Federer : The Mother Of All Quests : 20 Slams And 100 Titles. - Page 107 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 09-26-2012, 01:52 AM   #1591
country flag swisht4u

swisht4u has a reputation beyond reputeswisht4u has a reputation beyond reputeswisht4u has a reputation beyond reputeswisht4u has a reputation beyond reputeswisht4u has a reputation beyond reputeswisht4u has a reputation beyond reputeswisht4u has a reputation beyond reputeswisht4u has a reputation beyond reputeswisht4u has a reputation beyond reputeswisht4u has a reputation beyond reputeswisht4u has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Federer : The Mother Of All Quests : 20 Slams And 100 Titles.

Fed's next chance for a title is in Shanghai so another title chance there.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXÈ

Federer

Del Potro

Gulbis

Janowicz
swisht4u is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2012, 02:38 AM   #1592
country flag Han Solo

Han Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Lenders View Post
Not at all. Look at the rankings breakdown of low top 10 players. Even at 40 Federer will be able to do that easily. I'd go as far as saying that Federer's year of WTF qualification depend solely on his health and motivation, he's far too good to stop being a top player before he calls it a day.
Tennis has become a more physical game. Fitness is key. Don't get me wrong, Federer is an exceptional talent, but thinking he could easily be top ten in ten years time? When was the last time a player was top ten at 40? And did they have to run as much as the players do now? Don't think it's physically possible...
Han Solo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 02:46 AM   #1593
country flag GOATsol

GOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, I don't think Fed would be top 10 at 40 even if he decided to play that long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt01 View Post
As a knowledgable tennis fan (unlike some people here), I can tell you exactly that. There are tennis players who have problems with playing indoor tennis because of the different lights, different sounds etc. compared to outdoors and Nadal is obvioulsy one of those players.
GOATsol is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 05:13 AM   #1594
country flag sco

sco has a reputation beyond reputesco has a reputation beyond reputesco has a reputation beyond reputesco has a reputation beyond reputesco has a reputation beyond reputesco has a reputation beyond reputesco has a reputation beyond reputesco has a reputation beyond reputesco has a reputation beyond reputesco has a reputation beyond reputesco has a reputation beyond repute

Very difficult to remain at the top of the game as long as Connors did with the surfaces so slow these days (longer points). I'm hopeful that Fed will choose the faster surfaces and forego the slower ones in 2013 since he's qualified to play whatever he wants. With adequate rest and breaks from the game, don't see why he shouldn't continue until his mid 30s barring injury.

I don't, however, see him playing for 2 years like Sampras out of the top 10 and losing early on. That entourage (parents, physio, nannies, children, etc) that he travels with is expensive and is a consideration that Sampras didn't have to deal with. Above all, increasing the Grand Slam count IMO is the most important. With the homogenization of the surfaces, no record (except maybe his 23 GS SFs) is safe.
sco is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 08:49 AM   #1595
country flag Looner

Looner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Not at all. Look at the rankings breakdown of low top 10 players. Even at 40 Federer will be able to do that easily. I'd go as far as saying that Federer's year of WTF qualification depend solely on his health and motivation, he's far too good to stop being a top player before he calls it a day.
I have had the same thought for a while now but I have called myself delusional and thought others would do the same. I mean Agassi was top 10 shortly before he retired (he was barely playing by the time he was 35) and that was a stronger era as well. If Federer can avoid injuries, he can definitely stay in the top 10 until he's 40.

Whether he'll have the motivation and desire to do it is a separate issue though.

I just saw this on Twitter.

Is Fed trolling his fans

Quote:
Originally Posted by rene stauffer ‏@staffsky

#Federer still undecided about a start in #Shanghai. Might decide as late as next week if he will travel to China, i heard.

The "Who plays tennis?" thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
Say what you want about Federer playing Baghdatis and Gonzo in AO finals... But at least he won them
Looner is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 09:06 AM   #1596
country flag ApproachShot

ApproachShot has a reputation beyond reputeApproachShot has a reputation beyond reputeApproachShot has a reputation beyond reputeApproachShot has a reputation beyond reputeApproachShot has a reputation beyond reputeApproachShot has a reputation beyond reputeApproachShot has a reputation beyond reputeApproachShot has a reputation beyond reputeApproachShot has a reputation beyond reputeApproachShot has a reputation beyond reputeApproachShot has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by duong View Post
Thanks for the stats, Masterclass.

By the way, Connors holds the record for most weeks in top-5 in a row since the creation of the ATP rankings : 659 weeks, that is 12 years and 7 months from the 24th of september 1973 to the 12th of may 1986, that is he went out of the top-5 only at 33 years and 8 months old ( http://www.tennis28.com/rankings/con..._top5etal.html )

Fed will reach 10 years in a row on the 17th of february 2013.

33 years and 8 months years old for Fed would be in april 2015.

659 weeks would be reached on the 5th of october 2015.

I think every Fedfan would be extremely happy if Fed stayed in the top-5 for that long, which would mean he would still be in the top-competition

If Connors did it, one can hope Fed can do it as well, although it's a huge goal.

More reasonably, Lendl's 588 weeks consecutive would be reached on the 26th of may 2014.

I have to say that's the best I wish for him, more than any other goal like winning slams or else that number of titles record which means hardly anything for me.
Thanks for this. Do you have the dates for Lendl's consecutive run in the top 5? If we can verify it is 588, I'll edit it on Wikipedia. Wiki has it at 524 weeks.
Old 09-26-2012, 09:11 AM   #1597
country flag duong

duong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApproachShot View Post
Thanks for this. Do you have the dates for Lendl's consecutive run in the top 5? If we can verify it is 588, I'll edit it on Wikipedia. Wiki has it at 524 weeks.
I didn't make these stats : they come from the link on tennis28 in my post
Old 09-26-2012, 09:46 AM   #1598
country flag Tag

Tag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond repute

if old legs has any since, he will skip shanghai, vulture basel, and attempt to defend paris and Year End Championships. he needs those indoor points these days, they are the source of his resurgence

djokovic has the Year End No 1 sealed up, more or less by virtue of simply playing tournaments
Tag is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 10:18 AM   #1599
country flag Litotes
ALT-0

Litotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApproachShot View Post
20/10-80 - 20/1-92 according to the site. Rankings in the very start of the 80s (and the 70s) are somewhat inconclusive (they weren't published every week) that is why Wiki only has 524 weeks.
Litotes is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 11:20 AM   #1600
country flag duong

duong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litotes View Post
Rankings in the very start of the 80s (and the 70s) are somewhat inconclusive (they weren't published every week)
yes that's why the supposed record of Lendl's 409 weeks in the top-2 looks very generous to me. I had counted maximum 403 and might have been less around 390 imo (Fed already has 394 weeks guaranteed)
Old 09-26-2012, 03:06 PM   #1601
country flag Corey Feldman
Banned!

Corey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looner View Post
Whether he'll have the motivation and desire to do it is a separate issue though.

I just saw this on Twitter.

Is Fed trolling his fans
good, i dont get a good vibe from Fed playing over there

would rather he came back in Basel fresh like last year and do another Basel-Paris-London treble
Corey Feldman is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 03:10 PM   #1602
country flag AsianSensation

AsianSensation has a reputation beyond reputeAsianSensation has a reputation beyond reputeAsianSensation has a reputation beyond reputeAsianSensation has a reputation beyond reputeAsianSensation has a reputation beyond reputeAsianSensation has a reputation beyond reputeAsianSensation has a reputation beyond reputeAsianSensation has a reputation beyond reputeAsianSensation has a reputation beyond reputeAsianSensation has a reputation beyond reputeAsianSensation has a reputation beyond repute

playing 3 weeks in a row might be a tough ask though...we'll see

Djokovic~Haas~Gasquet~Lopez~Dimitrov~Nishikori~Kar lovic~Fognini~Gulbis
AsianSensation is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 03:24 PM   #1603
country flag Sanya

Sanya has a reputation beyond reputeSanya has a reputation beyond reputeSanya has a reputation beyond reputeSanya has a reputation beyond reputeSanya has a reputation beyond reputeSanya has a reputation beyond reputeSanya has a reputation beyond reputeSanya has a reputation beyond reputeSanya has a reputation beyond reputeSanya has a reputation beyond reputeSanya has a reputation beyond repute

Federer can win his matches in Basel something like 6-2, 6-3 in less than hour in every round. It still takes some freshness off him, but it`s not that impossible for him to stay on top for 3 weeks in a row as someone suggests.
Old 09-26-2012, 03:38 PM   #1604
country flag duong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanya View Post
It still takes some freshness off him, but it`s not that impossible for him to stay on top for 3 weeks in a row as someone suggests.
yes, but I think he will give too much priority to success in the WTF to play Bercy : the WTF is a tough competition where you need to be very good from the start and playing Bercy just before (which means playing 4 matches from thursday to sunday if you get to the final) is certainly not good to be in good form on, let's say, tuesday in the WTF.
Old 09-26-2012, 03:39 PM   #1605
country flag TigerTim

TigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SliceAce View Post
As for Mugray, what can be said? A disgusting human being, and awful player, and a choking pushing mug. He looks like a kemo patient, bald spots, hairless legs, pasty blotchy skin, busted teeth, and an ugly, snarling face. Typical antics all came out in this match: faking injuries, grimacing and cursing, trying to peg Fed, trying to start drama, undeserved final based on an exhausted old man and a joke draw.

I'm no Fakervic fan but he needs to save tennis, sadly tree trunk legs will be fresh. Interesting he's never questioned...
TigerTim is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote