Federer : The Mother Of All Quests : 20 Slams And 100 Titles. - Page 53 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 05-22-2012, 05:22 AM   #781
country flag Clay Death
Banned!

Clay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Roger Federer : The Swiss King's Quest For 100 Titles

well who was going to believe that he was going to capture dubai, indian wells, and madrid but he did.

i think his best work may be coming on grass. we will just have to wait and see.
Clay Death is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2012, 05:40 AM   #782
country flag Clay Death
Banned!

Clay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond repute

affirmative general MTwEeZi.

no telling what is going to happen in paris but he has to game to do some major damage on grass.

i am quite impressed with what i have seen. he is playing better than last year.

just throw out the rome semi. that was an outlier/aberration. he was a little fatigued from having played 10 of his last matches late at night.

quarterfinal or a semifinal loss if it happens at RG does not hurt him. as you have suggested, if anything it is 2 days of extra rest for the grass courts assault.
Old 05-22-2012, 07:30 AM   #783
country flag WhoCares

WhoCares has a reputation beyond reputeWhoCares has a reputation beyond reputeWhoCares has a reputation beyond reputeWhoCares has a reputation beyond reputeWhoCares has a reputation beyond reputeWhoCares has a reputation beyond reputeWhoCares has a reputation beyond reputeWhoCares has a reputation beyond reputeWhoCares has a reputation beyond reputeWhoCares has a reputation beyond reputeWhoCares has a reputation beyond repute

True, he might lose the finalist points at RG but a couple of days rest will enhance his chances in grass.
WhoCares is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 07:47 AM   #784
country flag Mimi

Mimi has a reputation beyond reputeMimi has a reputation beyond reputeMimi has a reputation beyond reputeMimi has a reputation beyond reputeMimi has a reputation beyond reputeMimi has a reputation beyond reputeMimi has a reputation beyond reputeMimi has a reputation beyond reputeMimi has a reputation beyond reputeMimi has a reputation beyond reputeMimi has a reputation beyond repute

he still has 1-2 slams left with him i believe, but i think 100 titles is too much, 90 may be

Epic movies, like brokeback mountain, are seldom found in the industry or worthy for the mainstream viewer. As often as I have watched the clips of this movie, I always find something more to it. For one, the gay stuff doesn't enter the picture for me, only the dimension of the highest love I have ever witnessed in life or on film.
Mimi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 12:13 PM   #785
country flag Looner

Looner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTwEeZi View Post
It would actually be convenient for Federer if he makes an early exit at Roland Garros. Last year he had 2 physical and emotional battles with Nadal and Djokovic only to have his hopes crushed yet again. He is getting older now and it seemed to me that he didn't have the spring in his step he needed to close out Tsonga at Wimbledon.

Better to lose early, suffer less mentally and physically, and push for Wimbledon and the Olympics.
Wow, a sane post from you. Really appreciate it. As for an early exit, a SF loss against RN would not be bad in my book. I don't think Djokovic is going to beat RN in the final so might as well focus on grass but collect as many points in his quest for #1.

The "Who plays tennis?" thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
Say what you want about Federer playing Baghdatis and Gonzo in AO finals... But at least he won them
Looner is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 12:25 PM   #786
country flag masterclass

masterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond repute

I think as long as he is healthy, and still loves the game as he does now, and doesn't have family issues, and is still making the effort to play well at the top as he obviously is now, I don't see any reason why he can't play 4 or 5 more years as he said, and still be near the top.

As of now, I don't see players coming up that can threaten him, perhaps Raonic. I think Mr. Nadal is likely to retire within 2 or 3 years. Djokovic might still be playing and Murray.

This year, he is as fit and committed as ever. He's rolled back the years, capturing the most titles (4, including 2 Masters 1000) before Roland Garros since 2006, and in many key parts of his game he is amazingly producing better tennis than in 2006 (His service is at its best, his backhand improved). He is not quite as good on his return game and he is not working for break opportunities as much, as it seems in 2012 he has opted to improve and hold his service (93% prior to rome) games, more than put in the effort to break (2006 avg. 9/match , 2012 avg. 7/match).

To back up his superb start in terms of a great year, I think he needs to win at least 1 major, and possibly 2. (Wimbledon + US Open). If he keeps playing as he has, it's certainly possible. But winning a major is not easy, the draw can be a factor, and upsets can happen if a player gets hot (ala Tsonga). Even if he doesn't win a major, and can win 3 or 4 other titles, it will still be a very good year, as he turns 31.

According to his schedule, here is how I optimistically see (from his point of view) the rest of the year at this time, assuming his level is about the same as it has been:
Legend: High Probability, Possible, Small Chance Almost No Chance

CLAY: 05/28 - 06/10 (0 Titles)
Roland Garros - Semifinal or Final (a win would surprise me)

GRASS: 06/11 - 08/05: (2 Titles)
Halle - (should be his 75th title if he plays - a tough Roland Garros to the final might cause him to skip Halle)

Wimbledon Championships
Olympics at Wimbledon -
I think a reasonable estimate is he can win 1 of these 2 at Wimbledon, and it depends on the draw. If he can get a top server that is not too high in the rankings early (like Karlovic or Raonic) and beat them, he has a great chance to win. In the years he has not done well at Wimbledon, he didn't face a top server until later in the tournament where they were higher ranked, and was beaten (Berdych, Tsonga).
76th title from one of these at Wimbledon.

HARD (OUTDOOR) 08/06 - 10/14: (2 Titles)
Rogers Cup - Canada, Toronto - If he goes deep at the Olympics (win/final) he may choose to skip Toronto. But if he doesn't skip, he has won this tournament in Toronto twice (2004, 2006) and lost to Andy Murray in the 2010 Final. So, I won't forecast this as a title for him because he may not play, but if he does, it's certainly possible.

Western & Southern - Cincinnati - He's a 4 time winner of this event (2005, 2007, 2009, 2010).
I'll predict he takes his 77th title at one of the above 2 hard court events - probably in Cincinnati.

US Open - If the court plays faster than last year, I think Mr. Federer will reverse the result of the past 2 years and has a great chance of winning. But some depends on the draw, some depends on luck, and it's a bit far out to know how the top contenders are playing at that time. But this is based on how they are playing recently. I'll go out on a limb and give him his 78th title here, but it's clearly not in the bag.

Shanghai - He's only played once here in 2010, beating Djokovic in the semis, but losing to Murray in the Final. If he plays, he has a good chance, but he may play in the Davis Cup Group Playoffs, and he may choose to take time off before the Indoor Season similar to last year.

HARD (INDOORS) 10/22 - 11/12: (1 Title)
Swiss Indoors Basel - Has to be the heavy favorite to take his home tournament for the 6th time. 79th Title can come here.

BNP Paribas Masters - Paris-Bercy - Federer may choose to skip this or strategically exit as the questionable scheduling has this event finishing just as the World Tour Finals begin.

World Tour Finals - London - He's won the event a record 6 times, not much more to prove, but he might outlast the others because of his good scheduling. It would cap off a tremendous season to win his 3rd straight and 7th WTF, and 10th title of the year for his 80th Title of his career here, but I think for some reason he won't. He's won all of his titles here in pairs. 2010-11, 2006-7, 2003-4. But it could happen.

So overall, as of now, I think he could reasonably take up to 5 more titles giving him 9 titles for the year, but depending how well he does in some of the bigger tournaments (like Roland Garros, Wimbledon, Olympics, US Open), he may skip one or two that I've pegged him to take. For example, Halle could be skipped. Also, the US Open is no lock for a win. So I could see him with 7 titles for the year giving him 77 career titles, and maybe a maximum of 10 (if he takes the WTF), giving him 80 career titles. Not too shabby for a 31 year old man. And if he gets close to 80 this year, he himself has given himself 4-5 years more to play, meaning he would have to average 4-5 titles/year to reach 100. Those don't have to be majors. I think all depends on how much he is still enjoying playing and if he can remain competitive among the top 5 players.

Respectfully,
masterclass
masterclass is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 12:46 PM   #787
country flag Federer in 2

Federer in 2 has a reputation beyond reputeFederer in 2 has a reputation beyond reputeFederer in 2 has a reputation beyond reputeFederer in 2 has a reputation beyond reputeFederer in 2 has a reputation beyond reputeFederer in 2 has a reputation beyond reputeFederer in 2 has a reputation beyond reputeFederer in 2 has a reputation beyond reputeFederer in 2 has a reputation beyond reputeFederer in 2 has a reputation beyond reputeFederer in 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterclass View Post
I think as long as he is healthy, and still loves the game as he does now, and doesn't have family issues, and is still making the effort to play well at the top as he obviously is now, I don't see any reason why he can't play 4 or 5 more years as he said, and still be near the top.

As of now, I don't see players coming up that can threaten him, perhaps Raonic. I think Mr. Nadal is likely to retire within 2 or 3 years. Djokovic might still be playing and Murray.

This year, he is as fit and committed as ever. He's rolled back the years, capturing the most titles (4, including 2 Masters 1000) before Roland Garros since 2006, and in many key parts of his game he is amazingly producing better tennis than in 2006 (His service is at its best, his backhand improved). He is not quite as good on his return game and he is not working for break opportunities as much, as it seems in 2012 he has opted to improve and hold his service (93% prior to rome) games, more than put in the effort to break (2006 avg. 9/match , 2012 avg. 7/match).

To back up his superb start in terms of a great year, I think he needs to win at least 1 major, and possibly 2. (Wimbledon + US Open). If he keeps playing as he has, it's certainly possible. But winning a major is not easy, the draw can be a factor, and upsets can happen if a player gets hot (ala Tsonga). Even if he doesn't win a major, and can win 3 or 4 other titles, it will still be a very good year, as he turns 31.

According to his schedule, here is how I optimistically see (from his point of view) the rest of the year at this time, assuming his level is about the same as it has been:
Legend: High Probability, Possible, Small Chance Almost No Chance

CLAY: 05/28 - 06/10 (0 Titles)
Roland Garros - Semifinal or Final (a win would surprise me)

GRASS: 06/11 - 08/05: (2 Titles)
Halle - (should be his 75th title if he plays - a tough Roland Garros to the final might cause him to skip Halle)

Wimbledon Championships
Olympics at Wimbledon -
I think a reasonable estimate is he can win 1 of these 2 at Wimbledon, and it depends on the draw. If he can get a top server that is not too high in the rankings early (like Karlovic or Raonic) and beat them, he has a great chance to win. In the years he has not done well at Wimbledon, he didn't face a top server until later in the tournament where they were higher ranked, and was beaten (Berdych, Tsonga).
76th title from one of these at Wimbledon.

HARD (OUTDOOR) 08/06 - 10/14: (2 Titles)
Rogers Cup - Canada, Toronto - If he goes deep at the Olympics (win/final) he may choose to skip Toronto. But if he doesn't skip, he has won this tournament in Toronto twice (2004, 2006) and lost to Andy Murray in the 2010 Final. So, I won't forecast this as a title for him because he may not play, but if he does, it's certainly possible.

Western & Southern - Cincinnati - He's a 4 time winner of this event (2005, 2007, 2009, 2010).
I'll predict he takes his 77th title at one of the above 2 hard court events - probably in Cincinnati.

US Open - If the court plays faster than last year, I think Mr. Federer will reverse the result of the past 2 years and has a great chance of winning. But some depends on the draw, some depends on luck, and it's a bit far out to know how the top contenders are playing at that time. But this is based on how they are playing recently. I'll go out on a limb and give him his 78th title here, but it's clearly not in the bag.

Shanghai - He's only played once here in 2010, beating Djokovic in the semis, but losing to Murray in the Final. If he plays, he has a good chance, but he may play in the Davis Cup Group Playoffs, and he may choose to take time off before the Indoor Season similar to last year.

HARD (INDOORS) 10/22 - 11/12: (1 Title)
Swiss Indoors Basel - Has to be the heavy favorite to take his home tournament for the 6th time. 79th Title can come here.

BNP Paribas Masters - Paris-Bercy - Federer may choose to skip this or strategically exit as the questionable scheduling has this event finishing just as the World Tour Finals begin.

World Tour Finals - London - He's won the event a record 6 times, not much more to prove, but he might outlast the others because of his good scheduling. It would cap off a tremendous season to win his 3rd straight and 7th WTF, and 10th title of the year for his 80th Title of his career here, but I think for some reason he won't. He's won all of his titles here in pairs. 2010-11, 2006-7, 2003-4. But it could happen.

So overall, as of now, I think he could reasonably take up to 5 more titles giving him 9 titles for the year, but depending how well he does in some of the bigger tournaments (like Roland Garros, Wimbledon, Olympics, US Open), he may skip one or two that I've pegged him to take. For example, Halle could be skipped. Also, the US Open is no lock for a win. So I could see him with 7 titles for the year giving him 77 career titles, and maybe a maximum of 10 (if he takes the WTF), giving him 80 career titles. Not too shabby for a 31 year old man. And if he gets close to 80 this year, he himself has given himself 4-5 years more to play, meaning he would have to average 4-5 titles/year to reach 100. Those don't have to be majors. I think all depends on how much he is still enjoying playing and if he can remain competitive among the top 5 players.

Respectfully,
masterclass
Good post masterclass. I feel that you are also a Federer fan, and your prediction seems to be pretty realistic (maybe slightly optimistic like you said ).

I think his chances of winning RG are minimal now that he is #3 seed. although they would get much much bigger should Nadal lose early.
IMO Halle can be very important for Federer this year. Not in terms of ranking, but mentally it will give a general idea of who is favorite for the heavy grass events. I don't consider Djokovic to be a massive threat on grass, but a loss to Nadal in Halle wouldn't feel good. Despite that, I predict a final of Federer against a non top 3 player (Tsonga/Berdych if they play).
More than that it's hard for me to say. Time will tell.

Regardless, I really enkoy your posts. keep it up

ROGER FEDERER

'Roger Federer is the best ever' - Everyone else other than John McEnroe

4 AO - 1 RG - 7 W - 5 USO

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadalfan2013 View Post
Standing ovation for Nadal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nadalfan2013 View Post
Standing ovation for Federer. Disgusting.
#NoBiasTho
Federer in 2 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 01:56 PM   #788
country flag masterclass

masterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bashkatik View Post
Good post masterclass. I feel that you are also a Federer fan, and your prediction seems to be pretty realistic (maybe slightly optimistic like you said ).

I think his chances of winning RG are minimal now that he is #3 seed. although they would get much much bigger should Nadal lose early.
IMO Halle can be very important for Federer this year. Not in terms of ranking, but mentally it will give a general idea of who is favorite for the heavy grass events. I don't consider Djokovic to be a massive threat on grass, but a loss to Nadal in Halle wouldn't feel good. Despite that, I predict a final of Federer against a non top 3 player (Tsonga/Berdych if they play).
More than that it's hard for me to say. Time will tell.

Regardless, I really enkoy your posts. keep it up
Thanks for the kind words Bashkatik.
But really, I'm not a fan of any one player, but a fan of great tennis. Mr. Federer is still capable of producing great tennis, so he is often a subject in my posts. But the other players, Nadal, Djokovic, and all the others who can also play great tennis, are also are subjects of my posts. This thread is focused on Federer, and his ability to win titles. I tend to be an optimistic or idealistic (as some people have describe me here) person, so I give the optimistic view first..but I still think fairly reasonable.

I agree that for Federer, at this stage in his career, Halle may be more important than going deep at Roland Garros in terms of previewing and preparing for the epic grass events that include the Olympics this year.

Sadly, we can hardly call 3 grass events with no masters a season. Off topic in this thread, but I would prefer if at least 2 grass events were added and 2 hard court events were removed/altered. My prefererence?

The Clay season starts in South America in February moving into Central America and then leaving the America's with the US Mens Clay Court Championship in Houston. The clay season then would continue in Europe as now with Monte-Carlo up to Roland Garros ending in early May.

Then the grass season could start. Convert Indian Wells and Miami from slow hard courts to grass courts. Those Masters tournaments could either be placed at the start of the grass season or after Wimbledon. Weather may influence that decision, as it might be too hot in the early summer in Miami and Indian Wells. Then start the outdoor hard court season. This gives us a more natural progression and a longer and more meaningful grass season (2 grass masters) without actually removing any tournaments, not to mention make it easier on the player's joints getting off the slow hard courts.

And by the way, I think IW and Miami have the money to convert to grass. And it would be an exciting change for American tennis. If Mr. Tiriac can change Madrid to blue clay, Mr. Ellison can change IW to green grass.

Respectfully,
masterclass

Last edited by masterclass : 05-22-2012 at 02:10 PM.
masterclass is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 02:36 PM   #789
country flag TigerTim

TigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond repute

Federer can sweep the post Olympic season (USO excepted) as long as like last time Djokovic is tired. Murray will be his biggest rival there. Olympics, Halle, Cincinnati, WTF and Basel are all distinct possibilities imo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SliceAce View Post
As for Mugray, what can be said? A disgusting human being, and awful player, and a choking pushing mug. He looks like a kemo patient, bald spots, hairless legs, pasty blotchy skin, busted teeth, and an ugly, snarling face. Typical antics all came out in this match: faking injuries, grimacing and cursing, trying to peg Fed, trying to start drama, undeserved final based on an exhausted old man and a joke draw.

I'm no Fakervic fan but he needs to save tennis, sadly tree trunk legs will be fresh. Interesting he's never questioned...
TigerTim is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 03:07 PM   #790
country flag Clay Death
Banned!

excellent post general masterclass.
Old 05-28-2012, 02:38 PM   #791
country flag Looner

Looner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond repute

RF has just said the next record he'd like to own is the 109 titles of Jimmy Connors .

Quote:
Say what you want about Federer playing Baghdatis and Gonzo in AO finals... But at least he won them
Old 05-28-2012, 02:43 PM   #792
country flag viruzzz

viruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry Rog. You're my favorite player ever but...

No.

I mean, never losing hope but...
Harrison - Soderling - Wawrinka - Dimitrov - Davydenko - Russell - Andreev - Stebe - Haas - Schwank - Kuznetsov - Goffin

THE STRONGAWAGON
MTF BIOS

Want to talk tennis or random stuff? Add me to the tennis-related Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/johnny.viruz
viruzzz is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 02:44 PM   #793
country flag ServeVolley
Banned!

ServeVolley has a reputation beyond reputeServeVolley has a reputation beyond reputeServeVolley has a reputation beyond reputeServeVolley has a reputation beyond reputeServeVolley has a reputation beyond reputeServeVolley has a reputation beyond reputeServeVolley has a reputation beyond reputeServeVolley has a reputation beyond reputeServeVolley has a reputation beyond reputeServeVolley has a reputation beyond reputeServeVolley has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looner View Post
RF has just said the next record he'd like to own is the 109 titles of Jimmy Connors .
Sounds like Clay Death needs to change the name of the thread again then.
ServeVolley is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 02:46 PM   #794
country flag abraxas21

abraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond repute

fedmug doesn't need to go for another runner up plate given by pocahontas, imo.

then again, the potential match v. djokovic in the semis already seems like a tough battle. wouldn't mind to see him losing there.
Old 05-28-2012, 02:48 PM   #795
country flag Looner

Well, I think the question that was asked was which of Connors's records he'd like to break next. There aren't many left so that's why this was his answer. I am not sure exactly what the question was. I also doesn't mean he'll do it but he'd like to do it.

Quote: