Whats harder running a marethon or playing 5 sets over 6 hours? - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 02-14-2012, 11:09 AM   #16
country flag buzz

buzz has a reputation beyond reputebuzz has a reputation beyond reputebuzz has a reputation beyond reputebuzz has a reputation beyond reputebuzz has a reputation beyond reputebuzz has a reputation beyond reputebuzz has a reputation beyond reputebuzz has a reputation beyond reputebuzz has a reputation beyond reputebuzz has a reputation beyond reputebuzz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Whats harder running a marethon or playing 5 sets over 6 hours?

I think playing a 6 hour match with all the breaks where you can drink and eat and rest a little is a lot healthier than running a marathon in just above 2 hours. Those marathon guys need a lot longer to get back in to shape.

Is it more impressive? For me it's equally impressive, 1 guy is just fitter than his competition.
buzz is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2012, 11:57 AM   #17
country flag MaxPower

MaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond repute

Taking 30sec+ between points + the other breaks and 6 hours of tennis isn't that impressive. Only way you would cramp is if you push yourself too hard. Mentally you could stay quite fresh with all the rest and if you refuel some and drink enough the body should hold up good as well.

Marathon is harder but there are other great endurance challenges too. If you want a real challenge what about the 90km cross country ski race every year in Sweden called Vasaloppet. Now that's a killer and not only your legs go but your arms as well. Or a triathlon.

Point is endurance wise tennis holds nothing on marathons and other "no-rest" challenges. In tennis you can always get that lactic acid away if you need to. Good luck with that in a marathon where you can never stop and rest (if professional)
MaxPower is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 03:50 PM   #18
country flag Deathless Mortal
♤23♤

Deathless Mortal has a reputation beyond reputeDeathless Mortal has a reputation beyond reputeDeathless Mortal has a reputation beyond reputeDeathless Mortal has a reputation beyond reputeDeathless Mortal has a reputation beyond reputeDeathless Mortal has a reputation beyond reputeDeathless Mortal has a reputation beyond reputeDeathless Mortal has a reputation beyond reputeDeathless Mortal has a reputation beyond reputeDeathless Mortal has a reputation beyond reputeDeathless Mortal has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssin View Post
playing 6 hours of top tennis is harder, no doubt. What we saw was an extraordinary display of endurance, mental and physical strength. When you run, at least you can relax mentally. If we talk only about strain on the body, again 6 hours of top tennis > marathon. My assessment is that it equals 1.5 marathons. It takes just above 2 hours for a top runner to finish marathon.
Yes, but that's 2 hours of constant, exhausting running. 6 hours of a tennis match is a lot less hours of tennis. Plus you even get a chance to get some rest and recuperate after every 2 games, and some players () take a lot of time between the points to get more energy.

"a kad me opet gore vrati zahvalit' ću Mu prvo
što nam je dao komad zemlje što je za sebe sačuv'o"
Deathless Mortal is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 03:56 PM   #19
country flag Dougie

Dougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond repute

There is no definitive answer. It depends on what kind of marathon you run ( whether you go for a record time or just jog), or what kind of match the 6-hour battle is. And of course, what is the athletes conditioning like to begin with.
Dougie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 03:58 PM   #20
country flag Deathless Mortal
♤23♤

Deathless Mortal has a reputation beyond reputeDeathless Mortal has a reputation beyond reputeDeathless Mortal has a reputation beyond reputeDeathless Mortal has a reputation beyond reputeDeathless Mortal has a reputation beyond reputeDeathless Mortal has a reputation beyond reputeDeathless Mortal has a reputation beyond reputeDeathless Mortal has a reputation beyond reputeDeathless Mortal has a reputation beyond reputeDeathless Mortal has a reputation beyond reputeDeathless Mortal has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougie View Post
There is no definitive answer. It depends on what kind of marathon you run ( whether you go for a record time or just jog), or what kind of match the 6-hour battle is. And of course, what is the athletes conditioning like to begin with.
Djokovic-Nadal AO final vs World record marathon-man contender

"a kad me opet gore vrati zahvalit' ću Mu prvo
što nam je dao komad zemlje što je za sebe sačuv'o"
Deathless Mortal is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 04:31 PM   #21
country flag 1stserveace

1stserveace has a reputation beyond repute1stserveace has a reputation beyond repute1stserveace has a reputation beyond repute1stserveace has a reputation beyond repute1stserveace has a reputation beyond repute1stserveace has a reputation beyond repute1stserveace has a reputation beyond repute1stserveace has a reputation beyond repute1stserveace has a reputation beyond repute1stserveace has a reputation beyond repute1stserveace has a reputation beyond repute

Ok maybe I'm biased since tennis is my sport and the question is a little ambiguous.

Whatever the answer my point was most people do not give tennis the respect it deserves. Most people that play tennis do not play at a high enough level to feel what it's like to hit a 30 ball rally. I'm sure many people on this forum don't know what it feels like to hit a ball 30 or 40 times as hard as you can just to win 1 point! Let me tell you, it's fricken hard!

The majority of people you see playing hit the ball 3 or 4 times then an error occurs and the point ends. This, I agree, takes much less effort then running 3 or 4 miles for example.
Also anyone can run and push themselves to their limit. Whatever their level they will get tired because running takes no skill, just run.
In tennis that is impossible because unless your good enough to hit the ball more then 10 times in a rally you won't feel whats its like to get pushed and pulled for 5 hours...for the record I've never played 5 hours, 3 was my max and I was dead after!

We will never know the answer to this question but I was happy when my "non-tennis Fan" friends were texting me at 7am (west coast) going "did you see that match! Amazing!"..people were talking about it for days.
I knew tennis just got a very needed boost and hopefully gained some new fans.
1stserveace is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 04:37 PM   #22
country flag r2473

r2473 has a reputation beyond reputer2473 has a reputation beyond reputer2473 has a reputation beyond reputer2473 has a reputation beyond reputer2473 has a reputation beyond reputer2473 has a reputation beyond reputer2473 has a reputation beyond reputer2473 has a reputation beyond reputer2473 has a reputation beyond reputer2473 has a reputation beyond reputer2473 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathless Mortal View Post
If the question is which of these two is more physically demanding, the answer is the marathon.

Which is "harder"? Well, few people in history have trained up to either of these levels in either sport, so I'd say they are both pretty hard. Impossible levels in fact for all but a gifted, hard working few.
r2473 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 04:55 PM   #23
country flag Sapeod
77 years later...

Sapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond repute

A marathon is obviously harder Nadal and Djokovic's crappy match didn't need anywhere near the physical demands that a marathon requires.

SLAMS: 2 WINS, 5 finals, 7 semi-finals, 6 quarter-finals...
MASTERS: 9 WINS, 3 finals, 8 semi-finals, 15 quarter-finals...
WTF: 3 semi-finals...
OLYMPICS: 1 gold, 1 silver...
CAREER PRIZE MONEY: $31,928,448 (5th of all time)
MATCH WIN/LOSS: 453-142...
TITLES: 28 and counting...
Sapeod is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 05:02 PM   #24
country flag kyleskywalker007

kyleskywalker007 has a reputation beyond reputekyleskywalker007 has a reputation beyond reputekyleskywalker007 has a reputation beyond reputekyleskywalker007 has a reputation beyond reputekyleskywalker007 has a reputation beyond reputekyleskywalker007 has a reputation beyond reputekyleskywalker007 has a reputation beyond reputekyleskywalker007 has a reputation beyond reputekyleskywalker007 has a reputation beyond reputekyleskywalker007 has a reputation beyond reputekyleskywalker007 has a reputation beyond repute

Funny no one has mentioned it yet, but the most important thing here is that a marathon is an aerobic excercise, while tennis is definetely an anaerobic one.
Aerobic excercises allow for more rhythm and it is a medium-sized effort through a long period of time.
Anaerobic excercises on the other hand require a series of tougher efforts over a short period of time.

It it is to be noted that, say, 2 hours of anaerobic excercises is way harder than 2 hours of aerobic ones. I wouldn´t know what the effort ratio is for each but there´s no doubt that ,pund by pund, anaerobic is tougher.

For instance, 100 meters of track race (speeding), which is an anaerobic excercise, requires much more energy than 100 meters in a maraton.

AO '04 '06 '07 '10
RG '09
Wimby '03 '04 '05 '06 '07 '09 '12
USO '04 '05 '06 '07 '08
WTF ´03 ´04 ´06 ´07 ´10 ´11

PonyBoy '09 US Open Champion
kyleskywalker007 is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 05:16 PM   #25
country flag FedvsNole

FedvsNole has a reputation beyond reputeFedvsNole has a reputation beyond reputeFedvsNole has a reputation beyond reputeFedvsNole has a reputation beyond reputeFedvsNole has a reputation beyond reputeFedvsNole has a reputation beyond reputeFedvsNole has a reputation beyond reputeFedvsNole has a reputation beyond reputeFedvsNole has a reputation beyond reputeFedvsNole has a reputation beyond reputeFedvsNole has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stserveace View Post
THis is a portion of one of my blog posts which I can't mention on here but wanted some opinions from this forum. What do you think?

I have always said that tennis does not get the respect it deserves for being one of the most physically demanding professional sports one can play. Thankfully our sport has finals like the one we had last week at the Australian Open that went 6 hours and 5 sets. This final definitely changed a few minds about the demands of men's pro tennis and hopefully gained a few new fans at the same time.

But lets analyze this, what other sport puts 2 men through such agony that they can't stand through the trophy presentation? Boxing or MMA? OK I'll give you that one, although Nadal's forehand might feel like a punch in the face.

But seriously, running a marathon? The pro's run those in their sleep... barefoot! Marathons have a starting point and finish line. The runners are not reacting to the actions of another, their fate is in their hands, or feet if you will.

But lets take a marathon as an example. 26.2 miles run by a pro in about 2 hours.

Nadal and Djokovic had run 29 miles combined at 2-2 in the 5th set. This means by the end of the match each player would have run approx. 16 miles. Yes that's 16 miles of side to side sprints while at the same time stopping to hit a ball traveling at 70MPH and kicking off the court like and angry donkey.

Keep in mind each player had run approximitly 13 miles just 2 nights before in their prior matches. Hard to determine the exact distance but using some basic math I estimate in the 7 matches needed to win a major, the finalist will run over 60 miles in the 2 week event. Impressive at every level. I'm not trying to get people to like tennis just respect it.

Your an idiot. Go back and look at the damn stat. That's how much they had run for the entire tournament including and up to at 2-2 in the 5th set. This isn't even a debate. So in 7 matches at least till 2-2 in the fifth set of the final:

Total tournamnet distance run
1. Djokovic : 15.79
2. Nadal: 13.83

Here's a picture with the stat from the match in question: http://www.quora.com/How-many-km-mil...ian-Open-Final

/thread
FedvsNole is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 05:17 PM   #26
country flag green25814

green25814 has a reputation beyond reputegreen25814 has a reputation beyond reputegreen25814 has a reputation beyond reputegreen25814 has a reputation beyond reputegreen25814 has a reputation beyond reputegreen25814 has a reputation beyond reputegreen25814 has a reputation beyond reputegreen25814 has a reputation beyond reputegreen25814 has a reputation beyond reputegreen25814 has a reputation beyond reputegreen25814 has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, depends on how hard you run the marathon and what type of tennis match you are playing.

Federer - The Artist
Murray - The Tactician
Nalbandian - The Ballstriker
Llodra - The S/V
green25814 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 05:24 PM   #27
country flag Jamoz

Jamoz has a reputation beyond reputeJamoz has a reputation beyond reputeJamoz has a reputation beyond reputeJamoz has a reputation beyond reputeJamoz has a reputation beyond reputeJamoz has a reputation beyond reputeJamoz has a reputation beyond reputeJamoz has a reputation beyond reputeJamoz has a reputation beyond reputeJamoz has a reputation beyond reputeJamoz has a reputation beyond repute

Marathon in top level easily, the speed they run is amazing. And how tough is marathon? It's so tough that runners shit in their pants occasionally(and i'm not kidding)
Jamoz is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 06:00 PM   #28
country flag Dougie

Dougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathless Mortal View Post
And how do you compare these two? The marathon runner will never know how tough the other accomplishment is, and vice versa. We can only speculate.
Dougie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 06:03 PM   #29
country flag Branimir

Branimir has a reputation beyond reputeBranimir has a reputation beyond reputeBranimir has a reputation beyond reputeBranimir has a reputation beyond reputeBranimir has a reputation beyond reputeBranimir has a reputation beyond reputeBranimir has a reputation beyond reputeBranimir has a reputation beyond reputeBranimir has a reputation beyond reputeBranimir has a reputation beyond reputeBranimir has a reputation beyond repute

http://edition.cnn.com/2011/SPORT/02...365/index.html

That's how hard is to run a marathon.

But what are we asking here? What is harder in calories burned per hour? Total calories burned? Mental fatigue?

Last edited by Branimir : 02-14-2012 at 06:10 PM.
Branimir is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 08:05 PM   #30
country flag wally1

wally1 has a reputation beyond reputewally1 has a reputation beyond reputewally1 has a reputation beyond reputewally1 has a reputation beyond reputewally1 has a reputation beyond reputewally1 has a reputation beyond reputewally1 has a reputation beyond reputewally1 has a reputation beyond reputewally1 has a reputation beyond reputewally1 has a reputation beyond reputewally1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamoz View Post
Marathon in top level easily, the speed they run is amazing. And how tough is marathon? It's so tough that runners shit in their pants occasionally(and i'm not kidding)
True, jogging a marathon (as the vast majority of people who run one do) is hard enough, but I've seen the leaders running in the London marathon a few times - they speed they go to complete one in around 2 hrs is staggering.
wally1 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote