Federer : The Mother Of All Quests : 20 Slams And 100 Titles. - Page 73 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 07-10-2012, 11:04 PM   #1081
country flag atennisfan

atennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Roger Federer : The Quest For 20 Slams and 100 Titles

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanKowalski View Post
My thoughts on US Open 2012.

(1) I heard rumors, that the surface is going to be faster than last year, which is good for Fed, bad for Nadal, probably neutral for Djokovic.

(2) IMO the last couple of years have shown us how difficult it is to win a turnament, if you have to beat the other 2 of the big 3 en route. Most people probably don't realise how rarely that happens. Nole 2.0 did it twice, in Indian Wells and US Open, the last time Nadal did it was 2008 also twice, in Roland Garros and Hamburg, Fed did it in WTF 2010.

Basically this means, that if you're the 3rd seed, then you're screwed in every tournament. This also means that the top seed (1-2), who faces Murray in SF, is at an advantage over the other one.

(3) Contrary to what many people think, IMO US Open is Fed's best slam in the later stages of his career, or at least as good as Wimbledon. He never struggles there reaching the SF, contrary to the last couple of Wimbledons.

(4) Unless some disaster happens, Nadal will be the 3rd seed for US Open. So there are 2 possibilities for semifinals:

(a) Fed-Murray, Djokovic-Nadal. In this case, Fed has IMO a very high chance of winning. He should beat Murray again in 3-4 sets and have a tired opponent in the final. If it's Nole, then remember that in the last 2 years fresh Nole barely beat Fed in 5 sets, saving match points. If Nole is tired and Fed isn't, especially since Nole is not Nole 2.0 any more and Fed has gained confidence in Wimbledon, Fed should be favourite.

If Nadal wins the SF, Fed should also be favourite in the final, unless he barely beats Murray in 5 and Nadal easily beats Nole in 3-4, which is unlikely. This IMO would be a similar situation to Fed - Nole at Wimbledon. It would be their 1st meeting there and the surface favours Fed. Look how Nole fans underestimated Fed on grass, only because Nole is better on other surfaces. The same can easily happen with Nadal and US Open. Fed's H2H with Nadal in the second, faster part od the season, is 6-1, with the only loss on worn out Wimbledon grass.

(b) Fed-Nadal, Djokovic-Murray. This is much tougher than (a), especially since Fed-Nadal would definately be played 2nd on Stupid Saturday. If Djokovic beats Murray easily, he will be clear favourite, whomever he meats in the final. Fed can win if he beats Nadal in 3-4 sets and faces Murray or tired Djokovic (which is possible, look at AO 2012, and remember that Murray was finalist in US Open, so he knows how to win there).

To sum up, Fed doesn't need someone to upset Nole/Nadal to win US Open. If he draws Murray in SF and only 1 of them is upset, it could even lower his chances.
Very good analyses!
atennisfan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2012, 11:09 PM   #1082
country flag PedroMarquess

PedroMarquess has a reputation beyond reputePedroMarquess has a reputation beyond reputePedroMarquess has a reputation beyond reputePedroMarquess has a reputation beyond reputePedroMarquess has a reputation beyond reputePedroMarquess has a reputation beyond reputePedroMarquess has a reputation beyond reputePedroMarquess has a reputation beyond reputePedroMarquess has a reputation beyond reputePedroMarquess has a reputation beyond reputePedroMarquess has a reputation beyond repute

Who thinks that the semi-finals will be Djokovic-Nadal and Murray-Federer? You can think that is 50-50 but if you look at it there's something wrong, most of the times the draw is made for a Federer-Nadal final, and it'll probably happen again. It'll be funny because the harder semi is almost allways for Djokokvic, being him 1st or 2nd. I hope that I'm wrong this time because I would love to see the Federer-Nadal match at U.S open.
PedroMarquess is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 12:36 AM   #1083
country flag stewietennis

stewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond repute

The majors this year have probably been the most intriguing in the past decade.

You had AO with a Fedal SF and a marathon Murray-Djokovic SF, then a F where Djokovic was trying to continue his win streak and Nadal attempting to end the skid. The FO with the Federer-Djokovic SF rematch and Nadal attempting to end the skid against Djokovic, which he eventually did. Just the past Wimbledon with Murray in the F and Federer trying to get 17, which he did. Now with the top three tied at one a piece, and the #4 getting to the Wimbledon Finals, the USO becomes way more interesting, and may determine the Year End #1.
stewietennis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 01:15 AM   #1084
country flag Clay Death
Banned!

Clay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by manadrainer View Post
He's had great draws at RG and Wimbledon, I don't think you can get more lucky than this (in the early rounds). He did a great job in the semis and finals to take #17 though.

However General Death, if Nole and Rafa are drawn in the same half and play a grueling semifinal on Stupid Saturday... Fed could have the upper hand in the final pretty easily (provided he makes that far, which I won't take for granted). Anyway I think USO conditions suits his game pretty well: he should have taken out Nole in at least one of the two last semis.

affirmative general manadrainer.

i would have to agree with you.

good post general. keep it coming.
Clay Death is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 01:19 AM   #1085
country flag Roy Emerson

Roy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond repute

It's interesting that the last player to defend the USO was Federer in 2008.

Also the last player to defend Wimbledon was Federer in 2007.

Since then nobody defended Wimbledon or the USO...
Roy Emerson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 01:23 AM   #1086
country flag Clay Death
Banned!

Clay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ServeVolley View Post
Federer can beat both of them at USO on a good day. He's not played a match there against Djokovic where he hasn't had matchpoints (despite not winning the last two ), and his form is arguably better this year than in '10-'11, so excellent chances there.

As for Nadal, they've never played at USO, but you'd have to put Federer as the slight favourite. Slam-wise it's Nadal's second-worst surface while Federer's second-best (and I heard rumours it would be faster this year). If the likes of Murray and Del Potro can put him out there, then surely Federer can too.

negative. he cannot. this is not a best of 3 sets foremat. and fed is not 25 years old anymore.

and he is 31 in a few days.

did you forget that nadal and fed played a final at the australian open. fed was playing the best he had in several years. what happened?

beating nole and nadal both at a same slam is not something that is going to happen.

also they will both be better rested and better prepared for the next slam.

somebody has to take out nadal or nole for him.

who can that player be? can that even happen?
Old 07-11-2012, 01:27 AM   #1087
country flag RFMatt

RFMatt has a reputation beyond reputeRFMatt has a reputation beyond reputeRFMatt has a reputation beyond reputeRFMatt has a reputation beyond reputeRFMatt has a reputation beyond reputeRFMatt has a reputation beyond reputeRFMatt has a reputation beyond reputeRFMatt has a reputation beyond reputeRFMatt has a reputation beyond reputeRFMatt has a reputation beyond reputeRFMatt has a reputation beyond repute

I don't remember who said it but I agree that Federer has looked better at the USO than at Wimbledon in the most recent parts of his career. I also wouldn't count out Murray anymore either. He's getting closer and closer. On a good day, he could beat any one of the top 3. The only player in the top 4 I can't see winning it is Nadal. He seems like he's already starting to hit the slippery slope of his career (minus clay).
RFMatt is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 01:36 AM   #1088
country flag Clay Death
Banned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Emerson View Post
It's interesting that the last player to defend the USO was Federer in 2008.

Also the last player to defend Wimbledon was Federer in 2007.

Since then nobody defended Wimbledon or the USO...

it is also intesresting that the very best hard court player on the planet is nole today until proven differently.

he is the defending u.s. open champ and he is the australian open champ. he defended OZ and he also defended miami masters.

i think it gets quite tricky fed if the clay warrior lands in his 1/2.
Old 07-11-2012, 01:39 AM   #1089
country flag Honestly
Banned!

Honestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond repute

Like Death says, this US Open will be very interesting. Both Djoker and Nadal have something to prove. More so Nadal. Given that the US Open is not his favorite hunting ground, it only follows that he must be very hungry when he steps into NY. So as always things are pretty even between the top 3 there. You can even add Muray to that equation. If he views his performance at Wimby as a positive, he can build on that and be dangerous in NY. Delpo is also dangerous there. As a Fedfan I this will sound biased, but I think Roger may just be the favorite. He will be so confident and relaxed after winning Wimby that you better believe he will play as if he has nothing to lose there. I'm gonna go ahead and give him the slight edge there. Especially if the conditions is faster like some poster remarked. He can serve and play attacking tennis there on his way to #6. Of course Nadal is always a major obstacle for him, but if there is one event and one situation he can beat NAdal, it's at this year's USO. In fact I'd love to see them face off there. But if Nadal ends up in Djokers draw it will be very interesting indeed. Exciting stuff ahead.
Honestly is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 01:45 AM   #1090
country flag Clay Death
Banned!

its general death the destroyer of dreams.

"honestly" what are we do with you?

how many times do we have to remind you to dispense with that buffoonian username.

use "crooks r us" instead.
Old 07-11-2012, 02:09 AM   #1091
country flag Honestly
Banned!

Honestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay Death View Post
its general death the destroyer of dreams.

"honestly" what are we do with you?

how many times do we have to remind you to dispense with that buffoonian username.

use "crooks r us" instead.
I was just giving my honest opinion, destroyer of dreams
Honestly is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 02:11 AM   #1092
country flag Arkulari
Faithful Txurigorri

Arkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
negative. he cannot. this is not a best of 3 sets foremat. and fed is not 25 years old anymore.

and he is 31 in a few days.

did you forget that nadal and fed played a final at the australian open. fed was playing the best he had in several years. what happened?

beating nole and nadal both at a same slam is not something that is going to happen.

also they will both be better rested and better prepared for the next slam.

somebody has to take out nadal or nole for him.

who can that player be? can that even happen?
CD: beginning of the year, no bad knees (yet) for Rafa, lots of confidence for beating Roger at Wimbledon, slow high bouncing hardcourt...

Right now Rafa is not confident on hardcourts, much less faster ones and Roger's game suits the USO more than Rafa's so I wouldn't put it past the Swiss to beat the Spaniard here, he nearly beat Nole last year so if he can catch him here and play his best he might win.

You know Rafa is killing his knees playing so much hardcourt events, hell sometimes his choices baffle me and I get angry at him playing doubles, he doesn't need to extend his hardcourt playing time more than it is really necessary.

All of that considering that Roger is playing close to 100% (and I don't mean health but game level), can't bet on him doing it but cannot say he won't do it either, with him everything is possible, specially in fast hardcourt

Last edited by Arkulari : 07-11-2012 at 02:16 AM.
Arkulari is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 02:13 AM   #1093
country flag Clay Death
Banned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honestly View Post
I was just giving my honest opinion, destroyer of dreams

affirmative.
Old 07-11-2012, 02:20 AM   #1094
country flag Shadow Knows

Shadow Knows has a reputation beyond reputeShadow Knows has a reputation beyond reputeShadow Knows has a reputation beyond reputeShadow Knows has a reputation beyond reputeShadow Knows has a reputation beyond reputeShadow Knows has a reputation beyond reputeShadow Knows has a reputation beyond reputeShadow Knows has a reputation beyond reputeShadow Knows has a reputation beyond reputeShadow Knows has a reputation beyond reputeShadow Knows has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
This is an indefensible statement. That was in the middle of one of his worst extended stretches of tennis in the last decade, as he struggled with back issues from the fall of '08 through Rome '09.
Shadow Knows is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 02:22 AM   #1095
country flag shanks

shanks has a reputation beyond reputeshanks has a reputation beyond reputeshanks has a reputation beyond reputeshanks has a reputation beyond reputeshanks has a reputation beyond reputeshanks has a reputation beyond reputeshanks has a reputation beyond reputeshanks has a reputation beyond reputeshanks has a reputation beyond reputeshanks has a reputation beyond reputeshanks has a reputation beyond repute

Djokovic has to start as favorite. He is supremely confident sliding and running on hardcourts compared to grass.

I think for the 1st time,draw is gonna make a HUGE impact. Whoever gets Murray might be the lucky one, no disrespect to Murray

IF Fed gets Nadal in semi, it is mission impossible for him to win the whole thing by playing Djokovic in final

If Nadal faces Djokovic in semis its impossible for him to beat both Djoker & Fed back to back on hardcourts

Djokovic did just that beating Fed & Nadal back to back last year at US Open. He has the slight edge fitness wise as well
shanks is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote