Federer : The Mother Of All Quests : 20 Slams And 100 Titles. - Page 28 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 03-26-2012, 03:09 PM   #406
country flag masterclass

masterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Roger Federer : The Swiss Warrior King's Quest For 100 Titles

Agreed, the blue clay was definitely a diversion from the topic on hand.

Title #74 just got more difficult with the early loss of John Isner.
Isner is one of the few players who can give both Djokovic and Nadal trouble with his big serve and he can deal with the high topspin of Nadal. But Mr. Federer can't depend on Isner to do the work this time, and that will make it more difficult for Federer should he reach the semifinals as expected. Then he would likely have to defeat both Djokovic and Nadal, should they both make it that far, and it would be a difficult task in the conditions here.

Nadal is in the driver's seat now in Miami, if he doesn't waste effort on doubles.
I think Federer would have to beat Djokovic easily to have a chance of beating Nadal the next day, and it's difficult to see that happening. In any case, title #73 was unexpected at the start of IW, so Federer is already ahead of title projections for the year. If title #74 doesn't come at Miami, it might come in Madrid, or in Halle. Nadal would have to exit early at Roland Garros like in 2009 for Federer to have a good chance there.

Respectfully,
masterclass
masterclass is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2012, 03:33 PM   #407
country flag Clay Death
Banned!

Clay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond repute

it is yes and no general masterclass:

#74 is near and far but with conditions. only way nadal has a chance to get his hands on fed is if he lands in the final. he is still playing shit tennis. he can thank his doubles activity and his golf for that. if your singles game is shit---and it is--- and you still wont bother focusing on singles and working hard to improve then you are not here to win a title.

you are here to see if you can get lucky. it is going to be a difficult assignment to deal with murray in the semis. and i dont believe he can beat nole on hard courts.

i believe fed will be in the final.
Clay Death is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 03:52 PM   #408
country flag FedvsNole

FedvsNole has a reputation beyond reputeFedvsNole has a reputation beyond reputeFedvsNole has a reputation beyond reputeFedvsNole has a reputation beyond reputeFedvsNole has a reputation beyond reputeFedvsNole has a reputation beyond reputeFedvsNole has a reputation beyond reputeFedvsNole has a reputation beyond reputeFedvsNole has a reputation beyond reputeFedvsNole has a reputation beyond reputeFedvsNole has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterclass View Post
Agreed, the blue clay was definitely a diversion from the topic on hand.

Title #74 just got more difficult with the early loss of John Isner.
Isner is one of the few players who can give both Djokovic and Nadal trouble with his big serve and he can deal with the high topspin of Nadal. But Mr. Federer can't depend on Isner to do the work this time, and that will make it more difficult for Federer should he reach the semifinals as expected. Then he would likely have to defeat both Djokovic and Nadal, should they both make it that far, and it would be a difficult task in the conditions here.

Nadal is in the driver's seat now in Miami, if he doesn't waste effort on doubles.
I think Federer would have to beat Djokovic easily to have a chance of beating Nadal the next day, and it's difficult to see that happening. In any case, title #73 was unexpected at the start of IW, so Federer is already ahead of title projections for the year. If title #74 doesn't come at Miami, it might come in Madrid, or in Halle. Nadal would have to exit early at Roland Garros like in 2009 for Federer to have a good chance there.

Respectfully,
masterclass

Unlike indian wells, they actually give you a day off in miami. Everyone plays their semis on friday with a fed-nole semis being the 7pm match. The final is then sunday at 1pm.
FedvsNole is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 04:19 PM   #409
country flag tripwires

tripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond repute

I thought Fed's gonna win #74 in Miami. Now he's just gonna be in the final?
Old 03-26-2012, 04:30 PM   #410
country flag Clay Death
Banned!

Clay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond repute

#74 is near and far at the same time. stay tuned.

we will explain.
Old 03-26-2012, 04:50 PM   #411
country flag FedvsNole

FedvsNole has a reputation beyond reputeFedvsNole has a reputation beyond reputeFedvsNole has a reputation beyond reputeFedvsNole has a reputation beyond reputeFedvsNole has a reputation beyond reputeFedvsNole has a reputation beyond reputeFedvsNole has a reputation beyond reputeFedvsNole has a reputation beyond reputeFedvsNole has a reputation beyond reputeFedvsNole has a reputation beyond reputeFedvsNole has a reputation beyond repute

Federer is getting to the semis at most. He will run into nole and they will play at night in super humid conditions where it is even harder to hit the ball through the court.

Fed has yet to beat nole in this run that started post us open. Let's see how he handles playing him since the us open.

Before people start picking him he needs to show he can beat nole first which he hasn't done since last year's french open.
That's why im making nole the favorite. Even if he somehow manages to get through nole, and nadal is in the final. I can't pick against nadal on a court like this irregardless of what happened in indian wells. If nole loses to del potro and tsonga knocks out nadal federe's chances improve but lets not forget about murray on this slow court.

Semis: Djokovic def federer
Nadal def murray

Finals: Nole def Nadal in straight sets.
Old 03-26-2012, 04:51 PM   #412
country flag Saberq

Saberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripwires View Post
I thought Fed's gonna win #74 in Miami. Now he's just gonna be in the final?
Nadal will be in the final so Fed even if he get's there will lose
Saberq is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 04:52 PM   #413
country flag Corey Feldman
Banned!

Corey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond repute

Tiger won his #72nd yesterday while Fed sits on #73

who will get to 100 titles first oh great generalito
Corey Feldman is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 05:49 PM   #414
country flag masterclass

masterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by FedvsNole View Post
Federer is getting to the semis at most. He will run into nole and they will play at night in super humid conditions where it is even harder to hit the ball through the court.

Fed has yet to beat nole in this run that started post us open. Let's see how he handles playing him since the us open.

Before people start picking him he needs to show he can beat nole first which he hasn't done since last year's french open.
That's why im making nole the favorite. Even if he somehow manages to get through nole, and nadal is in the final. I can't pick against nadal on a court like this irregardless of what happened in indian wells. If nole loses to del potro and tsonga knocks out nadal federe's chances improve but lets not forget about murray on this slow court.

Semis: Djokovic def federer
Nadal def murray

Finals: Nole def Nadal in straight sets.
Hmm Mr. FedVsNole, isn't it a bit misleading saying Federer hasn't beaten Nole since the US Open? I could also say Djokovic hasn't beaten Federer since the US Open.

Since the US Open, they've played in 6 of the same tournaments, where Djokovic has won 1 (Australian Open) and Federer has won 5 (Basel, Paris-Bercy, WTF, Dubai, Indian Wells). It's certainly not Federer's fault that Djokovic was unable to go far enough to face him in those tournaments, for whatever reason. Federer did directly beat players that beat Djokovic and did better to get to the final and win those tournaments. Djokovic did better in the Australian Open and beat the player that beat Federer to win that tournament.

I think it's better to judge each tournament on its own merit with the recent past performances, current conditions, form, etc. in mind. How much one weighs each factor is up to the individual. If you feel that Federer doesn't have enough confidence against Djokovic because he hasn't faced him and beaten him since Roland Garros, then of course, you have the right to your opinion, which may or may not be correct.
Each tournament plays differently, so circumstances at a particular tourney can favor one player over another.

Anyway, time will tell. #74 is at stake for now

Respectfully,
masterclass
Old 03-26-2012, 05:50 PM   #415
country flag Saberq

Saberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Hmm Mr. FedVsNole, isn't it a bit misleading saying Federer hasn't beaten Nole since the US Open? I could also say Djokovic hasn't beaten Federer since the US Open.

Since the US Open, they've played in 6 of the same tournaments, where Djokovic has won 1 (Australian Open) and Federer has won 5 (Basel, Paris-Bercy, WTF, Dubai, Indian Wells). It's certainly not Federer's fault that Djokovic was unable to go far enough to face him in those tournaments, for whatever reason. Federer did directly beat players that beat Djokovic and did better to get to the final and win those tournaments. Djokovic did better in the Australian Open and beat the player that beat Federer to win that tournament.

I think it's better to judge each tournament on its own merit with the recent past performances, current conditions, form, etc. in mind. How much one weighs each factor is up to the individual. If you feel that Federer doesn't have enough confidence against Djokovic because he hasn't faced him and beaten him since Roland Garros, then of course, you have the right to your opinion, which may or may not be correct.
Each tournament plays differently, so circumstances at a particular tourney can favor one player over another.

Anyway, time will tell.

Respectfully,
masterclass
I am sure Fed would trade places.........
Saberq is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 06:08 PM   #416
country flag Clay Death
Banned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey Feldman View Post
Tiger won his #72nd yesterday while Fed sits on #73

who will get to 100 titles first oh great generalito

fed of course highlander.
Old 03-26-2012, 06:19 PM   #417
country flag FedvsNole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saberq View Post

Dunno know. I think fed would rather have the weeks at number 1 record than another australian open because it will enable him more chances at the others slams.

Your comparing 5000 points vs 2000 points. I understand its a slam and thats what the record books remember and all and under normal situations im sure he'd trade it. But long term (meaning through the rest of this year), the 5000 points he's gotten from the 6 titles will likely lead him to the number 2 rank; He'll have a much better chance at the remaining slams with at least the possibility of not having to face both nole and rafa at Roland garros, wimbledon, olympics, and us open. If there drawn even once in any of those tournaments, it's likely fed will have to face nole provided fed himself makes it there which increases immensely if he doesn't have either of them to face off in a semi. Then if fed is in a final of any of those and is facing nole he won't have any mental block or left handed top spin to bother him as much. Likely nole will be a bit tired especially if the us open doesn't change super saturday until 2013 and nole-rafa play in the later match on saturday and kill each other.

I still dont think rafa-nole will get drawn together based on what happend in australia but at least its more of a possiblity than it is now. Oh well. Let nole destroy nadal a few more times and hopefully the "allure" of this matchup will finally die. Thats the only way nadal ends up in nole half.
Old 03-26-2012, 06:20 PM   #418
country flag masterclass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saberq View Post
I hope you are joking Mr Saberq...

If you are not, why in the world would he even think about trading them? The Aussie Open was worth 2000 points to the winner. What's that, a net gain of 1280 points for Federer and his what, 5th AO, and 17th total?

Instead, for those 5 wins, he defended 2 (WTF and Basel) titles worth 2000 points and gained 1480 points in the other 3.

So, I very much doubt Federer would trade those 5 wins for yet another major. But sure, ask him...

Now, the Aussie Open might have been worth more to Djokovic, bringing him to 3 there and a total of 5 majors overall, but again, you'd have to ask him...

Also as it pertains to this topic. 5 titles definitely gets him closer to 100 than 1.

Respectfully,
masterclass
Old 03-26-2012, 06:27 PM   #419
country flag Singularity

Singularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I hope you are joking Mr Saberq...

If you are not, why in the world would he even think about trading them? The Aussie Open was worth 2000 points to the winner. What's that, a net gain of 1280 points for Federer and his what, 5th AO, and 17th total?

Instead, for those 5 wins, he defended 2 (WTF and Basel) titles worth 2000 points and gained 1480 points in the other 3.
Those points only mean something if they count towards a change in ranking. If Federer doesn't make no.1 on the back of those victories, I'm sure he would have preferred the AO title.
Singularity is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 06:34 PM   #420
country flag Clay Death
Banned!

slams constitute a more difficult proposition.

and hence this suggested route here which is to try to snatch small titles.