2012 Hardcourt all the way! 100% going forward! Hopefully. - Page 35 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 05-18-2012, 09:05 PM   #511
country flag lalaland

lalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Clay season 2012, "Take Two" most definitely

Ya, I was a little skeptical about the report since they sited the same injury for Gilles and Richard. So he's still in? Argh, why can't he just rest, damnit.

-------

Now, the link I posted led to an error page. I guess they figure out the report is wrong and pulled it. I guess that confirms it.

Last edited by lalaland : 05-18-2012 at 11:59 PM.
lalaland is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2012, 08:29 AM   #512
country flag soulage

soulage has a reputation beyond reputesoulage has a reputation beyond reputesoulage has a reputation beyond reputesoulage has a reputation beyond reputesoulage has a reputation beyond reputesoulage has a reputation beyond reputesoulage has a reputation beyond reputesoulage has a reputation beyond reputesoulage has a reputation beyond reputesoulage has a reputation beyond reputesoulage has a reputation beyond repute

Yes all this was about Richard but maybe Gilles will skip it's written in l'equipe for exemple. Wait the draw at noon to see.
soulage is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 06:15 PM   #513
country flag lalaland

lalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond repute

He didn't skip . Oh well.

John Isner USA [1] has a Bye
Xavier Malisse BEL vs. Yen-Hsun Lu TPE
Nikolay Davydenko RUS vs. Matthew Ebden AUS
Alejandro Falla COL vs. Denis Istomin UZB [7]

Gaël Monfils FRA [4/WC] has a Bye
Q vs. Sergiy Stakhovsky UKR
Mikhail Kukushkin KAZ vs. Q
Lukas Lacko SVK vs. Bernard Tomic AUS [5]

Fabio Fognini ITA [8] vs. Steve Darcis BEL
Filippo Volandri ITA vs. Olivier Rochus BEL
Edouard Roger-Vasselin FRA vs. Benoit Paire FRA [WC]
Nicolas Almagro ESP [3] has a Bye

Robin Haase NED [6] vs. Juan Carlos Ferrero ESP [WC]
Q vs. Donald Young USA
Dudi Sela ISR vs. Q
Gilles Simon FRA [2] has a Bye

The draw is not bad, in the sense that there's worthy player to lose to, maybe he'll go out to JCF? hope so. Sorry Gilles, can't cheer for you for your own good, you don't need to play til the weekend.
Old 05-19-2012, 08:25 PM   #514
country flag soulage

soulage has a reputation beyond reputesoulage has a reputation beyond reputesoulage has a reputation beyond reputesoulage has a reputation beyond reputesoulage has a reputation beyond reputesoulage has a reputation beyond reputesoulage has a reputation beyond reputesoulage has a reputation beyond reputesoulage has a reputation beyond reputesoulage has a reputation beyond reputesoulage has a reputation beyond repute

Still think it's quite stupid to play here while he was tired in Rome I hope no regrets in RG for him
soulage is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 01:04 AM   #515
country flag Stronga23

Stronga23 has a reputation beyond reputeStronga23 has a reputation beyond reputeStronga23 has a reputation beyond reputeStronga23 has a reputation beyond reputeStronga23 has a reputation beyond reputeStronga23 has a reputation beyond reputeStronga23 has a reputation beyond reputeStronga23 has a reputation beyond reputeStronga23 has a reputation beyond reputeStronga23 has a reputation beyond reputeStronga23 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalaland View Post
He didn't skip . Oh well.

John Isner USA [1] has a Bye
Xavier Malisse BEL vs. Yen-Hsun Lu TPE
Nikolay Davydenko RUS vs. Matthew Ebden AUS
Alejandro Falla COL vs. Denis Istomin UZB [7]

Gaël Monfils FRA [4/WC] has a Bye
Q vs. Sergiy Stakhovsky UKR
Mikhail Kukushkin KAZ vs. Q
Lukas Lacko SVK vs. Bernard Tomic AUS [5]

Fabio Fognini ITA [8] vs. Steve Darcis BEL
Filippo Volandri ITA vs. Olivier Rochus BEL
Edouard Roger-Vasselin FRA vs. Benoit Paire FRA [WC]
Nicolas Almagro ESP [3] has a Bye

Robin Haase NED [6] vs. Juan Carlos Ferrero ESP [WC]
Q vs. Donald Young USA
Dudi Sela ISR vs. Q
Gilles Simon FRA [2] has a Bye

The draw is not bad, in the sense that there's worthy player to lose to, maybe he'll go out to JCF? hope so. Sorry Gilles, can't cheer for you for your own good, you don't need to play til the weekend.
Gilles and Gael ruining their RG chances

Stronga,Monfils,DelPo,Nalbandian,Berdych,Gulbis,Ha as and Djokovic are the players I support the most.
Stronga23 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 04:24 AM   #516
country flag GilleSimonAddict

GilleSimonAddict has a reputation beyond reputeGilleSimonAddict has a reputation beyond reputeGilleSimonAddict has a reputation beyond reputeGilleSimonAddict has a reputation beyond reputeGilleSimonAddict has a reputation beyond reputeGilleSimonAddict has a reputation beyond reputeGilleSimonAddict has a reputation beyond reputeGilleSimonAddict has a reputation beyond reputeGilleSimonAddict has a reputation beyond reputeGilleSimonAddict has a reputation beyond reputeGilleSimonAddict has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know. I guess I have a different take on it. I'm more of a realist about it all and I think the best chance (depending on the draw of course) that Gilles will ever really have at RG is a quarterfinal appearance. There's just too many great players to have to try and beat best 3 out of 5 like Murray, Djokovic, Nadal and Federer that Gilles' chances of ever winning a major aren't likely, however the Nice draw is another example of a winnable tournament for him which would also catapult him back into the top 10 if he were to win it and Isner didn't go beyond the quarterfinals, which I believe is a real possibility because he hasn't been playing very well as of late.

I don't believe Isner will even make it to the finals. Gael seems like the most likely finalist in that section of the draw. I trust Gilles to know what's best for him. Also, the selfish tennis fan (Gilles fan more in particular) in me won't pass up any opportunity to see him play.

Last edited by GilleSimonAddict : 05-20-2012 at 06:11 AM.
GilleSimonAddict is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 06:17 AM   #517
country flag lalaland

He needs to get to the Final to gain pts, which means he will have to play 4 matches next week to gain any pts. And if Isner also gets into the final, then Gilles needs to beat him to past him in the ranking, a tall task. And even if he wins it, it will only secure a Top 10 rank for 2 weeks bcos he has a lot of pts to defend in RG. And so if it comes to that, I still don't think the energy to be spent will be worth it if it jeopardize his performance in RG. I think at this pt, as he said it, he doesn't care so much the Top 10 ranking, his goal is to win big matches in big tournaments. Bcos the one thing that's lacking in his resume is a memorable performance in slams. I found it very disheartening that his winning Bucharest seems to get him more criticism than praise (from the French anyway). So if he doesn't at least get to the 2nd week of RG, I think his good showings in the past month and a half would mean nothing. So anyway, that's my reasoning for against his participation in Nice, bcos I think it will gain him nothing and he runs a risk of tiring himself too much to run deep in RG. I hope I'm just too pessimistic and he indeed knows what he's doing and that Nice will turn out to be a good preparation for his quest in RG. I mean, at this pt, I can only hope that will be the case for him.
Old 05-20-2012, 08:57 AM   #518
country flag GilleSimonAddict

GilleSimonAddict has a reputation beyond reputeGilleSimonAddict has a reputation beyond reputeGilleSimonAddict has a reputation beyond reputeGilleSimonAddict has a reputation beyond reputeGilleSimonAddict has a reputation beyond reputeGilleSimonAddict has a reputation beyond reputeGilleSimonAddict has a reputation beyond reputeGilleSimonAddict has a reputation beyond reputeGilleSimonAddict has a reputation beyond reputeGilleSimonAddict has a reputation beyond reputeGilleSimonAddict has a reputation beyond repute

You make some good points to be sure, but for me, i'm not like the French press who always seems to be looking down on him for whatever reason it is this time. I'm happy when he can win a title. Any title. So I get excited about smaller tournaments because I know those are his best chances. But I totally understand the need for him to do well in majors. I just don't see it happening. I mean even when he was at his most confident back in 2008-2009 the best he did was a quarterfinal at the AO. I believe he can do better, I just know it's really not just entirely up to him. The right guys who give him trouble would have to get taken out before they would meet and he would have to be playing at his best etc. etc. Too many variables.

That's a shame to hear about the dissmissiveness of his Bucharest title win though. Very disrespectful too. Now if Tsonga had won it, strike up the band i'm sure right?

Anyway, I just hope he can do well period the whole rest of the season. If he can win Nice, maybe that will actually help him going into RG because it will give him more belief and confidence in his game. I don't know. Either way, I support him 100% in life and in whatever decisions he makes, so Go Gilles Go!
GilleSimonAddict is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 10:41 PM   #519
country flag lalaland

If I’m not supporting him in Nice, that’s only because I believe there’s a silver lining behind it. I think he’s in Nice not for the pts, but just to honor his commitment to his hometown tournament. I don’t think it’s a stupid move, it’s just not a very rational one. My dilemma is, on the one hand, I worry he spends too much energy, on the other hand, I don't really want him to lose to some random player, or that he'll tank a match (cos that's unprofessional). That's why I'm so bothered by him playing there because I don't really know if I should want him to last or lose soon. Thing is, I think it’s a mistake of his calculation that he signed up for Nice 6 weeks ago. I mean, it's a sign of him not feeling confident about his clay season and thinking that he'll need a back-up the week before RG to fine tune his game. Perhaps it was reasonable then, his record on clay was 2-4 at that time 6 weeks ago. But now that he’s exhausted himself a lot in the past few weeks, if this is any other tournament, I think he would have w/d in a heartbeat. But this being Nice, he couldn’t. I just feel that he’s paying for his mistake, and because of this, he creates himself a dilemma, should he reserves his energy or should he be professional and just play as best as he can but potentially hurting himself in RG? What he should have done, is to not sign up at the beginning, and should he felt the need to get more play before RG, like the situation of Gael, he asks for a WC. That’s why I think it was a mistake to sign up and even a bigger mistake that he didn’t or couldn’t back out. And I want to believe that’s the exact scenario of what’s happening. Otherwise, if he thinks he needs Nice’s pts, then he has his priority all wrong IMO.
Old 05-21-2012, 01:01 AM   #520
country flag misty1
Banned!

misty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond repute

well there are some players who feel a certian loyalty to home town tournaments and even if it makes no sense at all they are going to play it whenever they can. Really oinly injury would probably ever keep him out. Its that same loyalty to the hometown tournament that will see him give his best even if tanking would be a better idea at some stage.
misty1 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 07:06 PM   #521
country flag lalaland

Monday got washed out, the place looks like a swimming pool Well, too wet to even practice, at least he got to rest then .

Can only hope that this tournament will finish on time. All R1 is scheduled to play tomorrow.

Meanwhile, Gilles had a presser. You can read it here:
http://sports.nice.fr/open-nice-cote...imon,3595.html
Old 05-22-2012, 03:35 PM   #522
country flag Gillouthe best

Gillouthe best has a reputation beyond reputeGillouthe best has a reputation beyond reputeGillouthe best has a reputation beyond reputeGillouthe best has a reputation beyond reputeGillouthe best has a reputation beyond reputeGillouthe best has a reputation beyond reputeGillouthe best has a reputation beyond reputeGillouthe best has a reputation beyond reputeGillouthe best has a reputation beyond reputeGillouthe best has a reputation beyond reputeGillouthe best has a reputation beyond repute

He will face Dimitrov on R2, H2H is 2-0 for Gilles in 2009, Allez Gilles
Old 05-23-2012, 03:14 PM   #523
country flag mike s.

mike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond repute

He won the first set 6-3. Looks good so far and it's great to see the crowd behind him so much.
Old 05-23-2012, 04:06 PM   #524
country flag mike s.

mike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond repute

Comfortable win for Gilles 6-3, 6-3. At least he will not be worn out after that match, not many grueling rallies.
Old 05-23-2012, 04:47 PM   #525
country flag Gilloulou

Gilloulou has a reputation beyond reputeGilloulou has a reputation beyond reputeGilloulou has a reputation beyond reputeGilloulou has a reputation beyond reputeGilloulou has a reputation beyond reputeGilloulou has a reputation beyond reputeGilloulou has a reputation beyond reputeGilloulou has a reputation beyond reputeGilloulou has a reputation beyond reputeGilloulou has a reputation beyond reputeGilloulou has a reputation beyond repute

Nice win :]

I actually think it's not a bad idea he plays this tournament, he has to practice anyway for RG and he's not the type of player that can rest for a couple of weeks and then blast the court. i think he even said that in the past, he needs to play more tournaments than others to stay sharp. and besides, it's maximum 4 matches, he will hardky play in the first few days of RG, so he should have plenty of time to rest. and who knows how he will perform there anyway, last year he went in well only to play one of his worse matches ever against Soderling. so, expect nothing at the moment and who knows, maybe we'll have a nice surprise in 2 weeks time :]
Gilloulou is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote