Federer : The Mother Of All Quests : 20 Slams And 100 Titles. - Page 70 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 07-10-2012, 12:14 AM   #1036
country flag Looner

Looner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Roger Federer : The Quest For 20 Slams and 100 Titles

I don't consider grass RF's best chance. I think people forget that on top of Fed making this year's Wimbledon a huge priority, the stars somewhat aligned for him. The weather was bad and this allowed the grass to stay greener, it also allowed Rosol to kick Nadal out early in the tournament (which is the only time he loses at Wimbledon before a final).

In addition, Roger played Djokovic and Murray under the roof. He was excellent, of course, but that did help. With that being said, if the USO finds someone with a brain and switches to a Monday final or get two days between SF and F, I'd consider this RF's best chance to win another one from 2013 onwards.

The "Who plays tennis?" thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
Say what you want about Federer playing Baghdatis and Gonzo in AO finals... But at least he won them
Looner is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2012, 12:37 AM   #1037
country flag Clay Death
Banned!

Clay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond repute

negative. grass is his best surface. he says it himself.
Clay Death is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 12:45 AM   #1038
country flag Looner

Looner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond repute

Well, it may be his best surface but if it's warm, the clay warrior is quite the force to be reckoned with in an eventual final/semi. It's funny that he could have (we know it's a far cry) won RG last year and that is supposed to be his least favourite surface.

Quote:
Say what you want about Federer playing Baghdatis and Gonzo in AO finals... But at least he won them
Old 07-10-2012, 12:53 AM   #1039
country flag Mark Lenders

Mark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond repute

USO should be his best chance in the future.

Things aligned for him at Wimbledon this year: Nadal out, and especially avoided big hitters, to whom he has been very vulnerable on grass in the past few years, losing to Berdych in 2010 and Tsonga in 2011. Murray and Nole are great players, but their style of play is not the one that most troubles Fed on grass; with the reduced reflexes that come with age, he finds it more difficult to cope with guys who serve big and hit big on grass. I'm fully convinced Tsonga would have been a tougher proposition for Federer in the final than Murray was. It is not hugely surprising to me that Benneteau caused Fed more trouble here than anyone else, although he's just a top 30 player he plays the kind of game that troubles Federer on grass.

USO will be his best chance in the future, it's where he's always played his best tennis too imo.
Mark Lenders is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 01:06 AM   #1040
country flag viruzzz

viruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with most of you say, Mark, but I think Federer would win over any player this Wimbledon, the only one who I see troubling him is Rafa.
Federer was returning every damn shot in the last rounds, Tsonga (and I love Tsonga and Fed the same, so i'm totally objetive here) couldn't trouble that. Jo couldn't manage a 10+ shots rally vs this Fed, his backhand is working really well and that was the weak-point in Federer's matches vs big-hitters.
Harrison - Soderling - Wawrinka - Dimitrov - Davydenko - Russell - Andreev - Stebe - Haas - Schwank - Kuznetsov - Goffin

THE STRONGAWAGON
MTF BIOS

Want to talk tennis or random stuff? Add me to the tennis-related Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/johnny.viruz
viruzzz is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 01:07 AM   #1041
country flag Clay Death
Banned!

Clay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond repute

he is not young anymore. so are you sure he can last a 4+ hours battle on those hard courts against the likes of nole and nadal?

there is a reason why i say grass offers the best possibilities. for one thing, you just saw it with your own eyes.

secondly, its the least demanding of all slams. thirdly, his serve is far more devastating here on grass.

he can also take advantage of attacking opportunities here.

that is my position anyway. now lets hear the other positions.
Old 07-10-2012, 01:11 AM   #1042
country flag Looner

USO is quick enough (especially painted properly ) to allow Fed to smash FH winners and still use the serve. It's no grass with regard to the serve but you saw what RF's serve does on a slow HC (IW) and a relatively fast one (Dubai).

Quote:
Old 07-10-2012, 01:13 AM   #1043

Mark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by viruzzz View Post
I agree with most of you say, Mark, but I think Federer would win over any player this Wimbledon, the only one who I see troubling him is Rafa.
Federer was returning every damn shot in the last rounds, Tsonga (and I love Tsonga and Fed the same, so i'm totally objetive here) couldn't trouble that. Jo couldn't manage a 10+ shots rally vs this Fed, his backhand is working really well and that was the weak-point in Federer's matches vs big-hitters.
I agree that Federer would be the clear favorite, just think Tsonga could have caused him more problems than Murray. Murray did play well, but Tsonga serves bigger than him and hits bigger; he's Benneteau (the guy who caused Fed the most trouble here) on steroids (obviously not literally before anyone accuses me of implying Jo is doping ).

Remember Fed only had one break point the entire match when they faced at Wimbledon last year, Jo's serve on grass is far bigger and harder to return than Murray's. Of course a Slam final is different, and I'm not saying Jo would win, but I could see him and particularly his style cause Federer more trouble. And 10+ shot rallies wouldn't be an issue; you have to remember Jo has a bigger serve and groundstrokes than Murray and is far more offensive, his game is far more risky, he'd not get drawn into long rallies.
Old 07-10-2012, 01:18 AM   #1044
country flag masterclass

masterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond repute

Answer: No. If he is out there 4-5 hours against Nole or Rafa, Federer is playing their game not his.

Federer will have to take it in 3 or 4 sets in around 3 hours or less.

The US Open should be faster conditions this year from what I've heard. It's not like the Rod Laver Arena court.

Here's an outlandish (given 1.5 months, and no draw yet) prediction: Nole and Rafa do not make it past the semifinal this year. You heard it here first... Who will that leave in the Final?

Respectfully,
masterclass
masterclass is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 01:21 AM   #1045

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterclass View Post
Answer: No. If he is out there 4-5 hours against Nole or Rafa, Federer is playing their game not his.

The US Open should be faster conditions this year from what I've heard. It's not like the Rod Laver Arena court.

Here's an outlandish (given 1.5 months, and no draw yet) prediction: Nole and Rafa do not make it past the semifinal this year. You heard it here first... Who will that leave in the Final?

Respectfully,
masterclass
It's not that outlandish, especially in Nadal's case, could see him get ousted in QF or SF.

As for who that'd leave in the final, two of the other 126 players in the draw :P
Old 07-10-2012, 01:22 AM   #1046
country flag Clay Death
Banned!

why dont you tell us general since you already have all that figured out?

i can tell you one thing: either nole or the clay warrior are snatching the u.s. open.

fed`s next slam possibilities are again at wimbledon. you know he is going back to defend his title.

and i am counting any medal at the olympics as another title for fed.
Old 07-10-2012, 01:23 AM   #1047
country flag viruzzz

viruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond repute

I think we should wait until the USO-Series M1000.
Then, we should know so many things about what's gonna happen in the slam.
Harrison - Soderling - Wawrinka - Dimitrov - Davydenko - Russell - Andreev - Stebe - Haas - Schwank - Kuznetsov - Goffin

THE STRONGAWAGON
MTF BIOS

Want to talk tennis or random stuff? Add me to the tennis-related Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/johnny.viruz
viruzzz is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 01:25 AM   #1048
country flag Clay Death
Banned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterclass View Post

Respectfully,
masterclass
are you doing some wishful thinking again general?

what am i do to do with you?

u.s. open is not wimbledon. there is no grass at flushing meadows.

Old 07-10-2012, 01:25 AM   #1049
country flag masterclass

masterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Lenders View Post
It's not that outlandish, especially in Nadal's case, could see him get ousted in QF or SF.

As for who that'd leave in the final, two of the other 126 players in the draw :P
I want to say Federer and Del Potro, but it might be too much to ask for a 2009 repeat.

Respectfully,
masterclass
Old 07-10-2012, 01:27 AM   #1050
country flag masterclass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay Death View Post
are you doing some wishful thinking again general?

what am i do to do with you?

u.s. open is not wimbledon. there is no grass at flushing meadows.

No question. Back on topic - #78 to surpass John McEnroe comes at the US Open. It's written in the stars...
I just can't easily dismiss a 5 time consecutive singles champion, who's #1 in the world (for now ) over 1 time wonders.
Many people made that mistake at Wimbledon. They must have been smoking crack pipes.

Respectfully,
masterclass

Last edited by masterclass : 07-10-2012 at 01:35 AM.