Federer : The Mother Of All Quests : 20 Slams And 100 Titles. - Page 72 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 07-10-2012, 06:42 PM   #1066
country flag PedroMarquess

PedroMarquess has a reputation beyond reputePedroMarquess has a reputation beyond reputePedroMarquess has a reputation beyond reputePedroMarquess has a reputation beyond reputePedroMarquess has a reputation beyond reputePedroMarquess has a reputation beyond reputePedroMarquess has a reputation beyond reputePedroMarquess has a reputation beyond reputePedroMarquess has a reputation beyond reputePedroMarquess has a reputation beyond reputePedroMarquess has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Roger Federer : The Quest For 20 Slams and 100 Titles

I think that he can win more 1 or 2 slams, 20 seems too much. It doesn't matter much, because at the moment he is the GOAT for me. In the future probably there will be someone better and it's still in Nadal's reach to top Federer.
PedroMarquess is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2012, 06:48 PM   #1067
country flag chammer44

chammer44 has a reputation beyond reputechammer44 has a reputation beyond reputechammer44 has a reputation beyond reputechammer44 has a reputation beyond reputechammer44 has a reputation beyond reputechammer44 has a reputation beyond reputechammer44 has a reputation beyond reputechammer44 has a reputation beyond reputechammer44 has a reputation beyond reputechammer44 has a reputation beyond reputechammer44 has a reputation beyond repute

Caught between the Nadal rock and the djoker hard place the Swiss miss hasn't a chance at 20
chammer44 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 06:56 PM   #1068
country flag Clay Death
Banned!

Clay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond repute

clay warrior just needs to worry about what he can do based on his own unique set of competitive advantages. i believe that is exactly what he is doing.

i dont think he has any sleeepless nights worrying about what fed can do or what he is doing.

trying to chase 17 slams would be a foolish agenda that could end his career.
Clay Death is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 07:13 PM   #1069
country flag Evitman

Evitman has a reputation beyond reputeEvitman has a reputation beyond reputeEvitman has a reputation beyond reputeEvitman has a reputation beyond reputeEvitman has a reputation beyond reputeEvitman has a reputation beyond reputeEvitman has a reputation beyond reputeEvitman has a reputation beyond reputeEvitman has a reputation beyond reputeEvitman has a reputation beyond reputeEvitman has a reputation beyond repute

I'd love to see Fed defeat Nadal in straight sets in the semifinal of USO 2012 and then take the title against Djokovic, saving 5 championship points in the process.
Evitman is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 07:26 PM   #1070
country flag Clay Death
Banned!

Clay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond repute

u.s. open is a tough foremat for fed now. he is 31.

wimbledon remains the least demanding slam for him.

he will need nole and the clay warrior to fall apart and upset by somebody at the open. chances of that happening are not that high this time around. both will be well rested and ready.

long grueling RG campaign pretty much wore out both nole and nadal physically and mentally. they were both under a lot of pressure there.

and of course nadal was faced with the challenge of winning just about every single match during the clay season. that took a lot out of him.
Old 07-10-2012, 07:28 PM   #1071
country flag Clay Death
Banned!

fed needs a great draw at the u.s. open and he needs somebody to upset nadal and nole.

that is the big question of the day? can that happen?
Old 07-10-2012, 08:20 PM   #1072
country flag shanks

shanks has a reputation beyond reputeshanks has a reputation beyond reputeshanks has a reputation beyond reputeshanks has a reputation beyond reputeshanks has a reputation beyond reputeshanks has a reputation beyond reputeshanks has a reputation beyond reputeshanks has a reputation beyond reputeshanks has a reputation beyond reputeshanks has a reputation beyond reputeshanks has a reputation beyond repute

Hellooo general hercules. I do not think Nadal& Nole will fall early. Lightning does not strike twice

But if Fed is seeded #1 or #2, he can reach the final and there could be possibility of Nadal-Djoker semis as well

Bottomline Djokovic is the best player on hardcourts. HE will start as favorite
shanks is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 08:23 PM   #1073
country flag manadrainer

manadrainer has a reputation beyond reputemanadrainer has a reputation beyond reputemanadrainer has a reputation beyond reputemanadrainer has a reputation beyond reputemanadrainer has a reputation beyond reputemanadrainer has a reputation beyond reputemanadrainer has a reputation beyond reputemanadrainer has a reputation beyond reputemanadrainer has a reputation beyond reputemanadrainer has a reputation beyond reputemanadrainer has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay Death View Post
fed needs a great draw at the u.s. open and he needs somebody to upset nadal and nole.

that is the big question of the day? can that happen?
He's had great draws at RG and Wimbledon, I don't think you can get more lucky than this (in the early rounds). He did a great job in the semis and finals to take #17 though.

However General Death, if Nole and Rafa are drawn in the same half and play a grueling semifinal on Stupid Saturday... Fed could have the upper hand in the final pretty easily (provided he makes that far, which I won't take for granted). Anyway I think USO conditions suits his game pretty well: he should have taken out Nole in at least one of the two last semis.

Once upon a time there was a myth about strong and weak eras. On this glorious day the clownery was eventually unmasked: 30 y.o. past-prime daddy Fed became #1 once again in the supposed strong "Spartan" era with his rivals at their peak.
And they all lived happily ever after.
Long live King Federer!

17 Grand Slam titles
7 Wimbledon titles
302 weeks at #1
Legend
manadrainer is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 08:27 PM   #1074
country flag ServeVolley
Banned!

ServeVolley has a reputation beyond reputeServeVolley has a reputation beyond reputeServeVolley has a reputation beyond reputeServeVolley has a reputation beyond reputeServeVolley has a reputation beyond reputeServeVolley has a reputation beyond reputeServeVolley has a reputation beyond reputeServeVolley has a reputation beyond reputeServeVolley has a reputation beyond reputeServeVolley has a reputation beyond reputeServeVolley has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophocles View Post
Not if he kept losing to Nadal at R.G. On the other hand if he'd played Del Potro in the U.S. Open final on grass, then yes, I guess he'd have had a NCYGS.
I said 2009, the year he didn't have to play Nadal at the French. His level at the AO09 would have won it against Nadal were that final played on grass (not like mono-Fed in 08), and clearly he would have taken USO09, so actually NCYGS.
ServeVolley is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 08:35 PM   #1075
country flag Clay Death
Banned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanks View Post
Hellooo general hercules. I do not think Nadal& Nole will fall early. Lightning does not strike twice

But if Fed is seeded #1 or #2, he can reach the final and there could be possibility of Nadal-Djoker semis as well

Bottomline Djokovic is the best player on hardcourts. HE will start as favorite

excellent post general shanks.
Old 07-10-2012, 08:39 PM   #1076
country flag ServeVolley
Banned!

ServeVolley has a reputation beyond reputeServeVolley has a reputation beyond reputeServeVolley has a reputation beyond reputeServeVolley has a reputation beyond reputeServeVolley has a reputation beyond reputeServeVolley has a reputation beyond reputeServeVolley has a reputation beyond reputeServeVolley has a reputation beyond reputeServeVolley has a reputation beyond reputeServeVolley has a reputation beyond reputeServeVolley has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay Death View Post
he will need nole and the clay warrior to fall apart and upset by somebody at the open. chances of that happening are not that high this time around. both will be well rested and ready.
Federer can beat both of them at USO on a good day. He's not played a match there against Djokovic where he hasn't had matchpoints (despite not winning the last two ), and his form is arguably better this year than in '10-'11, so excellent chances there.

As for Nadal, they've never played at USO, but you'd have to put Federer as the slight favourite. Slam-wise it's Nadal's second-worst surface while Federer's second-best (and I heard rumours it would be faster this year). If the likes of Murray and Del Potro can put him out there, then surely Federer can too.
ServeVolley is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 09:38 PM   #1077
country flag Clay Death
Banned!

u.s. open just became one of the most anticipated slams in recent memory.
Old 07-10-2012, 10:17 PM   #1078
country flag Fedex

Fedex has a reputation beyond reputeFedex has a reputation beyond reputeFedex has a reputation beyond reputeFedex has a reputation beyond reputeFedex has a reputation beyond reputeFedex has a reputation beyond reputeFedex has a reputation beyond reputeFedex has a reputation beyond reputeFedex has a reputation beyond reputeFedex has a reputation beyond reputeFedex has a reputation beyond repute

Physically, the US Open is tougher on the body, but that court still suits Federer's game very well. I think he's virtually 50/50 against Djokovic at the Open and I'd favor him against Nadal.
Old 07-10-2012, 11:05 PM   #1079
country flag Clay Death
Banned!

nole is 2 hard court slams richer since last the u.s. open.

so he is going to be far more confident. i would not count him out.

he is the one to watch there. if somebody can take him out then both fed and the clay warrior could have some chances there.
Old 07-10-2012, 11:41 PM   #1080
country flag JanKowalski

JanKowalski has a reputation beyond reputeJanKowalski has a reputation beyond reputeJanKowalski has a reputation beyond reputeJanKowalski has a reputation beyond reputeJanKowalski has a reputation beyond reputeJanKowalski has a reputation beyond reputeJanKowalski has a reputation beyond reputeJanKowalski has a reputation beyond reputeJanKowalski has a reputation beyond reputeJanKowalski has a reputation beyond reputeJanKowalski has a reputation beyond repute

My thoughts on US Open 2012.

(1) I heard rumors, that the surface is going to be faster than last year, which is good for Fed, bad for Nadal, probably neutral for Djokovic.

(2) IMO the last couple of years have shown us how difficult it is to win a turnament, if you have to beat the other 2 of the big 3 en route. Most people probably don't realise how rarely that happens. Nole 2.0 did it twice, in Indian Wells and US Open, the last time Nadal did it was 2008 also twice, in Roland Garros and Hamburg, Fed did it in WTF 2010.

Basically this means, that if you're the 3rd seed, then you're screwed in every tournament. This also means that the top seed (1-2), who faces Murray in SF, is at an advantage over the other one.

(3) Contrary to what many people think, IMO US Open is Fed's best slam in the later stages of his career, or at least as good as Wimbledon. He never struggles there reaching the SF, contrary to the last couple of Wimbledons.

(4) Unless some disaster happens, Nadal will be the 3rd seed for US Open. So there are 2 possibilities for semifinals:

(a) Fed-Murray, Djokovic-Nadal. In this case, Fed has IMO a very high chance of winning. He should beat Murray again in 3-4 sets and have a tired opponent in the final. If it's Nole, then remember that in the last 2 years fresh Nole barely beat Fed in 5 sets, saving match points. If Nole is tired and Fed isn't, especially since Nole is not Nole 2.0 any more and Fed has gained confidence in Wimbledon, Fed should be favourite.

If Nadal wins the SF, Fed should also be favourite in the final, unless he barely beats Murray in 5 and Nadal easily beats Nole in 3-4, which is unlikely. This IMO would be a similar situation to Fed - Nole at Wimbledon. It would be their 1st meeting there and the surface favours Fed. Look how Nole fans underestimated Fed on grass, only because Nole is better on other surfaces. The same can easily happen with Nadal and US Open. Fed's H2H with Nadal in the second, faster part of the season, is 6-1, with the only loss on worn out Wimbledon grass.

(b) Fed-Nadal, Djokovic-Murray. This is much tougher than (a), especially since Fed-Nadal would definately be played 2nd on Stupid Saturday. If Djokovic beats Murray easily, he will be clear favourite, whomever he meats in the final. Fed can win if he beats Nadal in 3-4 sets and faces Murray or tired Djokovic (which is possible, look at AO 2012, and remember that Murray was finalist in US Open, so he knows how to win there).

To sum up, Fed doesn't need someone to upset Nole/Nadal to win US Open. If he draws Murray in SF and only 1 of them is upset, it could even lower his chances.

Last edited by JanKowalski : 07-11-2012 at 12:07 AM.
JanKowalski is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote