2012 Hardcourt all the way! 100% going forward! Hopefully. - Page 71 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 08-28-2012, 04:33 AM   #1051
country flag GilleSimonAddict

GilleSimonAddict has a reputation beyond reputeGilleSimonAddict has a reputation beyond reputeGilleSimonAddict has a reputation beyond reputeGilleSimonAddict has a reputation beyond reputeGilleSimonAddict has a reputation beyond reputeGilleSimonAddict has a reputation beyond reputeGilleSimonAddict has a reputation beyond reputeGilleSimonAddict has a reputation beyond reputeGilleSimonAddict has a reputation beyond reputeGilleSimonAddict has a reputation beyond reputeGilleSimonAddict has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2012 Hardcourt all the way! let's roll into another up cycle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennisFan2012 View Post
Thanks, Lalaland. I had checked espn3.com but they didn't have it.
Yes they did because that's where I watched it.
GilleSimonAddict is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2012, 04:46 AM   #1052
country flag mike s.

mike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilleSimonAddict View Post
Wow. It was tough to watch Gilles in this match. He has virtually no serve and it's clear he had a look of discomfort on his face. I was surprised that he couldn't even serve big even once here and there. He literally had to roll the serve in every time. If that's the case then he really shouldn't be playing this tournament and just taken the necessary time off to let the shoulder fully recover, because realistically, he has virtually no chance of advancing any further from here on out. Michael Russell is one thing, but even Karlovic and especially Fish will eat his first and second serves at those speeds alive. He will be under pressure on virtually every point and he won't be able to get away with it like he was able to against Russell. Just barely at that even against him and that's just because he is a very small and limited ability journeyman.

It was a great effort from Gilles and shows what we as fans already know about his undying heart and will to see it through, but I have to wonder at what cost and is it really even worth it. He as no chance of making it to the 4th round again this year now having seen how he has to play so he's going to lose points no matter what so why not just pull out now and give yourself some real time to recover.

I don't know. Just my feelings on the matter. Btw, I loved the turquoise aqua-ish colored shirt.
I think he'll pull out of a match if he doesn't think he has a chance of winning. If it doesn't feel better by the Fish match I think he'll withdraw. No harm though in getting some extra points and money this week as long as the shoulder doesn't get worse. It's a major so I understand why he wants to at least give it a go.
Old 08-28-2012, 04:53 AM   #1053
country flag lalaland

lalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilleSimonAddict View Post
Wow. It was tough to watch Gilles in this match. He has virtually no serve and it's clear he had a look of discomfort on his face. I was surprised that he couldn't even serve big even once here and there. He literally had to roll the serve in every time. If that's the case then he really shouldn't be playing this tournament and just taken the necessary time off to let the shoulder fully recover, because realistically, he has virtually no chance of advancing any further from here on out. Michael Russell is one thing, but even Karlovic and especially Fish will eat his first and second serves at those speeds alive. He will be under pressure on virtually every point and he won't be able to get away with it like he was able to against Russell. Just barely at that even against him and that's just because he is a very small and limited ability journeyman.

It was a great effort from Gilles and shows what we as fans already know about his undying heart and will to see it through, but I have to wonder at what cost and is it really even worth it. He as no chance of making it to the 4th round again this year now having seen how he has to play so he's going to lose points no matter what so why not just pull out now and give yourself some real time to recover.
I agree with all you said.
I think it's the draw's fault that Gilles is even playing. If he had gotten a tough one like Nalbandian, he probably would have w/d last friday. But it's Michael Russell, he thought he can win without much, and he did. Now that he has won one, he's not going to w/d no matter. Maybe he'll get lucky next round, maybe not. I think if it's Dr. Ivo, at least it will be a fast one. And I think he's probably prepared to be blown off court playing with so little, I'm prepared to see him gotten blown off court next round. It's good that he didn't push it though, he can't serve and he didn't even try to serve hard once or twice. His first is mostly in the 80s after the first set. But it's fine, just roll it in and see what happen, that's more sensible that pushing it beyond what he should. The most sensible thing is of course to just quit now and rest that shoulder. But Gilles never does the most sensible thing, he'll just gut it out til the end of the season. I hope I'm wrong, but based on his track record, I got a feeling that I'm not wrong.
lalaland is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 05:12 AM   #1054
country flag lalaland

lalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond repute

L'Equipe:

L'épaule droite dans un état limite, Gilles Simon a quand même choisi de s'aligner à l'US Open. Lundi face à Michael Russell, il n'a jamais pu servir à 100% mais il a tout de même refusé de céder et a fini par arracher la victoire en cinq sets (7-6(4), 3-6, 5-7, 6-4, 6-1) et 4h26' de jeu.

«J'ai eu le match auquel je m'attendais : ça a été dur, ça a été affreux, glisse Simon dans un sourire. Je suis diminué donc je ne peux pas frapper comme je veux au service ou en fond de court, mais je peux contrer et je bouge bien. J'ai vite vu qu'il y allait avoir match, que je n'allais pas prendre une rouste donc j'ai tout fait pour gagner. Il n'y a pas eu de point gratuit dans ce match, c'était 4h30' de droite-gauche. Je n'ai pris aucun plaisir, ça ne rime peut-être à rien mais ça fait un mois que je suis là, c'est un Grand Chelem alors je veux essayer. En plus je ne risque pas d'aggraver cette blessure et ça va quand même bien mieux qu'il y a encore une semaine.» Il affrontera désormais Ivo Karlovic ou Jimmy Wang. Dans quel état ? C'est bien la question.
Old 08-28-2012, 12:01 PM   #1055
country flag misty1
Banned!

misty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond repute

very happy to see that he pulled this one out

i agree that if he had a tougher first round he probably would have withdrawn but russell is someone he probably knew he could get away with having a weaker serve against

hopefully he doesnt do himself to much harm by playing though
misty1 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 12:27 PM   #1056
country flag Gillouthe best

Gillouthe best has a reputation beyond reputeGillouthe best has a reputation beyond reputeGillouthe best has a reputation beyond reputeGillouthe best has a reputation beyond reputeGillouthe best has a reputation beyond reputeGillouthe best has a reputation beyond reputeGillouthe best has a reputation beyond reputeGillouthe best has a reputation beyond reputeGillouthe best has a reputation beyond reputeGillouthe best has a reputation beyond reputeGillouthe best has a reputation beyond repute

Gilles , he's a great fighter.
Old 08-28-2012, 05:04 PM   #1057
country flag lalaland

Itw from Sport24:

Épuisé à la fin de son match du premier tour de l’US Open, remporté face à l’Américain Michael Russell en cinq sets dans la nuit de lundi, Gilles Simon est diminué par une douloureuse fissure du sous-épineux à l’épaule droite, mais veut tout de même tenter le coup.

Gilles, vous étiez manifestement diminué…
Gilles Simon : Oui, mais bon je le savais avant d’y aller, donc pas de surprise pour moi. Je crois que j’ai eu le match que j’attendais en fait. Cela a été très dur, c’est certainement les 45 points (ATP) les plus mérités de l’année et je suis content d’avoir gagné ce match.

Cela valait la peine de l’avoir joué du coup ?
Je vais essayer de jouer le moins de matches possibles (Ndlr : à cause de sa blessure), mais là c’est un tournoi du Grand Chelem et cela fait un mois que je suis là, je me suis dit : «allez, je vais essayer» (il rit nerveusement). Et puis surtout, maintenant que je sais que cela ne s’aggrave pas, j’y vais et j’attends que ça passe. Je le prends juste comme du bonus, j’essaie de faire ce que je peux. C’est quand même mieux pour moi de jouer un mec comme Russell, qui ne sert pas non plus que des obus, sinon c’est très déséquilibré. Maintenant, au deuxième tour, on verra ! Je savais que j’avais une petite chance de gagner ce match, que ça allait être très compliqué et cela l’a été. Je n’ai fait que du physique pendant dix jours, puisque je n’avais que cela à faire, donc du coup d’avoir gagné en 4h30 ça fait plaisir.

Est-ce que ce fut l’un des matchs les plus durs de votre carrière ?
Oui, car normalement dans un match, d’un côté comme de l’autre, il y a des points gratuits. Or là avec mon service… Moi c’est zéro et lui, bon, pas des masses non plus, donc du coup c’est 4 heures et demi de droite-gauche, et tu les sens passer.

Expliquez-nous justement, comment se ressent votre blessure sur votre service ?
J’ai mal ! J’ai mal, c’est tout. Si je sers, j’ai mal, donc j’essaie de servir sans avoir mal, donc je ne force pas, je n’ai pas envie de tout casser du coup. Je ressens aussi la douleur quand je joue du fond du court, même si je ne frappe pas très fort, mais je bouge bien, je sens que je peux jouer du fond, contrer, je suis dur à déborder… Donc voilà je suis là, cela fait un mois que je me bats avec cela, et là je suis arrivé sur le match en pensant pouvoir gagner et la preuve, c’est que je l’ai fait.

Vous êtes-vous fait peur quand même, en pensant ne pas pouvoir remonter, une fois mené deux sets à un par exemple ?
Au fond, je m’en foutais un peu, j’étais très détendu en rentrant sur le terrain, après j’avais juste peur de prendre une grosse rouste et d’être ridicule. Mais quand j’ai vu qu’il y avait match, je me sentais mieux, je me suis bien énervé à la fin du troisième quand même ! Mais bon j’avais un adversaire où c’était du 50-50, c’est difficile, c’est dur de chaque côté et je vois qu’à la fin du troisième il n’était pas très beau non plus. Je me suis accroché et puis j’ai pu passer devant et rester devant même si cela a été dur.

Avez-vous pris du plaisir quand même durant cette rencontre ?
Non, là aucun. Aucun. J’avais juste envie d’essayer de gagner. Voilà, je m’étais mis ça en tête : «je vais essayer de gagner», en sachant que cela allait être dur et affreux. J’aurais pu perdre, cela ne se joue à rien. Et je suis content d’avoir gagné, j’espère qu’au prochain tour je ne serai pas ridicule !

Dans ces conditions, à quoi cela rime-t-il de jouer alors ?
À rien ! Encore une fois, je sais que je n’ai aucune chance de me faire plus mal que cela, donc voilà j’y vais, cela va mettre du temps à passer. Je continue de travailler, ce dont on ne se rend pas compte c’est que là c’est beaucoup (il insiste fortement et longuement sur ce mot) mieux qu’il y a une semaine, donc c’est ça qui est drôle (il rit) ! Si cela sourit un peu, si j’arrive à avancer dans la semaine, on ne sait jamais… Il ne vaudrait mieux pas que ce soit un gros serveur en face quand même.

The most deserved 45 points he earned for the year, indeed .
He's hoping that he doesn't look ridiculous the next round...me hoping that for you too, Gilles.
He answered the burning question that we're all asking: what's the point of he playing here..."For Nothing". you just have to love him for that.
Old 08-28-2012, 05:32 PM   #1058
country flag lalaland

Btw, elsewhere, he also said:

ce dont on ne se rend pas compte c’est que là c’est beaucoup mieux qu’il y a une semaine, donc c’est ça qui est drôle (rires) ! Si ça sourit un peu, si j’arrive à avancer dans la semaine, on ne sait jamais… Il ne vaudrait mieux pas que ce soit un gros serveur en face quand même.

It is much better now than a week ago, so he's hoping that the sun will shine upon him....another week, you never know. Okay, I guess I understand the logic, although it's still sounded a bit idiotic.
Old 08-28-2012, 05:39 PM   #1059
country flag mike s.

mike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond repute

Wang-Karlovic is 1 set all, I'm really rooting for Wang here because I think Gilles would have a chance against him.
Old 08-28-2012, 06:22 PM   #1060
country flag lalaland

Jimmy Wang it is. Maybe there really is a point of hanging around for Gilles, maybe the pain will go away, maybe the draw will open up for him...

Ok, let's not take Jimmy for granted. I've never heard of him, but he won 3 Qualies and a MD to get here, so you never know.

Allez Gilles. Do the best you can.
Old 08-28-2012, 07:18 PM   #1061
country flag mike s.

Based on Wang's serve stats on the ATP website he doesn't have a particularly big serve so that's good news for Gilles. I agree though, he can't underestimate him at all.
Old 08-28-2012, 07:37 PM   #1062
country flag lalaland

Wang broke Dr. Ivo quite a few times (6-1 and 6-4 the last 2 sets), so he can break, I suppose. Gilles' obviously very vulnerable now on his own serves since he doesn't really have one now. But at least Gilles should be able to handle Wang's serve, giving that Wang has the same build as Iron Mike (probably not that muscular though). Facing a big server you have the added pressure of feeling that you can't lose your own serve, so at least he doesn't need to worry about that, I guess.
Old 08-28-2012, 09:22 PM   #1063
country flag mike s.

I was looking at the draw and I'm a little concerned Gilles won't be on a tv court next round. All of the other matches in his half either have an American or are more interesting match-ups besides maybe Chardy-Ebden. Oh well, hopefully I'm wrong.
Old 08-29-2012, 08:07 PM   #1064
country flag mike s.

I was wrong, Gilles is third up on Court 13 so we get to see the likely horror show

Allez Gilles, try your best!
Old 08-29-2012, 08:14 PM   #1065
country flag lalaland

Tomorrow OOP:
3rd match on Court 13. It's a TV court.

I've been watching non-stop the past 2 days, the more I watched, the more I think he's lucky. No way his soft balls not get killed by anyone else. I'm even beginning to get very worry about Jimmy Wang . He can get killed by anyone who can go after a soft serve.

--------------------------

From L'Equipe the paper. It's more the same info but just a little bit extra. Tutu said he's happy to see Gilles' mental strength, which he thinks hasn't been showing up lately. I kinda disagree, I mean, Gilles has always has the fight no matter, he fought well the last match. But his mental issue has been the choking, I don't see that getting better. If the scores were tighter in the 5th set, who knows if he could have pulled that off. Thankfully, it wasn't tight. Anyways, I'll be able to see what happen tomorrow. He also said Gilles will get an infiltration after, I guess he means after the Open.

Simon : Aucun plaisir

«FALLAIT Y ALLER OU PAS?» That was the question avant-hier, face à l’Américain Russell, pour un Gilles Simon affligé au service d’un petit bras de quatrième série. Ça fait un mois que ça dure avec cette fissure d’un tendon de l’épaule qui l’empêche de terminer son mouvement sur son engagement. Après s’être fait botter les fesses à Toronto par le vétéran Tommy Haas, Simon avait prévenu qu’il ne rentrerait plus sur un terrain sans être certain d’être compétitif. Donc forfait à Cincinnati. Et puis arrive un Grand Chelem. Le compétiteur se réveille et oublie ses bonnes résolutions. On va y aller même avec l’épaule en compote. Et on paie le prix, pendant 4 h 26’, à ramer contre un joueur de trente-quatre ans qui n’a jamais gagné un match à l’US Open. Alors, ça vaut le coup ? « Oui, puisque j’ai gagné », répondait Gilles Simon, lundi soir à minuit. J’y suis allé parce que je savais que Russell n’est pas un aigle au service, que je pourrais lâcher mon service plusieurs fois avec des chances de débreaker. » Il avait bien anticipé, mais ce ne fut pas beau à voir. Avec une première balle en moyenne à 147 km/h et une seconde à 128, il perdit huit fois son service. Comme prévu, Russell lui rendit la politesse, le même nombre de fois et nous voilà partis pour une longue soirée. Simon compensa son manque de bras par un surplus de jambes. Russell en sait quelque chose. Exténué, il fit venir le médecin à 5-4 dans le troisième set. On lui prit la tension, il avala une pilule et fut jugé bon pour le service. Mais comme cet arrêt avait été bien long, l’épaule de Simon s’était refroidie. Le Français perdit son break d’avance, et trois jeux d’affilée pour voir Russell, ressuscité, mener deux sets à un.

Mais le film était loin d’être fini. Arnaud Di Pasquale, responsable du haut niveau masculin français, Arnaud Clément, nouveau capitaine de Coupe Davis, Lionel Roux, entraîneur de Coupe Davis, n’avaient pas perdu une miette de ce film à rallonge. Mais il fallut se ravitailler et Roux fut envoyé chercher quelques victuailles. Thierry Tulasne était dans le secteur. L’entraîneur surveillait avec intérêt la lutte de son protégé contre cette épaule récalcitrante. « Ça faisait un bout de temps que je n’avais pas vu Gilles aussi fort mentalement, expliquait-il. C’est important, car la bagarre, c’est son fonds de commerce. » Il finit par cuire Russell à l’étouffée, remportant les deux dernières manches en faisant toute la fin de course en tête. Vaillant, il le fut. Content ? Oui et non. « En rentrant sur le court, j’avais peur d’être ridicule et de m’en prendre une bonne. Mais dès que j’ai vu qu’il y avait match, je me suis accroché. Ce sont les 45 points (attribués aux vainqueurs du premier tour) les plus mérités de l’année. Je savais que ça serait affreux. Je n’ai pris aucun plaisir. Mais ça fait un mois que je suis dans ce pays et je me disais que je ne voulais pas être venu pour rien. » Et où va-t-on, comme ça, sans lumière ? « Il n’y a pas de risque d’aggravation, rassure Tulasne. Mais Gilles devra s’occuper de ce problème après. Il devra subir une infiltration. » Pour le prochain tour, il faudra faire avec les moyens du bord. Et ce sera cette fois face à un joueur qui aura au moins gagné un match à Flushing Meadows. Il faudra bien lever le coude…