Team USA - Davis Cup - Page 9 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 01-24-2014, 09:43 PM   #121
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

SapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Team USA - Davis Cup

^ Don't know.

Getting Petco Park ready (San Diego)

Tennis Account: https://twitter.com/ARhyneMoment
Youtube Channel: youtube.com/SapELee485
Rhyne's Picture Thread
Rhyne Williams FB Updates
SapELee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2014, 12:23 AM   #122
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

SapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond repute

Americans, Brits play in the dirt at Petco

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2014/...-andy-murray-/
Quote:
In left-center field at Petco Park, where Carlos Quentin and Cameron Maybin might converge on a gapper (if both miraculously were healthy), a tennis court has surfaced.

The Rolling Stones and Madonna jammed at Petco. “American Idol” contestants auditioned at Petco. International rugby stars kicked tries at Petco.

But next weekend’s Davis Cup match between the United States and Great Britain will represent the first tennis event at the 10-year-old downtown park.

“Tennis inside a ballpark?” said local tennis pro Angel Lopez, who coached former Wimbledon finalist Zina Garrison. “The tennis community is excited.”

Representing the host country, the United States Tennis Association was free to select the surface of its choice. The Americans chose red clay, similar to that at Roland Garros for the French Open.

“Clay is a surface that all four of our guys wanted to play this (match) on,” said U.S. captain Jim Courier.

Singles players John Isner and Sam Querrey, plus the doubles tandem of Mike and Bob Bryan, may have given their thumbs up to clay, but the real reason the Americans opted for red dirt was probably this:

It’s not Andy Murray’s favorite surface.

Ranked fourth in the world, a two-time Grand Slam champion and reigning Wimbledon king, Murray is Great Britain’s best player and the weekend’s marquee draw.

Murray’s winning percentage on grass is 84. Hard courts: 78.

Clay: 61.

Here’s Murray’s semifinal appearances at the Grand Slams: Wimbledon (5), Australian (4); U.S. (3); French (1).

Of Murray’s record on clay and the USTA’s selection of the surface, Bill Kellogg jokingly said, “That may have played a factor.”

Kellogg is president of the La Jolla Beach and Tennis Club, a longtime USTA executive and was instrumental in bringing the Davis Cup to San Diego.

Premier Concepts, Inc., the company hired to build the temporary stands and court, has gone to great lengths to protect the Petco grass.

Fans will see players sliding about on the red clay. Here’s what below the surface:

A woven fabric to protect particles that might seep into the grass; black plastic flooring; another layer of woven fabric; half-inch plywood; 4½ to 5½ inches of crushed stone weighing about 250 tons.

Then comes 1¼ inches of clay, the bulk imported from Imola, Italy, weighing about 75 tons.

“We don’t want to come in with all these foreign materials and have any of that stuff end up in their grass,” said Ed MonteCalvo, consulting services manager for Har Tru, which supplied the materials for the surface. “We took every precaution to keep our material out of their turf.”

One bonus to San Diego hosting the Davis Cup match is that the USTA converted two green clay courts at the Barnes Tennis Center into new red clay courts. The teams will be practicing on them this week.

“That’s meaningful to me, giving back to the community,” said Jeff Ryan, a senior director of team events for the USTA. “These are some of the finest red courts in California.”

By the numbers

250 – Tons of crushed stone, part of the court’s support layering.

75 – Tons of red clay on the court.

$750,000 – Estimated cost to build the court and temporary stands.

8,000 – Seating capacity.

Davis Cup

Great Britain vs. United States

When: Jan. 31-Feb. 2

Where: Petco Park

Format: Best of five matches. Two singles on Friday, beginning at 11 a.m.; one doubles match Saturday (noon); two singles match Sunday (11 a.m.).

TV: Tennis Channel

Info: daviscup.com

Rhyne's Picture Thread
Old 01-28-2014, 08:18 PM   #123
country flag bearitone315

bearitone315 has a reputation beyond reputebearitone315 has a reputation beyond reputebearitone315 has a reputation beyond reputebearitone315 has a reputation beyond reputebearitone315 has a reputation beyond reputebearitone315 has a reputation beyond reputebearitone315 has a reputation beyond reputebearitone315 has a reputation beyond reputebearitone315 has a reputation beyond reputebearitone315 has a reputation beyond reputebearitone315 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearitone315 View Post
Will there be a backup in case Isner or Querrey can go? Like Sock, Harrison, or Young?
Zootennis reports that DY is in San Diego with the Davis Cup team. He is apparently the backup in case Isner or Querrey can't play.
bearitone315 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 08:48 PM   #124
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

DAVIS CUP BY BNP PARIBAS WORLD GROUP FIRST ROUND:GREAT BRITAIN v U.S.A. Press Conference: http://www.asapsports.com/show_interview.php?id=95686

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA

THE MODERATOR: Questions for Captain Courier and the team.

Q. Jim, the court, how is it playing? Typical clay court? Fast? Slow? Dirty? What do you got?

CAPTAIN COURIER: Well, definitely making the socks dirty, which is a good thing. That means it's a real red clay court. It's playing well. It's a beautiful setting. It's a unique setting.
So far the surface, I'm sure they'll work on it a little bit to kind of tweak it for the climate because it's pretty dry here. Maybe ger it a little bit damper because it's a little bit slippery for everyone at the moment.
But they're working on it, and I think it's going to be really wonderful by the time Friday rolls around.

Q. Pretty unique setting, isn't it?

CAPTAIN COURIER: It's incredible. Yeah, it's beautiful.

Q. Maybe just a quick thought on choosing this surface.

CAPTAIN COURIER: The reason we chose the surface are these four guys. That's what they wanted to play on. You know, the unique situation in Davis Cup where we have the option to choose a surface that we're after, and this is first time I think since '92 probably that the U.S. team has chosen to play on clay at home.
We've been put on red clay a bunch when we play overseas, but this time we're choosing to do it. Our results show we actually like the surface and do pretty good on it.

Q. Tipping the hat for the old coach who won a couple Frenches. That's not it?
CAPTAIN COURIER: Yeah, yeah. No, not so much. We're not going back to the to the short, short era.

Q. Does Murray's record on clay have anything to do with the selection of red clay?
CAPTAIN COURIER: Guys, does it?

SAM QUERREY: No, I think it was more about what kind of Captain Courier said, that it was what we were comfortable playing on. We though it was the surface that gave us the best chance. We all have played well on clay in the past.
The object of the tie is to get three wins, and we felt playing an clay was our best chance.

Q. John, talk about the difference of playing Davis Cup. It's not Isner 1, Murray 0; it's United States 1, Great Britain 0. Is that a real thing, just patriotic pride?

JOHN ISNER: Yeah, absolutely. It's something we don't experience too often. At most it happens four times a yea. These weeks don't come 'round all too often.
It's very different from our normal tournament weeks where we're pretty much focused on ourselves.
For me, and I think I can speak for the rest of the team as well ‑ we enjoy these weeks so much because we're not just playing for ourselves. We're playing for teammates and our country. It's a tremendous honor.
It's not necessarily you versus your opponent. It's your country versus their country.

Q. What's the most hostile our maybe difficult environment any of you guys have been in?
Obviously would have been away from the U.S. in Davis Cup.
BOB BRYAN: I would say...
CAPTAIN COURIER: Serbia.
BOB BRYAN: Yeah, Serbia. Belgrade. Going in there to Serbia, you know, packed house, big arena, very passionate fans for their country.
Yeah, just double faults you hear that crowd erupt even in between serves when it's harder to hear what Jim is trying to tell on the sideline. It's like playing in Seattle. It's pretty wild.
But we've had some fun ones over there. We've all played well on the road. Yeah, I mean, we like doing it. We like going out there and just battling 27,000 Spanish fans or whatever it is. It's part of Davis Cup.
Yeah, it brings out of best in you sometimes.

Q. So do the Serbs call it their third man when you're playing doubles?

MIKE BRYAN: Yeah.

Q. A little different setting, Davis Cup tennis. What would you like to hear from your fans as they watch you four play?
MIKE BRYAN: Yeah, we want to hear the noise. We have the Net Heads coming in. They're our cheering section. We hope there's a great crowd. We hope they're pretty boisterous and they give us the support we need.
For Bob and I, we play with a lot of energy and we feed off the crowd. We want to get pumped up and hope they can bring it on Friday, Saturday, Sunday.

Q. How different is it for you to be representing your country rather than of just the two of you out there playing?
MIKE BRYAN: Yeah, it's been a dream for us to play Davis Cup. I mean, to play for your country, your teammates, is something we've always wanted to do. There is extra pressure involved when you're playing for your country, but it's a pressure wet all welcome.
We, Bob and I, we treat these matches like they're Grand Slam finals. When we win a Davis Cup match, we're high for a long time; when we not we lose one, they sting.
That's why we want to win.

Q. Could get damp. Are you guys mudders?

BRYAN BROTHER: We can slosh around a little bit.

Q. John, you're known as being a big sports fan away from tennis. So what order do your favorite teams fall in? Is it Panthers, Georgia, Hurricanes?

JOHN ISNER: Good question. No. I think they're all on par.
CAPTAIN COURIER: Terrible answer.
JOHN ISNER: No, it's not.
CAPTAIN COURIER: Terrible answer.
JOHN ISNER: Right now...

Q. Is it being honest?

JOHN ISNER: No, no, right now it's hockey season. Panthers unfortunately are out of it and Georgia is done, so that's the sport I'm following closest right now, I guess. Those three teams, certainly I enjoy cheering for them.

Q. If you had to get rid of one...
JOHN ISNER: (Laughter.) Can't answer that one.

Q. How many Panther' jerseys do you own?
JOHN ISNER: Actually not that many. I think I have two. I'm not a big jersey guy. You know, I'm not...

Q. They don't make 'em big enough for you.
JOHN ISNER: They do. They do. I've got a Delhomme jersey and a Steve Smith jersey. That's it. I just wear a hat if I go to the game or something.

Q. Are you still texting with Steve Smith? You guys that tight?
JOHN ISNER: Yeah. He's a pretty good friend of mine. I mean, we don't text every day, but, no, we're good friends. I got to know him a little bit, which was cool.

Q. John, is the health okay? There were some issues Down Under.
JOHN ISNER: Yeah, I'm getting better. I wouldn't say I'm exactly where I want to be right now. You know, annoying issue that I'm dealing with, but I'm certainly getting better. I'm not going backwards, so we'll see how these next couple days go.

Q. Jim, quickly, the Great Britain team, what kind of challenge will they pose?

CAPTAIN COURIER: Sure. Well, we obviously know a lot about Andy Murray on our side. These guys have seen a lot of him. We don't know as much about the rest of their singles players. We'll learn more as we go over the weekend for sure.
It's going to be a challenge for us, because even if you don't recognize‑‑ and I wouldn't expect that you guys would recognize too many of the guys other than Murray on their team ‑ we all know what Davis Cup means to people and what it brings out in other teams.
We've experienced some heartbreak at the hands of people that most tennis fans don't know a lot about. So we can't underestimate anything or anyone in this setting.
There are three matches that need to go on our side somehow, some way. If we get more than that, that would be great. We're focused on getting three. We know they're going to be tough.

Q. Jim, thoughts about the facility here.

CAPTAIN COURIER: Yeah, this is one of the most unique and beautiful tennis settings I think we'll experience in our lifetime. This is spectacular to be able to be in this ballpark and just have an incredible tennis facility pop up out of nowhere.
It's going to be special not only for us playing, but I think for the spectators that get to come and experience it too.
It's going to be one that we'll all look back on hopefully fondly because we'll have won, but certainly the experience of playing here in San Diego will be a special one.

Q. I saw Ron Burgundy has been credentialed. Has he asked you ay good questions?
CAPTAIN COURIER: I didn't notice that Ron was here, we're all fans of San Diago. (Ph) Not sure if he knows what it stand for officially. Not sure if we'll see any whales this week. It's good to have Ron in the house.
That's about as inside as I can get without getting outside. (Laughter.)
Q.John, it's nearly four years after the fact, but do you still get asked about the Wimbledon, 70‑68?
CAPTAIN COURIER: You just did.
JOHN ISNER: Yeah, I get asked a lot, and I just got asked again. (Laughter.)

Q. So in other words, you get tired of being asked about it?
JOHN ISNER: No. I mean, sometimes. It's gotten less and less I guess as the years have gone on.
CAPTAIN COURIER: Imagine how bad it would be if he lost the match?
JOHN ISNER: Yeah. Could be worse.

Q. Are any of you Padres fans?

CAPTAIN COURIER: I'm a Dick Enberg fan, but I'm a Cincinnati Reds fan. Sorry about that.
BOB BRYAN: Dodgers and Padres.
SAM QUERREY: If the Dodgers aren't in I cheer for the NL West, so...

Q. Best team money can buy.
SAM QUERREY: Yeah, whatever. Championship.

Q. Hey, Jim, when does the order of play for singles become...

CAPTAIN COURIER: Thursday. So Thursday we do the official draw and they'll pick and get to see which match goes. It's 1 versus 2, so they'll select it out of the hat or something on Thursday.

Q. Sam, does it matter to you when you play?
SAM QUERREY: No. I've played first; I've played second. Really don't matter. I'll be ready either way.
CAPTAIN COURIER: All right.

Q. Question is for Mike and Bob. Tell me your thoughts about your participation in World Tennis Day, what's it mean to play in it and what exactly are you going to be doing for it.
BRYAN BROTHER: World tennis day. Yeah, we're excited to go to Madison Square Garden. Obviously that's a historic venue for all sports, and there's been some great tennis events there over the years. I know the World Tour Finals were there in the '80s.
Did you play there?
CAPTAIN COURIER: I didn't.
BRYAN BROTHER: Bad luck. But, yeah, being a music fan, every artist, they've made it when they've sold out the Garden. I don't know if we're going to sell it out, but we're going to have a lot of fun.
CAPTAIN COURIER: You've made it.
SAM QUERREY: Finally.
CAPTAIN COURIER: You haven't made it yet. You haven't won enough Grand Slams yet.
All right, thanks everyone.

FastScripts Transcript by ASAP Sports

Rhyne's Picture Thread
Old 01-29-2014, 09:02 PM   #125
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Querrey predicting close battle with Brits

Quote:
Sam Querrey has been in and out of the USA Davis Cup team during his career but having cemented his place as the American No. 2 in the rankings he has taken on a more important role within the team, helping them to reach the quarterfinal last year.

In the 2013 first round he faced the task of playing in the decisive rubber against Brazil with the tie on the line.

“No matter who you play in a Davis Cup match it’s tough. In Jacksonville last year I played the fifth rubber against [Thiago Alves], it was a tough four-setter, I was nervous, the stakes are raised a little bit in Davis Cup so I think it will be tough no matter who we are playing”

This time around the USA will face a rematch of the oldest rivalry in the competition as Great Britain travel to San Diego with world No. 6 Andy Murray leading the visitors into action. Qurrey can look back to a victory over Murray in the final of Los Angeles in 2010 as inspiration for the tie.

“At least I’ve beaten him one time, so that gives me a little belief that I can do it again. He’s got me five or six times I think but I can go out there and that will be one where I shouldn’t have anything to lose. I can go out there and play aggressive and hopefully play well and I think I have a shot to beat him

“Every rubber is equally as important, they have a great doubles line-up and Andy Murray could play…they have a lot of choices and it’s not a guaranteed win for us at all, the Bryans are going to have to play really well”

The tie in being played in the unique surroundings of Petco Park, which usually hosts Major League Baseball’s San Diego Padres but has been transformed for the Davis Cup with a temporary clay court being constructed in one corner of the stadium.

Querrey may not have competed in the arena but he has experienced the venue as a spectator: “I saw the Padres play the Cardinals there about ten years ago to watch Mark McGwire hit some of his home runs when he was on his home run streak. It’s one of the cool stadiums, great stadium and I’m excited to see what it will look like.

“I think [the surface] is more in favour of us, we’re all very comfortable on clay. We think it gives ourselves a great chance and that’s what we are going to play on.”

The 26-year-old believes that the team has a good chance of going all the way this year with the USA looking for a first title since 2007.

“I think we have a team that can win it. Last year we lost to Serbia in the second round – we lost a heartbreaker in the doubles and if we win that then maybe John Isner beats Troicki in the fifth and we’re playing Canada at home and then maybe in the finals and anything can happen.

“I think with Bob and Mike [Bryan], who have arguably the best Davis Cup record ever, and John and I are two dangerous players, I think we can win Davis Cup.”

http://www.daviscup.com/en/news/1671...3LGK3faR4I6.99

Rhyne's Picture Thread
Old 01-29-2014, 09:04 PM   #126
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

DC Preview: http://www.daviscup.com/en/draws-res...ieId=100021080

Quote:
USA will play host to Great Britain in a rematch of the first-ever Davis Cup tie, which took place at the Longwood Cricket Club in Boston back in 1900.

Not only do the Americans lead the all-time head-to-head 11-7, but they have also won the last four meetings between the two nations. One has to go all the way back to 1935 for the last British victory over USA.

Times have changed since then, however, and British No. 1 Andy Murray, who won all three points for Team GB in its World Group play-off against Croatia last September, will be favourite to win both his singles rubbers.

USA has contested the World Group every year since 1989 and will be looking to maintain that record. One way of guaranteeing their place in the top tier in 2015 is to defeat Great Britain.
USA
John ISNER
Sam QUERREY
Bob BRYAN
Mike BRYAN

GBR
Andy MURRAY
James WARD
Kyle EDMUND
Colin FLEMING

Rhyne's Picture Thread
Old 01-29-2014, 09:17 PM   #127
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Noah Rubin & Collin Altamirano

Rhyne's Picture Thread
Old 01-31-2014, 12:25 AM   #128
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

John is out with ankle injury, Donald is in.

Rhyne's Picture Thread
Old 02-01-2014, 03:35 PM   #129
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Ward quiets Querrey, Americans as Great Britain leads 2-0
http://tenngrand.com/2014/02/01/ward...ain-leads-2-0/

Murray races through first Davis Cup rubber to give Great Britain lead over USA
http://tenngrand.com/2014/01/31/murr...lead-over-usa/

DAVIS CUP BY BNP PARIBAS WORLD GROUP FIRST ROUND:GREAT BRITAIN v U.S.A. Transcripts
Donald Young http://www.asapsports.com/show_interview.php?id=95919
Jim Courier & Sam Querrey http://www.asapsports.com/show_interview.php?id=95922
Leon Smith, James Ward http://www.asapsports.com/show_interview.php?id=95921
Andy Murray http://www.asapsports.com/show_interview.php?id=95920

Rhyne's Picture Thread
Old 02-04-2014, 01:13 AM   #130
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Bryans maintain USA Davis Cup hopes
http://tenngrand.com/2014/02/01/brya...s_exclude=7770

Murray sends Great Britain to Davis Cup quarterfinals
http://tenngrand.com/2014/02/03/murr...s_exclude=7770

Mike Bryan, Bob Bryan, Jim Courier
http://www.asapsports.com/show_interview.php?id=95950

Jim Courier, Sam Querrey
http://www.asapsports.com/show_interview.php?id=95959

Rhyne's Picture Thread
Old 02-06-2014, 11:36 PM   #131
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

I agree with this article and think it is time for a change. Would love to see new faces, preferably younger players.

Opinion: Time to Rebuild the US Davis Cup Team

Quote:
After the Americans fell to Great Britain on home soil for the first time since 1903 in Davis Cup World Group action last weekend in San Diego, captain Jim Courier had to field some pretty unwelcome questions, like, “Great Britain hasn't beat you on American soil in over 100 years. How does it feel to be part of the team that fell short?”

>>>January in Review: 14 Hot Shots to Savor

Ask a stupid question, get a smart answer.

Courier's reply: “We certainly don't feel a lot of kinship to the last team that lost to the Brits on American soil since they've been dead a long time.”

Perhaps now is time to face the fact that the American Davis Cup team, despite having the best doubles duo in the history of the game on its side, might also be dead. And, in light of that simple yet unpleasant fact, maybe it's time to blow the whole thing up and let some youngsters cut their teeth with this Davis Cup thing.

Before you make the assumption that this is going to be a non-stop tirade lamenting the state of American men's tennis—let me assure you, it is not.

This will also not be a rant on the lack of competitive fire Sam Querrey showed while he let the most important match of last weekend's Davis Cup World Group tie slip away in San Diego. Rest assured, it could be, and maybe it should be, but again—it's not.

This is simply a call for constructive conversation. For all intents and purposes, Davis Cup has become a learning experience for American men already. Clay, the chosen surface last weekend in San Diego, and the chosen surface virtually any time the Americans go on the road, is the perfect surface for that learning to take place. Courier, a fairly new captain with vast experience on the surface, is the perfect man to instruct men on the subtleties of playing “dirt ball.”

But the fact of the matter is that Courier has the wrong personnel at his disposal. In John Isner and Sam Querrey, he's working with hard-serving, forehand bashing, relatively immobile big men that are far better suited for hard courts and grass.

So why not give Courier some players who could really benefit from these long weekends on the red stuff, and let Querrey and Isner get some much-needed rest so that they can preserve their bodies for the grueling and harsh realities of life on the ATP Tour? As crazy as it sounds (yes, probably stupid, too), why not let the Bryan Brothers take a step back and spend more time with their families, and let the U.S move forward with a retooled roster of four young Americans who, whether they win or lose, will gain valuable experience from these ties?

American tennis needs to look in the mirror and realize that there is virtually no hope of winning the Davis Cup with the current roster, and therefore in keeping those roster spots closed to young, promising players like Jack Sock, Ryan Harrison, Rhyne Williams, Denis Kudla, etc., the Americans are doing themselves a disservice in terms of developing talent.

Why not blow it up? Tear it down, and start fresh?

Philosophically, that is what American tennis needs to do and has been trying to do under the tutelage of Patrick McEnroe, Jose Higueras and Co. Why not take it a step further?

Credit Jim Courier for turning Sam Querrey's head-scratching loss (great stuff from Ward, so take no credit from him) against Great Britain's James Ward into a learning experience for the big man. Querrey came out looking like a different player on Sunday when he faced Andy Murray, and he battled him hard. But Courier shouldn't have to spend his press conferences apologizing for his players lack of fire, and that is precisely what he did all weekend when referring to Querrey.

“To expect every person to have the same attitude of a Michael Chang, not everyone can bring that to the court,” Courier said on Sunday, and it was clear which American he was talking about. “Not everyone can bring other skill sets. I think it's important to maximize what you have.”

It was impressive to see Courier defend Querrey and work with “what he has” with the low-key, dispassionate American. But wouldn't the Americans benefit so much more if we handed off a bunch of our developing youngsters to Courier and let him crack the whip on these kids? Even if it lead to the Americans falling out of the World Group and having to travel to remote locations to fight their way back in, wouldn't that be better than what we saw this weekend in San Diego?

No offense to the Bryan Brothers, who are arguably the best Davis Cup performers that this nation has ever seen, but wouldn't it be nice just to throw caution to the wind and start from scratch and see where it leads?

Davis Cup could become the ultimate learning tool for the real future of American tennis. But if we don't cut ties with the past, we'll never know what kind of talent is waiting to blossom in America.

http://www.tennisnow.com/News/Opinio....MyeHHUVu.dpuf

Rhyne's Picture Thread
Old 06-22-2014, 02:02 PM   #132
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Sears Centre Arena in Hoffman Estates, Ill., near Chicago, will host USA - Slovakia @DavisCup match Sept. 12-14, @USTA announced
Quote:
US Davis Cup Fans @USDavisCupFans · Jun 20

Kevin Anderson said he is not considering Davis Cup duty for the United States... http://fb.me/6V6MYuPnZ

Rhyne's Picture Thread
Old 07-11-2014, 07:39 PM   #133
country flag PitsOfTheWorld

PitsOfTheWorld has a reputation beyond reputePitsOfTheWorld has a reputation beyond reputePitsOfTheWorld has a reputation beyond reputePitsOfTheWorld has a reputation beyond reputePitsOfTheWorld has a reputation beyond reputePitsOfTheWorld has a reputation beyond reputePitsOfTheWorld has a reputation beyond reputePitsOfTheWorld has a reputation beyond reputePitsOfTheWorld has a reputation beyond reputePitsOfTheWorld has a reputation beyond reputePitsOfTheWorld has a reputation beyond repute

Tickets go on sale in 6 days (4 days for USTA members), and there is zero information. Good effort, USTA. Good job.
"A tacit rhetorical assumption here is that you have very probably never heard of Michael Joyce of Brentwood, L.A... Nor of Vince Spadea nor Jonathan Stark...--all ranked in the world’s top one hundred at one point in 1995. Nor of Jeff Tarango, sixty-eight in the world, unless you remember his unfortunate psychotic breakdown in full public view during last year’s Wimbledon.

You are invited to try to imagine what it would be like to be among the hundred best in the world at something. At anything. I have tried to imagine; it’s hard."
--David Foster Wallace (), "Tennis Player Michael Joyce's Professional Artistry as a Paradigm of Certain Stuff about Choice, Freedom, Discipline, Joy, Grotesquerie, and Human Completeness"
PitsOfTheWorld is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 08:11 PM   #134
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Isner, Querrey, Bryans on US Davis Cup to play Slovakia. Chicago’s Evan King & 2014 NCAA Singles Champion Marcos Giron are practice partners

Rhyne's Picture Thread
Old 09-12-2014, 01:27 AM   #135
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Team USA Sept 9 presser: http://www.asapsports.com/show_interview.php?id=102507
Team Slovakia Sept 9 presser: http://www.asapsports.com/show_interview.php?id=102508

USA v Slovakia tie : http://www.daviscup.com/en/draws-res...ieId=100021095

USA vs. SVK Order of Play:
John Isner (USA) vs. Norbert Gombos (SVK)
Sam Querrey (USA) vs. Martin Klizan (SVK)
Doubles: Bob Bryan/Mike Bryan (USA) v. Michal Mertinak/Lukac Lacko (SVK)
John Isner (USA) vs. Martin Klizan (SVK)
Sam Querrey (USA) vs. Norbert Gombos (SVK

Rhyne's Picture Thread