Stan "The Man" Wawrinka a good sleeper for the RG title! - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 04-08-2015, 11:48 PM   #1
country flag The Fogmeister
Bring It On!

The Fogmeister has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fogmeister has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fogmeister has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fogmeister has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fogmeister has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fogmeister has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fogmeister has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fogmeister has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fogmeister has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fogmeister has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fogmeister has a reputation beyond repute
Default Stan "The Man" Wawrinka a good sleeper for the RG title!

No kidding!

There is no need to explain why he's a tough matchup to Djokovic, since every single match they played in BO5 went to the decider.

I think he's also a very tough matchup for this version of Nadal. Rafa is playing short, his heavy top spin is not nearly as effective as it was in the pass and is heavy attackable. I think he's very prone to be defeated by OHBH guys these days as he was before and unlike guys like Federer or Dimitrov, Wawrinka has the backhand to attack short ball for 3-4 hours without tiring out his deltoid, so he can be a tough matchup even on clay.

Of course, he's also prone to losing to a random mug in every day, but if he can get throught the first week, well, he'll be very dangerous.

Stan the Man is my pick to win RG 2015!

Last edited by The Fogmeister : 04-08-2015 at 11:51 PM.
The Fogmeister is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2015, 11:50 PM   #2
country flag JoWilly

JoWilly has a reputation beyond reputeJoWilly has a reputation beyond reputeJoWilly has a reputation beyond reputeJoWilly has a reputation beyond reputeJoWilly has a reputation beyond reputeJoWilly has a reputation beyond reputeJoWilly has a reputation beyond reputeJoWilly has a reputation beyond reputeJoWilly has a reputation beyond reputeJoWilly has a reputation beyond reputeJoWilly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Stan "The Man" Wawrinka a good sleeper for the RG title!

It's hard to tell with Stan. It could go either way with him. He could have a shock loss to someone random or he could be a dark horse for the title. Hopefully the latter

DJOKOVIC

FEDERER
DEL PO-DIMITROV-MURRAY-WAWRINKA-GASQUET-JANOWICZ-BERDYCH

TENNIS MUG- NADAL= Excuses, bending the rules, fluke 2010, weak clay field, classless celebrations, lucky draws, first player to lose 3 consecutive GS finals to the same man, 3 consecutive losses to players ranked outside 100 at Wimbledon including injured Darcis, only beats injured or UE strewn Djoko or Fed, embarrassed by Stronga. VAMOS!
JoWilly is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 11:53 PM   #3
country flag rocketassist

rocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond repute

There's 4 candidates to win it, 2 of them absolute mountains ahead of the other 2, and he's one of the 'other 2'- and the one I'd root for.
Old 04-08-2015, 11:53 PM   #4
country flag Bradley~

Bradley~ has a reputation beyond reputeBradley~ has a reputation beyond reputeBradley~ has a reputation beyond reputeBradley~ has a reputation beyond reputeBradley~ has a reputation beyond reputeBradley~ has a reputation beyond reputeBradley~ has a reputation beyond reputeBradley~ has a reputation beyond reputeBradley~ has a reputation beyond reputeBradley~ has a reputation beyond reputeBradley~ has a reputation beyond repute

He's always had up and down results. He's only reached the QF of either IW/Miami twice. So I'm not sure if those results will be indicative of how he'll play on clay.

He's far too inconsistent for it to be a safe bet though
Stan doesn't construct point he just ballbashes. They guy hit the ball @ 100 mph everytime. That's all there is to his game. Even then he was push to the limit. If novak played like that ballbashin/redlining game with nothing to lose stan would be hit of the court.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladoz View Post
i would describe it more as Tokyo or New York..
Wawrinka was just a terrorist who blew away a building or two, so we where in semi-ruins..
Bradley~ is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 12:12 AM   #5
country flag Claybot
All praise Lord Gulbis

Claybot has a reputation beyond reputeClaybot has a reputation beyond reputeClaybot has a reputation beyond reputeClaybot has a reputation beyond reputeClaybot has a reputation beyond reputeClaybot has a reputation beyond reputeClaybot has a reputation beyond reputeClaybot has a reputation beyond reputeClaybot has a reputation beyond reputeClaybot has a reputation beyond reputeClaybot has a reputation beyond repute

It's not out of the book imo. He can benefit from a good week and the rest of the field clowning which has been a constant for the past two weeks. If Wawrinka plays well he can beat anyone on the clay but peak Nadal but that is an utopia right now. He can even beat the guy everyone is saying is unbeatable
Old 04-09-2015, 12:14 AM   #6
country flag Sharkpova

Sharkpova has a reputation beyond reputeSharkpova has a reputation beyond reputeSharkpova has a reputation beyond reputeSharkpova has a reputation beyond reputeSharkpova has a reputation beyond reputeSharkpova has a reputation beyond reputeSharkpova has a reputation beyond reputeSharkpova has a reputation beyond reputeSharkpova has a reputation beyond reputeSharkpova has a reputation beyond reputeSharkpova has a reputation beyond repute

I get the feeling Federer is going to win Roland Garros this year.

Assuming he avoids Gulbis along the way! But I can see him taking out Djoker again, probably in the final.

Clayray 2.0

Novak Djokovic | Gilles Simon | Grigor Dimitrov
Sharkpova is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 12:47 AM   #7
country flag JamesXP

JamesXP has a reputation beyond reputeJamesXP has a reputation beyond reputeJamesXP has a reputation beyond reputeJamesXP has a reputation beyond reputeJamesXP has a reputation beyond reputeJamesXP has a reputation beyond reputeJamesXP has a reputation beyond reputeJamesXP has a reputation beyond reputeJamesXP has a reputation beyond reputeJamesXP has a reputation beyond reputeJamesXP has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkpova View Post

Assuming he avoids Gulbis along the way! But I can see him taking out Djoker again, probably in the final.
Not happening. If Fed can't beat the likes of Gulbis then he can't win the FO. However, he choked so badly against Gulbis it wasn't funny. Remember He was 7-6 5-3 40-15 up with two set points to go up two sets.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBkeeper View Post
Nadal only goes to the net when the ball is 200% sure
About Querrey:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murray Mint View Post
He's got the kind of face that suggests he enjoys trolling his fans. Look at that grin as he's about to serve: he knows he's about to choke away a winnable match, he accepts it, and he relishes the disappointment he creates. And there's no one better in the role.
JamesXP is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 12:51 AM   #8
country flag VictorP

VictorP has a reputation beyond reputeVictorP has a reputation beyond reputeVictorP has a reputation beyond reputeVictorP has a reputation beyond reputeVictorP has a reputation beyond reputeVictorP has a reputation beyond reputeVictorP has a reputation beyond reputeVictorP has a reputation beyond reputeVictorP has a reputation beyond reputeVictorP has a reputation beyond reputeVictorP has a reputation beyond repute

Mark my words, Murray will win RG
VictorP is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 01:16 AM   #9
country flag philosophicalarf

philosophicalarf has a reputation beyond reputephilosophicalarf has a reputation beyond reputephilosophicalarf has a reputation beyond reputephilosophicalarf has a reputation beyond reputephilosophicalarf has a reputation beyond reputephilosophicalarf has a reputation beyond reputephilosophicalarf has a reputation beyond reputephilosophicalarf has a reputation beyond reputephilosophicalarf has a reputation beyond reputephilosophicalarf has a reputation beyond reputephilosophicalarf has a reputation beyond repute

Wawrinka also a good sleeper to lose in R1 to a qualifier.
philosophicalarf is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 01:29 AM   #10
country flag thrust

thrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoWilly View Post
It's hard to tell with Stan. It could go either way with him. He could have a shock loss to someone random or he could be a dark horse for the title. Hopefully the latter
I doubt that Stan will ever reach another slam final. He was lucky to win the one he did, especially in the final.
thrust is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 02:35 AM   #11
country flag Moonball Pusher
Banned!

Moonball Pusher has a reputation beyond reputeMoonball Pusher has a reputation beyond reputeMoonball Pusher has a reputation beyond reputeMoonball Pusher has a reputation beyond reputeMoonball Pusher has a reputation beyond reputeMoonball Pusher has a reputation beyond reputeMoonball Pusher has a reputation beyond reputeMoonball Pusher has a reputation beyond reputeMoonball Pusher has a reputation beyond reputeMoonball Pusher has a reputation beyond reputeMoonball Pusher has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkpova View Post

Strong jinx attempt
Moonball Pusher is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 03:00 AM   #12
country flag Jamvol

Jamvol has a reputation beyond reputeJamvol has a reputation beyond reputeJamvol has a reputation beyond reputeJamvol has a reputation beyond reputeJamvol has a reputation beyond reputeJamvol has a reputation beyond reputeJamvol has a reputation beyond reputeJamvol has a reputation beyond reputeJamvol has a reputation beyond reputeJamvol has a reputation beyond reputeJamvol has a reputation beyond repute

Definitely possible with the right draw. Imagine if there is a Federer - Murray half, neither would reach the final imo and someone like Wawrinka could well take advantage.

As a Djokovic fan I would be pretty terrified if he has to play Stan in the RG final .
Old 04-09-2015, 07:54 AM   #13
country flag passingshotDTL
~♥ Magnus Norman ♥~

passingshotDTL has a reputation beyond reputepassingshotDTL has a reputation beyond reputepassingshotDTL has a reputation beyond reputepassingshotDTL has a reputation beyond reputepassingshotDTL has a reputation beyond reputepassingshotDTL has a reputation beyond reputepassingshotDTL has a reputation beyond reputepassingshotDTL has a reputation beyond reputepassingshotDTL has a reputation beyond reputepassingshotDTL has a reputation beyond reputepassingshotDTL has a reputation beyond repute

It depends. You never know with Stan. He could go out to Garcia-Lopez in the first round. Or he could turn on his form and roar his way into the final (as long as he doesn't have to face Rafa along the way, because AO final aside, Rafa-on-clay is probably too much for him).
Paire
passingshotDTL is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 07:58 AM   #14
country flag passingshotDTL
~♥ Magnus Norman ♥~

passingshotDTL has a reputation beyond reputepassingshotDTL has a reputation beyond reputepassingshotDTL has a reputation beyond reputepassingshotDTL has a reputation beyond reputepassingshotDTL has a reputation beyond reputepassingshotDTL has a reputation beyond reputepassingshotDTL has a reputation beyond reputepassingshotDTL has a reputation beyond reputepassingshotDTL has a reputation beyond reputepassingshotDTL has a reputation beyond reputepassingshotDTL has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrust View Post
I doubt that Stan will ever reach another slam final. He was lucky to win the one he did, especially in the final.
He's been QFs or better in 6 of the last 8 Grand Slams, including two SFs and a win. That's putting yourself in the hunt. If he got a good draw and was in form, he's fully capable of getting to another final. (Of course, he could also go out first round. But I'll take inconsistently brilliant over consistently plodding any day.)
Paire
passingshotDTL is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 08:24 AM   #15
country flag pepita1964

pepita1964 has a reputation beyond reputepepita1964 has a reputation beyond reputepepita1964 has a reputation beyond reputepepita1964 has a reputation beyond reputepepita1964 has a reputation beyond reputepepita1964 has a reputation beyond reputepepita1964 has a reputation beyond reputepepita1964 has a reputation beyond reputepepita1964 has a reputation beyond reputepepita1964 has a reputation beyond reputepepita1964 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingshotDTL View Post
He's been QFs or better in 6 of the last 8 Grand Slams, including two SFs and a win. That's putting yourself in the hunt. If he got a good draw and was in form, he's fully capable of getting to another final. (Of course, he could also go out first round. But I'll take inconsistently brilliant over consistently plodding any day.)

Stan lost in 1rd at FO last year to Galermo G Lopez. In Madrid he lost to Thiem in 2rd. In Rome he lost to Haas in 3rd. He was so lucky to win MC.
pepita1964 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote