2012 Hardcourt all the way! 100% going forward! Hopefully. - Page 95 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 10-25-2012, 04:20 PM   #1411
country flag Gilloulou

Gilloulou has a reputation beyond reputeGilloulou has a reputation beyond reputeGilloulou has a reputation beyond reputeGilloulou has a reputation beyond reputeGilloulou has a reputation beyond reputeGilloulou has a reputation beyond reputeGilloulou has a reputation beyond reputeGilloulou has a reputation beyond reputeGilloulou has a reputation beyond reputeGilloulou has a reputation beyond reputeGilloulou has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2012 Hardcourt all the way! 100% going forward! Hopefully.

i've seen him a few times this year, including the first set today, there's just no sting to his shots anymore. if the play is mediocre he's satisfied with it and just rarely seem to able to pick up his level. if the other player starts hitting better, you get the feel he has nothing to offer as a strike back - pretty fatal for someone who is considered a counter-attacker.

i remember the match at RG against wawrinka, it was a too good example of the this season looked. seemingly he had the match but could not bare to up his game a fraction when it mattered, and when the opponent did - he was left blemish and out of sorts. as if the tennis game progressed and left him behind. at past times, he could do a lot of damage and unsettle his opponents. today, he's just content hitting back the ball, most of the time not even deep enough and certainly not strong to do any damage. and when you do that but still unable to sting using the others' shots, you're basically counting on luck. at today's game that's not even worth a top 20. soon enough he'll join the likes of Fognini, occasionally making 3rd or 4th round, filling in the troopers of the 30 to 50 rankings, instead of producing his best years in tennis.

so who thinks he will recover and shine again? we should do a poll!
Gilloulou is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2012, 04:32 PM   #1412
country flag lalaland

lalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilleSimonAddict View Post
At this point, I fear for Gilles Simon's future as a top 20, hell, even a top 30 player at this point if he doesn't right the ship and get his head on straight. It feels pretty hopeless right now. The list of players who we don't want Gilles to have to face keeps growing because he can't beat them anymore. He used to only struggle against the very best.

I agree with you, but i'm not so sure that next year will be any better unfortunately. I think his best days are behind him and he's peaked unfortunately. I kept telling myself that that wasn't the case and that he had top 10 and definitely top 15 level ability still left in him, but I think it's become pretty obvious that that isn't the case anymore. I guess I just have to come to terms with that and admit it to myself now. He just doesn't have that fire and belief and no sense of fear that he had in 2008/2009. I'll keep hoping for a turnaround, but as it stands right now, it feels pretty matter of fact.
Well, if I'm not throwing my towel yet, that's not because I'm in denial.
He could have peaked already, that I agree, doesn't mean that now is only downhill. I mean, thank goodness that he was at the highest 6 in the world, that gives him a lot of room to suck and still be at Top 20. And to me, that's where he belongs now and I'm content with that. If he doesn't go back to Top 10, to me he's not a failure from now on. I think Top 20 is not bad. And I think he can suck and still beat a lot of players out there. Look at this year, he hardly has good play all year long, I can only consider Monte Carlo as a very good tournament for him, other times, he's playing 1 good match and 1 bad. He's still in Top 20 (having said that though, he could very well lose the Top 20 spot in the last week of the year ). But I don't know, I just don't think it's really that hard to keep himself at Top 20.

I have always believe in Gilles' ability to challenge himself. It really do seem to me that every time I'm about to lose all hope, he bounced back. I think when he gets desperate, when he feels his back is against the wall, he will pick himself up. I think his mind is set to never let himself fallen too far. You can call it blind faith but I have it on him. And I think when he really cannot put up that fight anymore, that's because his body fails him, not his mind. So I think he's really quite okay.

I mean, what he said about parting with Tutu, he said he felt stuck (at this level). He thought maybe that's all he is now. If he really thought he has reached the limit and there's no point of trying anymore, then I don't think he'll decide that he needs to change things up. To get rid of Tutu is a very hard decision, I mean, I think Tutu is much more than a coach to him. To me, it's an indication that the desire to get better is still there. How to change he doesn't know, but he's willing to try diff things in hope that he can get it right. That's always been his attitude and that still is. That just tells me that he's still the Gilles that I always believe in and as long as his desire to get better is still there, then I want to believe.
lalaland is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 04:32 PM   #1413
country flag Gillouthe best

Gillouthe best has a reputation beyond reputeGillouthe best has a reputation beyond reputeGillouthe best has a reputation beyond reputeGillouthe best has a reputation beyond reputeGillouthe best has a reputation beyond reputeGillouthe best has a reputation beyond reputeGillouthe best has a reputation beyond reputeGillouthe best has a reputation beyond reputeGillouthe best has a reputation beyond reputeGillouthe best has a reputation beyond reputeGillouthe best has a reputation beyond repute

Well, he's gonna be 28 soon, but his body is holding up well ( he seems to be running like in his best days IMO) and many players have been top-10 at 30 so I think there's still hope that he can reenter top-10. Don't forget he was really close in the clay season, and that despite the awful losses he's had he has shown us some glimpses of brilliance this year like in Monte-Carlo or in Bangkok till the final. Also, he played two GS half-injured ( AO + USO) and he missed Cincy + played injured in Toronto, where he could have got points. His best years are running out though, so I think 2013 should be one of his last chances to do sthng big. Just hope he plays well in Bercy, but that's too much to ask for as he is always a mess there. And the last thing, atm things without Tutu ain't going well [ R1 + R2 + R2] so if things keep going like this it wouldn't be a bad idea to get him back or another coach.
Old 10-25-2012, 04:57 PM   #1414
country flag lalaland

lalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilloulou View Post
i've seen him a few times this year, including the first set today, there's just no sting to his shots anymore. if the play is mediocre he's satisfied with it and just rarely seem to able to pick up his level. if the other player starts hitting better, you get the feel he has nothing to offer as a strike back - pretty fatal for someone who is considered a counter-attacker.
Well, you can say that. I know the good plays are few and far in between, but they are still there. Is John Isner a much better player? His ranking is only there because of a really good spring hard court swing in the States. In Top 20, there's not a lot of players that are consistently great. They shone in 2-3 tournaments good enough to keep them afloat. Gilles is no different. Yes, he's mediocre 3/4 of the season, so are most of them. Really, I'm thinking these days, being at Top 20 is not that hard, you only need a few good tournaments here and there. And if you are more consistent then a few good tournaments, you are there at Top 10, that would be Tipsy. And no disrespect to him even if I don't like him, but I think he put up consistency this year when he was never consistent before, hence deserving his Top 10.

Quote:
i remember the match at RG against wawrinka, it was a too good example of the this season looked. seemingly he had the match but could not bare to up his game a fraction when it mattered, and when the opponent did - he was left blemish and out of sorts. as if the tennis game progressed and left him behind. at past times, he could do a lot of damage and unsettle his opponents. today, he's just content hitting back the ball, most of the time not even deep enough and certainly not strong to do any damage. and when you do that but still unable to sting using the others' shots, you're basically counting on luck. at today's game that's not even worth a top 20. soon enough he'll join the likes of Fognini, occasionally making 3rd or 4th round, filling in the troopers of the 30 to 50 rankings, instead of producing his best years in tennis.
No excuse in the Wawrinka match, it's his own damn fault that he lost. But is that match his typical match that we should assume he always play like that? If so, then of course he doesn't deserve anything. If he kept losing matches playing like that Wawa match, I think he'll get the clue and retire himself. He said it himself that there's a lot to regrets in that loss, and if he only regrets but learn nothing from it, then I agree, he's not worth a Top 20. And if you are basing this match to predict that's how he's going to play from now on, then I guess there's really no point of following. I mean, I don't know. I think his slam losses are pretty shameful this year, but I'm not going to think that's how he will play from now on. I prefer remembering the Tipsy match in MC and Bangkok, knowing that he can turn up and play great too.

Quote:
so who thinks he will recover and shine again? we should do a poll!
Yes, let's do a poll.

Should I count you in as a NO?

So 1 No (you), 1 Yes (me).
Old 10-25-2012, 05:07 PM   #1415
country flag GilleSimonAddict

GilleSimonAddict has a reputation beyond reputeGilleSimonAddict has a reputation beyond reputeGilleSimonAddict has a reputation beyond reputeGilleSimonAddict has a reputation beyond reputeGilleSimonAddict has a reputation beyond reputeGilleSimonAddict has a reputation beyond reputeGilleSimonAddict has a reputation beyond reputeGilleSimonAddict has a reputation beyond reputeGilleSimonAddict has a reputation beyond reputeGilleSimonAddict has a reputation beyond reputeGilleSimonAddict has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalaland View Post
Well, if I'm not throwing my towel yet, that's not because I'm in denial.
He could have peaked already, that I agree, doesn't mean that now is only downhill. I mean, thank goodness that he was at the highest 6 in the world, that gives him a lot of room to suck and still be at Top 20. And to me, that's where he belongs now and I'm content with that. If he doesn't go back to Top 10, to me he's not a failure from now on. I think Top 20 is not bad. And I think he can suck and still beat a lot of players out there. Look at this year, he hardly has good play all year long, I can only consider Monte Carlo as a very good tournament for him, other times, he's playing 1 good match and 1 bad. He's still in Top 20 (having said that though, he could very well lose the Top 20 spot in the last week of the year ). But I don't know, I just don't think it's really that hard to keep himself at Top 20.

I have always believe in Gilles' ability to challenge himself. It really do seem to me that every time I'm about to lose all hope, he bounced back. I think when he gets desperate, when he feels his back is against the wall, he will pick himself up. I think his mind is set to never let himself fallen too far. You can call it blind faith but I have it on him. And I think when he really cannot put up that fight anymore, that's because his body fails him, not his mind. So I think he's really quite okay.

I mean, what he said about parting with Tutu, he said he felt stuck (at this level). He thought maybe that's all he is now. If he really thought he has reached the limit and there's no point of trying anymore, then I don't think he'll decide that he needs to change things up. To get rid of Tutu is a very hard decision, I mean, I think Tutu is much more than a coach to him. To me, it's an indication that the desire to get better is still there. How to change he doesn't know, but he's willing to try diff things in hope that he can get it right. That's always been his attitude and that still is. That just tells me that he's still the Gilles that I always believe in and as long as his desire to get better is still there, then I want to believe.
I hope so. I really do. And I would be ok with top 20 too. It's just that for me, the way he is playing right now, I'm not sure he will even be able to manage that. If he can, great. I'm just saying that for me personally, i'm pretty much giving up on the top 10/15 at this point. His game and consistency just isn't there for it. At least not right now.

I'll keep supporting him and being a fan though till the day he does retire. Same way i've done with Safin, Roddick, and now Ferrero before him and will continue to do with Hewitt. I'm just loyal like that. But I definitely am shaken up right now. This season has been brutal for him and subsequently us.
GilleSimonAddict is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 05:35 PM   #1416
country flag lalaland

Quote:
It's just that for me, the way he is playing right now, I'm not sure he will even be able to manage that. If he can, great. I'm just saying that for me personally, i'm pretty much giving up on the top 10/15 at this point. His game and consistency just isn't there for it. At least not right now.
The fact that he is not consistent, that means he's not doing the right things all the time, otherwise, he'll be winning a lot more. I mean, watching him the end of last year and you'd think he's done and dusted, wouldn't you (he was bagelled by Monaco, FFS)? To me, this is happening again. Surely, there's more uncertainties this year, he has no coach, he's older than last year, his kid's getting older, his priority could change...And the very bad ending last year, in a way continued this year too, hence a very mediocre year. I don't know, I think give me another 3 mths of sucky play next year then I'll probably begin to lose hope.

I know there's no point of knowing the potential when you can't perform to that potential high level. But when you see that brilliance once in awhile, you know it's still there and you know he can still produce it once in awhile. That's why I don't even think we are at the territory of giving up. I mean, it's too early to even talk about giving up, to me anyway.

Quote:
I'll keep supporting him and being a fan though till the day he does retire. Same way i've done with Safin, Roddick, and now Ferrero before him and will continue to do with Hewitt. I'm just loyal like that. But I definitely am shaken up right now. This season has been brutal for him and subsequently us.
I'm not sure how my support will be like. I'm loyal too, I thought. But Ferrero didn't really play that much after 2005 because of illness and injuries and I got really jaded with tennis for awhile after that. Until I become a Gilles fan that I get back to my diehard way. Now I can't say I'm a proud Ferrero fan since I felt I've let him down , and he retired and I really don't feel much, that makes me sad. I hope I will support Gilles until he retires but I can't be sure. I just know that for now, my support is as strong as ever and it will take quite a bit of discouragements before I will jump off his wagon. But what I feel about Gilles is quite different from Juanqui. Ferrero is a champion, #1 in the world and won a slam. Gilles is no comparison to him, but Gilles is such a smart guy that I think once he retires from tennis, his new life will be even greater than this, I keep thinking that he will be in politics or sth. , I'm so off-topic now. But what I want to say is that I got a feeling that I will even follow Gilles after he retires, cos he is meant for something great, even greater than a tennis champ, I feel.
Old 10-25-2012, 05:41 PM   #1417
country flag The Prince

The Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond repute

I think Gillou will return to the 9-16 bracket in 2013. That's where I feel he belongs. And he should be able to do it, of he's healthy for most of the season.
The Prince is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 06:29 PM   #1418
country flag Gilloulou

Gilloulou has a reputation beyond reputeGilloulou has a reputation beyond reputeGilloulou has a reputation beyond reputeGilloulou has a reputation beyond reputeGilloulou has a reputation beyond reputeGilloulou has a reputation beyond reputeGilloulou has a reputation beyond reputeGilloulou has a reputation beyond reputeGilloulou has a reputation beyond reputeGilloulou has a reputation beyond reputeGilloulou has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalaland View Post

Yes, let's do a poll.

Should I count you in as a NO?

So 1 No (you), 1 Yes (me).
hehe, i'm a die hard optimistic, so don't assume too easily :] i vote for yes :]
Old 10-25-2012, 06:42 PM   #1419
country flag lalaland

Quote:
hehe, i'm a die hard optimistic, so don't assume too easily :] i vote for yes :]
LOL. Your doomday scenario of Gilles joining the Fognini ranks had me thinking...nevermind

2 for Yes. 100%
Old 10-26-2012, 05:29 PM   #1420

Gillouthe best has a reputation beyond reputeGillouthe best has a reputation beyond reputeGillouthe best has a reputation beyond reputeGillouthe best has a reputation beyond reputeGillouthe best has a reputation beyond reputeGillouthe best has a reputation beyond reputeGillouthe best has a reputation beyond reputeGillouthe best has a reputation beyond reputeGillouthe best has a reputation beyond reputeGillouthe best has a reputation beyond reputeGillouthe best has a reputation beyond repute

The horrible luck continues, R1 vs Baghdatis and R2 vs Federer on Paris , just hope he wins vs Baggy.

His section:

(1) Federer vs Bye
Simon vs Baghdatis
Paire vs Andujar
(15) Nishikori vs Bye

Last edited by Gillouthe best : 10-27-2012 at 07:26 AM.
Gillouthe best is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 02:57 AM   #1421
country flag mike s.

mike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond repute

Everyone's making me very depressed in here, it's only Valencia guys . He definitely seems worn down but that's understandable considering all the injury problems this year. Hopefully he can get healthy in the off season and find a coaching situation that works for him. He just needs to be a little more aggressive in certain moments and he'll be fine.
Old 10-27-2012, 04:35 AM   #1422
country flag lalaland

I probably don't mind if he loses to Baggy. I mean, he's pretty much in the same form as last year this time, and considered that he was bageled by Monaco in Bercy last year, not sure if I want to see how he fares against Fed on a super fast surface like Bercy .
Old 10-28-2012, 10:03 AM   #1423
country flag Gilloulou

just to think that 4 years ago he beat Fed on a surface like that. anyway, might as well finish the year with a loss to a world no. 1 - if, and a big if, he wins first round.

btw, anyone knows which preparation tourney he signed for before AO 2013?
Old 10-28-2012, 06:17 PM   #1424
country flag lalaland

My bad, actually, to think about it, I want him to win the first match. He's at 18 in the Race now, Kohli is 45 pts behind him, Nishikori is 65. Haas is not in Paris, and those behind Haas will need SF to catch him. So I think he's quite safe to stay in Top 20. But if he wins a match, he'll be able to secure that for sure. So that first match is important too. So let's win it Gilles. Fingers crossed. Baggy leads 2-1 HtoH.

He plays Baggy tomorrow on Center Court, not before 7:30pm. Allez Gilles.
Old 10-28-2012, 07:08 PM   #1425

Allez Gilles against Baghdatis, he needs to win here like lala says to keep a decent ranking.