Is Berdych's style really similar to Del Potro's and Söderling's ? - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 02-22-2012, 08:17 AM   #1
country flag duong

duong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond repute
Default Is Berdych's style really similar to Del Potro's and Söderling's ?

I often read Berdych categorized as a "big hitter" and considered as similar to Del Potro and Söderling.

I personally do believe that it's more complicated than that : I would put him between Federer and Del Potro/Söderling.

Berdych has more variety and also uses more the opponent's pace to counter like Federer.

He's less powerful than Del Potro and Söderling, uses hardly any spin while the other two use more spin (less Söderling on the backhand), and he uses more changes of pace with accelerations like Federer.

He has more mobility.

I remember that I found the match against Söderling in SF of RG 2010 as an interesting example in that matter.

Last week against Del Potro, they showed that Del Potro had played 75% of his shots cross-court ... while Berdych had only played 50% of them : his mind is more about variation.

Of course he's not like Federer either : I would say he's a special kind of player between those two kinds of players.

Maybe some people who know technique better than me can describe it better

Last edited by duong : 02-22-2012 at 12:36 PM. Reason: misspelling in the title
duong is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2012, 08:22 AM   #2
country flag Looner

Looner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is Berdych's style really similar to Del Potro and Söderling ?

I wouldn't say he's less powerful than DelPo and Soderling. In fact, I think he hits the ball harder (because he hits it flatter) and his pace generation is just stunning.
Looner is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 08:23 AM   #3
country flag LawrenceOfTennis
Banned!

LawrenceOfTennis has a reputation beyond reputeLawrenceOfTennis has a reputation beyond reputeLawrenceOfTennis has a reputation beyond reputeLawrenceOfTennis has a reputation beyond reputeLawrenceOfTennis has a reputation beyond reputeLawrenceOfTennis has a reputation beyond reputeLawrenceOfTennis has a reputation beyond reputeLawrenceOfTennis has a reputation beyond reputeLawrenceOfTennis has a reputation beyond reputeLawrenceOfTennis has a reputation beyond reputeLawrenceOfTennis has a reputation beyond repute

I do not see any similarity between them, if not the size.
Out of the 3, I think Berdych's forehand is the best when he is in good form. Delpo hits the best backhand and Soderling is just a hair worse than them. Soderling has the least variety but he attacks the most.
LawrenceOfTennis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 08:27 AM   #4
country flag Shinoj
Banned!

Shinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond repute

I would say. Berdych looks the Classier of the three.
Shinoj is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 08:27 AM   #5
country flag duong

duong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looner View Post
I wouldn't say he's less powerful than DelPo and Soderling. In fact, I think he hits the ball harder (because he hits it flatter) and his pace generation is just stunning.
I have another way to think of those things : a hard shot with more spin is more powerful in my mind than a flat shot, it drives more energy.

Also I think Del Potro and Söderling can better create their own pace/energy while Berdych uses more the opponent's energy.

But you bring an important point I had forgotten to write : he hits very flat whereas Söderling and Del Potro use more spin (less Söderling on the backhand)

Last edited by duong : 02-22-2012 at 08:34 AM.
Old 02-22-2012, 08:46 AM   #6
country flag LawrenceOfTennis
Banned!

LawrenceOfTennis has a reputation beyond reputeLawrenceOfTennis has a reputation beyond reputeLawrenceOfTennis has a reputation beyond reputeLawrenceOfTennis has a reputation beyond reputeLawrenceOfTennis has a reputation beyond reputeLawrenceOfTennis has a reputation beyond reputeLawrenceOfTennis has a reputation beyond reputeLawrenceOfTennis has a reputation beyond reputeLawrenceOfTennis has a reputation beyond reputeLawrenceOfTennis has a reputation beyond reputeLawrenceOfTennis has a reputation beyond repute

That's the main problem with Delpo now. He hits with way too much spin, results in moonballs. He should hit it a bit flatter in order to hit winners with it.
Berdych has the best forehand not just out of this 3, but in the world, when he is playing really well. Similar to Federer's forehand, but flatter and more powerful.
LawrenceOfTennis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 08:56 AM   #7
country flag duong

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawrenceOfTennis View Post
That's the main problem with Delpo now. He hits with way too much spin, results in moonballs. He should hit it a bit flatter in order to hit winners with it.
Berdych has the best forehand not just out of this 3, but in the world, when he is playing really well. Similar to Federer's forehand, but flatter and more powerful.
I feel like you that Del Po currently hasn't found back his best flatter forehand which used to be lethal, but I personally do feel that that one may even be better than Berdych's

And most importantly, the fact that he can also play a more spinny forehand makes that overall, I feel that his forehand is overall better than Berdych's.
Old 02-22-2012, 09:11 AM   #8
country flag LisaKoh

LisaKoh has a reputation beyond reputeLisaKoh has a reputation beyond reputeLisaKoh has a reputation beyond reputeLisaKoh has a reputation beyond reputeLisaKoh has a reputation beyond reputeLisaKoh has a reputation beyond reputeLisaKoh has a reputation beyond reputeLisaKoh has a reputation beyond reputeLisaKoh has a reputation beyond reputeLisaKoh has a reputation beyond reputeLisaKoh has a reputation beyond repute

Berdych is a slower, less charismatic, less mentally tough, less tactical Safin. Soderling is the best mover out of these three, then Berdych, then JMDP. Del Potro is a freak of nature who is freakishly talented. All of them can beat anybody on any given day but are prone to overhitting and are susceptible to consistent, fast baseliners.

I guess the one thing that these guys have in common is that if court conditions suit them, they can overpower the very best players.

4 criteria of trolls:

1. Appearance of outward sincerity.
2. Posts designed to incite anger or "flames"
3. Posts designed to waste everybody's time with useless argument
4. Desperate desire for attention, any attention at all

Recognize them, don't engage and put 'em on your ignore list where they belong. Feed a troll and you're just encouraging their attention-seeking.
LisaKoh is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 09:35 AM   #9
country flag duong

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaKoh View Post
Berdych is a slower, less charismatic, less mentally tough, less tactical Safin. Soderling is the best mover out of these three, then Berdych, then JMDP.
I thought Berdych moved better than Söderling.

I think Safin could also hit his baseline shots with spin, he could vary better spin and flat imo.

Safin was more talented imo

As for mental toughness, I think Berdych has reached a very good level in recent years, Safin looks too hard to define as for mental toughness to me

Last edited by duong : 02-22-2012 at 09:51 AM.
Old 02-22-2012, 09:38 AM   #10
country flag MaxPower

MaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond repute

It's a funny topic this because ppl just make stuff up about these three.

(pick one big hitter) has the best/worst forehand
(pick one big hitter) is the best/worst mover
(pick one big hitter) has the most/least variety

Truth is each got there own style. ALL OF THEM have awesome forehands. All of them are great movers (how can some say Soderling is a bad mover? have you seen how smooth he moves on clay?, same with Berdy and Delpo actually)

All have great serves when it's on but Soderling clearly has the most power. That he serves the hardest probably means he hits the hardest from the baseline too. Simple logic

Del Potro has the best defense. He is most patient and best at recovering from wide out positions. This is something he uses very well when playing other big hitters

Berdych/Soderling are more similar too each other than they are to Del Potro. All players are different but Del Potro has a defensive dimension in his game he can make use of in certain situations.

Soderling/Berdych tend to crank up the heat instead and try to go more for the net when things aren't working which often leads to the "Berdych/Soderling have horrible volleys" when it's more a consequence of the power in their game. When you hit hard you get the ball back hard. Those type of returns are very difficult to control at the net because they get less time and less margin for error.
MaxPower is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 09:40 AM   #11
country flag LisaKoh

LisaKoh has a reputation beyond reputeLisaKoh has a reputation beyond reputeLisaKoh has a reputation beyond reputeLisaKoh has a reputation beyond reputeLisaKoh has a reputation beyond reputeLisaKoh has a reputation beyond reputeLisaKoh has a reputation beyond reputeLisaKoh has a reputation beyond reputeLisaKoh has a reputation beyond reputeLisaKoh has a reputation beyond reputeLisaKoh has a reputation beyond repute

Well that goes to show how little mental toughness Berdych has! Not that I'm being facetious or anything but Safin made it to 4 GS finals and won 2 at a younger age than Berdych. Safin has more MS than Berdych and he survived match point against Federer to beat Lleyton Hewitt in his own backyard. He also took out Pete Sampras in NYC, in front of a partisan crowd. He took out Guga at the French when Guga was defending champ and then he proceeded to knock out Agassi. These are not easy things to do! Berdych didn't even show up for his Wimbledon final with Rafa, he was too mentally cowed by the occasion.

4 criteria of trolls:

Recognize them, don't engage and put 'em on your ignore list where they belong. Feed a troll and you're just encouraging their attention-seeking.
Old 02-22-2012, 09:50 AM   #12
country flag duong

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxPower View Post
Berdych/Soderling are more similar too each other than they are to Del Potro. All players are different but Del Potro has a defensive dimension in his game he can make use of in certain situations.
I personally think that there's more similarity between Söderling and Del Potro than between Söderling and Berdych, that's why I created this thread. Although yes, they all have their own game style and probably Söderling has some points where he's more similar to Berdych than to Del Potro.

Maybe he's a little bit between the two of them

You're right that Del Potro's defensive skills are clearly something specific.

Anyway it's interesting to look at that from different points of view
Old 02-22-2012, 09:53 AM   #13
country flag LisaKoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxPower View Post
It's a funny topic this because ppl just make stuff up about these three.

Del Potro has the best defense. He is most patient and best at recovering from wide out positions. This is something he uses very well when playing other big hitters
Err, no. Soderling has the best defense. Del Potro is pretty terrible at covering drop shots and slices.Exhibit A:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hq33L8K2mVs

4 criteria of trolls:

Old 02-22-2012, 09:57 AM   #14
country flag duong

Quote:
Err, no. Soderling has the best defense. Del Potro is pretty terrible at covering drop shots and slices.
yes but when they are taken far from the ball, Del Potro has an ability to defend or hit passing-shots, extending his body very far, which is specific.

It's also his main specificity to Cilic when I watch their matches together.

Last edited by duong : 02-22-2012 at 12:23 PM.
Old 02-22-2012, 10:15 AM   #15
country flag Li Ching Yuen

Li Ching Yuen has a reputation beyond reputeLi Ching Yuen has a reputation beyond reputeLi Ching Yuen has a reputation beyond reputeLi Ching Yuen has a reputation beyond reputeLi Ching Yuen has a reputation beyond reputeLi Ching Yuen has a reputation beyond reputeLi Ching Yuen has a reputation beyond reputeLi Ching Yuen has a reputation beyond reputeLi Ching Yuen has a reputation beyond reputeLi Ching Yuen has a reputation beyond reputeLi Ching Yuen has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Berdych is a slower, less charismatic, less mentally tough, less tactical Safin. Soderling is the best mover out of these three, then Berdych, then JMDP. Del Potro is a freak of nature who is freakishly talented. All of them can beat anybody on any given day but are prone to overhitting and are susceptible to consistent, fast baseliners.

I guess the one thing that these guys have in common is that if court conditions suit them, they can overpower the very best players.
Wow.