Federer : The Mother Of All Quests : 20 Slams And 100 Titles. - Page 24 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 03-20-2012, 11:34 PM   #346
country flag masterclass

masterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Century King : 100 Titles For The King Of Switzerland, Roger Federer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay Death View Post
great post general masterclass.
Thank you sir.

Anyone else, please add any other areas you think Mr. Federer has improved, or needs to improve since the US Open, where if continued or accomplished, will help him on his way to 100 titles.

Respectfully,
masterclass
masterclass is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2012, 11:42 PM   #347
country flag Clay Death
Banned!

Clay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Century King : 100 Titles For The King Of Switzerland, Roger Federer

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterclass View Post
Can't disagree too much here Mr. reery. I think the BH analysis is especially true when the ball hasn't been bouncing so high on him, as in the last 2 matches at Indian Wells where the unusually cool, windy and more humid weather helped keep the ball down. With the wind, it's more difficult for players to manage a big looping topspin.

Aside from that, here is where I think Mr. Federer has improved since the US Open:

Mentally: On the whole, he has gotten much better at successfully fencing in his mental lapses, walkabouts, losses of focus, whatever you want to call them. Yes, he still has them, but for shorter periods than before, where he was going away for 1 or even 2 sets in a 5 set major. As he progressed during late 2011 through the WTF, he was dropping his level for perhaps two games or so at most. Of course this is still long enough to lose a close set, like he did to Tsonga at WTF. But what he has managed to do better and better, is toughen up and put an end to it to his drops in level, and I think it has mostly been his strength of serve that has helped him recover his mental focus.
Since the Davis Cup in Switzerland it has even been better, where his level might drop for a few points here and there, maybe a game, but again he recovers.

Another key is that his tiebreaker mentality appears to have improved. Believe it or not, I think his decision in Rotterdam to play a 2 super tiebreaker exho mid tournament with the Dutchman Igor Sijsling after Youzhny withdrew, helped him toughen up mentally in tiebreakers thereafter. He is 4 out of 5 in tiebreakers since that day, beating Llodra and Del Potro in 2 of them, in Dubai, and Isner at Indian Wells, only losing to the huge serving Raonic early at Indian Wells.

Last, but not least, as he has been winning more and more, his confidence has naturally steadily risen, which also helps him get over the tough spots.

Game Play:
Serve:

His serve has been clutch, especially since after the Davis Cup in Switzerland. It's helped him get out of the situations where his aggressive groundstrokes that turn into unforced errors have put him behind. He is varying his serve, I think, as well as he has ever done. He can bring the heat when he needs it, but he is even better at placing it when he needs to do so.

Return of serve:
On his return of serve, his initial return has been clutch when he needs it. His blocking shot has never been better in my opinion. He is generally hitting the defensive floater less than he had been, which I think is good. Better to have a bit riskier shot to take time away from the server, then to just float a return back, unless the serve is just too good.

Groundstrokes:
He seems to be better at judging when to take the ball early and go for a shot, vs. returning to keep the ball in play until he can work himself into a better strategic position. His short hop returns when he is standing on the baseline and a ball comes at him deep are really disheartening to the opponent as they come back almost as fast as they were hit. He seems to be more confident using his backhand topspin as long as the ball isn't coming at him too high. His forehand seems to be more explosive when he needs it to be, and I think he is only floating the ball back when he is absolutely has no choice.

There's probably more, but I'll leave that for someone else...

Respectfully,
masterclass

superb analysis as usual from general masterclass.

confidence has received a major boost as a result of this success. he has snatched 39 of his last 41 matches while staring age 31 in the face.

the backhand is improved and the serve is as good as it has ever been and only better. now he is holding serve about 92% of the time which is about the best in the world. at this rate he will jump to the top spot as far as taking care of his serve. there is only one player higher than 92% but he will fall soon enough. he held serve around 89% of the time in his prime.

so the 2 biggest improvements are the serve and the confidence. third is the backhand.

lastly, he is taking care of his fitness.
Clay Death is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 03:08 AM   #348
country flag Clay Death
Banned!

Clay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond repute

i am not going to rule out wimbledon for fed completely. you know it is sports and sometimes unforeseen things happen.

there is always that small possibility that the clay warrior or no-jok stumble for some reason. perhaps fatigue or maybe somebody plays lights out tennis and takes them out. these things can happen.

so for that reason, nodjok, fed, and nadal will be the favorites for the wimbledon title and if 1 of the 2 dont bring it then somebody will capitalize as he should.

fed may go in as the #2 seed which helps his cause in a way. he will certainly not have to face the world #1 until the final. and fed will go into such a final with far more experience on that stage.

so a wimby title--in all fairness---can happen for fed but he will need a great draw and some help from the other two. he has been on one hell of a roll and he is bringing a more improved game this year.
Old 03-23-2012, 04:31 AM   #349
asotgod

asotgod has a reputation beyond reputeasotgod has a reputation beyond reputeasotgod has a reputation beyond reputeasotgod has a reputation beyond reputeasotgod has a reputation beyond reputeasotgod has a reputation beyond reputeasotgod has a reputation beyond reputeasotgod has a reputation beyond reputeasotgod has a reputation beyond reputeasotgod has a reputation beyond reputeasotgod has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
great post general.

i will add only this:

he can put pressure on you on any surface as you saw at indian wells. he can even do that on clay.

then there is that constant threat at net: he is the best net player in the game but he doesnt even have to volley at times. he can take that ball early when attacking and dictating with the forehand and with just the slightest hint that he is coming forward makes people miss. now the passing shots have to be more precise or he is going to end the point.

and that serve is bigger than ever right now. another fact:

he used to hold serve around 88% of the time when he was at the very height of his powers. now he is taking care of his serve nearly 92% of the time. that has to help his cause.

you what i always say: you can win if you cant break.

Agree with most. Not sure his serve is bigger. Federer's serve seems to come and go now much more than in his prime. I wouldn't count on the 92% service hold. I have seen that drop as the year goes on. It's a good start but the clay will probably reflect more what that hold percentage is.

As per the clay, Nadal still must be given the edge irrespective of Fed's pressure. The problem with Fed is finding that right balance between attack and defense. While he is always trying to find that, Nadal does not have to. Nadal is much more at home on clay (winning so much and so frequently does that for you) so he doesn't have to tweak much, if anything, to dominate. Anyway, just a few more weeks before that season begins.
asotgod is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 07:06 AM   #350
country flag FedvsNole

FedvsNole has a reputation beyond reputeFedvsNole has a reputation beyond reputeFedvsNole has a reputation beyond reputeFedvsNole has a reputation beyond reputeFedvsNole has a reputation beyond reputeFedvsNole has a reputation beyond reputeFedvsNole has a reputation beyond reputeFedvsNole has a reputation beyond reputeFedvsNole has a reputation beyond reputeFedvsNole has a reputation beyond reputeFedvsNole has a reputation beyond repute

great analysis as always masterclass. I just have a few minor things that i've noticed.

Serve
The serve has really I think lifted his overall game. He's holding so often and very easily. It has really opened up and relaxed him on his return game. His "clutchness" has came back especially when down 0-30 or 15-40 at big moments in the match. I think it was 4-4 3rd set agaist belucci down 0-30 and he hit 4 serves that did not come back. 15-40 against nadal and he got out of trouble by serving clutch. His second serve pts won i believe is the key to all of this and he's leading the atp in second serve points won on serve at 62% which is a combo of the variety and placement along with backing it up with his groundstrokes. One last thing. A tactic he employed against nadal that had been the wide serve to the deuce side and then he started doing it to del potro. And now he's doing it to everyone with great sucess. He hadn't been much of a wide server on the deuce end and now is using that much much more and getting a lot of cheap points/aces when he goes down the T on the deuce end.

Return: biggest improvement i've noticed is against big hitters fed is getting back so many first serves that I dont think he was really getting to last year. He's improved vastly returning wide serves to the deuce end and is really bending very smoothly which even in the last 2 years he was giving up on and being aced or not putting the ball in play. Speaking of aces, i believe he's back to really making it tough to get outaced and outacing all the big servers or at least matching them. Also, he's shown variety in backing up 7-8 feet on second serves really just giving the big servers differnt looks. I've seen him chip and charge as well. His break point conversion percentage is 44% which is a testament to how relaxed he's playing on return games because his serve is working great. I also believe he's hitting less slice backhands and really hitting through the backhand and quite well. I think we'll see a combination of slice returns and backhands against everyone except nadal who he'll avoid the slice backhand on returns.

Backhand: really since the french last year and i believe with annacone as coach that shot has been improved. More consistent and hitting it deeper. And fed really hits through that shot well getting great pace as seen against nadal even on a slow hard court. It really has held up extremely well. I would like to see him work the down the line backhand more and be more consistent and realize he doesn't have to go for the lines for it to be effective.

Forehand: while not as deadly as in his prime. He's hitting it well and making a more concerted effort to hit more inside out forehands rather than backhands which is serving him well as it confuses the opponents whether he will go down the line or cross court. The running forehand has made a return which had long been absent and is been hit phenomenally.

Movement: Its not the same as in his prime but i feel he's moving similar to australia 2010 and that's more than enough especially with such slow surfaces on hard courts and the clay court season coming up. The movement is helping him run around and hit more forehands instead of backhands which i love to see. It has also GREATLY HELPED HIS DEFENSE. Even roger stated that he's improved this and no better example can be noted than that 30-30 point vs nadal and fed played great defense and has been in many matches getting that extra ball back which he normally gives up on.

Fitness: Many have commented that federer has gotten stronger in the off season and is hititng the ball harder. Im not sure but i know he's worked on his footwork, explosiveness, and stamina. He's played enough tough 3 setters back to back and matches on consecutive days with 15-17 hours in between but has not come out looking flat at all. No better example than that tough 3 setter that ended at 10pm with davydenko followed by the 2pm final with del potro where fed came out crisp and sharp. Somethings been worked on or improved for sure.

Mentality: I dunno if it was that 6 week break after the us open that he took. But that tsonga WTF 2011 match the federer from the tsonga wimbledon match or from the nole us open match would probably have lost that. He hung tough when he should have closed it out it two sets, dug deep, and fought out of a lot of 0-30, 15-30 games to take that. Now i've seen like msterclass noted less mental lapses. When they do arrive they are maybe a game or two and not for an entire set or more. That davydenko match I think really displayed his new mentality. He fought when it looked bad being down a set and break and davydenko was hot. And now when he's losing sets. He's almost immediately breaking in the opening game of the next set and taking control and taking the match. Again that 30-30 point at 5-4 was gigantic. Then that was followed by a rain delay on match point. He's really having these weird things thrown at him and he's not letting them distract him. Getting ill at indian wells and almost withdrawing and somehow still getting through that tournament especially with all that he's played was surprising. Goes back to that renewed focus.

God that was too long. Im sorry. In summary, he's now better mentally, serving great, and improved physically which has resulted in better movement and defense which is winning him a great percentage of break points that in the past he usually wasn't able to capitalize on.
FedvsNole is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 08:12 AM   #351
country flag masterclass

masterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond repute

That's a well-thought out post Mr. FedvsNole!
I agree your point about how he is handling break point opportunities is also key.
And his serving, even if not always getting a high pct. of first serve has generally been superb when he has really needed it. It's helped him when some other part of his game may be letting him down, heading off disaster, and energizes his focus.

One has to ask to though, how long can he keep doing this? A couple of months, the rest of the year, longer? Will it survive the change to clay? Will some other player adjust and find something to take him off his game? Who are the likely candidates to do so?

Respectfully,
masterclass
Old 03-23-2012, 08:29 AM   #352
country flag masterclass

Quote:
i am not going to rule out wimbledon for fed completely. you know it is sports and sometimes unforeseen things happen.

there is always that small possibility that the clay warrior or no-jok stumble for some reason. perhaps fatigue or maybe somebody plays lights out tennis and takes them out. these things can happen.

so for that reason, nodjok, fed, and nadal will be the favorites for the wimbledon title and if 1 of the 2 dont bring it then somebody will capitalize as he should.

fed may go in as the #2 seed which helps his cause in a way. he will certainly not have to face the world #1 until the final. and fed will go into such a final with far more experience on that stage.

so a wimby title--in all fairness---can happen for fed but he will need a great draw and some help from the other two. he has been on one hell of a roll and he is bringing a more improved game this year.
Good points about Wimbledon Mr. CD. He faces challenges from two sides, from the power hitters of the game that like the grass, like Tsonga and Berdych, and still from Nadal, especially in the last days of the tournament where it is dry and the grass is turning to dirt.
Tsonga and Berdych blow hot and cold, if he gets unlucky as in 2010 and 2011 and they are in the zone, then he is in trouble. But if he is fortunate, and they don't, he can sail through. A bit of luck in the draw would help as well. With Nadal, any condition that gives him more time to hit the ball helps him and hurts Federer. So a bit of damp weather would help the soil softer and keep those bounces down in the final week. Or, Federer has to take a risk and hit the ball earlier, to take away Nadal's time.

Respectfully,
masterclass
Old 03-23-2012, 04:58 PM   #353
country flag FedvsNole

FedvsNole has a reputation beyond reputeFedvsNole has a reputation beyond reputeFedvsNole has a reputation beyond reputeFedvsNole has a reputation beyond reputeFedvsNole has a reputation beyond reputeFedvsNole has a reputation beyond reputeFedvsNole has a reputation beyond reputeFedvsNole has a reputation beyond reputeFedvsNole has a reputation beyond reputeFedvsNole has a reputation beyond reputeFedvsNole has a reputation beyond repute

Wimbledon confirms olympic games to have night matches with roof closed and lights on. What a spectacular venue that will be on grass.

Fed-nadal olympic final under the lights on grass. Would be amazing.
FedvsNole is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 05:00 PM   #354
country flag Clay Death
Banned!

it is certainly possible. i am looking forward to the olympics already.
Old 03-23-2012, 05:05 PM   #355
country flag comesbackatlast

comesbackatlast has a reputation beyond reputecomesbackatlast has a reputation beyond reputecomesbackatlast has a reputation beyond reputecomesbackatlast has a reputation beyond reputecomesbackatlast has a reputation beyond reputecomesbackatlast has a reputation beyond reputecomesbackatlast has a reputation beyond reputecomesbackatlast has a reputation beyond reputecomesbackatlast has a reputation beyond reputecomesbackatlast has a reputation beyond reputecomesbackatlast has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by FedvsNole View Post
Wimbledon confirms olympic games to have night matches with roof closed and lights on. What a spectacular venue that will be on grass.

Fed-nadal olympic final under the lights on grass. Would be amazing.

Just the thought of it!

And if Federer was to win!
comesbackatlast is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 05:31 PM   #356
country flag Clay Death
Banned!

i like the way you guys think. never ever give up on your player if he is winning like he has been winning lately.
Old 03-23-2012, 10:47 PM   #357
country flag viruzzz

viruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond repute

If we're analysing Fed's chances in Miami, is bad for all of us we can't watch the friday's matches by TV.
It would be very good for us to know how Murray or Nadal are playing.

Tomorrow it's a very important day, Fed-Harrison, Nole-Baghdatis are 2 matches we can't stop watching.
Nole didn't play great in IW, and Fed played very good since QF.

But we all know Federer, Nadal, Murray and Djokovic are very, very talented players, all of them playing at their best are almost impossible to beat.
I think the only way they lose playing at their best, is if they play to a fellow top 4 at his best too.

So, as I always say, we can't count any of them out. Tomorrow is a good day to see their current form. However, they can improve as the days pass.
Old 03-24-2012, 03:29 AM   #358
country flag finishingmove

finishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond repute

300 titles for King Feolidas
finishingmove is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 02:40 PM   #359
country flag Clay Death
Banned!

affirmative. i have that tennis channel and it is even usually on in the house.

and still i did not bother to actually sit down and watch it.

now to get back on topic:

who here feels that #74 is within reach?
Old 03-24-2012, 02:54 PM   #360
country flag Punky

Punky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
affirmative. i have that tennis channel and it is even usually on in the house.

and still i did not bother to actually sit down and watch it.

now to get back on topic:

who here feels that #74 is within reach?
me
things were created to be used.
The reason why the world is in chaos is because things are being loved, and people are being used."

"יברכך ה' וישמרך,יאר ה' פניו אליך ויחונך,ישא ה' פניו אליך וישם לך שלום"
Punky is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote