Federer : The Mother Of All Quests : 20 Slams And 100 Titles. - Page 72 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 07-10-2012, 07:54 AM   #1066
country flag manadrainer

manadrainer has a reputation beyond reputemanadrainer has a reputation beyond reputemanadrainer has a reputation beyond reputemanadrainer has a reputation beyond reputemanadrainer has a reputation beyond reputemanadrainer has a reputation beyond reputemanadrainer has a reputation beyond reputemanadrainer has a reputation beyond reputemanadrainer has a reputation beyond reputemanadrainer has a reputation beyond reputemanadrainer has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by viruzzz View Post
Arrrr... I still can't believe he lost that final.

I mean, I like Tommy, I support him so much, but I wanted Roger to win that tournament.

Damn! Roger... Why!?! He was playing amazingly well vs Youzhny.

Kudos to Haas, he played really well, but still... I wanted that one.

Sorry CD, I know you told me to move on, but it's difficult.
It's ok viruzzz, I wanted him to win too, but we only needed semis points in halle, that's why I was ecstatic when he won against raonic in the quarters.

I wanted to dream for a while that he could be number one again by winning wimbledon.

And then the dream came true.

75 titles, 7 wimbledon, world number one. perfect script.

Once upon a time there was a myth about strong and weak eras. On this glorious day the clownery was eventually unmasked: 30 y.o. past-prime daddy Fed became #1 once again in the supposed strong "Spartan" era with his rivals at their peak.
And they all lived happily ever after.
Long live King Federer!

17 Grand Slam titles
7 Wimbledon titles
302 weeks at #1
Legend
manadrainer is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2012, 04:39 PM   #1067
country flag Sophocles

Sophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Roger Federer : The Quest For 20 Slams and 100 Titles

Quote:
Originally Posted by viruzzz View Post
Arrrr... I still can't believe he lost that final.

I mean, I like Tommy, I support him so much, but I wanted Roger to win that tournament.

Damn! Roger... Why!?! He was playing amazingly well vs Youzhny.

Kudos to Haas, he played really well, but still... I wanted that one.

Sorry CD, I know you told me to move on, but it's difficult.
Erm, I'll take Wimbledon, to be honest.

20 slams & 100 titles are actually good numbers to discuss because they lie at the very furthest edge of what is realistically possible. There is a very small chance Fed could achieve both numbers, which makes them ideal as goals for the rest of his career. It's a shame he lost to Del Potro in 2009 as he would otherwise have achieved the Grand Slam, which is the only really big thing he's never achieved & has no realistic chance of achieving any more.
Old 07-10-2012, 04:42 PM   #1068
country flag tripwires

tripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophocles View Post

20 slams & 100 titles are actually good numbers to discuss because they lie at the very furthest edge of what is realistically possible. There is a very small chance Fed could achieve both numbers, which makes them ideal as goals for the rest of his career. It's a shame he lost to Del Potro in 2009 as he would otherwise have achieved the Grand Slam, which is the only really big thing he's never achieved & has no realistic chance of achieving any more.
It seems like every time he was close, something came along to screw it up - Nadal twice, then shockingly, del Potro. Interestingly, the same has applied to Nadal and Djokovic as well - Nadal losing to Ferrer at AO 2011, and Djokovic losing to Nadal in FO 2012.

Kind of goes to show how difficult it is to win 4 in a row.
Old 07-10-2012, 04:47 PM   #1069
country flag Evitman

Evitman has a reputation beyond reputeEvitman has a reputation beyond reputeEvitman has a reputation beyond reputeEvitman has a reputation beyond reputeEvitman has a reputation beyond reputeEvitman has a reputation beyond reputeEvitman has a reputation beyond reputeEvitman has a reputation beyond reputeEvitman has a reputation beyond reputeEvitman has a reputation beyond reputeEvitman has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Who knows? If Fed had won the non-calendar Grand Slam, he would possibly have lost the motivation and fallen down in the rankings already.

Fed is great not only because of his great achievements but also for his great losses.
Evitman is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 04:53 PM   #1070
country flag Sophocles

Sophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripwires View Post
It seems like every time he was close, something came along to screw it up - Nadal twice, then shockingly, del Potro. Interestingly, the same has applied to Nadal and Djokovic as well - Nadal losing to Ferrer at AO 2011, and Djokovic losing to Nadal in FO 2012.

Kind of goes to show how difficult it is to win 4 in a row.
This is why he needs to work on building up some other numbers if he wants to challenge Laver as the GOAT.
Old 07-10-2012, 05:19 PM   #1071
country flag ServeVolley
Banned!

ServeVolley has a reputation beyond reputeServeVolley has a reputation beyond reputeServeVolley has a reputation beyond reputeServeVolley has a reputation beyond reputeServeVolley has a reputation beyond reputeServeVolley has a reputation beyond reputeServeVolley has a reputation beyond reputeServeVolley has a reputation beyond reputeServeVolley has a reputation beyond reputeServeVolley has a reputation beyond reputeServeVolley has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
This is why he needs to work on building up some other numbers if he wants to challenge Laver as the GOAT.
Rod Laver won the Grand Slam back in 1969 when the AO and USO were both played on grass. If that were the case today, Federer almost certainly would have won the Grand Slam in 2009. What do you think is a bigger accomplishment; winning three slams on three different surfaces (moderate HC, grass, fast HC) and reaching the final of the other (clay), or winning four slams on two different surfaces (grass, clay, grass, grass)?

Also, just FYI, Laver said last week that he considers Federer the GOAT...

Last edited by ServeVolley : 07-10-2012 at 05:31 PM.
ServeVolley is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 05:26 PM   #1072
country flag masterclass

masterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Pretty much agreed. Except, since he lost AO 2009, a win vs del Potro would not have given him a real GS, "just" 4 consecutive non-calendar year majors, but still significant. His chances to win a Grand Slam were foiled due to Mr. Nadal in 2006-2007, but he's done almost everything else. He is the only player in history to successfully defend 3 majors (and a final in the other) in 2007. Amazingly, if he had just won the 2005 AO vs Safin, he would have accomplished that feat 3 consecutive years (2005, 2006, 2007). I think a Grand Slam now would be only be possible if Nadal and Djokovic were both out of the way for some reason, while Federer still has something in the tank.

Respectfully,
masterclass
masterclass is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 05:31 PM   #1073
country flag Sophocles

Quote:
Originally Posted by ServeVolley View Post
Rod Laver won the Grand Slam back in 1969 when the AO and USO were both played on grass. If that were the case today, Federer almost certainly would have won the Grand Slam in 2009. What do you think is a bigger accomplishment; winning three slams on three different surfaces (moderate HC, grass, fast HC) and reaching the final of the other (clay), or winning four slams on two different surfaces (grass, clay, grass, grass)?

Conversely, had there been slams on hard courts or carpet in 1969, Laver would "almost certainly" have won those too, as he was dominating his rivals on all surfaces. What is quite certain is that Laver won the Grand Slam & Federer has not.
Old 07-10-2012, 05:36 PM   #1074
country flag ServeVolley
Banned!

ServeVolley has a reputation beyond reputeServeVolley has a reputation beyond reputeServeVolley has a reputation beyond reputeServeVolley has a reputation beyond reputeServeVolley has a reputation beyond reputeServeVolley has a reputation beyond reputeServeVolley has a reputation beyond reputeServeVolley has a reputation beyond reputeServeVolley has a reputation beyond reputeServeVolley has a reputation beyond reputeServeVolley has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Conversely, had there been slams on hard courts or carpet in 1969, Laver would "almost certainly" have won those too, as he was dominating his rivals on all surfaces. What is quite certain is that Laver won the Grand Slam & Federer has not.
Are you really going to ignore surface change? Federer is (one of) the greatest grass courters ever, and you don't think, if he'd had the advantage Laver did (three of the slams on grass), that he would have the Grand Slam too?
ServeVolley is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 05:42 PM   #1075
country flag masterclass

masterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Are you really going to ignore surface change? Federer is (one of) the greatest grass courters ever, and you don't think, if he'd had the advantage Laver did (three of the slams on grass), that he would have the Grand Slam too?
I guess Mr. Sophocles point was that it would have been moot. As he said, Laver was dominating hard courts as well in that time period. I don't think the surface change alone would have mattered, as all of them would have had the same change.

Respectfully,
masterclass
Old 07-10-2012, 05:45 PM   #1076
country flag Clay Death
Banned!

Clay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

and he did not once but twice.
Clay Death is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 05:50 PM   #1077
country flag masterclass

Quote:

Uhh, Mr. ServeVolley, you should finish the quote... he added, "...if there is such a thing". From listening to him talk in recent years, he wisely, I believe, does not believe one can compare greats of one era to another. Too many differences, variables, etc. exist to make any realistic comparisons. About all we can say that each was greatest during their time. And there are those that may dispute even that. Coincidentally, Roger Federer agrees with that.

Roger Federer just said this after winning this year's Wimbledon, in the context of being called the greatest player ever.

“I don’t feel better than anyone, because we need past champions to pave the way for our generation and we have become very professional,” he said.

“They have led the way and inspired myself and other players to chase the big records out there.
“Back in the day they weren’t doing that, they were just playing to play tennis. Things have changed dramatically with the press reminding us ‘you should do this and win that and you’ll be considered the greatest of all time’.

“And anyway I don’t think you can compare different eras in tennis.”
I have to respect him for saying that, especially when all the media hype is lauding him at the moment.

Respectfully,
masterclass

Last edited by masterclass : 07-10-2012 at 06:01 PM.
Old 07-10-2012, 05:55 PM   #1078
country flag finishingmove

finishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond repute

So, Federer has learnt the ways of humbalito.

Watch him win RG in years to come.
finishingmove is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 06:01 PM   #1079
country flag manadrainer

manadrainer has a reputation beyond reputemanadrainer has a reputation beyond reputemanadrainer has a reputation beyond reputemanadrainer has a reputation beyond reputemanadrainer has a reputation beyond reputemanadrainer has a reputation beyond reputemanadrainer has a reputation beyond reputemanadrainer has a reputation beyond reputemanadrainer has a reputation beyond reputemanadrainer has a reputation beyond reputemanadrainer has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by finishingmove View Post
So, Federer has learnt the ways of humbalito.

Watch him win RG in years to come.
Federer has always respected legends of tennis and said you can't compare eras several times. It's not the first time he makes such a statement.

Once upon a time there was a myth about strong and weak eras. On this glorious day the clownery was eventually unmasked: 30 y.o. past-prime daddy Fed became #1 once again in the supposed strong "Spartan" era with his rivals at their peak.
And they all lived happily ever after.
Long live King Federer!

17 Grand Slam titles
7 Wimbledon titles
302 weeks at #1
Legend
manadrainer is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 06:03 PM   #1080
country flag Sophocles

Quote:
Not if he kept losing to Nadal at R.G. On the other hand if he'd played Del Potro in the U.S. Open final on grass, then yes, I guess he'd have had a NCYGS.