Federer : The Mother Of All Quests : 20 Slams And 100 Titles. - Page 119 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 08-17-2014, 11:03 PM   #1771
country flag Looner

Looner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Federer : The Mother Of All Quests : 20 Slams And 100 Titles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elpistolero7 View Post
Sure, make the field like 2004-2006 maybe he'll win some 250's and vulture to 100 slams.

This Wimbledon is his final shot at a slam IMO. The big hitters are weary. Djokovic's confidence is shot to pieces at slams, Murray isn't looking at his best and Nadal has become a joke on grass compared. I miss the days when it was easily his second best surface.
Lol, another Nadaltard gone into hiding after Wimbledon .

The "Who plays tennis?" thread

On winning DC and its overall importance in the discussion for all-time greats
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orbis View Post
Davis Cup should never have really mattered in the GOAT discussion anyway since it's a team event. If you're talking about the GOAT singles player then you should mainly look at individual results.
If some unknown talent came out of some random tiny country (no chance to win DC) and won 20 slams, no one would give a single shit if that player didn't have DC. The fact is, success in DC is largely determined by what country you come from or play for in the first place, which most players haven't had any control over.
Looner is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2014, 11:03 PM   #1772
country flag Federer Forever

Federer Forever has a reputation beyond reputeFederer Forever has a reputation beyond reputeFederer Forever has a reputation beyond reputeFederer Forever has a reputation beyond reputeFederer Forever has a reputation beyond reputeFederer Forever has a reputation beyond reputeFederer Forever has a reputation beyond reputeFederer Forever has a reputation beyond reputeFederer Forever has a reputation beyond reputeFederer Forever has a reputation beyond reputeFederer Forever has a reputation beyond repute

Really couldn't have asked for more, great season already and a couple more titles may still come.
Old 08-17-2014, 11:11 PM   #1773
country flag Looner

Looner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond repute

A slam would be an amazing cherry on an already sweet cake this season. I highly doubt it though. USO is too taxing at his age.

The "Who plays tennis?" thread

On winning DC and its overall importance in the discussion for all-time greats
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orbis View Post
Davis Cup should never have really mattered in the GOAT discussion anyway since it's a team event. If you're talking about the GOAT singles player then you should mainly look at individual results.
If some unknown talent came out of some random tiny country (no chance to win DC) and won 20 slams, no one would give a single shit if that player didn't have DC. The fact is, success in DC is largely determined by what country you come from or play for in the first place, which most players haven't had any control over.
Looner is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 11:29 PM   #1774
country flag FedvsNole

FedvsNole has a reputation beyond reputeFedvsNole has a reputation beyond reputeFedvsNole has a reputation beyond reputeFedvsNole has a reputation beyond reputeFedvsNole has a reputation beyond reputeFedvsNole has a reputation beyond reputeFedvsNole has a reputation beyond reputeFedvsNole has a reputation beyond reputeFedvsNole has a reputation beyond reputeFedvsNole has a reputation beyond reputeFedvsNole has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looner View Post
A slam would be an amazing cherry on an already sweet cake this season. I highly doubt it though. USO is too taxing at his age.
Would argue that 10 matches in 12-13 days against mostly top 10 or young guns, mostly going to 3rd set final sets, and having sometimes < 20 hr turnaround between matches and finishing at midnight and sleeping at 3am several times, plus that initial adjustment to playing on concrete all of a sudden would be the much harder task... likely if they could do that... they could probably play a few 5 setters...

Fed could probably play 5 setters in the semis and finals now with 48-52 hours of rest between super saturday and monday 5 pm final... he did it in 2013 aussie which was slower and more difficult physically than us open because of court speed in qf and semis and nearly won that second match vs murray who was on fire and actually probably prevented murray from wining.. so im not sure any of the big 4 can play 5 setters back to back against each other and not be at a disadvantage.. djokers not 24 anymore.. plus murray/nadal/djoker are going to feel that concrete in their bodies since they didn't play much of a summer hard court season..... fed just almost never goes 5 sets back to back.. i'd argue that the new net play is going to "save" him a bit of that burn out compared to if he was just grinding like he was in 2013..

Last edited by FedvsNole : 08-17-2014 at 11:32 PM.
FedvsNole is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 01:32 AM   #1775
country flag gpasqualicchio

gpasqualicchio has a reputation beyond reputegpasqualicchio has a reputation beyond reputegpasqualicchio has a reputation beyond reputegpasqualicchio has a reputation beyond reputegpasqualicchio has a reputation beyond reputegpasqualicchio has a reputation beyond reputegpasqualicchio has a reputation beyond reputegpasqualicchio has a reputation beyond reputegpasqualicchio has a reputation beyond reputegpasqualicchio has a reputation beyond reputegpasqualicchio has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rychu View Post
Really couldn't have asked for more, great season already and a couple more titles may still come.
I like his chances at Basel and one of the indoor Masters for sure. Definitely a chance at USO and WTF as well. Wimbledon on is Fed's best time of the season!
gpasqualicchio is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 06:00 AM   #1776
country flag Johnbert

Johnbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohnbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohnbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohnbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohnbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohnbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohnbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohnbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohnbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohnbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohnbert has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looner View Post
Lol, another Nadaltard gone into hiding after Wimbledon .
Johnbert is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 09:04 AM   #1777
country flag Lopez

Lopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond repute

I would be very pleased if he ends his career with 90 titles, never mind 100. He'd need 20 more to get to 100, so 6 a year for the next 3 years if he gets two more this year... Seems unlikely, but you never know with Roger
lol, who will beat him? Wawrinka? Berdych? Gulbis? Rosol? Federer?

Only Del Potro can take him out before the semis, and he won't. Nadal is winning the AO, bet your house on it.
Somewhere out there, there is a homeless person who once took betting advice from GSMnadal
Lopez is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 09:49 AM   #1778
country flag Tennis Passion

Tennis Passion has a reputation beyond reputeTennis Passion has a reputation beyond reputeTennis Passion has a reputation beyond reputeTennis Passion has a reputation beyond reputeTennis Passion has a reputation beyond reputeTennis Passion has a reputation beyond reputeTennis Passion has a reputation beyond reputeTennis Passion has a reputation beyond reputeTennis Passion has a reputation beyond reputeTennis Passion has a reputation beyond reputeTennis Passion has a reputation beyond repute

So .. if Fed wins one title every second year .. he needs to play until he is 73 years old to win 100 titles

He should win those three slams in between though
I disagree with the premise that Djokovic will reach exactly six slam finals. I'm making the bold prediction that he'll never reach another.
Just before AO'15
Quote:
Originally Posted by JarkaFish View Post
Sir Plexicushion's luck and gamesmanship peaked at Wimbledon last year, he won't win another slam ever again.
Tennis Passion is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 03:31 PM   #1779
country flag NSMv1924

NSMv1924 has a reputation beyond reputeNSMv1924 has a reputation beyond reputeNSMv1924 has a reputation beyond reputeNSMv1924 has a reputation beyond reputeNSMv1924 has a reputation beyond reputeNSMv1924 has a reputation beyond reputeNSMv1924 has a reputation beyond reputeNSMv1924 has a reputation beyond reputeNSMv1924 has a reputation beyond reputeNSMv1924 has a reputation beyond reputeNSMv1924 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rychu View Post
This.

I definitely think 2 more titles are probable at this point if he keeps up this form, great to see what he's doing at his age.
Old 08-18-2014, 03:49 PM   #1780
country flag gatekeeper

gatekeeper has a reputation beyond reputegatekeeper has a reputation beyond reputegatekeeper has a reputation beyond reputegatekeeper has a reputation beyond reputegatekeeper has a reputation beyond reputegatekeeper has a reputation beyond reputegatekeeper has a reputation beyond reputegatekeeper has a reputation beyond reputegatekeeper has a reputation beyond reputegatekeeper has a reputation beyond reputegatekeeper has a reputation beyond repute

he always can vulture some challengers

Nishikori Wawrinka Kyrgios

Monfils Robredo Verdasco Ferrer Del-Potro
gatekeeper is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 08:09 PM   #1781
country flag masterclass

masterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond repute

The Amazing Swiss Assassin going for his 23rd Masters title and title #81`overall tomorrow vs. Gilles Simon. Can he get it done? If he plays like the last two nights, I don't think Simon has a chance.

Then again, Roger could let down after the Djokovic match. Also the match is scheduled to start at 4:30 pm., again giving Federer less than 20 hours to recover. Simon's counter game does bother him in general, but maybe Roger has a plan for Simon as well.

Simon doesn't return as well as Djokovic, so if Roger serves as well as he has lately, it's difficult to see him getting broken. But he moves quite fast around the court. I still think he is at least a level or two below Djokovic and it would surprise me if he won in their comparative forms. Lopez was a tired player today and Simon took advantage.

We will see. Good luck and health to both players.

Respectfully,
masterclass
masterclass is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 08:44 PM   #1782
country flag TennisPhan1
Banned!

TennisPhan1 has a reputation beyond reputeTennisPhan1 has a reputation beyond reputeTennisPhan1 has a reputation beyond reputeTennisPhan1 has a reputation beyond reputeTennisPhan1 has a reputation beyond reputeTennisPhan1 has a reputation beyond reputeTennisPhan1 has a reputation beyond reputeTennisPhan1 has a reputation beyond reputeTennisPhan1 has a reputation beyond reputeTennisPhan1 has a reputation beyond reputeTennisPhan1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterclass View Post
The Amazing Swiss Assassin going for his 23rd Masters title and title #81`overall tomorrow vs. Gilles Simon. Can he get it done? If he plays like the last two nights, I don't think Simon has a chance.
man he lost 5 finals this year, coulda had #85 already and goin for #86 tomorrow
TennisPhan1 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 08:52 PM   #1783
country flag TennisPhan1
Banned!

TennisPhan1 has a reputation beyond reputeTennisPhan1 has a reputation beyond reputeTennisPhan1 has a reputation beyond reputeTennisPhan1 has a reputation beyond reputeTennisPhan1 has a reputation beyond reputeTennisPhan1 has a reputation beyond reputeTennisPhan1 has a reputation beyond reputeTennisPhan1 has a reputation beyond reputeTennisPhan1 has a reputation beyond reputeTennisPhan1 has a reputation beyond reputeTennisPhan1 has a reputation beyond repute

so he had #71 titles when this thread was made, 10 more 2 years later
TennisPhan1 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 09:30 PM   #1784
country flag masterclass

masterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond repute

Looking back at this thread, especially near the beginning, there are some gem posts - xx at most

Respectfully,
masterclass
masterclass is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 12:34 AM   #1785
country flag Rekanto

Rekanto has a reputation beyond reputeRekanto has a reputation beyond reputeRekanto has a reputation beyond reputeRekanto has a reputation beyond reputeRekanto has a reputation beyond reputeRekanto has a reputation beyond reputeRekanto has a reputation beyond reputeRekanto has a reputation beyond reputeRekanto has a reputation beyond reputeRekanto has a reputation beyond reputeRekanto has a reputation beyond repute

So this thread started after Federer won Wimbledon. And he never won a Grand Slam again?

I think he still has another chance. With the right situation.
Rekanto is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote