Whats harder running a marethon or playing 5 sets over 6 hours? - Page 3 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 02-14-2012, 10:25 PM   #31
country flag ssin

ssin has a reputation beyond reputessin has a reputation beyond reputessin has a reputation beyond reputessin has a reputation beyond reputessin has a reputation beyond reputessin has a reputation beyond reputessin has a reputation beyond reputessin has a reputation beyond reputessin has a reputation beyond reputessin has a reputation beyond reputessin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Whats harder running a marethon or playing 5 sets over 6 hours?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathless Mortal View Post
Yes, but that's 2 hours of constant, exhausting running. 6 hours of a tennis match is a lot less hours of tennis. Plus you even get a chance to get some rest and recuperate after every 2 games, and some players () take a lot of time between the points to get more energy.
I have watched marathons, watched tennis matches, ran longer tracks (not a marathon though) and played some tennis. I'm into swimming as well. You may be right generally, but if we talk about that particular match it was more exhausting and demanding then any marathon, imo. when you run, you set your own pace and breathing, you can also drink water and refresh, you can clear your mind, only thing to think about is how to preserve and distribute energy. In top tennis game you must do the same but beside that you are constantly on alert, you have a real opponent in front of you, your concentration must be high throughout the match, you have to anticipate a lot and you move in 3D, your shoulders and joints are under much more strain. You can prepare for that but not in the way you can prepare to run marathon. That thing we saw was harder than a marathon, but that's just my opinion. Anyway, in order to really compare things we should translate them into something comparable first.
ssin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2012, 11:24 PM   #32
country flag Asadinator

Asadinator has a reputation beyond reputeAsadinator has a reputation beyond reputeAsadinator has a reputation beyond reputeAsadinator has a reputation beyond reputeAsadinator has a reputation beyond reputeAsadinator has a reputation beyond reputeAsadinator has a reputation beyond reputeAsadinator has a reputation beyond reputeAsadinator has a reputation beyond reputeAsadinator has a reputation beyond reputeAsadinator has a reputation beyond repute

The fact that tennis players must be both talented and fit, you would think that they cannot be as fit as the sport which only requires you to be fit.

Hence marathon.
Asadinator is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 03:54 AM   #33
country flag 2003

2003 has a reputation beyond repute2003 has a reputation beyond repute2003 has a reputation beyond repute2003 has a reputation beyond repute2003 has a reputation beyond repute2003 has a reputation beyond repute2003 has a reputation beyond repute2003 has a reputation beyond repute2003 has a reputation beyond repute2003 has a reputation beyond repute2003 has a reputation beyond repute

Djokovic and Nadal only ran about 5-5.5KM each in that final.

Mind you a lot of that is sprinting.

BUT;

it's over a 6 hour period.

Dont be demeaning here, Marathon at the top level is just...insane.

Those Kenyans been running 160KM a WEEK since they about 5 years old. Barefoot in the hills of Kenya and Africa.

Those guys are so gaunt. They have no bodyfat. They are about 55KG ringing wet at the most. Most tennis players top 4 are over 80-85KGs.

Dont be a freaking dickwad.

Marathoners are 10X more fit. Pro ones anyway.

Even 1500M runners are 10X more fit.

Its not even close.

- Rafael Nadal, ever so "humble", - press conference after shock 4 set loss to Robeen Soderling @ 2009 French Open 4th round.

Proud member of the Anti Dull Alliance
2003 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 04:08 AM   #34
country flag Snoo Foo

Snoo Foo has a reputation beyond reputeSnoo Foo has a reputation beyond reputeSnoo Foo has a reputation beyond reputeSnoo Foo has a reputation beyond reputeSnoo Foo has a reputation beyond reputeSnoo Foo has a reputation beyond reputeSnoo Foo has a reputation beyond reputeSnoo Foo has a reputation beyond reputeSnoo Foo has a reputation beyond reputeSnoo Foo has a reputation beyond reputeSnoo Foo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by FedvsNole View Post
Your an idiot.
this
Snoo Foo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 04:15 AM   #35
country flag SaFed2005

SaFed2005 has a reputation beyond reputeSaFed2005 has a reputation beyond reputeSaFed2005 has a reputation beyond reputeSaFed2005 has a reputation beyond reputeSaFed2005 has a reputation beyond reputeSaFed2005 has a reputation beyond reputeSaFed2005 has a reputation beyond reputeSaFed2005 has a reputation beyond reputeSaFed2005 has a reputation beyond reputeSaFed2005 has a reputation beyond reputeSaFed2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathless Mortal View Post
Just imagine Djokovic and Nadal running a marathon. Would they finish it? Sure. After a few days. Why? Because of toweling off after every few meters, taking injury time-outs and resting every now and again.
LOL
SaFed2005 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 07:12 AM   #36
country flag duong

duong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond repute

It's two very different efforts, it's impossible to compare.

I don't think anybody here underrates the effort in AO final because people usually have practiced tennis in competition. How many here have practiced marathon in competition and with a real will to achieve a great performance ? Only these people could say, I guess.

I have a colleague who runs marathons in competition and tries to improve by one minute over 3 hours comparing to his previous performance : I guess he knows about marathon effort. But he doesn't know about tennis effort as a competitor unfortunately.

But the only fact that this thread exists makes me think again that when people talk about a tennis match so much from the physical point of view and about how extreme it is,

all of the arguments about "tennis being a technical sport different from cycling and track and field sports" then with a lesser need for an anti-doping check,

are completely non-sense now. These arguments were only worth maybe before the 60s.

Tennis needs to be checked for doping as much as these sports, which is not at all the case now.
Old 02-15-2012, 08:40 AM   #37
country flag Alex999

Alex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond repute

interesting thread... tennis is much tougher than running. when you play your opponent you have to think about every point....and yeah, you have to run too. INHO, tennis is the most beautiful sport in the world. w

lol at a guy who said that Nadal and Nole would need a towel after every few meters if they would be running marathon. too funny.
Alex999 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 08:51 AM   #38
country flag 2003

2003 has a reputation beyond repute2003 has a reputation beyond repute2003 has a reputation beyond repute2003 has a reputation beyond repute2003 has a reputation beyond repute2003 has a reputation beyond repute2003 has a reputation beyond repute2003 has a reputation beyond repute2003 has a reputation beyond repute2003 has a reputation beyond repute2003 has a reputation beyond repute

This is just plain stupidity.

Is anyone in this thread seriously trying to suggest our tennis top four are as fit as the top four Marathoners in this world?

Okay, too fucking funny.

Let me give you a lesson.

Guys like Halle Gebresellise, guys like Paul Tergat.

These guys are no more than 50KG RINGING WET.

The run 200KM a week in training. Some of them more.

Lasse Viren, the greatest 10 000 metre runner ever, was all prick and ribs. You take the shirts off these guys, there is nothing there. They have no bodyfat. They are aerobic machines. All the do is run.

They are at least 10X fitter than tennis players. Guaranteed easily.

People used to say this shit about Lance Armstrong (who is also 10x fitter than tennis top four). Say oh he could run a 2 hour 6 marathon easy. What happened? He barely broke 3 hours.

Show some damn respect. Tennis players dont own everything.

Its the same for milers too. 10 000 metre runners. 5000M runners. Even 800 and 1500M runners. They train largely the same.

They are fitness machines, and are 10x fitter than tennis players could ever hope to be.

They run the equivillent of at least 4 Marathons a week in training.

And hey, a rest day for them is 2 runs instead of 3. Many have to actually sleep multiple times a day just to get 3 runs in.

Running a marathon aint so tough.

Racing one is. And thats what you people are forgetting.

So please, dont insult other sports with this rubbish.

- Rafael Nadal, ever so "humble", - press conference after shock 4 set loss to Robeen Soderling @ 2009 French Open 4th round.

Old 02-15-2012, 08:59 AM   #39
country flag 2003

Get it? These guys dont get a day off. Ever. Except when they injured, though they hit the pool and bike then.

Djokovic covered 5.5KM in 6 hours in the final of AO.

Mostly a mix of sprinting and jogging.

Marathoners tapering off period included a lot of anerobic drills.

One in particular is a sharpening exercise a lot of middle distance runners do. Where they sprint-run-sprint-run for 50M on 50M off a 5km run.

Lasse Viren used to do 5KM sprinting and running sprinting and running;

in just over 13 minutes.

Anyone know the 5KM record is less than 13 freaking minutes? Its 12 minutres 45 seconds!

Thats pretty much sprinting all the way. Well as fast as we sprint!

These guys can do 400M in under 48 seconds. Easilly.

The top 5000M runners are all going at least 13 minute 5K. These hundreds of them that can run under 14 minutes. Thousands worlwide actually.

Sorry to inject a bit of common sense forcefully here.

Djokovic did 5.3KM in 6 hours.

Lasse Viren sprinted and fast ran it regularly with no breaks, in less than 14 minutes.

Think about that one.

Old 02-15-2012, 09:04 AM   #40
country flag 2003

Andy Murray has even said himself that how he got fit was doing track running drills.

He said the tennis felt easier than the track drills.

Guess what, all pro runners do those. Even Marathoners. You have to be very fast to be a world class marathoner.

200-400M repeats. Two hours of those drills are far tougher than any tennis match ever played. Its just a fact.

Old 02-15-2012, 09:47 AM   #41
country flag 2003

5-6 years ago I was very into running.

I wasnt good enough to be national class, but I knew a lot of guys who were, and trust me when I say this, I know at least 200 Runners in my country alone that are without a doubt fitter than Nadal, Djoko Fed or Murray. They are on a whole other planet.

People need to remember, from 1500 to Marathon, they train largely the same. Its only the sharpening thats different, the quantity of speed work.

They dont give a damn about finishing a Marathon. Most of these guys sunday long run every week is actually longer than a Marathon, sometimes 50KM+.

They are trying to "race" the marathon. Thats the key difference.

To the person who said lots of people who do marathons couldnt finish 5 sets in 6 hours, they COULD if the level of the person playing them was relative to them.

Thats just runners. Top cyclists, rowers, touch rugby players, and even swimmers are no doubt fitter than top tennis players. Without a doubt most players on every national field hockey team would be too. And footballers. The play moves so fast, they do not get rest at all. At all. One halftime and thats it. Truth be told there are thousands of athletes around the world "fitter" than our tennis top 10.

The key to remember is the race isnt really that hard. Its the training thats harder. A lot of Kayakers I knew who were not even world class used to just come home and pass out at times. Every ounce of energy they had went into training.

Old 02-15-2012, 09:57 AM   #42
country flag MariaV

MariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond repute

OK have you finshed now 2003? Thanks.
Old 02-15-2012, 10:04 AM   #43
country flag duong

duong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MariaV View Post
OK have you finshed now 2003? Thanks.
at least he gave some informations from somebody who really knows what marathon is about

That was interesting, most of us know tennis but many of us don't know about that
Old 02-15-2012, 10:06 AM   #44
country flag ssin

ssin has a reputation beyond reputessin has a reputation beyond reputessin has a reputation beyond reputessin has a reputation beyond reputessin has a reputation beyond reputessin has a reputation beyond reputessin has a reputation beyond reputessin has a reputation beyond reputessin has a reputation beyond reputessin has a reputation beyond reputessin has a reputation beyond repute

@2003 the question is: what is harder? How many people have finished marathon successfully, achieving great times? How many people did on the tennis court what we saw? I had never seen something similar. When I watch marathon I don't fear that runners will completely destroy themselves. That match - I wanted it to stop before someone gets really hurt. Who is fitter - that should be another question, still I would guess Novak and Rafa are fit enough to be compared to other top athletes in the world right now.
ssin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 10:08 AM   #45
country flag Felipe Abe

Felipe Abe has a reputation beyond reputeFelipe Abe has a reputation beyond reputeFelipe Abe has a reputation beyond reputeFelipe Abe has a reputation beyond reputeFelipe Abe has a reputation beyond reputeFelipe Abe has a reputation beyond reputeFelipe Abe has a reputation beyond reputeFelipe Abe has a reputation beyond reputeFelipe Abe has a reputation beyond reputeFelipe Abe has a reputation beyond reputeFelipe Abe has a reputation beyond repute

I think playing 5 sets over 6 hours its harder cause it envolves mental not only physical

Juan-Martín Del Potro ; Gael Monfils ; Roger Federer ; Kei Nishikori

Andrea Petkovic ; Victoria Azarenka ; Tsvetana Pironkova ; Eugenie Bouchard
Felipe Abe is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote