the bud.

The Winter National champion in the 12s, Blumberg, who reached the final of Les Petits As in January, is no stranger to important championship matches, and he has no special plans in preparation for this one.

"I just have to stay focused, set my plan out and be ready, not worry about what's going on around me, just on the court," said Blumberg, who lost in the first round at last year's Easter Bowl.

"I've been playing good tennis, I came back from France a while ago and continued my good tennis. In Claremont, Carson and here. I came and tried to play my best tennis and it's worked for me so far."
-zootennis

Old 04-14-2012, 05:47 PM   #43
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Blumberg wins the 14's title over Seelig 62 61 .

Old 04-15-2012, 01:24 AM   #44
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Pic Link

Quote:
Halebian received a scare from 14-year-old Stefan Kozlov, but was able to pull away for a 2-6, 7-6 (5), 6-2 victory to advance to the semifinals.

The 14-year-old Kozlov has played well the last couple weeks, reaching the boys' 18s finals of Carson, but couldn't quite get over the hump against the 17-year-old Halebian, an experienced veteran on the junior tennis tour.

Halebian, who won the final two points in the second-set tiebreak to keep the match going, was impressed by the play of Kozlov and says he has a great career ahead of him.

"He moves on the court very well and has great hands and is pretty solid from both sides," Halebian said. "His serve is not his best shot but he does a good job of spreading it around and he returns very well."Top boys 18s seeds roll on; Bellis stages an upset
Hopefully as he grow bigger, his serve will have more pop. But great job so far .

Last edited by SapELee : 04-15-2012 at 02:12 AM.
Old 04-15-2012, 02:42 AM   #45
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Pictures from the International Spring Championship last week (USTA Photogallery)

Francis Tiafoe

Stefan Kozlov