Are you glad that Serve & Volley is pretty much extinct now? - Page 10 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: ?

Yes, S&V is for mugs 43 17.34%
No, wish S&V came back 160 64.52%
Neutral 45 18.15%
Voters: 248. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-17-2012, 12:18 AM   #136
country flag J99

J99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are you glad that Serve & Volley is pretty much extinct now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voo de Mar View Post
I think it's very bad because the best is diversity.
In the abscence of this style other new styles have evolved.

TT stats site: http://mtftt.info/

Melzer, Rafa, Fognini, Murray, Pospisil, Ferrer, Haas, Dolgopolov, Almagro, Janowicz, Kohlschreiber, plus a lot more, mostly, if not all clay courters.
J99 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2012, 02:31 AM   #137
country flag Mr. Oracle

Mr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond repute

Save tennis by bringing back authentic and official wood raquets. Yes, I am serious.
is there nothing?  Because, Djokovic, Murray, and Nadal
certainly win Roger? Even David Ferrer? (Roger 14 - 0 David)
Or, Roger loses even before QF? lol

argument.

Click for Jacko & Bubble-Rod => http://postimg.org/image/tvdauba7z/
Mr. Oracle is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 02:43 AM   #138
country flag Mr. Oracle

Mr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspindoctor View Post
Serve and Volley on consistent basis has no place in the modern game. It should be used a surprise way to catch your opponent off guard to win points, not mindlessly rush the net even after second serves. I am glad S&V is dead so real tennis fans can enjoy real tennis.
Ah Son, let me get you up to speed. When a server approaches the net to volley, and is passed, he will learn to volley less. A player who places a serve nicely and follows up with a magical and finessed volley is employing a carefully choreographed cluster f$c#! of offensive prowess. I remember when the game was SOOO much more complex when players used to serve and volley (mindless servebots and baseline clowns needed not apply). The good 'ole days they were. Every time Mcenroe rushed to the net there was anticipation about what would happen. It's like the "smell the glove" scene from spinal tap: "here's my great serve, and now watch me bitchslap you with my volley!" A great returner, endowed with sublime groundstrokes would say: "oh no you didn't just approach the net again! eat this beyotch!" And so this game of foreplay would be played.

Real men serve and volley, just ask Navratilova!

argument.

Old 05-17-2012, 02:50 AM   #139
country flag Mountaindewslave

Mountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond repute

serve and volley is exciting and I miss it because it actually took some guts to risk it and run into the net...

players these days are too fearful too attempt and in turn a myth has risen on tour that serve and volleying is not very possible with the level of competetance that players exhibit from the baseline / the slowness o the surfaces....

it adds an exciting dynamic to the game, hopefully it returns, hopefully players get more guts because it is a technique that can pay dividends even in today's game if anyone would really try it out. it's a shame the only people who will try it are giants these days who can't hold their ground from the baseline.

miss it sorely

------------------------ <3 Richard Gasquet <3

Rafael Nadal
Mountaindewslave is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 02:53 AM   #140
country flag Orange Wombat
Banned!

Orange Wombat has a reputation beyond reputeOrange Wombat has a reputation beyond reputeOrange Wombat has a reputation beyond reputeOrange Wombat has a reputation beyond reputeOrange Wombat has a reputation beyond reputeOrange Wombat has a reputation beyond reputeOrange Wombat has a reputation beyond reputeOrange Wombat has a reputation beyond reputeOrange Wombat has a reputation beyond reputeOrange Wombat has a reputation beyond reputeOrange Wombat has a reputation beyond repute

I don't like Serve&Volley because I thought the points were too short. However, I would like to see more people take more risks and come up to the net more frequently (just not after serves), kind of like Tsonga and Fed's all court style. Long baseline rallies are boring. However all-court rallies that are long are more exciting.

These players I can name use S&V regularily: Llodra, Kubot, Karlovic. That is all.
On occasion Tsonga, Lopez, Fed, Benneteau serve and volley.
Nole and Rafa do it once a match for surprise.

BTW, has anyone else noticed Ferrer's added more and more volley to his game recently? Bringing back the old generation, maybe...
Orange Wombat is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 02:59 AM   #141
country flag emotion
Racquet smash enthusiast

emotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange Wombat View Post
I don't like Serve&Volley because I thought the points were too short. However, I would like to see more people take more risks and come up to the net more frequently (just not after serves), kind of like Tsonga and Fed's all court style. Long baseline rallies are boring. However all-court rallies that are long are more exciting.

These players I can name use S&V regularily: Llodra, Kubot, Karlovic. That is all.
On occasion Tsonga, Lopez, Fed, Benneteau serve and volley.
Nole and Rafa do it once a match for surprise.

BTW, has anyone else noticed Ferrer's added more and more volley to his game recently? Bringing back the old generation, maybe...
Ferrer is doing a great job of declining gracefully. He is slowing for sure, but he has slowly gotten more aggressive and for now, he's got offense and defense at the correct balance to remain a top player while no longer having the speed that got him to #4

Robredo, Matosevic, Dolgopolov, Janowicz, Hanescu, Kukushkin, Gulbis, Rosol, Bozoljac, Gabashvili, Hernych, Starace, Stakhovsky, Brown, Zeballos, Herbert, Istomin, Kohlschreiber, Tursunov, Robert, Monaco, Djokovic, Gonzalez
emotion is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 03:03 AM   #142
country flag Topspindoctor
Banned!

Topspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Oracle View Post
Ah Son, let me get you up to speed. When a server approaches the net to volley, and is passed, he will learn to volley less. A player who places a serve nicely and follows up with a magical and finessed volley is employing a carefully choreographed cluster f$c#! of offensive prowess. I remember when the game was SOOO much more complex when players used to serve and volley (mindless servebots and baseline clowns needed not apply). The good 'ole days they were. Every time Mcenroe rushed to the net there was anticipation about what would happen. It's like the "smell the glove" scene from spinal tap: "here's my great serve, and now watch me bitchslap you with my volley!" A great returner, endowed with sublime groundstrokes would say: "oh no you didn't just approach the net again! eat this beyotch!" And so this game of foreplay would be played.

Real men serve and volley, just ask Navratilova!
I don't like S&V because players who utilized such style were one dimensional.

McEnroe tried to S&V on clay, instead of actually developing a proper forehand and learning how to rally. That's why Lendl beat him in RG final. S&V gets exposed in rallies.

Your last point is funny. Navratilova who rushed the net at every opportunity was bested by Steffi... an all around player who could change her tactics at will instead of suicide runs to the net even if it wasn't working.
Topspindoctor is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 04:00 AM   #143
country flag Mr. Oracle

Quote:
Your last point is funny. Navratilova who rushed the net at every opportunity was bested by Steffi... an all around player who could change her tactics at will instead of suicide runs to the net even if it wasn't working.
Never intended to switch to WTA but let me take a stab at it.

How come you didn't mention how Martina tormented Chris Everet for a full decade with S&V?

After the budding superstar and nubile steffi came on the scene and exposed the aging navratilova's game (she was getting as slow as molasses), Monica seles restored the natural order and reminded us about classic tennis (she matured and blossomed into a true all around player, steffi never was). She schooled steffi with a lethal serve and volley match at the 1999 AO. Serve and volleyer defeats baseliner. There are many examples such as this. Mac had borg's number. Sampras was magical etc.

argument.

Last edited by Mr. Oracle : 05-17-2012 at 04:07 AM.
Old 05-17-2012, 04:06 AM   #144
Banned!

Topspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond repute

^^^ Troll of the highest order.

Seles was a mindless ballbasher with poor serve. Remind me again what her H2H with Steffi was.

Remind me again what the Wimbleon 1992 final score line was.

Not bad a for a baseliner, eh? Lol
Old 05-17-2012, 04:22 AM   #145
country flag Mr. Oracle

Quote:
^^^ Troll of the highest order.

Seles was a mindless ballbasher with poor serve. Remind me again what her H2H with Steffi was.

Remind me again what the Wimbleon 1992 final score line was.

Not bad a for a baseliner, eh? Lol
Why am I trolling? I simply explained how monica adapted her game to defeat a more physically gifted and athletic player.

Also Mac and Sampras did well did they not? You're a little young to even remember those matches so maybe you're trolling? I saw all those matches LIVE son. How many youtube clips have you seen?

argument.

Old 05-17-2012, 04:57 AM   #146
country flag tripwires

tripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Oracle View Post
Why am I trolling? I simply explained how monica adapted her game to defeat a more physically gifted and athletic player.

Also Mac and Sampras did well did they not? You're a little young to even remember those matches so maybe you're trolling? I saw all those matches LIVE son. How many youtube clips have you seen?
Always a good day when T-Doc gets owned.
"But certain interests of particular people are so important that it would be wrong - morally wrong - for the community to sacrifice those interests just to secure an overall benefit. Political rights mark off and protect these particularly important interests. A political right, we may say, is a trump over the kind of trade-off argument that normally justifies political action." - Ronald Dworkin (RIP)
tripwires is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 05:05 AM   #147
country flag Clay Death
Banned!

Clay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond repute

who says its dead?

any fool can rush to the net as many times as he wishes.

go right ahead and charge that net at will.
Clay Death is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 05:52 AM   #148
country flag Mercury

Mercury has a reputation beyond reputeMercury has a reputation beyond reputeMercury has a reputation beyond reputeMercury has a reputation beyond reputeMercury has a reputation beyond reputeMercury has a reputation beyond reputeMercury has a reputation beyond reputeMercury has a reputation beyond reputeMercury has a reputation beyond reputeMercury has a reputation beyond reputeMercury has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay Death View Post
who says its dead?

any fool can rush to the net as many times as he wishes.

go right ahead and charge that net at will.
Yes but while it was once the most common tennis tactic it's now rare to see anyone use it. It's so that rare when I see Tsonga run to the net after a successful first serve I almost think "wtf!".

The most common tactic today has to be defensive back line ball bashing. Which is better to watch? Depends on which players were talking about. In any case a good compromise is what I'd want. Someone who can ball bash just as well as Nadal and Djoko and also uses diversity with S&V will be the most entertaining IMHO.
Mercury is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 06:05 AM   #149
Banned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripwires View Post
Always a good day when T-Doc gets owned.
I don't see how I got owned considering Steffi has 6RG titles over Seles' 3... She adapted much better and was master of all surfaces. Seles couldn't even win one wimby. Lol.

Clownpras and MugEnroe are in the same boat: tried to win RG with S&V. Completely one dimensional.
Old 05-17-2012, 06:09 AM   #150
country flag tripwires

tripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I don't see how I got owned considering Steffi has 6RG titles over Seles' 3... She adapted much better and was master of all surfaces. Seles couldn't even win one wimby. Lol.

Clownpras and MugEnroe are in the same boat: tried to win RG with S&V. Completely one dimensional.
I'd like to know how many YouTube clips you've seen.

Clownpras. You make me laugh.
"But certain interests of particular people are so important that it would be wrong - morally wrong - for the community to sacrifice those interests just to secure an overall benefit. Political rights mark off and protect these particularly important interests. A political right, we may say, is a trump over the kind of trade-off argument that normally justifies political action." - Ronald Dworkin (RIP)
tripwires is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote