What achievements rate highest for each of the top 4 before they finish there career? - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 11-09-2014, 04:42 AM   #1
country flag 99isthebest

99isthebest has a reputation beyond repute99isthebest has a reputation beyond repute99isthebest has a reputation beyond repute99isthebest has a reputation beyond repute99isthebest has a reputation beyond repute99isthebest has a reputation beyond repute99isthebest has a reputation beyond repute99isthebest has a reputation beyond repute99isthebest has a reputation beyond repute99isthebest has a reputation beyond repute99isthebest has a reputation beyond repute
Default What achievements rate highest for each of the top 4 before they finish there career?

Nadal:

1: Beat Federer's Grand Slam Count. Even if Nadal can get his tally to 18 and Federer's stays on 17 Nadal will
be assured of being considered the GOAT especially with Federer having a bad h2h against him.

2: Complete a second CGS by winning the Australian open for a second time. Would be the only player to have done it
twice on different surfaces and in the open era. Could be a record that stands a long time considering how hard it
is for one player to excel on all surfaces, could also further help his case as an all rounder considering his large
amount of clay titles.

3: Gain at least 200 weeks at #1 and finish with more weeks then Djokovic. Unfortunately for Nadal he will never hold
the record for most weeks at #1 However the sheer amount of Gran Slams he's won will always point to the fact that
he was consistent enough to challenge the best and 200 weeks will put him at least up there with the all time greats
if he was also able to hold Djokovic off passing him it would also help his cause.

4: Keep the all time master's title's record. Currently on 20 Djokovic is still 7 away from Nadal however he's approaching
fast Nadal will need to consistently win at least 2-3 Master's a year as long as Djokovic's doing the same to keep him
at bay. This record could stand a long time.

5: Win Olympic Gold again at Rio 2016. Assuming Nadal is fit he will defiantly be a shot at winning this especially if the surface is
clay and with a 93% win rate on the surface Nadal will always be the favorite. This could see him not only be a dual gold
medalist but also have a 2nd GCGS.

Federer:

1: Get #18 or any amount of Grand Slam's necessary so that Nadal does not end up with the most Grand Slams of all time.
Federer knows that pitching his GOAT status will be oh so much harder if Nadal beats his Grand Slam record and also
has a largely lop sided h2h with him.

2: Win an 8th Wimbledon. Of course this achievement would help him with the first one I have stated but what Federer would
love more then getting #18 is being the sole holder of most titles at Wimbledon.

3: Win Olympic Gold. One of the things Federer doesn't have on his resume that he would desperately love to have. Federer
has already stated he wishes to keep playing until Rio 2016 but there's a lot of time between then and now and if it's held on
clay Federer will be far from favorite.

4: Get week's at #1 further up. Already at 302 Federer's record could stand a very long time so why not make it even harder for someone
to break.

5: Win a 2nd CGS. Federer is in the same boat as Nadal as he only need's one more slam to complete a 2nd CGS however that one slam is
Roland Garros and with Nadal fit and playing Roland Garros and Djokovic desperately wanting one the competition is very tight. Federer
has found some luck in draws in recent time's however and you never know.

Djokovic

1: Get to double figure's in Grand Slam count. Right now Djokovic is already with some great company on 7 Slams however should he push
futher on and get to double digit's he will be with even better company.

2: Win Roland Garros. It seems now you cannot consider yourself an all time great unless you conquer all surfaces and not only does
Djokovic have a chance to put himself among the elite men that already have a CGS he could do it beating the GOAT clay court player.

3: Win Cincinnati. If Djokovic were to win Cincinnati he would in my mind have a record that no one would beat for a very long time. Being
the only player to lift all 9 master's would give him a record that nor Federer or Nadal has and most likely will never get.

4: Win Olympic Gold. Another player who doesn't have Olympic Gold and would love to have one. Djokovic will still be a good enough player
come Rio 2016 to have a shot at gold, if held on clay it could hurt his chances slightly but he will defiantly be one of the favorites.
Couple this with a possible Roland Garros and Djokovic could see himself a GCGS holder.

5: Beat Nadal at weeks at #1. Already looks that Djokovic can do this however he'll have to keep his consistency in the master's tournaments
up and even try to win multiple Grand Slam's in a year.

Murray

1: Get to at least 5 Grand Slam titles. Murray defiantly has the potential to win more Grand Slam's unfortunately for him the era of tennis he
play's in is against 3 of the GOAT in Federer, Nadal, Djokovic who have combined for a whopping 38 Slam's. So 2 Slam's is not a bad effort however
Murray will defiantly want more knowing what he is capable of when playing his best. I think if Murray got to 5-7 Slam's he'd have an argument for
being one of the best of all time.

2: Finish year end #1. Murray while he's had good season's has never been able to be consistent enough to finish YE#1. If you finish YE#1 you are
instantly remembered as a great player.

3: Just be #1 at some point. Even a few weeks as #1 I'm sure Murray wouldn't resist when people look back at him he could say he was #1 even if it
was just for a week.

4: Be consistent at one Grand Slam Make a name for himself. Nadal has Roland Garros, Federer has Wimbledon, and more recently Djokovic has the
Australian Open. This achievement would obviously connect with the first one on this list but I'm sure Murray would love to make a name for
himself at one Grand Slam. For instance if he won 4 titles at Wimbledon he would be truly remembered as one of the best Grass courters of all
time.

5: Win 2nd Olympic Gold. Yes Murray already has one but if he were to win the 2016 Rio title he can say he won Two gold medals while Federer
Nadal and Djokovic were playing and couldn't do so themselves.

Here's what I think each player will strive for what do you think? Have i got them in the right order or is there anything else you think
they'll want more? Please dicuss.
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2014, 05:06 AM   #2
country flag DerekHV

DerekHV has a reputation beyond reputeDerekHV has a reputation beyond reputeDerekHV has a reputation beyond reputeDerekHV has a reputation beyond reputeDerekHV has a reputation beyond reputeDerekHV has a reputation beyond reputeDerekHV has a reputation beyond reputeDerekHV has a reputation beyond reputeDerekHV has a reputation beyond reputeDerekHV has a reputation beyond reputeDerekHV has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What achievements rate highest for each of the top 4 before they finish there car

Nadal 2nd AO (double career GS), Federer 8th Wimbledon (stand alone record), Novak double digit slams (with or w/o RG) -leap frogs 2nd tier greats, Murray win 5 Majors (esp more 2 or more Wimbys).
Old 11-09-2014, 05:18 AM   #3
country flag MrMarble

MrMarble has a reputation beyond reputeMrMarble has a reputation beyond reputeMrMarble has a reputation beyond reputeMrMarble has a reputation beyond reputeMrMarble has a reputation beyond reputeMrMarble has a reputation beyond reputeMrMarble has a reputation beyond reputeMrMarble has a reputation beyond reputeMrMarble has a reputation beyond reputeMrMarble has a reputation beyond reputeMrMarble has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What achievements rate highest for each of the top 4 before they finish there car

For Nadal breaking the GS record.
But one that you didn't mention that I find FAR more important in historical sense is getting 10 RG titles which would be the record for the ages. Since 17, 18 slams WILL be broken if not now then later. Might be the same case with masters titles, depending on how high Rafa can improve the record.

For Fed slam record.
Maybe Fed himself would pick OG.

For Nole RG title.

For Andy 5+ majors. (2 more slams)
Maybe Andy himself would pick #1.
MrMarble is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 05:22 AM   #4
country flag MrMarble

MrMarble has a reputation beyond reputeMrMarble has a reputation beyond reputeMrMarble has a reputation beyond reputeMrMarble has a reputation beyond reputeMrMarble has a reputation beyond reputeMrMarble has a reputation beyond reputeMrMarble has a reputation beyond reputeMrMarble has a reputation beyond reputeMrMarble has a reputation beyond reputeMrMarble has a reputation beyond reputeMrMarble has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekHV View Post
Nadal 2nd AO (double career GS)
I don't think having double career slam is much better than single. The idea of career slam is to have all the slams and not missing any. One could argue that it would improve Nadal's all-surface claim but I think that's just fedfan talk and in reality there's nothing wrong with Rafa's resume.
Old 11-09-2014, 05:24 AM   #5
country flag SerialKillerToBe

SerialKillerToBe has a reputation beyond reputeSerialKillerToBe has a reputation beyond reputeSerialKillerToBe has a reputation beyond reputeSerialKillerToBe has a reputation beyond reputeSerialKillerToBe has a reputation beyond reputeSerialKillerToBe has a reputation beyond reputeSerialKillerToBe has a reputation beyond reputeSerialKillerToBe has a reputation beyond reputeSerialKillerToBe has a reputation beyond reputeSerialKillerToBe has a reputation beyond reputeSerialKillerToBe has a reputation beyond repute

Nadal: By far, winning the WTF. Getting past 17 slams isn't as important because he's already considered the GOAT in most people eyes. Winning this tournament would mean he has a more complete resume than Federer's.

Federer: Winning 13 more times against Nadal. Sadly, impossible for the Fraud.

Djokovic: Winning RG obviously, and then winning Cincinnati and Olympics.

Murray: WHo cares really
SerialKillerToBe is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 05:26 AM   #6
country flag MrMarble

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekHV View Post
Federer 8th Wimbledon (stand alone record)
Good point. And that record would likely last longer than slam record...
Old 11-09-2014, 05:28 AM   #7
country flag MrMarble

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipolymer View Post
Nadal: By far, winning the WTF.
Yeah, right.

Old 11-09-2014, 05:32 AM   #8

SerialKillerToBe has a reputation beyond reputeSerialKillerToBe has a reputation beyond reputeSerialKillerToBe has a reputation beyond reputeSerialKillerToBe has a reputation beyond reputeSerialKillerToBe has a reputation beyond reputeSerialKillerToBe has a reputation beyond reputeSerialKillerToBe has a reputation beyond reputeSerialKillerToBe has a reputation beyond reputeSerialKillerToBe has a reputation beyond reputeSerialKillerToBe has a reputation beyond reputeSerialKillerToBe has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMarble View Post
Yeah, right.

It's the 5th most important tournament...
Old 11-09-2014, 05:36 AM   #9
country flag MrMarble

Quote:
It's the 15th most important tournament...
Fixed
Old 11-09-2014, 05:39 AM   #10

Quote:
Fixed
Dumb trolling will get you nowhere. At least put some intelligence in your trolling.
Old 11-09-2014, 05:40 AM   #11
country flag pepita1964

pepita1964 has a reputation beyond reputepepita1964 has a reputation beyond reputepepita1964 has a reputation beyond reputepepita1964 has a reputation beyond reputepepita1964 has a reputation beyond reputepepita1964 has a reputation beyond reputepepita1964 has a reputation beyond reputepepita1964 has a reputation beyond reputepepita1964 has a reputation beyond reputepepita1964 has a reputation beyond reputepepita1964 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
For Nadal breaking the GS record.
But one that you didn't mention that I find FAR more important in historical sense is getting 10 RG titles which would be the record for the ages. Since 17, 18 slams WILL be broken if not now then later. Might be the same case with masters titles, depending on how high Rafa can improve the record.

For Fed slam record.
Maybe Fed himself would pick OG.

For Nole RG title.

For Andy 5+ majors. (2 more slams)
Maybe Andy himself would pick #1.

Do you know that Nadal will be 29 next year ? Let see how he is going to play or guys will think they can beat him now easier . If Klizan can beat him why they can not? Del Potro is coming back an he is younger than Nadal is. Nishikori is getting better ,Murray gets back in form slowly. There are many guys who can beat him and some really believe it.
pepita1964 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 05:46 AM   #12
country flag MrMarble

Quote:
Dumb trolling will get you nowhere. At least put some intelligence in your trolling.
There was some idea... slams+OG+masters = 14...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepita1964 View Post
Do you know that Nadal will be 29 next year ?
Ummm, yes, but not sure how that is relevant to my post...
Old 11-09-2014, 05:53 AM   #13
country flag Absolute Anthropoid
Skyward!

Absolute Anthropoid has a reputation beyond reputeAbsolute Anthropoid has a reputation beyond reputeAbsolute Anthropoid has a reputation beyond reputeAbsolute Anthropoid has a reputation beyond reputeAbsolute Anthropoid has a reputation beyond reputeAbsolute Anthropoid has a reputation beyond reputeAbsolute Anthropoid has a reputation beyond reputeAbsolute Anthropoid has a reputation beyond reputeAbsolute Anthropoid has a reputation beyond reputeAbsolute Anthropoid has a reputation beyond reputeAbsolute Anthropoid has a reputation beyond repute

If Nadull can keep his Ponzi Scheme afloat for the next 10 years - that's already an incredible achievement. Failing that... I guess he could win the WTF once and actually give himself some credibility to be compared among the likes of Roger and Sampras.

As for Roger, an 18th slam and 350 weeks would be absolutely incredible. Though I'm already satisfied with his career. Under the worst circumstances with a younger (5 years) rival with an extreme match-up advantage, he still managed 17 slams and over 300 weeks at #1. He still managed to become the GOAT*.

If Roger played 100 careers, he would average at around 22 slams and between 350-400 weeks at #1 - in this aspect, he has underachieved. That's why #18 would erase some of that disappointment. Because he would be going on 34, and even 35 if he were to win the US Open in 2015.

* If eras can be compared.

Simple as that. Everything else comes second.

The Official "Is Nadal Balding?" Thread
Absolute Anthropoid is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 07:11 AM   #14
country flag cmchelsea

cmchelsea has a reputation beyond reputecmchelsea has a reputation beyond reputecmchelsea has a reputation beyond reputecmchelsea has a reputation beyond reputecmchelsea has a reputation beyond reputecmchelsea has a reputation beyond reputecmchelsea has a reputation beyond reputecmchelsea has a reputation beyond reputecmchelsea has a reputation beyond reputecmchelsea has a reputation beyond reputecmchelsea has a reputation beyond repute

I think for murray one of his main goals should be to win the australian open,he has been close a few times(3 finals)so that remains a realistic goal for him,another goal should be winning a title on clay even a 250 event and try and improve his clay court game,if he doesn't improve this area of his game he has no chance of ever being a world no1
cmchelsea is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 01:55 PM   #15
country flag masterclass

masterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond repute

#1 Novak Djokovic
1. At least one more US Open - he is too good of a hard court player to only have 1. I think it would taint his record more to only have 1 US Open title while winning Roland Garros even if that means a career slam. Of course both would be nice.

2. Roland Garros - career slam obviously. Should be able to get one or more as Nadal declines further with injury and age before he declines and other players rise. But winning it might be a double edged sword. He might lose motivation to do much more, especially with family in tow.

3. More year end #1 and weeks at #1.

4. Complete set of Masters is in reach in Cinci.

#2 Roger Federer
What's left? It's almost all gravy.

1. Davis Cup championship - ok, but it's a team achievement, not individual, but he and Switzerland have never won, so definitely a worthy goal, and it's in reach this year.

2. Reaching Number 1 yet again as the oldest player would be great for him, not so good for others in other generations.

3. More slams - Another Wimbledon puts him alone at the top in history. Another US Open or Australian Open puts him alone in the Open Era. Any major won raises his already record number.

4. More titles - at 82 and counting, his next target is Lendl at 94, doable if he can maintain somewhere near his current level for 2 or 3 years or just plays longer like other greats of the past. If he can stay in the top 8, who knows how long he will play and how many titles he can win?

#3 Rafael Nadal

1. Play a full season without injury, sadly may not be realistic anymore.

2. Win the World Tour Finals. It is a major blot on the record of one of the greatest players in the sport, where he has failed against the other top 7 players, but requires #1 factor of health to be realistic. He must be healthy enough to play and compete and by the end of the year. It's also probably his worst conditions for him to play in, but he's reached 2 finals, so with some luck it could happen, and I think given his overall stature, should happen, but he still needs some good luck.

3. Win another Australian Open? - might be nice for the double career slam, but the tournament has been very costly to him in terms of injuries and defeats. It might be time to let it go as other greats did in the past, and just start his season on clay. I think if he puts in a big enough effort to win it, it will cost him Roland Garros, just as it did in 2009. Of course that may be acceptable to him, I don't know how highly he values the tournament. I've recently heard him talk about his bad luck there, so I don't know.

4. Win more slams - he's getting closer to Federer, but he is getting older and playing less due to injury, etc. His window on catching him will be closing, especially as younger players start to reach their peak, or if Federer can somehow eke out 1 or 2 more.

5. Win the most clay titles in the Open era - He will soon eclipse Vilas' record (46) on clay if he stays healthy. He has 45.

#4 Stan Wawrinka

1. Win Davis Cup - it is by far his biggest goal. Yes, it's a team event, but when you have one of the all time greats in Federer on your team, and you're a slam winner and #4 in the world you know it's up to you to play your best and not fold like a cheap tent, or get deservedly thrown under the bus. It's a tremendous amount of pressure on him and it could be a crucial point in his career. Success and he'll gain a lot of confidence. Failure and it could affect him the rest of his career.

2. Be more consistent throughout the year. Win some more masters here or there. For example, I think if he could win a couple of clay masters over some top players, especially Djokovic or Nadal, he might get the confidence needed to play very well at Roland Garros. He certainly has the game on clay to do it.

3. Win some more majors either in Melbourne, Paris, or New York. With some luck and a good run it could happen at any of those venues.

4. Do well at the World Tour Finals. A final would be extremely good for him. I believe he's beaten every player this year except Nishikori, and still has a 2-1 H2H advantage against him.

Respectfully,
masterclass

Last edited by masterclass : 11-09-2014 at 06:42 PM.
masterclass is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote