2012 Hardcourt all the way! 100% going forward! Hopefully. - Page 14 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 04-09-2012, 03:41 PM   #196
country flag mike s.

mike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Clay season 2012, "Take Two" most definitely

It seems like so many in the French tennis establishment value style over substance. My concern is it isn't just Guy that always talks poorly about Gilles' game, it's so many of the former and current players, so it could be the same old stuff with the new captain. It seems it's in the French tennis culture that it's better to lose playing a "beautiful" way than it is to win playing your own style. Gilles will never be respected which is a shame because I think many other country's federations would respect how much he's gotten out of his career so far. I'm so glad Gilles didn't try to cry fake tears, good riddance.
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2012, 05:29 PM   #197
country flag lalaland

lalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilleSimonAddict View Post
The picture of Gilles consoling Tsonga with a hug after the loss just really made me angry because I know that if it were the other way around and it had been Gilles who lost, there would be no consoling him but rather anger and disgust. He's a better person than all of them.
I felt the same way now about that pic, Gilles consoling his friend only to find out later that his "friend" just stabbed him at his back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike s. View Post
It seems like so many in the French tennis establishment value style over substance. My concern is it isn't just Guy that always talks poorly about Gilles' game, it's so many of the former and current players, so it could be the same old stuff with the new captain. It seems it's in the French tennis culture that it's better to lose playing a "beautiful" way than it is to win playing your own style. Gilles will never be respected which is a shame because I think many other country's federations would respect how much he's gotten out of his career so far. I'm so glad Gilles didn't try to cry fake tears, good riddance.
Let's face it, French tennis is more style over substance. Don't get me wrong, I love French tennis and their flair, but how many of them get much results? most of them are life time underachiever. I said that because I have a lot of favorite Frenchies over the years and they gave me a lot of agonies cheering for them.

Even when Gilles broke out in 2008 and beat the big 3, a lot of Frenchies came out and had not much good to say about his success, mainly because of Gilles' playing style. I can remember a few names that were on the papers saying not so friendly words about his game. So tbh, I don't really think a new captain for DC will be much different for Gilles, cos for 1 thing, the damage is already done by Forget and that's not reversible. If I were Gilles, I'll forget about DC altogether. I'm mad at him for being such a sucker for DC, like the last weekend. He has all the reasons in the world to say no, like the sore back that he's resting for. And the fact that he hasn't been home since going on SA trip in Feb, and could have spent some quality time home with wife and kid. Plus, it is always the thankless job of being #2, going against the big gun first, in this case, Isner who he has never beaten before, and on clay that he always said it took more time for him to adjust to the surface. And his play in DC got extra scrutinized due to his poor record, nevermind that he always had to play the top guy first. Anyway, enough of me whining about his poor decision. At the end of the day, it's his choice, all of these cons and he still can't say no to DC, then he is a bigger person than I am (which already proved that he is ).
lalaland is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 08:41 PM   #198
country flag Kezzi

Kezzi has a reputation beyond reputeKezzi has a reputation beyond reputeKezzi has a reputation beyond reputeKezzi has a reputation beyond reputeKezzi has a reputation beyond reputeKezzi has a reputation beyond reputeKezzi has a reputation beyond reputeKezzi has a reputation beyond reputeKezzi has a reputation beyond reputeKezzi has a reputation beyond reputeKezzi has a reputation beyond repute

*speculation alert* I've read all these articles saying Arnaud is the favorite for the job so what would it be like if Arnaud really gets the job? I have absolutely no idea how his relation with Gilles is. I only saw them train together at Rotterdam in 2007 before I became a fan of Gilles later that year and really started paying attention to him. Does anyone have an idea? I'm just wondering now, because of all this captain talk.
Old 04-09-2012, 09:02 PM   #199
country flag lalaland

lalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond repute

I can't quite remember what Arno and Gilles' relationship. Back then in end of 2008, several players had nothing good to say about Gilles, including Seb (which is sad for me cos I love Seb). And Seb is great friend with Arno...doesn't mean that Arno has Seb's idea, but like I said, I can't remember. I do vaguely remember they were in an itw together in the French master thingy tournament at end of 2008 and has some conversation on, I'll see if I can find anything in the older thread.

PS. I found that conversation I mentioned. It's really nothing. But if you are interested, checked page 21 on The Video Thread. It's dated 12/19/08, around post 308.

Last edited by lalaland : 04-09-2012 at 10:05 PM.
Old 04-09-2012, 10:32 PM   #200
country flag Kezzi

Kezzi has a reputation beyond reputeKezzi has a reputation beyond reputeKezzi has a reputation beyond reputeKezzi has a reputation beyond reputeKezzi has a reputation beyond reputeKezzi has a reputation beyond reputeKezzi has a reputation beyond reputeKezzi has a reputation beyond reputeKezzi has a reputation beyond reputeKezzi has a reputation beyond reputeKezzi has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks. So it's not just me who doesn't really know how they feel about each other. It never came to mind before, but it was just strange to realize that I don't know since I'm a big fan of both. I do remember now that Gilles couldn't wait to hug Arnaud after the match in the DC semi final I believe. Though that means nothing, cause at these moments everyone has a happy smiling face.
I know what you mean with Seb, I really like him too. I hate it when my faves say nothing good about another player I love
Old 04-10-2012, 07:25 AM   #201
country flag BlueLighthouse

BlueLighthouse has a reputation beyond reputeBlueLighthouse has a reputation beyond reputeBlueLighthouse has a reputation beyond reputeBlueLighthouse has a reputation beyond reputeBlueLighthouse has a reputation beyond reputeBlueLighthouse has a reputation beyond reputeBlueLighthouse has a reputation beyond reputeBlueLighthouse has a reputation beyond reputeBlueLighthouse has a reputation beyond reputeBlueLighthouse has a reputation beyond reputeBlueLighthouse has a reputation beyond repute

Arrrgggg Jo. I'm so disgusted with him saying that. Jo and his ugly faux-hawk are forever on my shitlist now.

Gulbis . Tursunov . Simon . Paire . Dimitrov . Thiem
BlueLighthouse is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 05:25 PM   #202
country flag lalaland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kezzi View Post
I do remember now that Gilles couldn't wait to hug Arnaud after the match in the DC semi final I believe. Though that means nothing, cause at these moments everyone has a happy smiling face. (
Kezzi, can u tell me who are the candidates just top of your head? I'm too lazy to research to find out, but you follow this DC captain thing closely, maybe you can tell me. Thanks.

P.S.
Oh, nevermind what I asked. I just found out, from that article in the Frenchie news thread.

Clement, Pioline, Grosjean, Escude, Tulasne, Leconte.

Personally, I must say I'm not sure about Clement and Grosjean, I somehow think a different generation would be better. I hope it's not Tulasne either, I mean, it'll be awkward for him, if he chooses Gilles he'll be criticized as playing favor, or he may have to avoid choosing Gilles to distance himself, either way, not good. Leconte would be a fun choice, not sure if he's a captain material though. Escude and Pioline, I like both. I don't follow Fed Cup but it seems the Frenchie Fed Cup team has as much controversies as the DC team , I don't know if Escude has anything to do with that though. And he's only 36 , he retired so long ago I thought he's older. Know nothing about Pioline except I like him as a player.

Oh well, we'll see then.

Last edited by lalaland : 04-11-2012 at 07:02 PM.
Old 04-11-2012, 09:06 PM   #203
country flag Kezzi

I only follow it closely, cause they mention Arnaud & Seb a lot.
For me Arnaud is the favorite. I'm a little bit biased, but I think he will be great as a captain. Because he knows everyone in the team and because of his amazing Davis Cup spirit. And for me he showed he can be a leader too, just by how he behaves in doubles and in the final where he took the lead from Mika.
I don't think it will be Tulasne, as you said he's with Gilles, so I consider him unavailable. He can't be both for the reason you mentioned and I think he prefers Gilles over DC. I don't really know the others, so can't say much about them. I did read the article with the positives & negatives for all, is that the one you found too? I believe they mentioned Boetsch & Roux as well.
I'm very curious to find out who it will be in the end, there's so much speculation. And if I understood it correctly, the FFT also changed the election procedure. It's not just the players who decide, some people at the FFT will discuss who they want as well. Though I couldn't tell whose opinion comes first.
Old 04-11-2012, 09:33 PM   #204
country flag lalaland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kezzi View Post
I did read the article with the positives & negatives for all, is that the one you found too? I believe they mentioned Boetsch & Roux as well.
I'm very curious to find out who it will be in the end, there's so much speculation. And if I understood it correctly, the FFT also changed the election procedure. It's not just the players who decide, some people at the FFT will discuss who they want as well. Though I couldn't tell whose opinion comes first.
I was referring to this article:
http://www.menstennisforums.com/show...&postcount=498

Didn't know about the last 2 since the article didn't mention them. Tutu has said before his priority is Gilles, I'm actually quite surprised his name is still in the discussion. And I think it's a good idea to not just choose a captain based on what the players' choices. I'm sure they won't admit but certain players have more say than others, might as well just ask the 3 who they want if you know what I mean . Personally, I want Leconte, cos he's crazy so he'll turn the team upside down and it'll be really fun to see .
Old 04-12-2012, 03:06 PM   #205
country flag Kezzi

I was referring to this: http://www.paris-normandie.fr/articl...ceder-a-forget
Yeah I know what you mean, though I hope they won't exclude anyone just because it's not what the FFT wants.
Old 04-14-2012, 03:58 PM   #206
country flag mike s.

mike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond repute

His draw in Monte Carlo isn't bad. Balleret, then Youzhny, Tipsarevic, and Tsonga. It will be tough but it's manageable if he's playing well.
Old 04-14-2012, 08:41 PM   #207
country flag Gillouthe best

Gillouthe best has a reputation beyond reputeGillouthe best has a reputation beyond reputeGillouthe best has a reputation beyond reputeGillouthe best has a reputation beyond reputeGillouthe best has a reputation beyond reputeGillouthe best has a reputation beyond reputeGillouthe best has a reputation beyond reputeGillouthe best has a reputation beyond reputeGillouthe best has a reputation beyond reputeGillouthe best has a reputation beyond reputeGillouthe best has a reputation beyond repute

Draw:
(7) Tipsarevic vs Bye
Raonic vs Montańes
Youzhny vs Qualifier
(9) Simon vs (WC) Balleret

(13) Verdasco vs O.Rochus
Ljubicic vs Dodig
Kohlschreiber vs Qualifier
(4) Tsonga vs Bye

Good draw, he should for sure win R1, then a tough match vs Youzhny on R2, with the 2-7 H2H, but Misha hasn't played since Dubai and he won last two meetings. Then Tipsa or Raonic are doable, as well as Tsonga or Verdasco. But he will need to play his best, and one match at a time
Old 04-15-2012, 01:07 AM   #208
country flag FlameOn

FlameOn has a reputation beyond reputeFlameOn has a reputation beyond reputeFlameOn has a reputation beyond reputeFlameOn has a reputation beyond reputeFlameOn has a reputation beyond reputeFlameOn has a reputation beyond reputeFlameOn has a reputation beyond reputeFlameOn has a reputation beyond reputeFlameOn has a reputation beyond reputeFlameOn has a reputation beyond reputeFlameOn has a reputation beyond repute

Gilles . I only just read all that DC rubbish. Gilles has a loyal fanbase and a beautiful family, honestly approval from his peers would be good but he doesn't need it so badly.

That said it's unlikely he'll have an amazing clay season sadly. I wouldn't mind being proven wrong though.

First up is local wildcard Benjamin Balleret in Monte Carlo. Then Youzhny or Qualifier.
Old 04-15-2012, 03:04 PM   #209
country flag Gillouthe best

Gillouthe best has a reputation beyond reputeGillouthe best has a reputation beyond reputeGillouthe best has a reputation beyond reputeGillouthe best has a reputation beyond reputeGillouthe best has a reputation beyond reputeGillouthe best has a reputation beyond reputeGillouthe best has a reputation beyond reputeGillouthe best has a reputation beyond reputeGillouthe best has a reputation beyond reputeGillouthe best has a reputation beyond reputeGillouthe best has a reputation beyond repute

Comfortable win for Gilles vs Balleret, 6-3 6-2. Still, will need to improve his service numbers, today he served at 42%, tough he won 77% points with the second serve. Converted 4/10 BP, and saved 1/2. Next up Youzhny or Qualifier, Allez Gilles
Old 04-15-2012, 03:27 PM   #210
country flag misty1
Banned!

misty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond repute

will definatey need to serve better but an easy win so im happy
misty1 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote