Whats harder running a marethon or playing 5 sets over 6 hours? - Page 4 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 02-15-2012, 10:20 AM   #46
country flag Jamoz

Jamoz has a reputation beyond reputeJamoz has a reputation beyond reputeJamoz has a reputation beyond reputeJamoz has a reputation beyond reputeJamoz has a reputation beyond reputeJamoz has a reputation beyond reputeJamoz has a reputation beyond reputeJamoz has a reputation beyond reputeJamoz has a reputation beyond reputeJamoz has a reputation beyond reputeJamoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Whats harder running a marethon or playing 5 sets over 6 hours?

There is fit and FIT. Novak and Rafa are fit no doubt. But if you compare their fitness for top runners, they are just average joe's. Also it's huge insult to compare these guys for runners who RUN ALL THE FUCKING TIME during marathon.

How many hours they actually played during that match? There was more time wasting and sitting in chairs than tennis in that match Runners can't sit in chairs and walk from time to time, they have to run all the time! and that speed they keep up is amazing.
Jamoz is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2012, 11:33 AM   #47
country flag Roamed

Roamed has a reputation beyond reputeRoamed has a reputation beyond reputeRoamed has a reputation beyond reputeRoamed has a reputation beyond reputeRoamed has a reputation beyond reputeRoamed has a reputation beyond reputeRoamed has a reputation beyond reputeRoamed has a reputation beyond reputeRoamed has a reputation beyond reputeRoamed has a reputation beyond reputeRoamed has a reputation beyond repute

A marathon, no question. In a marathon you pretty much have to focus on yourself, there are no breaks, no pauses, just you and the road in front of you and I imagine you'd come to doubt yourself so much more. In tennis you can just focus on winning the next point and taking a breather at the next changeover.
Will Federer regain the #1 spot and break Sampras's record for most weeks at the top?

Roger // Rafa // Raonic // Söderling // Goffin // Ivo // Wawrinka // Baker // Delpo
Roamed is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 12:27 PM   #48
country flag Asadinator

Asadinator has a reputation beyond reputeAsadinator has a reputation beyond reputeAsadinator has a reputation beyond reputeAsadinator has a reputation beyond reputeAsadinator has a reputation beyond reputeAsadinator has a reputation beyond reputeAsadinator has a reputation beyond reputeAsadinator has a reputation beyond reputeAsadinator has a reputation beyond reputeAsadinator has a reputation beyond reputeAsadinator has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felipe Abe View Post
I think playing 5 sets over 6 hours its harder cause it envolves mental not only physical
Don't be a pussy. These players are pros, they're not going to collapse because they might start losing after a long match

Next time you run a long distance, just feel what's it like to have your heart pounding out of your chest and struggling to breath. Don't you feel like the marathon runners might question the point of the whole running thing and life altogether as the sun beats down on their heads?

Marathons and such require the most mental strength if anything. You have to put your life on the line.
Asadinator is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 03:57 PM   #49
country flag Mongoose
Banned!

Mongoose has a reputation beyond reputeMongoose has a reputation beyond reputeMongoose has a reputation beyond reputeMongoose has a reputation beyond reputeMongoose has a reputation beyond reputeMongoose has a reputation beyond reputeMongoose has a reputation beyond reputeMongoose has a reputation beyond reputeMongoose has a reputation beyond reputeMongoose has a reputation beyond reputeMongoose has a reputation beyond repute

it depends how fast you run it

i could lollygag a marathon at 8:00 mile pace in my sleep and it would be way easier than a 6 hour tennis match. But going all out and running a marathon in 3 hours would be harder than spending 30 seconds in between points and playing tennis for six hours.
Mongoose is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 04:43 PM   #50
country flag bouncer7

bouncer7 has a reputation beyond reputebouncer7 has a reputation beyond reputebouncer7 has a reputation beyond reputebouncer7 has a reputation beyond reputebouncer7 has a reputation beyond reputebouncer7 has a reputation beyond reputebouncer7 has a reputation beyond reputebouncer7 has a reputation beyond reputebouncer7 has a reputation beyond reputebouncer7 has a reputation beyond reputebouncer7 has a reputation beyond repute

does any marathon man has holes in his shoes and blood on socks.guess no.
But its not that marathon is so easy, probably harder than 99,9% of tennis matches

but if we compare it would be:

Djodal >>>> Marathon >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> random tennis match >>>>>> Fedal

Djokovic Nadal Ferrer Murray Del Potro

race list

FEDAL RIVALRY = >>>CLICK<<<

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloren View Post
Fraud's luck is absolutely disgusting.
bouncer7 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 05:04 PM   #51
country flag MariaV

MariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2003 View Post
Thats just runners. Top cyclists, rowers, touch rugby players, and even swimmers are no doubt fitter than top tennis players. Without a doubt most players on every national field hockey team would be too. And footballers. The play moves so fast, they do not get rest at all. At all. One halftime and thats it. Truth be told there are thousands of athletes around the world "fitter" than our tennis top 10.

The key to remember is the race isnt really that hard. Its the training thats harder. A lot of Kayakers I knew who were not even world class used to just come home and pass out at times. Every ounce of energy they had went into training.
I doubt that. Tennis players are among the most versatile athletes, needing both speed and endurance, explosive speed starting and stopping movement all the time, it's so much different that running a marathon at equal pace all the time, plus the technical and mental part of the game.
Football players, LMFAO, field hockey. The players stand on the pitch quite a lot, not willing to move their arses.
Old 02-15-2012, 05:07 PM   #52
country flag Deathless Mortal
♤23♤

Deathless Mortal has a reputation beyond reputeDeathless Mortal has a reputation beyond reputeDeathless Mortal has a reputation beyond reputeDeathless Mortal has a reputation beyond reputeDeathless Mortal has a reputation beyond reputeDeathless Mortal has a reputation beyond reputeDeathless Mortal has a reputation beyond reputeDeathless Mortal has a reputation beyond reputeDeathless Mortal has a reputation beyond reputeDeathless Mortal has a reputation beyond reputeDeathless Mortal has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bouncer7 View Post

But its not that marathon is so easy, probably harder than 99,9% of tennis matches

Djodal >>>> Marathon >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> random tennis match >>>>>> Fedal
Only because you haven't seen a picture of a bloody sock of any marathon man, that doesn't mean it doesn't happen

"a kad me opet gore vrati zahvalit' ću Mu prvo
što nam je dao komad zemlje što je za sebe sačuv'o"
Deathless Mortal is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 07:54 PM   #53
country flag Clydey
Cutedey

Clydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond repute

Obviously a marathon.
Clydey is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 08:01 PM   #54
country flag Dougie

Dougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bouncer7 View Post

Blood on sokcs is mild. Some marathon runners have in their urine after a hard run.
Dougie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 09:31 PM   #55
country flag 2003

2003 has a reputation beyond repute2003 has a reputation beyond repute2003 has a reputation beyond repute2003 has a reputation beyond repute2003 has a reputation beyond repute2003 has a reputation beyond repute2003 has a reputation beyond repute2003 has a reputation beyond repute2003 has a reputation beyond repute2003 has a reputation beyond repute2003 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MariaV View Post
I doubt that. Tennis players are among the most versatile athletes, needing both speed and endurance, explosive speed starting and stopping movement all the time, it's so much different that running a marathon at equal pace all the time, plus the technical and mental part of the game.
Football players, LMFAO, field hockey. The players stand on the pitch quite a lot, not willing to move their arses.
It depends on your definition of fit.

To me fit means your aerobic and anerobic capacity.

In other words something like comparing your V02 Max.

The runners and cyclists vo2 max would be vastly superior to Tennis players.

Lance Armstrong, and a few runners have actually completed the beep test. I guarantee no pro tennis players would get close, even though its more suited to them.

And yes, world class Field Hocky players are easilly as fit and probably fitter than our tennis top 10. Easilly.

I play competitive hockey. There is NO breaks. None at all, and matches are played in the space of 1 or 2 days. The only break you get is half time. There is no chance during regular play to catch much of a breath like you get in tennis.

You also dont see any GUTS at all.

In the tennis top 100 theres some players carrying a lot of extra baggage.

- Rafael Nadal, ever so "humble", - press conference after shock 4 set loss to Robeen Soderling @ 2009 French Open 4th round.

Proud member of the Anti Dull Alliance
2003 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 09:36 PM   #56
country flag 2003

2003 has a reputation beyond repute2003 has a reputation beyond repute2003 has a reputation beyond repute2003 has a reputation beyond repute2003 has a reputation beyond repute2003 has a reputation beyond repute2003 has a reputation beyond repute2003 has a reputation beyond repute2003 has a reputation beyond repute2003 has a reputation beyond repute2003 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssin View Post
@2003 the question is: what is harder? How many people have finished marathon successfully, achieving great times? How many people did on the tennis court what we saw? I had never seen something similar. When I watch marathon I don't fear that runners will completely destroy themselves. That match - I wanted it to stop before someone gets really hurt. Who is fitter - that should be another question, still I would guess Novak and Rafa are fit enough to be compared to other top athletes in the world right now.
Thats more because tennis requries much more skill and tallent than running.

In other words, to be a great runner you need great genetics. You need good speed and good running form, and you drill those somewhat.

But the rest of it is pretty much JUST FITNESS.

Anyone can run a marathon in a good time if they dedicate themselves to it.

No matter how hard 98% of people tried, they could never emulate what Djokdal did because, they wouldnt be able to get the balls back in play no matter how fit they are

- Rafael Nadal, ever so "humble", - press conference after shock 4 set loss to Robeen Soderling @ 2009 French Open 4th round.

Old 02-15-2012, 09:39 PM   #57
country flag 2003

And for the record, the recent 2011 outdoor field hockey world cup was played in my hometown at the same stadium as the social league I play in, I checked out a lot of the games.

You want to see what fit is, check those guys out.

Field is the same size as a football field and its 11 on 11. Its just all running the whole time, and the game moves incredibly fast.

Also, the Australian Rules AFL players are also insanely fit. They cover plenty more milage in their games then tennis players do, most of it very fast running or sprinting.

Old 02-15-2012, 10:02 PM   #58
country flag stewietennis

stewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2003 View Post
Get it? These guys dont get a day off. Ever. Except when they injured, though they hit the pool and bike then.

Djokovic covered 5.5KM in 6 hours in the final of AO.

Mostly a mix of sprinting and jogging.

Marathoners tapering off period included a lot of anerobic drills.

One in particular is a sharpening exercise a lot of middle distance runners do. Where they sprint-run-sprint-run for 50M on 50M off a 5km run.

Lasse Viren used to do 5KM sprinting and running sprinting and running;

in just over 13 minutes.

Anyone know the 5KM record is less than 13 freaking minutes? Its 12 minutres 45 seconds!

Thats pretty much sprinting all the way. Well as fast as we sprint!

These guys can do 400M in under 48 seconds. Easilly.

The top 5000M runners are all going at least 13 minute 5K. These hundreds of them that can run under 14 minutes. Thousands worlwide actually.

Sorry to inject a bit of common sense forcefully here.

Djokovic did 5.3KM in 6 hours.

Lasse Viren sprinted and fast ran it regularly with no breaks, in less than 14 minutes.

Think about that one.
Just no. No one "easily" runs 400m in 48 seconds. Sprinter Michael Johnson took over 43 seconds (with exertion) to run 400m in the Olympics. If your aforementioned guys can run it "easily" in 48 seconds, they would all be sprint record holders.

Endurance =/= Fitter. Is a marathon runner then fitter than a boxer, sprinter, gymnast or basketball player? How do you define fitness? Endurance plays a part. As does strength, stamina, speed, agility and dexterity. I tell you, put Gebresellise next to Pacquiao and more people will say Manny is the fitter of the two because he ticks more of the boxes that define fitness. Tennis players are closer to basketball players in terms of fitness (short bursts of speed, direction change, agility, aiming, reacting immediately to changes in play, breaks – when fouled and half time)

Pit a marathon runner against Djokovic in a 100m sprint and see who's faster. Pit a marathon runner against Nadal in a wrestling match and see who wins. Pit a marathon runner against Federer in a random sport like basketball, baseball, swimming or skeet shooting and see who does better. Pit a marathon runner against Murray in a cross country run; we all know who will win. Marathon runners do one thing well at the expense of all other attributes. Archers do the same. Weightlifters do the same. Would you say weightlifters are fitter than tennis players?
stewietennis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 11:47 PM   #59
country flag Sham Kay
Lurrrkin'

Sham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond repute

This would be a closer call had the question been, "whats harder, winning a professional marathon or playing 5 sets over 6 hours?" In which case winning a marathon would most likely be harder.

Seeing as success isn't being questioned here, you could have a nice jog over the length of the marathon, something many of us have probably done. Taking on a top professional tennis player in a 5 set match? Get bent. Even in the minuscule likelihood that you're good enough to compete, a 5 sets match is tough enough with the constant running, changes of direction, skills, technical ability required, mental concentration, battling against the toughest of opposition (it's more or less in your control in a marathon, though the mind does need to be strong).

Then you can consider the fitness and stamina necessary.. adding all these aspects together even a 4 or 5 hour 5 set match is far tougher than a marathon - something ordinary folk regularly take on.
Sham Kay is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 12:08 AM   #60
country flag 2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewietennis View Post
Pit a marathon runner against Djokovic in a 100m sprint and see who's faster.
Might be closer than youd think.

And your right, 48-49 seconds 400M "easilly" is an exageration.

But remember, in 400M, the diff between 43 seconds and 49 is like light and day.

In the longer track races the are doing laps around 50-52 seconds, so one rep of 49 seconds isnt that tough for them.

Last edited by 2003 : 02-16-2012 at 12:21 AM.