Federer : The Mother Of All Quests : 20 Slams And 100 Titles. - Page 8 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 02-21-2012, 03:09 AM   #106
country flag Clay Death
Banned!

Clay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The King of 100 Titles : The Great Swiss Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexybeast View Post
It should be mentioned Connors won 20 titles past 30, so if Federer wants to get 29 more he would have to do something beyond incredible and win more titles than the marathon man Connors who went around the world and played in really small venues, something Federer just wouldnt do. Laver won 42 titles past 30 but that was clearly another era and Laver played alot of very small venues aswell.
that is just it. its either win small events and keep your ranking high for the bigger events or win nothing and drop like a rock in the rankings.

and that would certainly force him into retirement. rosewall stuck around for a long time as well. it was a testament to his fitness and his desire to stay involved in the sport.

remember that we have a lot of players on the tour already who are in their 30`s: ljubicic and dr ivo come to mind instantly.

and there are others. ferru must be 30 and he is ranked #5. and that dude has no weapons at all.

finally there are other possibilities: if you really want to compete until 40 and do reasonably well and you have the talent, you can always get more involved in doubles. 35-37 today is nothing in doubles.

average player cant do this but beasts like physical nadal, nole, and fed can play for a very very long time. especially fed since he plays the game so easily and he is a master of managing his health and his fitness.

Last edited by Clay Death : 02-21-2012 at 03:16 AM.
Clay Death is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2012, 03:12 AM   #107
country flag Mountaindewslave

Mountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The King of 100 Titles : The Great Swiss Assasin

Quote:
Originally Posted by samanosuke View Post
so 30 years old tennis player needs to win almost a half of titles more that he won in last 12 years of carrier in time when surface becoming slower and slower and tennis more and more physically harder . pretty obvious this will happen
sam is right, 100 titles is extremely unrealistic. maybe he will end up with a few over 80, maybe 85 I would say tops... the only way he could get close to 100 would be if he played WAY WAY past his prime, but greats don't do that, and he shouldn't and probably won't do that because anyone recognizes that sort of thing tarnishes a career a bit

------------------------ <3 Richard Gasquet <3

Rafael Nadal
Mountaindewslave is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 03:14 AM   #108

Mountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay Death View Post
come off it folks. the big idea of this thread is to exlpore that very possibility.

its ok if you dont think he will hit 100 titles. your input is still important. that is what makes and also advances this discussion.

also where did i say they all have to be singles titles?
..... if you combined doubles and singles titles, 100 would not be nearly as impressive of a mark so obviously it was implied that you meant singles originally

Rafael Nadal
Old 02-21-2012, 03:17 AM   #109

Quote:
if he snags another 5-6 titles this year, that makes 77 already.

now we are talking just 23 for the next 6 years. do the math.

and he is likely to play until he is 40.
not true maybe he'll play until he's 33/34 tops

Rafael Nadal
Old 02-21-2012, 03:18 AM   #110
country flag Clay Death
Banned!

Clay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond repute

winning titles in doubles at an advanced age will be impressive. also fed will bring his name and his popularity to the party.
Old 02-21-2012, 03:23 AM   #111
country flag sexybeast

sexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond repute

Federer could be very smart and skip master series this year, he meets now all 3 conditions to not play a master series event and can therefor skip 3 master series events +monte carlo if he wants.

For every condition you can skip 1 of the 8 master series:

1)played over 600 matches
2)played for over 12 years
3)aged 31

Federer can play only the master series that suits him now, play some fast indoor tournaments instead of lets say the horrible slow and painful Indian Wells/Miami duo and practice hard or have vaccation during this time of the year, he could also skip Toronto and play a full asian schedule later, Tokyo+Shanghai or something like that. He could also skip some clay master series and play some fun small clay venue where he can win, they should move Hamburg 500 to spring, I am sure Federer would play there if they did so.

Last edited by sexybeast : 02-21-2012 at 03:31 AM.
sexybeast is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 03:30 AM   #112
country flag Clay Death
Banned!

Quote:
Federer could be very smart and skip master series this year, he meets now all 3 conditions to not play a master series event and can therefor skip 3 master series events +monte carlo if he wants.

3)aged 31

Federer can play only the master series that suits him now, play some fast indoor tournaments instead of lets say the horrible slow and painful Indian Wells/Miami duo, he could also skip Toronto and play a full asian schedule later, Tokyo+Shanghai or something like that. He could also skip some clay master series and play some fun small clay venue where he can win, they should move Hamburg 500 to spring, I am sure Federer would play there if they did so.
see that is the type of thing i would do if i was in fed`s shoes. the tradeoff is simple:

either play smaller events, stay in the sport while being competitive, and also be able keep a relatively high ranking.

or get the hell beaten out of you and drop in rankings like a rock which defeats the purpose of being out there in the sport and his objectives of playing for a long time.

my guess: he wants to keep his ranking high and stay in the sport.
Old 02-21-2012, 03:33 AM   #113

Quote:
winning titles in doubles at an advanced age will be impressive. also fed will bring his name and his popularity to the party.
winning doubles titles in older age just is not that impressive, statistically doubles players often are in fact in their 30's.... amassing any # of doubles titles at this point really does practically nothing for Roger's career

Rafael Nadal
Old 02-21-2012, 03:35 AM   #114
country flag sexybeast

sexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
see that is the type of thing i would do if i was in fed`s shoes. the tradeoff is simple:

either play smaller events, stay in the sport while being competitive, and also be able keep a relatively high ranking.

or get the hell beaten out of you and drop in rankings like a rock which defeats the purpose of being out there in the sport and his objectives of playing for a long time.

my guess: he wants to keep his ranking high and stay in the sport.
Federer is smart with his schedules but he is more proud than anything else, he wont back down without a fight on any surface. He will be there in SFs and Fs on slow hardcourt to battle it out with Djokovic and on clay against Nadal every year even if he loses all matches, he even played Monte Carlo last year, now why would you do that if your name is Roger Federer?
Old 02-21-2012, 03:41 AM   #115
country flag Clay Death
Banned!

Quote:
Federer is smart with his schedules but he is more proud than anything else, he wont back down without a fight on any surface. He will be there in SFs and Fs on slow hardcourt to battle it out with Djokovic and on clay against Nadal every year even if he loses all matches, he even played Monte Carlo last year, now why would you do that if your name is Roger Federer?
that pride will have to give in to reality on the ground in about 2 years.

its either win small stuff or win nothing at all and be ranked outside top 40. that defeats his objectives of longevity in the sport.

i think he is going to play and compete until 37-40 so the path for that is quite clear. and he is going to want to win.
Old 02-21-2012, 03:47 AM   #116

Quote:
you need to lay off cheap liquor asap. why confine yourself when you can chit chat about all the players.

the discussion here is very real about fed and his longevity in the sport. read sexybeast`s posts for instance. sexybeast is giving you a free tennis history lesson. pay attention.

and as for nadal, i also happen to be his biggest critic. i reserve the right to be pissed off at him. also he may be your god but he is not mine.

he has failed to improve in 2 years and he fucked it up at the australian open final. he had it in the bag but managed to let his balls shrink. that is not the fearless nadal we had come to know.

he needs to get his shit together fast. i am betting that he will do just that this coming clay season.
Rafael Nadal has brought his game practically to the highest level it can go... he just does not have the style to hit a great flat ball, his serve will never be the best around, and Djokovic will always be a struggle for him... these things cannot and willnot change.

as a fan you should appreciate his talent and how great he hits the ball! possibly with the most spin of any player in the history of the sport. that great forehand, that great attitude and athleticism! Nadal has accomplished more than anyone could have dreamed and you will find it wise in life to recognize that there is a difference between positive criticism and negative criticism. insulting Nadal because you are dissapointing that his game lacks something and that he has won less than you would like in the last few years is childish. there is not much to change in his game, regardless of what you say, because he has mastered his style and just is never going to be a hard hitting baseliner or big server.

what is strange is that you are either pointing out your dissapointment or hope for change for Nadal in the clay season, or predicting outlandish things...

Federer will never make it to 100 titles. his own agenda (he has stated) is for Grand Slams and the #1 ranking and the Olympics. not amassing titles. he has said he will be around for the next few years with intention to be at the top of the game. the only way to amass titles would be to play MIckey Mouse tournaments which is something he clearly has no intention of doing.

this thread is bizarre.

Rafael Nadal
Old 02-21-2012, 09:45 AM   #117
country flag Sophocles

Sophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

3)aged 31

Federer can play only the master series that suits him now, play some fast indoor tournaments instead of lets say the horrible slow and painful Indian Wells/Miami duo and practice hard or have vaccation during this time of the year, he could also skip Toronto and play a full asian schedule later, Tokyo+Shanghai or something like that. He could also skip some clay master series and play some fun small clay venue where he can win, they should move Hamburg 500 to spring, I am sure Federer would play there if they did so.
I can certainly see the sense in skipping Indian Wells & Miami. He hasn't seemed to enjoy them in recent years, can't beat Nadal or Djoker there, & basically has very little chance of getting beyond the semis. On the other hand he does normally make the semis & if he's doing that in both, that's not a negligible number of points, so if he's serious about making one last push for the No. 1 ranking....
Old 02-21-2012, 12:52 PM   #118
country flag Clay Death
Banned!

where there is a will, there is usually a way. connors and rosewall are the gold standard in terms of longevity.

it is certainly possible for Fed if he stays driven.
Old 02-21-2012, 02:59 PM   #119
country flag Clay Death
Banned!

i am predicting a title for Fed at the madrid masters this year.
Old 02-21-2012, 03:13 PM   #120
country flag duong

duong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

3)aged 31

Fed only meets 2 of these conditions as the condition "age 31" is considered on the first of january : this year he's "allowed" (without any "reason") to skip 2 MS1000 tournaments (+MonteCarlo), next year he will meet all 3 conditions and be able to skip all MS1000 tournaments as he likes.

Anyway, I'm sure he will change his schedule in next years more according to his desires (+family and money ) than about the rules and the rankings, he's already started that (Stockholm, Rotterdam), yes.