Is Berdych's style really similar to Del Potro's and Söderling's ? - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 02-22-2012, 10:18 AM   #16
country flag rocketassist
Banned!

rocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is Berdych's style really similar to Del Potro and Söderling ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaKoh View Post
Err, no. Soderling has the best defense. Del Potro is pretty terrible at covering drop shots and slices.Exhibit A:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hq33L8K2mVs
No way. Del Potro's defence is the best BY FAR, that's why his slam count is 1 and the others 0 because defence these days is the number one asset required at the top of the game.

Berdych is a bit of a poor man's Safin. Some variety, great backhand but not at Safin's level and a forehand as good as Safin's.

Soderling is a flat ballstriker. A basher at times too, but his victory over Nadal was down to patient construction, moving him around side to side and then coming forward to finish the short ball. When he plays like that, he's one fearsome opponent.

Del Potro I find to be a more high percentage 'basher' as his shots are less 'risky' than the other two and often tend to find the middle of the court a la pusher-ish until he gets a short ball from his opponent. That's why I've never warmed to his style as I think it's quite uni-dimensional. The other two guys have more of a 'point construction' about them and that's why I prefer them.

You could add Tsonga as well given he hits hard at times too, but his backhand is pretty inconsistent but his net game is streets ahead of the others.

Talent wise it's hard to pick a winner.
rocketassist is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2012, 10:46 AM   #17
country flag LisaKoh

LisaKoh has a reputation beyond reputeLisaKoh has a reputation beyond reputeLisaKoh has a reputation beyond reputeLisaKoh has a reputation beyond reputeLisaKoh has a reputation beyond reputeLisaKoh has a reputation beyond reputeLisaKoh has a reputation beyond reputeLisaKoh has a reputation beyond reputeLisaKoh has a reputation beyond reputeLisaKoh has a reputation beyond reputeLisaKoh has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know, I think that the guy who made it to two French Open finals beating Federer and Nadal on the way to each would be a good mover on clay. You could argue that JMDP won his slam on the fastest surface so his power rather than his defense is what let him beat Federer and Nadal in the same tourney. There are plenty of ways to look at it. I think Del Po has problems changing direction more than both guys but he's so good from the back of the court that it's difficult to wrong foot him.

Edited to add one last comment:

Soderling is 3-1 against Berdych on clay, 1-1 against Del Potro. All things being equal, I think he moves better than these two. Many might not agree and see my opinion as farcical which is fine with me, we all have our own viewpoints.

4 criteria of trolls:

1. Appearance of outward sincerity.
2. Posts designed to incite anger or "flames"
3. Posts designed to waste everybody's time with useless argument
4. Desperate desire for attention, any attention at all

Recognize them, don't engage and put 'em on your ignore list where they belong. Feed a troll and you're just encouraging their attention-seeking.

Last edited by LisaKoh : 02-22-2012 at 11:08 AM.
LisaKoh is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 10:55 AM   #18
country flag duong

duong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaKoh View Post
I don't know, I think that the guy who made it to two French Open finals beating Federer and Nadal on the way to each would be a good mover on clay.
quite often, big hitters who don't move very quickly manage to do well on clay as they have more time to execute their shots.

The fact that the bounce is higher also can help them.

The most obvious example which has been shown recently was Isner, but there are many other examples.
Old 02-22-2012, 11:34 AM   #19
country flag Start da Game
Banned!

Start da Game has a reputation beyond reputeStart da Game has a reputation beyond reputeStart da Game has a reputation beyond reputeStart da Game has a reputation beyond reputeStart da Game has a reputation beyond reputeStart da Game has a reputation beyond reputeStart da Game has a reputation beyond reputeStart da Game has a reputation beyond reputeStart da Game has a reputation beyond reputeStart da Game has a reputation beyond reputeStart da Game has a reputation beyond repute

player - emphasis

del potro - wrist

berdych - arm

soderling - arm

berdych's style is a little similar to soderling's but not to del potro's.....
Start da Game is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 11:43 AM   #20
country flag BroTree123

BroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Start da Game View Post
player - emphasis

del potro - wrist

berdych - arm

soderling - arm

berdych's style is a little similar to soderling's but not to del potro's.....
I thought you left MTF or something
No words can describe me.
Without me, it would be just aweso.
No shit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTwEeZi View Post
Never held a racquet in my life.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTwEeZi View Post
I've played the game for close to 10 years. This should come as no surprise to many.

Banned Users
BroTree123 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 11:48 AM   #21
Banned!

Start da Game has a reputation beyond reputeStart da Game has a reputation beyond reputeStart da Game has a reputation beyond reputeStart da Game has a reputation beyond reputeStart da Game has a reputation beyond reputeStart da Game has a reputation beyond reputeStart da Game has a reputation beyond reputeStart da Game has a reputation beyond reputeStart da Game has a reputation beyond reputeStart da Game has a reputation beyond reputeStart da Game has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroTree123 View Post
I thought you left MTF or something
i returned for my friends....
Old 02-22-2012, 12:15 PM   #22
country flag Johnny Groove
Future ATP Star

Johnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond repute

I think Berdych is a better mover than both Soderling and Delpo, but in terms of pure power, Berdych is 3rd. The way Delpo just dominated him, overpowered him, did everything he did and better last week in Rotterdam, really makes me question Berdych.
Originally Posted by Nathaliia View Post
What do you like doing on MTF most?
Reading Johnny Groove threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripwires View Post
Johnny blurs the line between grandeur and grandiose
Johnny Groove is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 12:26 PM   #23
country flag duong

duong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Groove View Post
I think Berdych is a better mover than both Soderling and Delpo, but in terms of pure power, Berdych is 3rd. The way Delpo just dominated him, overpowered him, did everything he did and better last week in Rotterdam, really makes me question Berdych.
the match between Söderling and Berdych in semifinal of Roland-Garros 2010 gave me the same impression : Berdych was very good, it went to 5 sets and was very competitive, but you could see that they played differently, Söderling used more his power, he played more consistently with depth, and Berdych was more like a counter-player and varied more, the directions especially. From the baseline it had been quite the same between Söderling and Federer a few days before, Federer using more his countering abilities and Söd's power.

Berdych has other abilities than pure power

Last edited by duong : 02-22-2012 at 12:34 PM.
duong is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 12:26 PM   #24
country flag Certinfy

Certinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond repute

I think Berdych moves the best of of them to be fair. As for power if it comes to effortless power Berdych clearly wins that but it's obvious the last few years he's opted for a more tactical approach of power compared to the way he used to play which was like Del Potro and Soderling do now.
Originally Posted by Saberq View Post
if he loses this I will support Murray
Certinfy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 12:35 PM   #25
Banned!

berdych is good with injection of pace......del potro outright power......
Old 02-22-2012, 01:02 PM   #26
country flag buzz

buzz has a reputation beyond reputebuzz has a reputation beyond reputebuzz has a reputation beyond reputebuzz has a reputation beyond reputebuzz has a reputation beyond reputebuzz has a reputation beyond reputebuzz has a reputation beyond reputebuzz has a reputation beyond reputebuzz has a reputation beyond reputebuzz has a reputation beyond reputebuzz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is Berdych's style really similar to Del Potro's and Söderling's ?

Berdych is almost always pretty close to the baseline. And hits flatter than the other two. I don't think he moves good enough further back or hits consistent enough from backcourt to draw opponents to errors. Also hits more down the line then the other two.

Delpo can run and be consistent close to the baseline and also a little further back. Can hit with some spin for good consistency and can hit enormous flat forhands.

Soderling is the only one who can hit his atacking/enormous forehands with a lot of spin. That gave him his succes at RG I think. He can also play on the baseline and a little further back (on the baseline being his best position, but when under pressure he can perform from the back unlike Berdych).
buzz is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 01:41 PM   #27
country flag duong

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzz View Post
Berdych is almost always pretty close to the baseline.
yes that's also a more common point with Federer.
Old 02-22-2012, 01:46 PM   #28
country flag henke007

henke007 has a reputation beyond reputehenke007 has a reputation beyond reputehenke007 has a reputation beyond reputehenke007 has a reputation beyond reputehenke007 has a reputation beyond reputehenke007 has a reputation beyond reputehenke007 has a reputation beyond reputehenke007 has a reputation beyond reputehenke007 has a reputation beyond reputehenke007 has a reputation beyond reputehenke007 has a reputation beyond repute

Berdych and variety
Old 02-22-2012, 01:51 PM   #29
country flag duong

Quote:
Originally Posted by henke007 View Post
Berdych and variety
yes not so much (I fell asleep during his match against Nadal ) but better than Del Potro and Söderling, I think.

especially varying directions and speed, but no spin, little slice ...

he also gets better to the volley than Söderling and Del Potro, I think.

Last edited by duong : 02-22-2012 at 01:58 PM.
duong is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 01:59 PM   #30
country flag philosophicalarf

philosophicalarf has a reputation beyond reputephilosophicalarf has a reputation beyond reputephilosophicalarf has a reputation beyond reputephilosophicalarf has a reputation beyond reputephilosophicalarf has a reputation beyond reputephilosophicalarf has a reputation beyond reputephilosophicalarf has a reputation beyond reputephilosophicalarf has a reputation beyond reputephilosophicalarf has a reputation beyond reputephilosophicalarf has a reputation beyond reputephilosophicalarf has a reputation beyond repute

Classic thread example of lots talking at cross-purposes.

For example, when people say movement, is that speed? acceleration? footwork? anticipation? understanding patterns of play?
philosophicalarf is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote