Young Players that can challenge Roger? - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Which of these is most likely to pose a threat to Federer in the near future?

Gael Monfils 0 0%
Richard Gasquet 44 43.14%
Rafael Nadal 48 47.06%
Thomas Berdych 10 9.80%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-13-2005, 05:26 PM   #1
country flag prima donna
Banned!

prima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Young Players that can challenge Roger?

Let's be serious ... no old man is going to knock Roger off his pedastool (one which he has earned to sit on and reign as the King Of Tennis)

So, which of the youngsters has the game to possibly trouble Roger in the future ?

I'd say, in this particular order:
1). Gasquet
- Beautiful one-handed backhand, just so carefree and loose. Made some shots that I've only seen Roger make (in a losing effort to Ginperi), this guy offers the entire package.
His forehand is high quality.
Backhand is superb.
He has power, precision and is fearless as a lion. His only potential weakness could be, a lack of variety and his serve could use some improvement ... which will come along as his body matures ... he is still quite young and not done growing in height & his shoulders will get a tad wider as well. Most of all, Gasquet is a FAST court player. If he actually had a good serve, we could be looking at a rival for Federer ... ON GRASS & HARD COURTS!
2). Monfils
I think that Gael Monfils is filled with potential and could end up being a combination of Marat Safin / Andy Roddick, Andy Roddick's power, Marat's body, flexibility and strength, also his variety. Monfils' game could use a little maturing, he should add in a few slices and play points more patiently. He stands 10 feet behind the baseline, plays too much like clay points, needs to utilize his strength, step inside the baseline ... take the ball off the rise. The only thing that could get in his way is a lack of mental strength, which showed after Djokovic was able to con him this 1st US Open ... experience teaches all however. The only way to beat Roger is using power and precision, which is what Marat was able to do in Australia ... Monfils has it.
3). Nadal
Nadal is Roger's NEW Nalbandian, i don't see this kid as much trouble ... honestly. Roger played terrible tennis and nearly had him in a 5th set, until being forced to play in the dark ... which was unfair to him ... all excuses aside ... Nadal won "fair and square" , but the gap between Nadal & Fedex is small ... if there is one ... it's to Federer's advantage ... I don't see why many believe Nadal to be so much trouble for Roger ... they've played 1 time when he had heat stroke, another time on an extremely slow surface in Miami and in Paris, where Federer nearly took it to a 5th set even with 60 UFE ... if he cleans up his play and improvises his strategy on clay a tad bit ... possibly improve net play also ... why could he not dominate Nadal ? I just don't see it, I'm sorry. I know everyone wants to create a rival for Roger, but Nadal isn't the one ... he's a young Carlos Moya ... I'd still go with Roger ... ON ANY SURFACE against Nadal.

All of his Top Spin is a tad difficult for Roger to adjust to, but we know our Swiss friend loves a challenge and it's only a short period of time before he begins to dominate their "rivalry"

Realistically speaking, Monfils has the best physical attributes, Gasquet most raw talent, Nadal probably the most mentally strong. It will be interesting to see, but I look forward to Federer V Gasquet in the future for sure ... if you want to take down the King you need to be young & vibrant ... not old and approaching retirement ... no disrespect intended towards Andre.
prima donna is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2005, 05:51 PM   #2
country flag Scotso

Scotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Young Players that can challenge Roger?

All of those will challenge him.

Le Poussin! Faithfully ignoring the haters since 1995.

Le Poulailler de Poussin! (Simontarded.)

Ron Paul for President 2012!
Scotso is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 05:51 PM   #3
country flag vincayou

vincayou has a reputation beyond reputevincayou has a reputation beyond reputevincayou has a reputation beyond reputevincayou has a reputation beyond reputevincayou has a reputation beyond reputevincayou has a reputation beyond reputevincayou has a reputation beyond reputevincayou has a reputation beyond reputevincayou has a reputation beyond reputevincayou has a reputation beyond reputevincayou has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting point of view. But it won't prevent you to be eaten alive by rafatards on this board.
vincayou is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 05:55 PM   #4
country flag Chloe le Bopper

Chloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond repute

Rafa's just lucky that Roger is coincidentally always sick, injured, or cheated when they play. Lighting does strike three times, and don't you ever let anybody tell you otherwise.

Soon, Gasquet will win every match he plays 6-0 6-0, including those over Roger and Rafa.

Chocking makes me sad.
Chloe le Bopper is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 05:56 PM   #5

Chloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincayou
Interesting point of view. But it won't prevent you to be eaten alive by rafatards on this board.
Somebody needs to balance out the Gasquettard who created the thread, yo.

Okay, maybe it was a Monfilstard.

Maybe just a general Frenchtard?

Either way.

Chocking makes me sad.
Old 09-13-2005, 05:57 PM   #6
country flag savesthedizzle
#freeviktor

savesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond repute

They will all challenge him. As well as Djokovic who you have a clear distaste for and therefore did not include in the poll.

savesthedizzle is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 05:58 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by savestheday91
They will all challenge him. As well as Djokovic who you have a clear distaste for and therefore did not include in the poll.

Chocking makes me sad.
Old 09-13-2005, 05:58 PM   #8
country flag Clara Bow

Clara Bow has a reputation beyond reputeClara Bow has a reputation beyond reputeClara Bow has a reputation beyond reputeClara Bow has a reputation beyond reputeClara Bow has a reputation beyond reputeClara Bow has a reputation beyond reputeClara Bow has a reputation beyond reputeClara Bow has a reputation beyond reputeClara Bow has a reputation beyond reputeClara Bow has a reputation beyond reputeClara Bow has a reputation beyond repute

Well- I guess I am Rafatard for saying that one thing that people seem to forget is that Nadal was not playing his best clay court tennis by any means when he played Roger. Yeah- Roger was not playing well, but Nadal was not playing 100% .

I actually think that Rafa's best clay court tennis was during the early rounds of Rome. Uncle Toni even said that Nadal didn't really play as well during the FO as he did during earlier in the clay season.

To answer the question, I think all could challange Roger on different surfaces.

Quote:
Oh yes...Wheezy could be a challange, although I think he will need to improve his lung capacity. Boy needs to start running more often in his training to help with his respiratory problems since they seem to be an ongoing issue.

Last edited by Clara Bow : 09-13-2005 at 06:07 PM.
Clara Bow is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 06:00 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clara Bow
Well- I guess I am Rafatard for saying that one thing that people seem to forget is that Nadal was not playing his best clay court tennis by any means when he played Roger. Yeah- Roger was not playing well, but Nadal was not playing 100% .
Untrue! Rafa was playing his best tennis ever, and Roger was hardly scraping by at 5% of his abilities. Furthermore, Rafa has light rays that shine from his eyes, so he didn't have to deal with the darker conditions like Roger did.

It's been a while

Chocking makes me sad.
Old 09-13-2005, 06:04 PM   #10
country flag prima donna
Banned!

prima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincayou
Well, for sure. I fully expect that.

However, Nadal is all hype as of right now ... he's only proven himself on Clay, but let's not make this thread about Nadal. He's not a complete and all-around player, his game is defense on clay.

Gasquet, Monfils, Berdych bring forth versatility. Once Roger figures Nadal out, what other options does he really have ? None, offense can adjust, defense can't.
prima donna is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 06:05 PM   #11
country flag Castafiore

Castafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond repute

oh boy, this is going to be another one of these threads, isn't it?
Castafiore is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 06:06 PM   #12

Chocking makes me sad.
Old 09-13-2005, 06:06 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castafiore
oh boy, this is going to be another one of these threads, isn't it?
Stupid is as stupid does

Chocking makes me sad.
Old 09-13-2005, 06:07 PM   #14
country flag savesthedizzle
#freeviktor

savesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by myskinaLova
Well, for sure. I fully expect that.

However, Nadal is all hype as of right now ... he's only proven himself on Clay, but let's not make this thread about Nadal. He's not a complete and all-around player, his game is defense on clay.

Gasquet, Monfils, Berdych bring forth versatility. Once Roger figures Nadal out, what other options does he really have ? None, offense can adjust, defense can't.

A lot of players who have only proven themselves on clay would love a hard court TMS shield and another hard court TMS final. :retard:

If you don't want this thread to be all about Nadal, you should not have provided such an obvious answer to your question.

savesthedizzle is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 06:07 PM   #15
country flag Merton

Merton has a reputation beyond reputeMerton has a reputation beyond reputeMerton has a reputation beyond reputeMerton has a reputation beyond reputeMerton has a reputation beyond reputeMerton has a reputation beyond reputeMerton has a reputation beyond reputeMerton has a reputation beyond reputeMerton has a reputation beyond reputeMerton has a reputation beyond reputeMerton has a reputation beyond repute

1. Gasquet has a good serve when he is healthy.
2. All youngsters will improve and adjust their games, it is not easy to predict how their matchup with Roger will evolve. For example, Monfils has obvious technical deficiencies on which he can work on, you cannot make the claim at this time that clay will always be his favourite surface.
3. Excuses and justifications for Roger's loses are easy to come, i can add to what you said that during the Berdych match in Athens it was windy, very hot and Roger felt like committing many unforced errors. According to this logic, Roger's recent match in Hamburg shows how their rivalry will evolve in the next 15 years, no need to consider the Athens match.
4. You forgot to mention Berdych alltogether.
Merton is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote