2012 Hardcourt all the way! 100% going forward! Hopefully. - Page 94 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 10-25-2012, 02:27 PM   #1396
country flag lalaland

lalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2012 Hardcourt all the way! 100% going forward! Hopefully.

Great, 2 DF in a game and lost his serve down 1-3.

And thanks to that, Granollers picking up his game a bit too. Very quickly 1-4.
lalaland is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2012, 02:49 PM   #1397
country flag lalaland

lalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond repute

Lost 2nd set. Didn't win a single pts off Granollers' first serve, but then, Granollers really serve big when he gets his first serve in.

Well, Granollers played better in 2nd and Gilles looks nervous in 2nd. C'mon Gilles, you can win.
Old 10-25-2012, 02:52 PM   #1398
country flag lalaland

Okay, he's about to get broken in the 3rd now. I'm not optimistic that he can win this match.
Old 10-25-2012, 02:53 PM   #1399
country flag lalaland

Broken, shitty net cord . Luck abandon him too.
Old 10-25-2012, 03:02 PM   #1400
country flag lalaland

Sad, but I don't dare to be hopeful.
Old 10-25-2012, 03:21 PM   #1401
country flag lalaland

Got broken again, that's the end then. No way he can come back from 2 breaks down.

Another miss opportunity, too bad cos Valencia's draw is starting to open up. Oh well, not that I was hoping high when the draw came out anyway.

Good luck in Bercy then, Gilles.
Old 10-25-2012, 03:27 PM   #1402
country flag Gillouthe best

Gillouthe best has a reputation beyond reputeGillouthe best has a reputation beyond reputeGillouthe best has a reputation beyond reputeGillouthe best has a reputation beyond reputeGillouthe best has a reputation beyond reputeGillouthe best has a reputation beyond reputeGillouthe best has a reputation beyond reputeGillouthe best has a reputation beyond reputeGillouthe best has a reputation beyond reputeGillouthe best has a reputation beyond reputeGillouthe best has a reputation beyond repute

I saw the end of the match really bad volleying from Gilles , he had the chances but he was making UE's.
Old 10-25-2012, 03:30 PM   #1403
country flag The Prince

The Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond repute

Granollers is just too good in Valencia it seems.

Shame for Gilles, but at least he got time on the court, ready for the last tournament of the season.
The Prince is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 03:33 PM   #1404
country flag Gilloulou

Gilloulou has a reputation beyond reputeGilloulou has a reputation beyond reputeGilloulou has a reputation beyond reputeGilloulou has a reputation beyond reputeGilloulou has a reputation beyond reputeGilloulou has a reputation beyond reputeGilloulou has a reputation beyond reputeGilloulou has a reputation beyond reputeGilloulou has a reputation beyond reputeGilloulou has a reputation beyond reputeGilloulou has a reputation beyond repute

arghhhh, terrible
Gilloulou is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 03:38 PM   #1405
country flag Gilloulou

Gilloulou has a reputation beyond reputeGilloulou has a reputation beyond reputeGilloulou has a reputation beyond reputeGilloulou has a reputation beyond reputeGilloulou has a reputation beyond reputeGilloulou has a reputation beyond reputeGilloulou has a reputation beyond reputeGilloulou has a reputation beyond reputeGilloulou has a reputation beyond reputeGilloulou has a reputation beyond reputeGilloulou has a reputation beyond repute

was he even playing the final 2 sets?
Old 10-25-2012, 03:38 PM   #1406
country flag lalaland

I don't think Granollers was playing spectacularly well (he played well enough, but nothing special), but he gets real calm after losing the first set and gets much better playing the key points. A lot of times he was down 0-30 and just kept hitting bomb serves to save the day. Gilles' the opposite, the turning pt is probably his first DF in the 2nd when he was still cruising on his own serve, and he DF 2 times and lost 4 straight pts to get broken, and from then on, his confidence seems to get shaken and he looks nervous, and the UEs starts raking up too, that gives Granollers more confidence.

But anyway, I don't see how he can't beat Granollers in terms of match up. Maybe the HtoH edge has some bearing in his mind, but he has plenty of chance to even the breaks in the 3rd. It's just another loss typical of this year's disappointing performance.

I don't expect nothing from Bercy, he never plays well there, a rather fast court, which is okay, I can't wait for the season to end so I can look forward for a new beginning next year. As far as I'm concerned, this year is very disappointment, the faster it's over the better.

Last edited by lalaland : 10-25-2012 at 03:44 PM.
Old 10-25-2012, 03:45 PM   #1407
country flag Gilloulou

agreed, can't understand why he's playing worse on probably every parameter this year and as it progressed it didn't get any better. gosh, how many times can a heart be broken
Old 10-25-2012, 03:46 PM   #1408
country flag The Prince

The Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalaland View Post
I don't think Granollers was playing spectacularly well, but he gets real calm after losing the first set and gets much better playing the key points. A lot of times he was down 0-30 and just kept hitting bomb serves to save the day. Gilles' the opposite, the turning pt is probably his first DF in the 2nd when he was still cruising on his own serve, and he DF 2 times and lost 4 straight pts to get broken, and from then on, his confidence seems to get shaken and he looks nervous, and the UEs starts raking up too, that gives Granollers more confidence.

But anyway, I don't see how he can't beat Granollers in terms of match up. Maybe the HtoH edge has some bearing in his mind, but he has plenty of chance to even the breaks in the 3rd. It's just another loss typical of this year's disappointing performance.

I don't expect nothing from Bercy, he never plays well there, a rather fast court, which is okay, I can't wait for the season to end so I can look forward for a new beginning next year. As far as I'm concerned, this year is very disappointment, the faster it's over the better.
Granollers is deceptively good. Very smart player, and mentally strong as you say.

He handles the ebbs and flows of a tennis match very calmly, and while he doesn't possess great weapons, he has enough variety and firepower to get past a lot of guys.

There's no question that Gillou would win this match-up more often if he played very focused tennis. Too much aimless hitting won't get the job done against a good tactician like Marcel.
The Prince is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 03:47 PM   #1409
country flag GilleSimonAddict

GilleSimonAddict has a reputation beyond reputeGilleSimonAddict has a reputation beyond reputeGilleSimonAddict has a reputation beyond reputeGilleSimonAddict has a reputation beyond reputeGilleSimonAddict has a reputation beyond reputeGilleSimonAddict has a reputation beyond reputeGilleSimonAddict has a reputation beyond reputeGilleSimonAddict has a reputation beyond reputeGilleSimonAddict has a reputation beyond reputeGilleSimonAddict has a reputation beyond reputeGilleSimonAddict has a reputation beyond repute

Very disappointing display from Gilles. I don't know what else to say really. I mean let's be honest here. No conviction in his shots. No confidence whatsoever. Pushing almost every shot during the rally. No gameplan or change up/adjustment to Gran's picking up of his game. He just looks lost out there. No direction at all.

At this point, I fear for Gilles Simon's future as a top 20, hell, even a top 30 player at this point if he doesn't right the ship and get his head on straight. It feels pretty hopeless right now. The list of players who we don't want Gilles to have to face keeps growing because he can't beat them anymore. He used to only struggle against the very best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalaland View Post

I agree with you, but i'm not so sure that next year will be any better unfortunately. I think his best days are behind him and he's peaked unfortunately. I kept telling myself that that wasn't the case and that he had top 10 and definitely top 15 level ability still left in him, but I think it's become pretty obvious that that isn't the case anymore. I guess I just have to come to terms with that and admit it to myself now. He just doesn't have that fire and belief and no sense of fear that he had in 2008/2009. I'll keep hoping for a turnaround, but as it stands right now, it feels pretty matter of fact.
GilleSimonAddict is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 04:03 PM   #1410
country flag lalaland

I don't doubt that Granollers is good, I don't think it's that deceptively. Being a great double player, he obviously has great hand at the net. And he's a much better single player than said Llodra, cos Llodra can't play at the baseline much, while Granollers can and give himself time to construct the point to get to the right moment to come to the net.

Marcel did a lot of aimless hitting too to wait for the right point to strike his approach shot (that's when he wasn't hitting a big first serve and come right in), his advantage is that his first serve is a lot bigger than Gilles, and he knows Gilles won't come in. It's not like Gilles can hit thru him. At the third, Gilles came into the net more, sometimes he was drawn in by Granollers, other times, he tried doing it himself. But of course he missed quite a bit at the net too. In terms of strategy, I don't think Granollers is much better, he has the advantage of being great at the net so he only needs a good chance to hit a great approach, Gilles can't come in as much, wasn't able to hit thru him, in a sense, you can say that he has not enough weapons to beat Granollers today. But in a good day, Gilles can hit thru very good players, we've seen it before, just not today.

As for being a good tactician, I don't doubt that Granollers is. But I don't think that's why he won today, his plan is plain to see, just a matter of whether Gilles' able to stop him from executing, He didn't because there's always a ball too short in a long rally to allow him to come in. I don't want to sound like I'm not giving credit to Granollers, cos he played better than Gilles that's much obvious.

Last edited by lalaland : 10-25-2012 at 05:09 PM.