Sacha Baron Cohen is an asshole - Page 4 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 02-29-2012, 02:15 AM   #46
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

buddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sacha Baron Cohen is an asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by abraxas21 View Post

his jokes are neither funny or clever. i remember when i watched borat i was just disgusted by him. he's just a asshole deriding others and selling tickets because of it.
I thought you would have loved Borat. Mostly he was deriding Americans.

Whether he is funny or not is a matter of opinion. But only the most insecure, humourless, politically correct asshole would come up with the opinion that satire should be limited to ''acceptable'' targets. If you can't see that ''politically correct satire'' is an oxymoron, best to just just stay in your room and read your Marx (Karl, not Groucho).
Advertisement

Old 02-29-2012, 02:19 AM   #47
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

buddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seingeist View Post
This seems to be a common misconception, but I believe I know how to clear it up:

Comedians are funny.
Come on, now. His takedown of of those US politicians and fundamentalists was hilarious.
Old 02-29-2012, 02:22 AM   #48
country flag Mjau!

Mjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyholly View Post
Come on, now. His takedown of of those US politicians and fundamentalists was hilarious.
He's a fundamentalist himself.
Mjau! is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 02:24 AM   #49
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagingLamb View Post

Borat wasn't about 'cracking racist jokes'. Sacha Baron Cohen portrayed a person who was obviously a backward idiot. What was shocking was people's reactions, or lack thereof, when he did say racist things, such as when the people in the bar sang along to "throw the jew down the well".
That was probably the only part of the movie that abraxas liked.

When they had that piece about whacking Jews in Kazakhstan, abraxas probably thought he was satirising the people of Kazakhstan, without being able to see that he was actually satirizing anti-Semites.

Last edited by buddyholly : 02-29-2012 at 02:46 AM.
buddyholly is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 02:38 AM   #50
country flag Seingeist

Seingeist has a reputation beyond reputeSeingeist has a reputation beyond reputeSeingeist has a reputation beyond reputeSeingeist has a reputation beyond reputeSeingeist has a reputation beyond reputeSeingeist has a reputation beyond reputeSeingeist has a reputation beyond reputeSeingeist has a reputation beyond reputeSeingeist has a reputation beyond reputeSeingeist has a reputation beyond reputeSeingeist has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssin View Post
+1. A very good and appropriate thread, imo.

never thought he was funny (and never doubted my own taste, but to each their own). I don't think he is stupid at all, he is intelligent, but more than that he is just sly, basically feeding off human ignorance and questionable taste, which could be a nice play to some people, you can perceive it as camp but it's just not my cup of tea. I mean, I can enjoy good trash but this is not the thing.

On the other hand, films by Coen brothers like that in your avatar are products of true spirit, inspiration and intelligence. And they are actually funny. Some of their movies like Fargo and Barton Fink are just masterpieces, younger generations will learn about them in schools unlike Baron Cohen. So, there are Cohens and Coens, before someone decides you are anti-Jewish or something like that
Spot on!

Excellent post.

@BH: ssin's comments above can serve nicely as my reply.
Seingeist is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 02:43 AM   #51
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

What I found intriguing about Borat was the blurring of reality and acting. I mean was that horse falling in the background at the rodeo real or staged? Were those people at the rodeo actually applauding the "war of terror"? Given the kind of people at such a rodeo, we are left with not knowing whether their outrageous behaviour was real or whether they were actors. I still don't know.

Borat was exactly like Monty Python - except that Monty Python was never real, and Borat just might be real! Scary funny indeed!
Old 02-29-2012, 02:59 AM   #52
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

Quote:

now, his new movie 'The Dictator' is clearly aimed at the Arabs. i wonder if he is going to portray a balanced picture because people like him fuel the suspicion that many people are motivated by sectarianism than anything else.
Who told you who it is aimed at? As far as I can see it is aimed at certain dictators like Hussein, Gadaafi and Assad and in no way at all is aimed at ''the Arabs''. Do you really think those guys do not deserve to be satirised?

Hey, the movie is based on that modern, Iraqi classic novel "Jabibah and the King.'' What's not to like?
Old 02-29-2012, 04:17 AM   #53
country flag abraxas21

abraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagingLamb View Post

Borat wasn't about 'cracking racist jokes'. Sacha Baron Cohen portrayed a person who was obviously a backward idiot. What was shocking was people's reactions, or lack thereof, when he did say racist things, such as when the people in the bar sang along to "throw the jew down the well".

That's where the racism came from, and that's what should have been offensive. Not Sacha Baron Cohen's silly character, but that people who come from a civilized country and clearly aren't in character, or clearly aren't backwards idiots could behave in such a racially insensitive way. That's what the movie was trying to do, to expose the latent racism that still exists in America. Even in Bruno, although the character was really over the top, the real homophobia came from people's reactions to Bruno, not Bruno himself.

I'm sorry if you didn't get that.

Anyhow, about the dictator, you haven't even seen the movie and you've already drawn premature conclusions. From the trailer, it seems like he's making fun of the brutal arab dictators of the middle east, such as ghadafi.

I don't see the racism in that.
you are misunderstanding me.

i'm not claiming he's racist (well, not necessarily), i'm simply taking issue with your idea that just because hes a 'comedian' he should more or less get a free pass. comedy, as any form of expression, can be quite powerful and measures should be taken to see that it doesn't get out of certain bouderies.
Old 02-29-2012, 04:19 AM   #54
country flag abraxas21

abraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssin View Post
+1. A very good and appropriate thread, imo.

never thought he was funny (and never doubted my own taste, but to each their own). I don't think he is stupid at all, he is intelligent, but more than that he is just sly, basically feeding off human ignorance and questionable taste, which could be a nice play to some people, you can perceive it as camp but it's just not my cup of tea. I mean, I can enjoy good trash but this is not the thing.

On the other hand, films by Coen brothers like that in your avatar are products of true spirit, inspiration and intelligence. And they are actually funny. Some of their movies like Fargo and Barton Fink are just masterpieces, younger generations will learn about them in schools unlike Baron Cohen. So, there are Cohens and Coens, before someone decides you are anti-Jewish or something like that
exactly. couldn't have said it better myself.
Old 02-29-2012, 04:26 AM   #55
country flag abraxas21

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyholly View Post
When they had that piece about whacking Jews in Kazakhstan, abraxas probably thought he was satirising the people of Kazakhstan, without being able to see that he was actually satirizing anti-Semites.
if that's so, then i wonder why the kazakhs were so offended by it? a dumb nation, i guess.
Old 02-29-2012, 04:39 AM   #56
country flag abraxas21

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiaben View Post
Agree with you 100% wholeheartedly.

But my mom thinks Borat was okay compared to his works that came after (not because they were biased or not, but because the material just wasn't funny or satirical at all).

She said it hard to call him biased because he not only took a pot shot at the cultures you mentioned above (which seemed biased in the beginning), but the Borat film took a twist when he took a pot shot against both Americans and the American South.
yup, i agree. then again, he knows who to deride and when to keep quiet. making fun of an american redneck is easy, taking the piss out of pamela anderson is acceptabe and deriding a small eastern nation noone has heard is for free. with that in mind, i'd be surprised if sacha goes as far as to deride fellow jews in israel.

that said, i thought some of the stuff in borat was somewhat interesting but most of it was just in pretty poor taste and highly humourless. it's one of those films were you actually feel dumber as you watch it, and perhaps more than that, you get to feel embarrassed for the mocked people who are unaware of the situation. i remember having a similar feeling watching some episodes of jackass (a series which was also bad for the most part but not nearly as awful as borat).

Last edited by abraxas21 : 02-29-2012 at 04:49 AM.
abraxas21 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 06:17 AM   #57
country flag rocketassist
Banned!

rocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
yup, i agree. then again, he knows who to deride and when to keep quiet. making fun of an american redneck is easy, taking the piss out of pamela anderson is acceptabe and deriding a small eastern nation noone has heard is for free. with that in mind, i'd be surprised if sacha goes as far as to deride fellow jews in israel.

that said, i thought some of the stuff in borat was somewhat interesting but most of it was just in pretty poor taste and highly humourless. it's one of those films were you actually feel dumber as you watch it, and perhaps more than that, you get to feel embarrassed for the mocked people who are unaware of the situation. i remember having a similar feeling watching some episodes of jackass (a series which was also bad for the most part but not nearly as awful as borat).
you thought Jackass was bad too? Where does your sense of humour stop at?
rocketassist is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 07:52 AM   #58
country flag shiaben

shiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond repute

Worse than jackass or borat, IMHO, would be anything involving Seth Rogen or Zach Galifianakis. They've pretty much continued this dumb trend of poor tasting comedy. It's depressing how tasteless non-satirical humor is becoming bigger than ever.
shiaben is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 09:45 AM   #59
country flag Lopez

Lopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketassist View Post
you thought Jackass was bad too? Where does your sense of humour stop at?
Comparing Jackass and Cohen.......................

Jackass is a bunch of no-talent idiots (ok some of them know how to skate) inflicting pain on themselves in stupid ways. That is not funny.

This is funny:
lol, who will beat him? Wawrinka? Berdych? Gulbis? Rosol? Federer?

Only Del Potro can take him out before the semis, and he won't. Nadal is winning the AO, bet your house on it.
Somewhere out there, there is a homeless person who once took betting advice from GSMnadal
Lopez is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 01:17 PM   #60
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

Quote:

i'm not claiming he's racist (well, not necessarily), i'm simply taking issue with your idea that just because hes a 'comedian' he should more or less get a free pass. comedy, as any form of expression, can be quite powerful and measures should be taken to see that it doesn't get out of certain bouderies.
We have often talked of the PC police in jest and here you are seriously proposing just such an entity.
Admit it, you are just another fantasy socialist who dreams that in the perfect society you will be one of the few who are brilliant enough to decide for the others. But when everyone has the same fantasies, it doesn't work.

In truth, the things you are saying in this thread could be straight from the mouth of a Sacha Cohen movie character. We will never know whether it is a real person speaking or an elaborate put-on.

Last edited by buddyholly : 02-29-2012 at 01:29 PM.
buddyholly is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote