Raonic: Gap between top 4 and youngsters not big - Page 3 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 02-20-2012, 06:10 PM   #31
country flag Sham Kay
Lurrrkin'

Sham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Raonic: Gap between top 4 and youngsters not big

Quote:
Originally Posted by nole_no1 View Post
I think he already thinks he's gonna be the next GOAT... poor guy
He'd better be thinking that way. Best if not ONLY mentality he should be having right now.

Good attitude, but first he'll have to prove he can consistently beat the rest of the top 10 before being anywhere near top 4. Same with the rest of the younger generation blokes.
Sham Kay is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2012, 07:20 PM   #32
country flag Aenea
Vault Hunter

Aenea has a reputation beyond reputeAenea has a reputation beyond reputeAenea has a reputation beyond reputeAenea has a reputation beyond reputeAenea has a reputation beyond reputeAenea has a reputation beyond reputeAenea has a reputation beyond reputeAenea has a reputation beyond reputeAenea has a reputation beyond reputeAenea has a reputation beyond reputeAenea has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex999 View Post
nonsense. the gap between top 4 and the rest of the field is simply huge. I mean, it's good that Milos is positive but he is also being delusional. like it or not, Novak and Rafa would spank Ranonic or Tomic anywhere any day. I simply think that none of these youngsters are that good. too bad, too sad.

what have these youngsters really achieved? nothing really.
I agree.

I am stunned how players who have only won a couple of measly ATP titles have the confidence to say they are nor far behind the ones who have won a ton of Masters shields and GS. I like people being positive and self believers but in this case Raonic is just delusional. What has he ever achieved? Whom has he beaten? Istomin? Yeah, right it is almost like beating Rafa, Nole or Fed in a GS final. Almost... not.

And relying just on pushing a TB never liked those kind of players.
Old 02-20-2012, 07:50 PM   #33
Snowwy

Snowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ossie View Post
true or false, its the right attitude to have. you need to believe you can compete at the top level and set your goals accordingly. if you are lucky you may one day win a slam.
Exactly this.
Old 02-20-2012, 07:59 PM   #34
country flag Alex999

Alex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aenea View Post
I agree.

I am stunned how players who have only won a couple of measly ATP titles have the confidence to say they are nor far behind the ones who have won a ton of Masters shields and GS. I like people being positive and self believers but in this case Raonic is just delusional. What has he ever achieved? Whom has he beaten? Istomin? Yeah, right it is almost like beating Rafa, Nole or Fed in a GS final. Almost... not.

And relying just on pushing a TB never liked those kind of players.
yup. I really believe that these youngsters should speak with their rackets first. I mean too many tennis players simply have a big mouth. you know, talk when you actually win some big tournaments.

as much as I like Raonic, he shouldn't be even mentioned in the same sentence with Nole, Rafa and Rog. He'd better work on his fitness and try to simply improve his game.
Alex999 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 08:32 PM   #35
country flag Miss Molly

Miss Molly has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Molly has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Molly has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Molly has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Molly has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Molly has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Molly has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Molly has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Molly has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Molly has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Molly has a reputation beyond repute

He's definitely got the right attitude but we haven't seen him play against anyone in the top 10 outside of Tipsy, correct? He did well against Roddick last year but he's hardly in his prime. We'll see how it goes but he does have a real, quiet confidence in his game that I love to see, hardly ever panics and that's going to help him.

There's nothing wrong with what he said. He said they're close, not that they'll beat the top 4. He's right, if he can hold serve and get them in a breaker, anything can happen but he also said he doesn't know if it can be done consistently.

Last edited by Miss Molly : 02-20-2012 at 08:37 PM.
Miss Molly is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 08:46 PM   #36
country flag stewietennis

stewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond repute

There is a noticeable gap between Top Four vs The Rest Of The Top 20.

Raonic and Tomic are still a couple of years away from seriously challenging Djokovic and Nadal. The Tomic slicefest against Dolgopolov isn't going to cut it; and Raonic being bounced by Hewitt isn't either.
stewietennis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 09:13 PM   #37
country flag Ash86

Ash86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Molly View Post
He's definitely got the right attitude but we haven't seen him play against anyone in the top 10 outside of Tipsy, correct?
He's played Nadal twice and lost in straights both times not even managing to get one set to a breaker (Tokyo 2010 and 2011). I agree he's a better player now then he was even 6 months ago but it's not as easy to get to a tie breaker against Nole/Rafa/Andy etc. as it might be against someone like Istomin. Those guys will get some of his serves back and even if it's only one serve every game at a certain point it'll mess with his rhythm knowing that not every ball will be an ace or an unreturnable..

I'm sure he'll beat them at some point - Karlovic beat Roger, Dodig beat Nadal etc. and Raonic is a far better player than either of them - but that doesn't equate to saying the gap is not big. The gap is huge - in terms of experience, titles, skills (movement, FH, BH, ROS, volleys, defence, mental strength - pretty much everything but the serve). Good for him for being positive but the reality is that the top 4 are way above the field for a reason - it's not a fluke - they're just fundamentally more complete and consistent than the rest of the tour.
Ash86 is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 10:38 PM   #38
country flag allpro

allpro has a reputation beyond reputeallpro has a reputation beyond reputeallpro has a reputation beyond reputeallpro has a reputation beyond reputeallpro has a reputation beyond reputeallpro has a reputation beyond reputeallpro has a reputation beyond reputeallpro has a reputation beyond reputeallpro has a reputation beyond reputeallpro has a reputation beyond reputeallpro has a reputation beyond repute

relax, folks. milos was just being generous with his fellow upstarts
allpro is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 11:47 PM   #39
country flag TheBaker

TheBaker has a reputation beyond reputeTheBaker has a reputation beyond reputeTheBaker has a reputation beyond reputeTheBaker has a reputation beyond reputeTheBaker has a reputation beyond reputeTheBaker has a reputation beyond reputeTheBaker has a reputation beyond reputeTheBaker has a reputation beyond reputeTheBaker has a reputation beyond reputeTheBaker has a reputation beyond reputeTheBaker has a reputation beyond repute

Raonic must not have seen the aus open semis and final after getting bounced by old man rusty. Maybe Milos could beat a top 4 player on his day in favorable conditions but not at a grand slam in best of 5. There's a difference between pulling out the occasional upset and consistently making semis and finals in every tournament and being able to win tough matches when you aren't playing well. The gap is much bigger than he thinks.
TheBaker is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 12:11 AM   #40
country flag Voo de Mar

Voo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond repute

He will back on Earth after first encounters with Djokovic, Murray and Federer.
Match points
Tie-breaks
Aces

Chiquita bananas ECC Antwerp
Voo de Mar is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 12:25 AM   #41
country flag Thunderfish8

Thunderfish8 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderfish8 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderfish8 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderfish8 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderfish8 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderfish8 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderfish8 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderfish8 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderfish8 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderfish8 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderfish8 has a reputation beyond repute

RAONIC!!! WHAT A GENIUS! This must explain why the youngsters have won once out of 99999 matches in the past year (although Donald Young over Murray in Indian Wells shouldn't really count cuz Murray was still crying over his Aussie Open loss) against top 4 players.

I would respect Raonic and Tomic's statements about the top four not being that threatening if one of them could win a fucking match against the top 4.

Berdych Monaco Granollers Troicki Roger-Vasselin Lu Paire

PAW Titles: Brisbane 2012 & 2014
FITD Titles: Marseille 2014
Tennis Tipping Titles
Singles: Orleans CH '11, Tampere CH '12, Medellin CH '12
Doubles: Noumea CH '13 w/ Chirag, Cherbourg CH '14 w/ BMT360
Thunderfish8 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 01:38 AM   #42
country flag LisaKoh

LisaKoh has a reputation beyond reputeLisaKoh has a reputation beyond reputeLisaKoh has a reputation beyond reputeLisaKoh has a reputation beyond reputeLisaKoh has a reputation beyond reputeLisaKoh has a reputation beyond reputeLisaKoh has a reputation beyond reputeLisaKoh has a reputation beyond reputeLisaKoh has a reputation beyond reputeLisaKoh has a reputation beyond reputeLisaKoh has a reputation beyond repute

Does the Kooyong result with Tomic beating Djokovic count? But then it wasn't Djoker 2.0 back then...

4 criteria of trolls:

1. Appearance of outward sincerity.
2. Posts designed to incite anger or "flames"
3. Posts designed to waste everybody's time with useless argument
4. Desperate desire for attention, any attention at all

Recognize them, don't engage and put 'em on your ignore list where they belong. Feed a troll and you're just encouraging their attention-seeking.
LisaKoh is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 01:42 AM   #43
country flag Voo de Mar

Voo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond repute

Exhibition matches rather don't count.
Match points
Tie-breaks
Aces

Chiquita bananas ECC Antwerp
Voo de Mar is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 01:50 AM   #44
country flag LisaKoh

LisaKoh has a reputation beyond reputeLisaKoh has a reputation beyond reputeLisaKoh has a reputation beyond reputeLisaKoh has a reputation beyond reputeLisaKoh has a reputation beyond reputeLisaKoh has a reputation beyond reputeLisaKoh has a reputation beyond reputeLisaKoh has a reputation beyond reputeLisaKoh has a reputation beyond reputeLisaKoh has a reputation beyond reputeLisaKoh has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voo de Mar View Post
Exhibition matches rather don't count.
Ok, got it.

4 criteria of trolls:

1. Appearance of outward sincerity.
2. Posts designed to incite anger or "flames"
3. Posts designed to waste everybody's time with useless argument
4. Desperate desire for attention, any attention at all

Recognize them, don't engage and put 'em on your ignore list where they belong. Feed a troll and you're just encouraging their attention-seeking.
LisaKoh is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 06:20 AM   #45
country flag MuzzahLovah

MuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe he could upset Nadal on a fast indoor court, but Murray and Djokovic are the best returners in the game, and Federer's block/slice returns against big servers are pretty damn effective usually. Raonic losing to Hewitt, a great returner, but from a different era- yeah, I'm not sure the others have something to worry about.

Emperor Nishikori- King of Comeback- Slayer of Demons- Champion of Tokyo- Conquistador of Barcelona
MuzzahLovah is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote