Are you glad that Serve & Volley is pretty much extinct now? - Page 6 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: ?

Yes, S&V is for mugs 43 17.34%
No, wish S&V came back 160 64.52%
Neutral 45 18.15%
Voters: 248. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-22-2012, 05:19 PM   #76
country flag pray-for-palestine-and-israel

pray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are you glad that Serve & Volley is pretty much extinct now?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDNDZ0Gsq3M

best version of federer imo

excellent at the baseline and at the net
i know he basically imploded at the majors

shame really- because had he made his breakthrough in 2002 he might have carried the s&v forward instead of abandoning it
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2012, 05:39 PM   #77
country flag BauerAlmeida

BauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by green25814 View Post
There's a difference between 'all-serve' guys and S/V players. Henman and Rafter are good examples, they had good serves but what made them so exciting was their approach play and amazing reactions up at the net. Guys like philippoussis, Goran etc were less exciting but those kind of guys are still around today, Isner the best example.

When people say they miss S/V they don't want it to dominate or anything, they just want a more even field where you can see different styles of tennis clashing. Thats the real beauty of the sport. I'd compare it to boxing with an Ali/Frasier etc. Imagine how awesome watching Nadal at his height against Edberg on an oldschool Wimbledon surface would've been.
I agree with that. I prefer offensive baseliners, but it's good to have some variety.

But I think Isner groundstrokes are not bad at all.
BauerAlmeida is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 06:49 PM   #78
country flag Pirata.
the pirate queen.

Pirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianGray7 View Post
Djokovic. He is the only one with variety at the moment in the top 4.
verdasco

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuitYerWhining View Post
Ever trolled, ever failed, no matter.
Post again, troll again, troll harder.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay Death View Post
mods drag this thread outside and have several spotted hyenas shit on it for 4 straight days. you may have to bribe the hyenas but they will shit on it.
Pirata. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 07:18 PM   #79
country flag munZe konZa

munZe konZa has a reputation beyond reputemunZe konZa has a reputation beyond reputemunZe konZa has a reputation beyond reputemunZe konZa has a reputation beyond reputemunZe konZa has a reputation beyond reputemunZe konZa has a reputation beyond reputemunZe konZa has a reputation beyond reputemunZe konZa has a reputation beyond reputemunZe konZa has a reputation beyond reputemunZe konZa has a reputation beyond reputemunZe konZa has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by pray-for-palestine-and-israel View Post

shame really- because had he made his breakthrough in 2002 he might have carried the s&v forward instead of abandoning it
I love it when people post highlights which means they have nothing to say . Most of those highlights don't show 90% of rest of the game that was utter garbage. It's also easy to be aggressive when you know that the other guy can't hurt you.
munZe konZa is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 07:21 PM   #80
country flag samanosuke

samanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by munZe konZa View Post
I love it when people post highlights which means they have nothing to say . Most of those highlights don't show 90% of rest of the game that was utter garbage. It's also easy to be aggressive when you know that the other guy can't hurt you.
then you should post just highlights
samanosuke is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 07:24 PM   #81
country flag munZe konZa

munZe konZa has a reputation beyond reputemunZe konZa has a reputation beyond reputemunZe konZa has a reputation beyond reputemunZe konZa has a reputation beyond reputemunZe konZa has a reputation beyond reputemunZe konZa has a reputation beyond reputemunZe konZa has a reputation beyond reputemunZe konZa has a reputation beyond reputemunZe konZa has a reputation beyond reputemunZe konZa has a reputation beyond reputemunZe konZa has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by green25814 View Post
Also Djokovic is a defensive baseliner you guys, the only top guy he looks like the attacker against is Nadal.
2 handed backhand is offensive and one handed BH is defensive in case you don't know
Old 02-22-2012, 07:27 PM   #82
country flag munZe konZa

Quote:
Originally Posted by samanosuke View Post
then you should post just highlights
Did someone ask you something ?
Old 02-22-2012, 07:30 PM   #83
country flag samanosuke

samanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond repute

People think that popular sentence " your tennis knowledge could cover a post stamp " is an allegoric, it's more like hyperbole
samanosuke is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 07:34 PM   #84
country flag DrJules

DrJules has a reputation beyond reputeDrJules has a reputation beyond reputeDrJules has a reputation beyond reputeDrJules has a reputation beyond reputeDrJules has a reputation beyond reputeDrJules has a reputation beyond reputeDrJules has a reputation beyond reputeDrJules has a reputation beyond reputeDrJules has a reputation beyond reputeDrJules has a reputation beyond reputeDrJules has a reputation beyond repute

Not good for tennis.

Federer 17 GS, 6 Year End Masters, 21 Master Series.
Nadal 13 GS, 0 Year End Masters, 26 Master Series, 1 Olympic Gold.
Djokovic 6 GS, 3 Year End Masters, 18 Master Series.

DrJules is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 07:55 PM   #85
country flag Slice Winner

Slice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
2 handed backhand is offensive and one handed BH is defensive in case you don't know
If we're talking topspin, then you're wrong.

It's harder to defend and easier to attack with 1 handed topspin.
It's easier to defend (more consistent) and harder to attack (less power) with 2 handed topspin.

Admittedly 1 handers tend to slice more, which is usually used defensively.
Slice Winner is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 07:55 PM   #86
country flag Slice Winner

Slice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by pray-for-palestine-and-israel View Post

Some sexy tennis there.
Slice Winner is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 08:38 PM   #87
country flag emotion
Racquet smash enthusiast

emotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond repute

You know, I kinda like baseliners better but now I find myself rooting for Lopez, Stepanek, Petzschner, Llodra and Mayer just because they are the last- and only Llodra does nothing else- against players I prefer (I like Melzer anyhow)

Youzhny, Robredo, Matosevic, Monaco, Kohlschreiber, Hanescu, Kukushkin, Gulbis, Rosol, Bozoljac, Dolgopolov, Gabashvili, Hernych, Starace, Stakhovsky, Zeballos, Herbert, Tursunov, Djokovic, Gonzalez
emotion is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 08:47 PM   #88
country flag leng jai

leng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
MTF's collective IQ halves everytime you post.

Ajde.

TOMMY HASS
0 slams () and 0 finals
0 consecutive weeks at world no. 1
0 consecutive Laureus World Sports Awards
0 times qualified for YEC
3-13 H2H against Rogi Featherer
0-5 H2H against Rafito Nadal!
Career low ranking: 1,241 (26.06.1995)
0 fake mullets flaunted in Roland Garros finals.
1 first name in common with Tommy Robredo
leng jai is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 09:21 PM   #89
country flag BigJohn
Banned!

BigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
:semi:

A MunZe quality post.
BigJohn is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 09:25 PM   #90
country flag fast_clay

fast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond repute

what is old is new again... and, it will be that way...

defensive and counterattacking baseline tennis today has been pushed to a high level, and unless new players are happy just to sit back and make a living in the top 50 or grow a third lung then that won't change...

to take a slice of the pie at the very top in today's game, you're either gonna have to fight fire with fire and grow that 3rd lung... or, make your game dynamic and full of anti-rhythm... this of course will include many forays to the net both behind the serve and during general play - and it should not be forgotten: sharp, sublime world class volleys...

the lost arts of attacking take longer to groom and are almost forgotten, and the path of least resistance to bankrolling your career is no doubt to stalk your opponent for hours from the baseline... so unless you wanna run a marathon every match, then high level attacking play must come back...
fast_clay is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote