del Potro's 2014 schedule discussion (First Tournament: Sydney) - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 11-18-2013, 11:05 PM   #1
country flag Mark Lenders

Mark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond repute
Default del Potro's 2014 schedule discussion (First Tournament: Sydney)

So Juan has signed up to Sydney - unlike last year where he only played exhos before AO. Am I the oly one baffled by this decision - I mean, why play the week before AO? Doha/Chennai/Brisbane looked like much better choices on paper, but let's hope this works out for him.

What do you guys think his schedule should be like for the rest of the year? I think he should avoid playing too many 500/250s, it's time he starts to challenge for bigger titles consistently and for that he needs to stay healthy. I'd go for something like:

Australian Open

Rotterdam
Dubai
Indian Wells
Miami

Estoril, Monte Carlo or no tournament at all (will explain below)
Madrid
Rome
Roland Garros

Queens
Wimbledon

Montreal
Cincy
US Open

Tokyo
Shanghai

Basel
Paris
WTF

So basically, two 500 events + the American Masters after AO, no Marseille clogging up the schedule - giving him a week break between each tournamet he plays in this stretch. Wouldn't mind seeing him skip one of the 500s though, or even Miami if he goes deep again at IW - but he will never skip that, it's almost like a home tournament.

For the clay season, Madrid, Rome and RG are obvious. Not sure if he should start the clay season in Estoril or just play Masters and RG. I don't think he will be back to Monte Carlo, he clearly doesn't like that tournament too much.

Grass season, warm-up in Queens for Wimbledon seems like a no-brainer.

For the US hardcourt season, I say skip Washington this year, focus on the two Masters and the USO, no need to be playing three weeks in a row.

Clearly he likes it in Asia so Tokyo-Shanghai combo again after US Open seems like a logical decision.

Finally for the indoor season, there will be a week break between Paris and WTF so he can target both events, along with Basel.

All in all, this would mean 4 Slams, 8 Masters, 4 500s, 2 250s (or 1) - merely as a grass/clay warm-up. Would also mean that he'd never play 3 weeks in a row apart from Sydney + AO assuming he makes it deep Down Under and Estoril-Madrid-Rome (possibly an argument to start the clay season in Madrid) - which can only increase his chances of staying fit for the most important events.

What do you think?

Last edited by Mark Lenders : 11-18-2013 at 11:07 PM.
Mark Lenders is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2013, 12:51 AM   #2
country flag cobalt60
Pacific Northwest Home

cobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: del Potro's 2014 schedule discussion (First Tournament: Sydney)

I agree with you at this point in his career. Early on I felt that the more he played the better he did. Maybe that was based on his confidence level or needs of confidence when he was younger. Now he rests when he is injured. I can understand wanting to play 250 tournaments when he came back from injury but now he needs to rest his body more appropriately and give it less wear and tear. My guess is it is tough for him and his team to figure this out. I always felt that he played more to warm up and gain confidence but now that he is older he should change it up. And he should totally forget about any appearance money now. He has made lots; no need to milk it.
cobalt60 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 07:40 PM   #3
country flag Irish lass

Irish lass is on a distinguished road
Default Re: del Potro's 2014 schedule discussion (First Tournament: Sydney)

Think he should go back to Argentina after Asia but go direct to Basel and practice or maybe holiday in Switzerland. Back and forward Asia/Argentina/Basel in a week is far too much travelling. Understand Franco might want to see children but does Juan Martin have to go too!
Irish lass is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote