Which AO final was better - Page 4 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Which final was better?

2009 AO 37 40.22%
2012 AO 55 59.78%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-22-2012, 08:28 PM   #46
country flag zcess81

zcess81 has a reputation beyond reputezcess81 has a reputation beyond reputezcess81 has a reputation beyond reputezcess81 has a reputation beyond reputezcess81 has a reputation beyond reputezcess81 has a reputation beyond reputezcess81 has a reputation beyond reputezcess81 has a reputation beyond reputezcess81 has a reputation beyond reputezcess81 has a reputation beyond reputezcess81 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which AO final was better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay Death View Post
2009. one of the best hard court matches i have ever seen.
Not even close to USO 2011 final in terms of pure tennis quality. That was probably one of the best hard court tennis match ever.

David Ferrer - Leyton Hewitt - David Nalbandian - Marcos Baghdatis - Janko Tipsarevic - Tommy Haas

AJDE NOLE!
zcess81 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2012, 08:34 PM   #47
country flag zcess81

zcess81 has a reputation beyond reputezcess81 has a reputation beyond reputezcess81 has a reputation beyond reputezcess81 has a reputation beyond reputezcess81 has a reputation beyond reputezcess81 has a reputation beyond reputezcess81 has a reputation beyond reputezcess81 has a reputation beyond reputezcess81 has a reputation beyond reputezcess81 has a reputation beyond reputezcess81 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafa is the GOAT View Post
2009 had everything, quality, epicness a rivalry and a lot on stake. 2012 had most of those expect the most inportant, quality. But the 2009 final did not have a close 5th set but the 2012 final did. If the 2009 final had a close 5th set with quality of the other 4 sets it would have been in the top 5/6 matches of all time. But all in all the 2009 final was much better in therms of Quality and it was a Fedal final, the best rivalry of all time(or at least of this century)

I hope you're joking! 18-9 H2H isn't rivalry, it's domination. The whole Fedal "rivalry" has been sold to casual tennis fans (those who only watch grand slams, or even just semis or finals of a slam) by the media just to get them watching tennis and sell more tickets. The truth is, it never really was a rivalry.

David Ferrer - Leyton Hewitt - David Nalbandian - Marcos Baghdatis - Janko Tipsarevic - Tommy Haas

AJDE NOLE!
zcess81 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 09:40 PM   #48
country flag Alex999

Alex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond repute

honestly guys I can only laugh when I hear about this Fedal rivalry. like it or not Nadal simply owns Federer. their matches are so frigging predictable... I just don't understand it. I realize that there are so many Rog and Rafa fans here and they simply tend to be emotionally attached to their favorite players but ....please don't be stupid. it's probably the worst match up in tennis history. I get bored to death watching their matches. same old shit again... Nadal keeps going to Rog's BH, blah, blah...
Alex999 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 09:44 PM   #49
country flag Sunset of Age
Anathemaniac

Sunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex999 View Post
honestly guys I can only laugh when I hear about this Fedal rivalry. like it or not Nadal simply owns Federer. their matches are so frigging predictable... I just don't understand it. I realize that there are so many Rog and Rafa fans here and they simply tend to be emotionally attached to their favorite players but ....
It's not so very hard to realize the lopsidedness of their rivalry if you take into account that 1) one player's strongest surface was the other one's weakest, as well as the fact that 2) one player being five years older than the other. Let alone that in general, one player's weakness is the other guy's main stronghold - mental fortitude and a one-handed BH.
If only Fed were a genuine mug on clay, and didn't manage to continue to play on so well on his weakest surface for such a long time... it would have perhaps have looked a lot more balanced.

H2H's are very delusional stats and surely do not stop me from appreciating this rivalry (no parentheses here) at all. Rather the contrary.
And no, I am most certainly *not* a 'casual tennis fan'.

Am I still here? As one, with The Fear?
Am I still alive? I'm still f*cking ... Here...!"

"The Storm Before The Calm"

Anathema

Into music of the PROG-Dorky-kind? visit my blog or MTF's Prog Rock Thread.

Last edited by Sunset of Age : 02-22-2012 at 09:51 PM.
Sunset of Age is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 09:47 PM   #50
country flag FlameOn

FlameOn has a reputation beyond reputeFlameOn has a reputation beyond reputeFlameOn has a reputation beyond reputeFlameOn has a reputation beyond reputeFlameOn has a reputation beyond reputeFlameOn has a reputation beyond reputeFlameOn has a reputation beyond reputeFlameOn has a reputation beyond reputeFlameOn has a reputation beyond reputeFlameOn has a reputation beyond reputeFlameOn has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
honestly guys I can only laugh when I hear about this Fedal rivalry. like it or not Nadal simply owns Federer. their matches are so frigging predictable... I just don't understand it. I realize that there are so many Rog and Rafa fans here and they simply tend to be emotionally attached to their favorite players but ....please don't be stupid. it's probably the worst match up in tennis history. I get bored to death watching their matches. same old shit again... Nadal keeps going to Rog's BH, blah, blah...
Agree. Their matches are horrid. Federer knows what tactic's coming every time yet can't do a damn thing about it. Makes for horrible tennis.
Old 02-22-2012, 10:02 PM   #51
country flag Alex999

Alex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset of Age View Post
It's not so very hard to realize the lopsidedness of their rivalry if you take into account that 1) one player's strongest surface was the other one's weakest, as well as the fact that 2) one player being five years older than the other. Let alone that in general, one player's weakness is the other guy's main stronghold - mental fortitude and a one-handed BH.
If only Fed were a genuine mug on clay, and didn't manage to continue to play on so well on his weakest surface for such a long time... it would have perhaps have looked a lot more balanced.

H2H's are very delusional stats and surely do not stop me from appreciating this rivalry (no parentheses here) at all. Rather the contrary.
And no, I am most certainly *not* a 'casual tennis fan'.

I know you love both of them. It's cool, you and have been posting here like forever. You are a great girl and I love your attitude. listen, I love tennis. I can even watch my grand mom and my grandfather playing tennis and still enjoy it. it's just that I have a problem with some younger people on mtf who simply don't understand the basics of tennis, rivalry, match up stuff etc.
Old 02-22-2012, 10:11 PM   #52
Anathemaniac

Sunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I know you love both of them. It's cool, you and have been posting here like forever. You are a great girl and I love your attitude. listen, I love tennis. I can even watch my grand mom and my grandfather playing tennis and still enjoy it. it's just that I have a problem with some younger people on mtf who simply don't understand the basics of tennis, rivalry, match up stuff etc.
thanks for the compliments, much appreciated!
I rather like you as a poster as well as you know.

Fully agree with you on the bolded part - in the end, it's all a matter of just loving TENNIS, but just a bit of knowledge about the game, having it watched for a longer period of time, realizing that no 'dominance' will ever last forever, etc.,... just sort-of helps.
Perhaps that's also the reason why I do not seem to mind seeing my current both fav players having to allow the top spot to another player right now.
Champs come and go, do enjoy them while they last, but most of all - don't forget about all of the other players on the tour either. They are pretty fine players as well.

Anathema

Old 02-22-2012, 10:28 PM   #53
country flag Alex999

Quote:
thanks for the compliments, much appreciated!
I rather like you as a poster as well as you know.

Fully agree with you on the bolded part - in the end, it's all a matter of just loving TENNIS, but just a bit of knowledge about the game, having it watched for a longer period of time, realizing that no 'dominance' will ever last forever, etc.,... just sort-of helps.
Perhaps that's also the reason why I do not seem to mind seeing my current both fav players having to allow the top spot to another player right now.
Champs come and go, do enjoy them while they last, but most of all - don't forget about all of the other players on the tour either. They are pretty fine players as well.
I just wish that people here would me more sensitive. yes we all have our favorite players... it's sport, it's normal. we all want our favorite players to win. I just somehow feel that many guys come here to simply vent their own frustration and insult one another. I've always thought that sport should bring the best in us ...good spirit.
Old 02-22-2012, 10:55 PM   #54
country flag BroTree123

BroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Certinfy View Post
I prefer Djokovic to Nadal by a long long way but really the 2009 final was by far better quality wise. Drama wise of course it's this year's final but either way overall 2009 wins by a long way I say.
Truth be told man
No words can describe me.
Without me, it would be just aweso.
No shit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTwEeZi View Post
Never held a racquet in my life.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTwEeZi View Post
I've played the game for close to 10 years. This should come as no surprise to many.

Banned Users
BroTree123 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 10:55 PM   #55
Anathemaniac

Quote:
I just wish that people here would me more sensitive. yes we all have our favorite players... it's sport, it's normal. we all want our favorite players to win. I just somehow feel that many guys come here to simply vent their own frustration and insult one another. I've always thought that sport should bring the best in us ...good spirit.
Yeah, my 'idealistic' () thoughts as well.
Perhaps that's one of the main reasons why it pisses me off so much to see certain posters compare this fine sport with 'war', 'warriors', 'death', 'spartan' and other rubbish so much.
Sport is in fact a rather gentlemanly manner to deal with the unfortunate, rather nasty, and perhaps even inbread tendency of mankind - apes as we still are - to want to knock each other's head off at times.

Too phylosophical. We're going much too off-topic. Perhaps that's a good thing.

Anathema

Old 02-22-2012, 11:14 PM   #56
country flag Alex999

Quote:
Yeah, my 'idealistic' () thoughts as well.
Perhaps that's one of the main reasons why it pisses me off so much to see certain posters compare this fine sport with 'war', 'warriors', 'death', 'spartan' and other rubbish so much.
Sport is in fact a rather gentlemanly manner to deal with the unfortunate, rather nasty, and perhaps even inbread tendency of mankind - apes as we still are - to want to knock each other's head off at times.

Too phylosophical. We're going much too off-topic. Perhaps that's a good thing.
lol, the Sparta thing. it's killing me, too funny. I've always seen tennis as a noble sport. I'm not trying to be pretentious by all means, but it's simply 2 guys against each other trying to win. I do understand that many guys here try to create as much drama as possible but it gets really silly.
Old 02-23-2012, 12:04 AM   #57
country flag HDW

HDW has a reputation beyond reputeHDW has a reputation beyond reputeHDW has a reputation beyond reputeHDW has a reputation beyond reputeHDW has a reputation beyond reputeHDW has a reputation beyond reputeHDW has a reputation beyond reputeHDW has a reputation beyond reputeHDW has a reputation beyond reputeHDW has a reputation beyond reputeHDW has a reputation beyond repute

2012 for me, 2009 close 2nd
HDW is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 12:30 AM   #58
country flag LisaKoh

LisaKoh has a reputation beyond reputeLisaKoh has a reputation beyond reputeLisaKoh has a reputation beyond reputeLisaKoh has a reputation beyond reputeLisaKoh has a reputation beyond reputeLisaKoh has a reputation beyond reputeLisaKoh has a reputation beyond reputeLisaKoh has a reputation beyond reputeLisaKoh has a reputation beyond reputeLisaKoh has a reputation beyond reputeLisaKoh has a reputation beyond repute

AO 2009 doesn't even rank on the 10 best matches played in Rod Laver Arena, let alone "best final" in recent memory. Nadal had everything going for him there with the Federer match up and the slow surface. Federer just rolled over and let Nadal dominate him. Boring. AO 2012 was something special because for once, Nadal was the favorite coming into the match. He had everything going for him; an exhausted Djokovic, a biased crowd and linesmen who were calling Nole's good shots out. Nadal had two days of rest and the knowledge that his opponent was going to be dead tired. All he had to do was dot the i's and cross the t's.

I think what really motivated Novak to play well was he knew that if he gave even an inch to Rafa, it would change the entire complexion of their rivalry. Unlike Federer (who is great but is terrible in the mental department), the Djoker hung in there and never lost his composure. People keep talking about that 2-4 15-30 shot but it's not as if the entire match hinged on that, Novak created and capitalized on more opportunities when he was down and out. In the end it was sheer guts that got him through this match and I think it was terrific because he showed 15,000 people and that guy across the net that he IS the number one player in the world for a reason.

Personally I find it pretty hilarious that Rafa released his autobiography at a time when he's getting spanked left right and center by Djokovic. It was such a presumptuous move to close the book with his USO 2010 victory as if it was the beginning of a legend, only for its author to become the first man in the Open Era to lose 3 consecutive slam finals. Win.

4 criteria of trolls:

1. Appearance of outward sincerity.
2. Posts designed to incite anger or "flames"
3. Posts designed to waste everybody's time with useless argument
4. Desperate desire for attention, any attention at all

Recognize them, don't engage and put 'em on your ignore list where they belong. Feed a troll and you're just encouraging their attention-seeking.
LisaKoh is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 01:23 AM   #59
country flag stewietennis

stewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaKoh View Post
AO 2009 doesn't even rank on the 10 best matches played in Rod Laver Arena, let alone "best final" in recent memory. Nadal had everything going for him there with the Federer match up and the slow surface. Federer just rolled over and let Nadal dominate him. Boring. AO 2012 was something special because for once, Nadal was the favorite coming into the match. He had everything going for him; an exhausted Djokovic, a biased crowd and linesmen who were calling Nole's good shots out. Nadal had two days of rest and the knowledge that his opponent was going to be dead tired. All he had to do was dot the i's and cross the t's.
Err… against the winner of the last two majors, world No 1 and defending AO Champion Novak Djokovic… Nadal was the favourite? Against the person who has beaten him six times in a row? On Novak's favourite surface? Just No. No one was calling Nadal the favourite – at best, it was 50/50.
stewietennis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 01:33 AM   #60
country flag LisaKoh

LisaKoh has a reputation beyond reputeLisaKoh has a reputation beyond reputeLisaKoh has a reputation beyond reputeLisaKoh has a reputation beyond reputeLisaKoh has a reputation beyond reputeLisaKoh has a reputation beyond reputeLisaKoh has a reputation beyond reputeLisaKoh has a reputation beyond reputeLisaKoh has a reputation beyond reputeLisaKoh has a reputation beyond reputeLisaKoh has a reputation beyond repute

Lleyton Hewitt was calling Nadal the favorite, I wouldn't call him noone. I think the prevailing knowledge at the time was once it went into the 5th set, the match was Rafa's for the taking. Djokovic had that slugfest with Murray and they assumed that he would not have the energy for the decider. The guy collapsed after a rally while Nadal was teeing up for another shot, so I wouldn't say that the pundits were wrong.

4 criteria of trolls:

1. Appearance of outward sincerity.
2. Posts designed to incite anger or "flames"
3. Posts designed to waste everybody's time with useless argument
4. Desperate desire for attention, any attention at all

Recognize them, don't engage and put 'em on your ignore list where they belong. Feed a troll and you're just encouraging their attention-seeking.
LisaKoh is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote