Federer : The Mother Of All Quests : 20 Slams And 100 Titles. - Page 14 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 03-03-2012, 08:11 PM   #196
country flag Clay Death
Banned!

Clay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The King of 100 Titles : The Great Swiss Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slice Winner View Post
Good call on predicting the eventual winner early on, Clay Death.
thanks Slice Winner.
Clay Death is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2012, 08:16 PM   #197
country flag Looner

Looner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond repute

In one recent interview Fed suggested something interesting. He sort of implied he might skip Madrid and play MC instead. This sounds like a strange decision but let's wait and see.

MC's clay is closer to RG so that might be the reason whilst even winning in Madrid doesn't say much about anyone's chances at RG.
Looner is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 08:21 PM   #198
country flag Clay Death
Banned!

Clay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond repute

fed has a chance at a clay title this year if all goes just right:

madrid masters. he is not going to skip madrid. he needs his preparation for RG.

the draw needs to be favorable of course.
Old 03-03-2012, 08:26 PM   #199
country flag Clay Death
Banned!

check out his last words in this article at the very bottom. this is what i was saying. i think he is far further along this year than he was last year at this time. he is more fit and more confident:

DUBAI, United Arab Emirates (AP)

Roger Federer edged Andy Murray 7-5, 6-4 Saturday to win his fifth Dubai Championships title.

The second-seeded Federer didn't drop a set all week and kept Murray off balance much of the match. The win was Federer's fifth title in seven tournaments and his 72nd overall.

''This is perfect. This is great. Any title is a good one, I'll tell you that,'' Federer said. ''I have a losing record against Murray.''

The 16-time Grand Slam champion improved to 7-8 against Murray, outplaying the 24-year-old from Scotland with a mix of powerful groundstrokes, drop shots and the occasional serve-and-volley.

''For sure I made a few too many mistakes in the second, and he was playing a lot more aggressive than in the first set,'' Murray said. ''Sets can come down to just a couple points. You get a lucky shot here or one great shot and you can break the set wide open.''

Federer saved two break points when down 3-2 in the first set at the Aviation Club. He saved the first when Murray hit a forehand long and won the second with a backhand volley.

Federer broke Murray to go up 6-5 and took the first set when Murray hit a forehand wide.

The two players traded breaks early in the second set before Federer broke decisively to make it 5-4. Murray saved one match point before the Swiss star hit a forehand winner into the corner.

''The match was close, I think in both sets, I just gave myself more opportunities than Andy did overall,'' said Federer, who used the fast surface to his advantage.

Murray, who was coming off his semifinal win against top-ranked Novak Djokovic, struggled with his backhand and serve. He won 85 percent of his first service points against Djokovic, but only 48 percent against Federer.

Murray insisted his win over Djokovic was not on his mind when he took the court against Federer.

''It was a good win yesterday, good win the day before, tough match today,'' Murray said. ''So I'm just happy with the week, because at this stage last year I was in a very different position, different frame of mind.''
Old 03-03-2012, 09:44 PM   #200
country flag Arkulari
Faithful Txurigorri

Arkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond repute

72 in the bag, he'll definitely break McEnroe's singles titles records but I doubt he'll break Connors'

Arkulari is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 09:53 PM   #201
country flag Clay Death
Banned!

mac`s record could be broken this year alone. there is a chance anyway.
Old 03-03-2012, 10:04 PM   #202
country flag Looner

Looner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think I value Connors's record as much. I heard he played a lot of (real) MM events to get to 109. Tennis is very different nowadays. I think Lendl's count is an actual challenge (not sure of the number) but I'd be happy if Fed ends up with ~80-90 titles. What's astounding for me is Roger's winning percentage for tournaments he's entered - 72 titles, 102 finals, 251 tournaments played. That's >25% of tournaments that he's won in which he's participated. Stunning.

As for Fed being a challenge for anyone on any surface when being his game and especially serve and FH are on - well, you only need to look at what he did to Nadal in that first set in their RG final. Had he not started choking and feeling nervous, he'd have had a good chance of winning in 3/4. Fed is difficult to beat on any surface when on.
Looner is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 10:31 PM   #203
country flag manadrainer

manadrainer has a reputation beyond reputemanadrainer has a reputation beyond reputemanadrainer has a reputation beyond reputemanadrainer has a reputation beyond reputemanadrainer has a reputation beyond reputemanadrainer has a reputation beyond reputemanadrainer has a reputation beyond reputemanadrainer has a reputation beyond reputemanadrainer has a reputation beyond reputemanadrainer has a reputation beyond reputemanadrainer has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay Death View Post
see that is what is astounding here. all the bickering about how he needs fast courts to win is just bullshit. he wins because of his talent and when he executes his game.

this dude won hamburg once or twice and it was slower than piss. he has made about 100 finals at RG and won one of them.

he beat NoDjok there last year which was no easy feat to accomplish. nodjok was in his prime and in a zone last year and and fed was pushing 31. till fed bossed his ass around on clay.
Well CD, you can't deny that fast, low-bouncing courts favour Fed's game. Just look at the titles he's won in the last 2 years (counting since march 2010):

2010 Cincinnati
2010 Stockholm
2010 Basel
2010 World Tour Finals

2011 Doha
2011 Basel
2011 Paris-Bercy
2011 World Tour Finals

2012 Rotterdam
2012 Dubai

10 titles, 7 are indoors, the others on fast low-bouncing surfaces. He can go deep in tournaments with slow, high-bouncing courts, but he won't be the favourite to win against Rafa/Nole (especially against Rafa). His results in the past 2 years show what I mean...

Once upon a time there was a myth about strong and weak eras. On this glorious day the clownery was eventually unmasked: 30 y.o. past-prime daddy Fed became #1 once again in the supposed strong "Spartan" era with his rivals at their peak.
And they all lived happily ever after.
Long live King Federer!

17 Grand Slam titles
7 Wimbledon titles
302 weeks at #1
Legend
manadrainer is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 10:38 PM   #204
country flag Clay Death
Banned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by manadrainer View Post
Well CD, you can't deny that fast, low-bouncing courts favour Fed's game. Just look at the titles he's won in the last 2 years (counting since march 2010):

2010 Cincinnati
2010 Stockholm
2010 Basel
2010 World Tour Finals

2011 Doha
2011 Basel
2011 Paris-Bercy
2011 World Tour Finals

2012 Rotterdam
2012 Dubai

10 titles, 7 are indoors, the others on fast low-bouncing surfaces. He can go deep in tournaments with slow, high-bouncing courts, but he won't be the favourite to win against Rafa/Nole (especially against Rafa). His results in the past 2 years show what I mean...

of course his game is more ideally suited for slick low bouncing surfaces. take grass for instance. just look at how many wimbledon titles he has snatched there.

but he has shown that he can win on any surface.

i call that talent. and talent is what does it for him.

finally he is almost 31 now so he has to take what he can which has been my main point in this hread all along anyway.

you take what you can or you take damn near nothing. what would you do?
Old 03-03-2012, 10:45 PM   #205
country flag ballbasher101

ballbasher101 has a reputation beyond reputeballbasher101 has a reputation beyond reputeballbasher101 has a reputation beyond reputeballbasher101 has a reputation beyond reputeballbasher101 has a reputation beyond reputeballbasher101 has a reputation beyond reputeballbasher101 has a reputation beyond reputeballbasher101 has a reputation beyond reputeballbasher101 has a reputation beyond reputeballbasher101 has a reputation beyond reputeballbasher101 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

2010 Cincinnati
2010 Stockholm
2010 Basel
2010 World Tour Finals

2011 Doha
2011 Basel
2011 Paris-Bercy
2011 World Tour Finals

2012 Rotterdam
2012 Dubai

Nice bit of stats there. Only a fool would go against you. Hats off to you
ballbasher101 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 12:53 AM   #206
country flag abraxas21

abraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

2010 Cincinnati
2010 Stockholm
2010 Basel
2010 World Tour Finals

2011 Doha
2011 Basel
2011 Paris-Bercy
2011 World Tour Finals

2012 Rotterdam
2012 Dubai

exactly. i've long argued here that the most favourable aspect for federer isn't the court's speed but the court's bounce. the lower the bounce, the higher the chances for federer.

it's also quite telling that federer used to had so much success in hamburg. a slow clay court but with a notoriously low bounce
Old 03-04-2012, 04:38 AM   #207
country flag Clay Death
Banned!

Default Re: The Century King : 100 Titles For The Great Swiss Assassin

predict the exact number of titles for Fed for 2012 and also for 2013. so basically how many additional titles can he snatch during the remainder of the season?

my own guess is that at the current rate, he may bag 4-5 more before the year is done.

and i predict 5-6 in 2013.
Old 03-04-2012, 04:40 AM   #208
country flag Arkulari
Faithful Txurigorri

Arkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond repute

CD: do you think he's the favorite for the World Tour Finals again?

Arkulari is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 04:41 AM   #209
country flag Clay Death
Banned!

affirmative. he is even better this year than he was last year.

his whole frame of mind is different. he wants titles and he will take anything he can get.
Old 03-04-2012, 04:43 AM   #210
country flag Clay Death
Banned!

wtf is a done deal for him. make sure to bump this thread when it happens.