Sacha Baron Cohen is an asshole - Page 3 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 02-28-2012, 09:50 PM   #31
country flag abraxas21

abraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sacha Baron Cohen is an asshole

Quote:
I must confess right away that I am conflicted on this one. I disliked the Sasha Baron Cohen's hit film of that name quite a lot and changed channels halfway through it. Like a lot of his work, it struck me as exploitative and inherently condescending to the kind of people who weren't lucky enough to go to Cambridge as he did. It's also a one-trick joke.

Nor was Cohen's own justification for the film – he was roundly criticised and Kazakhstan allegedly threatened to sue him – convincing. He told the Rolling Stone magazine – here's the Telegraph's account – that "the joke is on the racists", because only such people could imagine that his gross parody of Kazakhstan – a place where gays wear blue hats, women live in cages and anti-Semitism is rife – could really exist.

Well, if you say so, Sasha, though there are some pretty nasty countries out there. And I doubt if you'd enjoy the joke if a Cambridge-educated Palestinian pulled off a similar stunt travelling through the more red-neck Israeli settlements on the West Bank – or even north-west London.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/b...ment-tribunals

Old 02-28-2012, 09:52 PM   #32
country flag abraxas21

abraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Groove View Post
Just because you don't find him funny doesn't mean that he is not a comedian, it simply means you won't be paying $10 to go see his new movie.
i don't have a big problem with the fact that he's unfunny. my beef with him is that he comes accross as deeply offensive to others and a lot of idiots are willing to pay those $10 to watch his obnoxious films
Old 02-28-2012, 10:09 PM   #33
country flag Pirata.
the pirate queen.

Pirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond repute

I like him, but the problem with his humour is the morons that don't understand the satire and think that he's encouraging the stereotypes when he's more or less calling them out.

So they see his material and use it as an excuse to perpetuate the stereotypes that all Eastern Europeans are ignorant, all Arabs are evil terrorist dictators, etc.
verdasco

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuitYerWhining View Post
Ever trolled, ever failed, no matter.
Post again, troll again, troll harder.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay Death View Post
mods drag this thread outside and have several spotted hyenas shit on it for 4 straight days. you may have to bribe the hyenas but they will shit on it.
Pirata. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 10:23 PM   #34
country flag vucina

vucina has a reputation beyond reputevucina has a reputation beyond reputevucina has a reputation beyond reputevucina has a reputation beyond reputevucina has a reputation beyond reputevucina has a reputation beyond reputevucina has a reputation beyond reputevucina has a reputation beyond reputevucina has a reputation beyond reputevucina has a reputation beyond reputevucina has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by abraxas21 View Post
Here's a guy who has made a living off satirizing poor peoples, reviving the oldest and crudest homophobic and racial stereotypes about blacks, the roma, eastern europe in general and even the jews themselves.

now, his new movie 'The Dictator' is clearly aimed at the Arabs. i wonder if he is going to portray a balanced picture because people like him fuel the suspicion that many people are motivated by sectarianism than anything else.

his jokes are neither funny or clever. i remember when i watched borat i was just disgusted by him. he's just a asshole deriding others and selling tickets because of it.
The objects of his ridicule were mostly rich, white Americans but you conveniently forgot that. It doesn't bother you.
vucina is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 10:40 PM   #35
country flag Kiedis

Kiedis has a reputation beyond reputeKiedis has a reputation beyond reputeKiedis has a reputation beyond reputeKiedis has a reputation beyond reputeKiedis has a reputation beyond reputeKiedis has a reputation beyond reputeKiedis has a reputation beyond reputeKiedis has a reputation beyond reputeKiedis has a reputation beyond reputeKiedis has a reputation beyond reputeKiedis has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Here's a guy who has made a living off satirizing poor peoples, reviving the oldest and crudest homophobic and racial stereotypes about blacks, the roma, eastern europe in general and even the jews themselves.

now, his new movie 'The Dictator' is clearly aimed at the Arabs. i wonder if he is going to portray a balanced picture because people like him fuel the suspicion that many people are motivated by sectarianism than anything else.

his jokes are neither funny or clever. i remember when i watched borat i was just disgusted by him. he's just a asshole deriding others and selling tickets because of it.
In Borat he satirize more the Americans than eastern europeans.

God is killing me

Last edited by Kiedis : 02-28-2012 at 10:46 PM.
Kiedis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 11:04 PM   #36
country flag RagingLamb
Motherhater

RagingLamb has a reputation beyond reputeRagingLamb has a reputation beyond reputeRagingLamb has a reputation beyond reputeRagingLamb has a reputation beyond reputeRagingLamb has a reputation beyond reputeRagingLamb has a reputation beyond reputeRagingLamb has a reputation beyond reputeRagingLamb has a reputation beyond reputeRagingLamb has a reputation beyond reputeRagingLamb has a reputation beyond reputeRagingLamb has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
great way of reasoning

i wonder what will this website's mods like you do if i were to crack a "a black and a jew go to a bar" type of joke. hey, it's all for comedy!

it's even funnier considering you have a history for being a bit trigger-happy with the bans, if i'm allowed to say that

Borat wasn't about 'cracking racist jokes'. Sacha Baron Cohen portrayed a person who was obviously a backward idiot. What was shocking was people's reactions, or lack thereof, when he did say racist things, such as when the people in the bar sang along to "throw the jew down the well".

That's where the racism came from, and that's what should have been offensive. Not Sacha Baron Cohen's silly character, but that people who come from a civilized country and clearly aren't in character, or clearly aren't backwards idiots could behave in such a racially insensitive way. That's what the movie was trying to do, to expose the latent racism that still exists in America. Even in Bruno, although the character was really over the top, the real homophobia came from people's reactions to Bruno, not Bruno himself.

I'm sorry if you didn't get that.

Anyhow, about the dictator, you haven't even seen the movie and you've already drawn premature conclusions. From the trailer, it seems like he's making fun of the brutal arab dictators of the middle east, such as ghadafi.

I don't see the racism in that.
Old 02-28-2012, 11:46 PM   #37
country flag Sham Kay
Lurrrkin'

Sham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond repute

Abraxas was right about the thing about we only laugh till the joke is on us. I was cracking up at those vids till this one-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiedis View Post
I ended up cracking up so hard I soiled myself. It wasn't so funny after that..
Sham Kay is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 11:49 PM   #38
country flag Pirata.
the pirate queen.

Pirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sham Kay View Post
Abraxas was right about the thing about we only laugh till the joke is on us. I was cracking up at those vids till this one-

I ended up cracking up so hard I soiled myself. It wasn't so funny after that..
verdasco

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuitYerWhining View Post
Ever trolled, ever failed, no matter.
Post again, troll again, troll harder.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay Death View Post
mods drag this thread outside and have several spotted hyenas shit on it for 4 straight days. you may have to bribe the hyenas but they will shit on it.
Pirata. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 11:55 PM   #39
country flag Sunset of Age
Anathemaniac

Sunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagingLamb View Post
Borat wasn't about 'cracking racist jokes'. Sacha Baron Cohen portrayed a person who was obviously a backward idiot. What was shocking was people's reactions, or lack thereof, when he did say racist things, such as when the people in the bar sang along to "throw the jew down the well".

That's where the racism came from, and that's what should have been offensive. Not Sacha Baron Cohen's silly character, but that people who come from a civilized country and clearly aren't in character, or clearly aren't backwards idiots could behave in such a racially insensitive way. That's what the movie was trying to do, to expose the latent racism that still exists in America. Even in Bruno, although the character was really over the top, the real homophobia came from people's reactions to Bruno, not Bruno himself.

I'm sorry if you didn't get that.

Anyhow, about the dictator, you haven't even seen the movie and you've already drawn premature conclusions. From the trailer, it seems like he's making fun of the brutal arab dictators of the middle east, such as ghadafi.

I don't see the racism in that.

I sometimes ask myself which is more scary, a lack of IQ or a lack of sense of humour. I guess those two go together quite often.

Am I still here? As one, with The Fear?
Am I still alive? I'm still f*cking ... Here...!"

"The Storm Before The Calm"

Anathema

Into music of the PROG-Dorky-kind? visit my blog or MTF's Prog Rock Thread.
Sunset of Age is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 12:05 AM   #40
country flag shiaben

shiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Agree with you 100% wholeheartedly.

But my mom thinks Borat was okay compared to his works that came after (not because they were biased or not, but because the material just wasn't funny or satirical at all).

She said it hard to call him biased because he not only took a pot shot at the cultures you mentioned above (which seemed biased in the beginning), but the Borat film took a twist when he took a pot shot against both Americans and the American South.
shiaben is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 12:22 AM   #41
country flag ssin

ssin has a reputation beyond reputessin has a reputation beyond reputessin has a reputation beyond reputessin has a reputation beyond reputessin has a reputation beyond reputessin has a reputation beyond reputessin has a reputation beyond reputessin has a reputation beyond reputessin has a reputation beyond reputessin has a reputation beyond reputessin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

+1. A very good and appropriate thread, imo.

never thought he was funny (and never doubted my own taste, but to each their own). I don't think he is stupid at all, he is intelligent, but more than that he is just sly, basically feeding off human ignorance and questionable taste, which could be a nice play to some people, you can perceive it as camp but it's just not my cup of tea. I mean, I can enjoy good trash but this is not the thing.

On the other hand, films by Coen brothers like that in your avatar are products of true spirit, inspiration and intelligence. And they are actually funny. Some of their movies like Fargo and Barton Fink are just masterpieces, younger generations will learn about them in schools unlike Baron Cohen. So, there are Cohens and Coens, before someone decides you are anti-Jewish or something like that
ssin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 12:44 AM   #42
country flag Mjau!

Mjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirata. View Post
I like him, but the problem with his humour is the morons that don't understand the satire and think that he's encouraging the stereotypes when he's more or less calling them out.

So they see his material and use it as an excuse to perpetuate the stereotypes that all Eastern Europeans are ignorant, all Arabs are evil terrorist dictators, etc.
When did he ever call out any stereotype regarding arabs?
Mjau! is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 12:47 AM   #43
country flag kinski76
Humor is reason gone mad

kinski76 has a reputation beyond reputekinski76 has a reputation beyond reputekinski76 has a reputation beyond reputekinski76 has a reputation beyond reputekinski76 has a reputation beyond reputekinski76 has a reputation beyond reputekinski76 has a reputation beyond reputekinski76 has a reputation beyond reputekinski76 has a reputation beyond reputekinski76 has a reputation beyond reputekinski76 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiedis View Post
I remember this

Taking the piss is a healthy exercise. I swear politically correct sensitivity will kill comedy one day.

I deleted your avatar because it was extremely inappropriate and not appreciated.
Why did it take 300 years to give the giant tortoise a scientific name?

kinski76 is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 12:55 AM   #44
country flag Dund

Dund has a reputation beyond reputeDund has a reputation beyond reputeDund has a reputation beyond reputeDund has a reputation beyond reputeDund has a reputation beyond reputeDund has a reputation beyond reputeDund has a reputation beyond reputeDund has a reputation beyond reputeDund has a reputation beyond reputeDund has a reputation beyond reputeDund has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Sacha Baron Cohen gives less than a fuck. As do most people. He takes the piss out of people. It's funny. Everyone should be capable of having the piss taken out of them. He ain't promoting hate crimes. He's taking the piss.

If you think this is racist, check out what for me are two of the greatest stand up comic shows of all time. Raw and Delirious by Eddie Murphy. He took the piss out of EVERYONE. There was no genuine hate there, though I'm sure someone like you would be horrified. He's just taking the absolute piss out of all sorts of stereotypes. It was funny as fuck.

AFAIC the level of political correctness of today is ridiculous. There's always a line that shouldn't be crossed, but that line IMO has been raised to a ridiculous level.
Quote:
everybody likes to laugh except when the joke is on them.
Incorrect. These people are called stuck up wankers. Otherwise known as cock up arse syndrome. As an Australian one of our favourite pastimes is taking the piss out of people. Especially friends. Not doing it, or taking genuine offense is regarded as un-Australian. As it should be.
Dund is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 01:09 AM   #45
country flag ssin

ssin has a reputation beyond reputessin has a reputation beyond reputessin has a reputation beyond reputessin has a reputation beyond reputessin has a reputation beyond reputessin has a reputation beyond reputessin has a reputation beyond reputessin has a reputation beyond reputessin has a reputation beyond reputessin has a reputation beyond reputessin has a reputation beyond repute

He is just not funny - not funny at all, and it's all I need to know about the man as far as I'm concerned.

I said it again just in case, now I'm getting out of the discussion before it inevitably becomes a battle of different tastes
ssin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote