2012 Hardcourt all the way! 100% going forward! Hopefully. - Page 12 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 03-27-2012, 09:43 PM   #166
country flag mike s.

mike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: On to Miami, "Take Two" continues...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalaland View Post
Well, lost 3-6, 4-6. He tried, but not good enough.

He doesn't need to attend for DC, so next tournament for him is Monte Carlo, starts in 4/16.

Now go get rest and get your back fixed, Gilles.
I'm so glad that the Olympics are decided by ranking and not what Forget wants because I'd be worried if Forget got to decide the Olympics spots.
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2012, 09:49 PM   #167
country flag lalaland

lalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike s. View Post
I'm so glad that the Olympics are decided by ranking and not what Forget wants because I'd be worried if Forget got to decide the Olympics spots.
Yes, indeed. But then, I still worry. Who knows what kind of pull Guy has, he can't change the Olympics rule, but he can certainly change the French Federation's eligibility rule. Eventhough I don't think that's possible, but I still can't be sure if Gilles is safe. The only way is that Gilles does his job well during the clay season so that they can't find a way to exclude him.

Then again, I was kinda glad that he doesn't need to play DC, I want him to take some rest for his back, and he still sucks on clay in my eyes.
lalaland is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 11:17 PM   #168
country flag FlameOn

FlameOn has a reputation beyond reputeFlameOn has a reputation beyond reputeFlameOn has a reputation beyond reputeFlameOn has a reputation beyond reputeFlameOn has a reputation beyond reputeFlameOn has a reputation beyond reputeFlameOn has a reputation beyond reputeFlameOn has a reputation beyond reputeFlameOn has a reputation beyond reputeFlameOn has a reputation beyond reputeFlameOn has a reputation beyond repute

Gilles .
Old 03-28-2012, 06:03 AM   #169
country flag MsTree

MsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond repute

For the Olympics if there are more players eligible for a country than places available then the country's olympic committee decides I think! It doesn't necessarily go on ranking

Gillou ~~~~~ & ~~~~~ Andy
MsTree is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 02:56 PM   #170
country flag misty1
Banned!

misty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond repute

gilles better get to play if he's eligable. I'm already pissed off enough about marion's situation
misty1 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 04:07 PM   #171
country flag mike s.

mike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond repute

I brought this up but I'm not too worried. The Olympics qualifications say: "An NOC/National Association which has more than 4 players eligible for direct acceptance into a singles event should select its 4 highest ranked eligible players based on the computer rankings."

It doesn't say "must" so I guess they could get around it but I don't think they will. It's different from Davis Cup because Llodra and Benneteau can still play doubles without taking two singles spots. My guess is it will be Tsonga, Simon, Monfils, and Gasquet for singles and Benneteau/Llodra and a combination of Tsonga, Monfils, and Gasquet for the second doubles team. Who knows for mixed doubles, particularly with Bartoli out. I'm not sure anyone will even qualify from France for the women.
Old 03-28-2012, 05:17 PM   #172
country flag lalaland

lalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond repute

I think the double is pretty much set. It's Tsonga-Llodra, Gasquet-Monfils. Strange, eh? I thought so. Cos I would have bet my house that Mika will want to pair with Benny (and good that I didn't), I thought Mika has the say on who he pairs with, but turned out that it seems Tsonga is the one who was asked who he wants to pair with and of course he said Mika. What I also don't understand is why Gasquet/Monfils, why not Gasquet/Benny? It just seems to me that Benny is a better double player than that 2. Oh well, politics, I guess. Benny reportedly was very upset that he's been left out of the double teams. I would if I were him.

So yes, that's why I am worry. When it comes to the French team, results may have no weight on the outcome of the decision. All a player can do is do his part, and if Gilles plays well enough in the next 3 months and still got left out, then he has no regrets (well, maybe a little, for not kissing Guy's ass, which is the right thing to do).
Old 03-28-2012, 07:00 PM   #173
country flag mike s.

Quote:
I think the double is pretty much set. It's Tsonga-Llodra, Gasquet-Monfils. Strange, eh? I thought so. Cos I would have bet my house that Mika will want to pair with Benny (and good that I didn't), I thought Mika has the say on who he pairs with, but turned out that it seems Tsonga is the one who was asked who he wants to pair with and of course he said Mika. What I also don't understand is why Gasquet/Monfils, why not Gasquet/Benny? It just seems to me that Benny is a better double player than that 2. Oh well, politics, I guess. Benny reportedly was very upset that he's been left out of the double teams. I would if I were him.

So yes, that's why I am worry. When it comes to the French team, results may have no weight on the outcome of the decision. All a player can do is do his part, and if Gilles plays well enough in the next 3 months and still got left out, then he has no regrets (well, maybe a little, for not kissing Guy's ass, which is the right thing to do).
Wow, I didn't know that. That's sort of unfair to Benneteau, why wouldn't you maximize the number of players who can make the team? Particularly when Gasquet and Monfils aren't that good at doubles (I don't think Monfils has won a match since Hamburg when he played with Gilles.)

I think singles are a little bit different because only the top 10 are direct acceptance for doubles although I wouldn't put it past Guy to give Benneteau the fourth singles spot because he beat Gilles at the Aussie Open even though he's 15-20 ranking spots behind him or even just let Llodra play and only invite four players when there could be six

I really dislike Forget and the FFT sometimes.
Old 03-28-2012, 08:06 PM   #174
country flag lalaland

I liked Guy when he was a player, not so much when he's the DC captain. But having said that, he's the boss, I understand his grief with Gilles. Coach doesn't like player openly defy him, undermining his power. And I love Gilles for doing just that cos it's a brave thing to do to defy your boss knowing that will put your job on the line. But it's quite natural that Guy doesn't like Gilles much if at all.

I have problem with letting feelings interfere with the coach decision. If he wants to put the priority in the country winning, that's quite fine, that's what it should be done. Then why no Benny on the team? Nothing against Monfils but he's as hopeless as Gilles on double, Not going with Benny completely blowing that theory of country winning first out of the water.

So I think it is obvious that it will go the way wherever TPTB likes it, and that really kinda put Gilles and Benny in a very difficult positions. At the moment, Gilles is still several hundreds pts ahead of Benny and Richard. I hope by June, the pt gap between him and the other 2 is still big enough that excluding him will make TPTB looks bad.
Old 03-29-2012, 12:49 AM   #175
country flag misty1
Banned!

misty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond repute

i know this is not the place and i promise i wont talk about it forever but i was just curious what everyone here thought about marion not being able to play the olympics
Old 03-29-2012, 01:46 AM   #176
country flag lalaland

Is she ineligible because she refused to play Fed Cup? I actually don't know much of the background. I think it's a pity cos I like her and she is good. Well, personally, I see Olympics as a reward for personal achievement than anything else. I know there's always the glory for the country, but unless you play a team sports, it's an individual thing. So, I think it's a real pity that they don't let her go. But then, the rule is there, sometimes they have to give in to oblige the rule. And I don't know why she doesn't play FC, is it something personal or if she hates the coach or whatever the reason (again, I don't really know the story behind it).

So I really don't know who's right or wrong, it's just a shame that the #1 French woman isn't gonna be allowed to play.
Old 03-29-2012, 02:01 AM   #177
country flag misty1
Banned!

Quote:
Is she ineligible because she refused to play Fed Cup? I actually don't know much of the background. I think it's a pity cos I like her and she is good. Well, personally, I see Olympics as a reward for personal achievement than anything else. I know there's always the glory for the country, but unless you play a team sports, it's an individual thing. So, I think it's a real pity that they don't let her go. But then, the rule is there, sometimes they have to give in to oblige the rule. And I don't know why she doesn't play FC, is it something personal or if she hates the coach or whatever the reason (again, I don't really know the story behind it).

So I really don't know who's right or wrong, it's just a shame that the #1 French woman isn't gonna be allowed to play.
from what i know about it she was willing to play fed cup but they didnt want to allow her to take her father as her coach. She didnt want to use the team coach alone and they didnt want her father there. Its rediculous because i know the czech republic did let petra kvitova have her father there as a coach during fed cup play.

So from what i understand it is more of an issue with the coach because marion has made herself available but because of the whole situation with her father they didnt select her
Old 03-29-2012, 06:08 AM   #178
country flag mike s.

This is a tough one for me. One the one hand, I completely understand why they would want to reward players who play for their country throughout the four years so you don't just show up and get the glory. On the other hand, the requirements seem ridiculous because it is just used as a way to make sure Davis Cup and Fed Cup stay relevant. It really has no relation to whether or not the best players will be selected to play for their country in the Olympics.

The benefit for tennis players is that there is a built in ranking system that can easily be used to determine qualification unlike other sports. They don't really need to gel as a team beforehand and it's also not like Gymnastics or something, where there's no clear way to rank the players (at least not that I know of)

Anyway, I think in the end she should be able to play because there are so many factors that come into play with Davis Cup and Fed Cup. For example, if Gilles hated the coach (which he probably does ), and didn't want to play Davis Cup anymore, I don't think he should be penalized just because of one bad relationship. Or, for example if Andy Roddick didn't want to play Davis Cup these last two years because he's getting older and it wears his body out, I still think he should be able to play the Olympics, particularly because he's represented his country for so many years.
Old 03-29-2012, 05:42 PM   #179
country flag lalaland

So Marion did make herself available, provided daddy can come, they don't pick her because of that? So, on what ground can they say she is ineligible then? She did make herself available. They just don't want her. I see all those Frenchies' coaches showing up on DC weeks with their players all the times. So I don't know why they don't like Dr. Bartoli there. Is it because Marion won't let anyone coach her except her personal coach? And they have a problem with that?

I really can't quite understand the DC thing. I mean, every player has their own coach, and you go to play DC one week and they have the captain trying to change the way you play for that week cos he thinks that's the only way you can win (well, referring to Gilles' case of course, that Forget wants him not to play his game but to play Forget's game), that's just so silly. I mean, sure Forget's game is good, and if everyone can pick it up in one week, I'm all for that, it's just...well, impossible. To me, all this captain/coach situation in DC is just one big power struggle. That's my theory why Gilles sucks in DC, because he's always confused, when you are losing and your captain tells you to do something you don't normally do, you'll be in that court thinking, should I follow the captain's order or should I do what I usually do to dig myself out of troubles. So it ended up a mess for him since he's not sure which way to go anymore.

Well, anyway. I feel bad for Marion. She was a Wimbledon finalist once, she has probably 10 times more chance than any other french woman player to get close to a medal. And more importantly, she's in good form (atm anyway, since she just gave Vika her first loss of the year). France just shoot herself at the foot for not letting her go.
Old 03-29-2012, 08:00 PM   #180
country flag misty1
Banned!

Quote:
So Marion did make herself available, provided daddy can come, they don't pick her because of that? So, on what ground can they say she is ineligible then? She did make herself available. They just don't want her. I see all those Frenchies' coaches showing up on DC weeks with their players all the times. So I don't know why they don't like Dr. Bartoli there. Is it because Marion won't let anyone coach her except her personal coach? And they have a problem with that?

I really can't quite understand the DC thing. I mean, every player has their own coach, and you go to play DC one week and they have the captain trying to change the way you play for that week cos he thinks that's the only way you can win (well, referring to Gilles' case of course, that Forget wants him not to play his game but to play Forget's game), that's just so silly. I mean, sure Forget's game is good, and if everyone can pick it up in one week, I'm all for that, it's just...well, impossible. To me, all this captain/coach situation in DC is just one big power struggle. That's my theory why Gilles sucks in DC, because he's always confused, when you are losing and your captain tells you to do something you don't normally do, you'll be in that court thinking, should I follow the captain's order or should I do what I usually do to dig myself out of troubles. So it ended up a mess for him since he's not sure which way to go anymore.

Well, anyway. I feel bad for Marion. She was a Wimbledon finalist once, she has probably 10 times more chance than any other french woman player to get close to a medal. And more importantly, she's in good form (atm anyway, since she just gave Vika her first loss of the year). France just shoot herself at the foot for not letting her go.
yeah, thats pretty much it. I agree with you too. Marion has tried different appeals to get into the olympics but all have failed

anyway i guess its time to get back to talking about gilles now