Federer : The Mother Of All Quests : 20 Slams And 100 Titles. - Page 6 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 02-20-2012, 11:19 AM   #76
country flag reery

reery has a reputation beyond reputereery has a reputation beyond reputereery has a reputation beyond reputereery has a reputation beyond reputereery has a reputation beyond reputereery has a reputation beyond reputereery has a reputation beyond reputereery has a reputation beyond reputereery has a reputation beyond reputereery has a reputation beyond reputereery has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The King of 100 Titles : The Great Swiss Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2003 View Post
Hed have a fair chance, except I think the clay titles are now out of reach. Hes too old for the dirt now, Djokovic and Nadal will be realing those in.

If the grass and indoor season was longer, he may almost have been there by now.

Id give Nadal a greater chance of getting to 17 slams then Fed to 100 titles.

BUT, in saying that, I think Federer would trade 100 titles for 18 slams in a heartbeat.
18 slams for Federer is more likely than 100 titles, obviously.
reery is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2012, 12:38 PM   #77
country flag Imperfect Angel

Imperfect Angel has a reputation beyond reputeImperfect Angel has a reputation beyond reputeImperfect Angel has a reputation beyond reputeImperfect Angel has a reputation beyond reputeImperfect Angel has a reputation beyond reputeImperfect Angel has a reputation beyond reputeImperfect Angel has a reputation beyond reputeImperfect Angel has a reputation beyond reputeImperfect Angel has a reputation beyond reputeImperfect Angel has a reputation beyond reputeImperfect Angel has a reputation beyond repute

He can still win the MMs where Nadal/Djokovic doesn't play.h:
Imperfect Angel is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 01:40 PM   #78
country flag masterclass

masterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophocles View Post
Even reaching McEnroe's 77 is far from guaranteed, though more likely than not at this stage. I can't see a 40-year-old, even one with Federer's talent, competing at the highest level in the modern game, with strings & surfaces as they are, & I can't see Federer continuing on the tour without being able to compete at the highest level, so somewhere in the mid-80s is optimistic but doable. 100 - no, he won't play long enough.
I too think 100 unlikely, but not out of the realm of possibility, especially if he doesn't have to play to 40 to do it.
His overall capability to win titles depends on the level of competition against him compared to his own level.

IF the players at or above his level like Nadal and Djokovic were not to hold up for one reason or another, or decline faster than Federer, the equation changes. I think one would have to agree that the Nadal and Djokovic style of play and propensity for injury is not conducive to career longevity, especially relative to Federer.

So in a scenario where Mr. Nadal and/or Mr. Djokovic end their careers in the next 2-4 years for whatever reason or where their level drops precipitously, then Mr. Federer could outlast them and simply be the best for lack of quality competition at the top.

I think most would agree that the current crop of youngsters in the top 100 (age 19-23) are few and do not play anywhere near the level needed to challenge the top players. Of course, that may change. But if not, then I think Federer has a chance to approach 100 as long as he has the desire to keep playing. He has a family, so it will be also a family decision.

With current competition, let's generously give him 5 titles per year in the next 2 years. That's 10.
Let's say a combination of injuries and/or achievements see Mr. Nadal retire after those 2 years. That leaves Mr. Djokovic (assuming Murray can't raise his level). Due to Nadal's retirement we might up Federer to 6 titles per year for 2 years, that's now a total of 22, which is a overall total of 92 at the age of 34. If Djokovic also retires... then 100 doesn't look so far away.

But this is all conjecture. It assumes that Federer remains healthy, his level doesn't drop much more, his desire to play remains the same and that the other top players leave the scene before he does, and no younger players are good enough to reach his level. That's a lot of assumption...

Respectfully,
masterclass
masterclass is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 01:50 PM   #79
country flag ApproachShot

ApproachShot has a reputation beyond reputeApproachShot has a reputation beyond reputeApproachShot has a reputation beyond reputeApproachShot has a reputation beyond reputeApproachShot has a reputation beyond reputeApproachShot has a reputation beyond reputeApproachShot has a reputation beyond reputeApproachShot has a reputation beyond reputeApproachShot has a reputation beyond reputeApproachShot has a reputation beyond reputeApproachShot has a reputation beyond repute

I think 80 would be a huge accomplishment. My best guess would put his final figure at about 78.
Old 02-20-2012, 01:52 PM   #80
country flag Sophocles

Sophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterclass View Post
But this is all conjecture. It assumes that Federer remains healthy, his level doesn't drop much more, his desire to play remains the same and that the other top players leave the scene before he does, and no younger players are good enough to reach his level. That's a lot of assumption...
Precisely. Most great players decline precipitously in their early thirties. Agassi & Connors are the only exceptions in the Open Era - well, unless you go right back to Laver & Rosewall.
Old 02-20-2012, 01:55 PM   #81
country flag Clay Death
Banned!

Clay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2003 View Post
Hed have a fair chance, except I think the clay titles are now out of reach. Hes too old for the dirt now, Djokovic and Nadal will be realing those in.

If the grass and indoor season was longer, he may almost have been there by now.

Id give Nadal a greater chance of getting to 17 slams then Fed to 100 titles.

BUT, in saying that, I think Federer would trade 100 titles for 18 slams in a heartbeat.

excellent discussion by everybody so far.

keep up the good work.
Clay Death is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 02:05 PM   #82
country flag sexybeast

sexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond repute

I give Federer 1/200 to go after Connors record.
Old 02-20-2012, 02:35 PM   #83
country flag Clay Death
Banned!

Clay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond repute

what is the record for connors sexybeast? also how many singles titles did lendl snatch?

i know johnnny mac has 77 singles and 77 doubles. that is a true immortal for you right there as far as tennis ic concerned.
Old 02-20-2012, 02:45 PM   #84
country flag hiperborejac

hiperborejac has a reputation beyond reputehiperborejac has a reputation beyond reputehiperborejac has a reputation beyond reputehiperborejac has a reputation beyond reputehiperborejac has a reputation beyond reputehiperborejac has a reputation beyond reputehiperborejac has a reputation beyond reputehiperborejac has a reputation beyond reputehiperborejac has a reputation beyond reputehiperborejac has a reputation beyond reputehiperborejac has a reputation beyond repute

Fed is still thinking about slams and other big tournaments. At this pace of winning titles (4-5 by year) he'll need to play for next 8-9 year (till his 40) but I highly doubt he'll be able to keep his current level of play longer then 2-3 years. These smaller tournaments he's playing serves him only to regain trust and bust confidence in his own game. So he'll play 2-3 small tournaments for next 2-3 years (250 and 500s) and focus on big ones. Anyway that doesn't mean that he'll win every one of them. I give him 3-4 titles in next 3 years, after that we'll be lucky to see him win 2 titles per year till his end of career which give us 85-90 titles if he's to play till 40.
hiperborejac is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 03:10 PM   #85
country flag masterclass

masterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophocles View Post
Precisely. Most great players decline precipitously in their early thirties. Agassi & Connors are the only exceptions in the Open Era - well, unless you go right back to Laver & Rosewall.
So what's the common link to play declining gracefully or little, and not precipitously?

I think the players who generally lasted longest are recognized as having outstanding footwork and desire to keep competing, along with the ability to stay relatively healthy.

Arthur Ashe rated Ken Rosewall and Richard "Pancho" Gonzales as having the best footwork in his day.
Ken Rosewall won his last title at the age of 43 in 1977. 3 weeks earlier he lost in the finals of the Sydney Indoors to Jimmy Connors.

Richard Gonzales: Tony Trabert, who disliked Gonzales intensely, still had this to say about him: "Gonzales is the greatest natural athlete tennis has ever known. The way he can move that 6-foot-2-inch frame of his around the court is almost unbelievable. He's just like a big cat...". Gonzales won his last title 3 months short of 44 years old in 1972.

Jimmy Connors' footwork and setup preparation are one of the greatest all time.
He won his last two tournaments at the age of 37, and went to the semifinal in the US Open at age 39.

Bjorn Borg Borg had outstanding footwork and speed and was one of the smoothest players ever to run on the court. But he didn't have the desire to continue playing beyond the age of 26. I include him here as perhaps the best example of someone with superb footwork and athletic ability who did not have longevity due to lack of desire to compete further. One needs both.

Andre Agassi Great footwork and preparation (similar to Connors), even though he didn't have the best speed. Won his last slam about 3 months short of his 33rd birthday (record still stands) and won his last tournament at age 35.

*Roger Federer is acknowledged as having one of the finest, most graceful (most efficient with little effort) footwork ever.
In my opinion, he is most similar to Mr. Gonzales in that respect.
Approaching age 31, after winning Rotterdam 2012, he stated he has the desire to compete several more years.

*Still active

Respectfully,
masterclass
Old 02-20-2012, 03:18 PM   #86
country flag Clay Death
Banned!

excellent post masterclass.

there is no doubt in my mind that Fed will still be playing and competing for the next 7 years. and as i have suggested, he has the kind of efficient game and this amazing ability to manage his fitness and his health that he may even play until he is 40.

again, people are not taking this one little fact into account:

nothing stands still. he will make changes in his game and he will compensate for the older age and diminished movement.

i am not saying he is winning slams but if he loves tennis like he does then he can stay in the top 10 and keep snatching small titles for as long as he is driven to do so. he has the ability.
Old 02-20-2012, 04:01 PM   #87
country flag Smiling Buddha

Smiling Buddha has a reputation beyond reputeSmiling Buddha has a reputation beyond reputeSmiling Buddha has a reputation beyond reputeSmiling Buddha has a reputation beyond reputeSmiling Buddha has a reputation beyond reputeSmiling Buddha has a reputation beyond reputeSmiling Buddha has a reputation beyond reputeSmiling Buddha has a reputation beyond reputeSmiling Buddha has a reputation beyond reputeSmiling Buddha has a reputation beyond reputeSmiling Buddha has a reputation beyond repute

He will win a hundred titles in 2012 alone.
Smiling Buddha is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 04:13 PM   #88
country flag masterclass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay Death View Post
excellent post masterclass.

there is no doubt in my mind that Fed will still be playing and competing for the next 7 years. and as i have suggested, he has the kind of efficient game and this amazing ability to manage his fitness and his health that he may even play until he is 40.

again, people are not taking this one little fact into account:

nothing stands still. he will make changes in his game and he will compensate for the older age and diminished movement.

i am not saying he is winning slams but if he loves tennis like he does then he can stay in the top 10 and keep snatching small titles for as long as he is driven to do so. he has the ability.
Thanks CD.

The problem is that nobody, not even Mr. Federer, knows how long he is going to play. He says he desires to play 3, 5-6 years, or maybe come back to Rotterdam in 7 years again to defend his 2012 title . I have no doubt that he will do what it takes to continue playing as long as he wants. He definitely still enjoys the game and its challenges, but he's a family man. Too many things can happen. For example, his back could start hurting him to a point where he doesn't want to continue like so many other greats (Lendl, Sampras, etc.) Since Doha, he still doesn't look like he is putting 100% on his serve. We just don't know.

Respectfully,
masterclass
Old 02-20-2012, 04:18 PM   #89
country flag Clay Death
Banned!

affirmative masterclass.
Old 02-20-2012, 04:19 PM   #90
country flag romismak

romismak has a reputation beyond reputeromismak has a reputation beyond reputeromismak has a reputation beyond reputeromismak has a reputation beyond reputeromismak has a reputation beyond reputeromismak has a reputation beyond reputeromismak has a reputation beyond reputeromismak has a reputation beyond reputeromismak has a reputation beyond reputeromismak has a reputation beyond reputeromismak has a reputation beyond repute

I hope this thread was meant as joke, because there is no way Roger will make it to 100. The way things are in tennis world right now he will be lucky to get to 80. He is not kind of player that will suddenly play 250 events like Almagro just to get title, his chances are pretty limited to indoors or medium big events- 500, he most likely won´t win more than 1 slam more and also on Masters it is pretty difficult, he isn´t going to win any clay Masters for sure and on outdoor HC best of 3 anyone on good day can beat him, simply best of 3 is better for upsets. I can´t see him winning more than 2 Masters 1000 per year- even that is maybe too much, also who knows how long he will be top 10 i think 2 years, than age must get to him. His biggest chances in future will be indoors and grass, while Wimbledon is best of 5 and everyone will play their maximum there, it won´t be easy, so he should win at least 2 Halle´s if he will take it seriously. He can win some indoors like BAsel 2x, maybe Paris- WTF if is in good form and that´s it i can´t see him getting above 80...
romismak is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote