Austria vs. Russia @ 2-1 into Sunday - WWW? - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Austria vs. Russia @ 2-1 into Sunday - WWW?

Austria 3-1 2 25.00%
Austria 3-2 4 50.00%
Russia 3-2 2 25.00%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-11-2012, 05:07 PM   #1
country flag Horatio Caine
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Horatio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond repute
Default Austria vs. Russia @ 2-1 into Sunday - WWW?

This could get VERY interesting.

Austria really ought to have clinched the tie with Marach & Peya, but good old nerves possibly got the better of them (were comfortably in control after the 3rd set).

They have two further chances to finish the tie off tomorrow, and certainly benefit from resting both Melzer and Haider-Maurer.

However, could Russia come all the way back?

A 4:45hr doubles match will be tough to recover from, but you've got to think that Tarpischev will be considering Youzhny vs. Melzer and Davydenko vs. Haider-Maurer.

Melzer's nerves often get the better of him in big matches (although sometimes you could argue that with Misha), and Youzhny has enjoyed the match-up with him. Davydenko may have faded away alarmingly over the last year or so, but surely his experience would give him a solid edge over Haider-Maurer?

Or will Tarpischev gamble on Bogomolov and/or Kunitsyn again?

What do you reckon?
Horatio Caine is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2012, 05:09 PM   #2
country flag Deathless Mortal
♤23♤

Deathless Mortal has a reputation beyond reputeDeathless Mortal has a reputation beyond reputeDeathless Mortal has a reputation beyond reputeDeathless Mortal has a reputation beyond reputeDeathless Mortal has a reputation beyond reputeDeathless Mortal has a reputation beyond reputeDeathless Mortal has a reputation beyond reputeDeathless Mortal has a reputation beyond reputeDeathless Mortal has a reputation beyond reputeDeathless Mortal has a reputation beyond reputeDeathless Mortal has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Austria vs. Russia @ 2-1 into Sunday - WWW?

Apparently Youzhny has a shoulder injury so it's possible he doesn't play. Putting Bogomolov on court to play against Melzer would be signing a win for Austria, so I really don't know what will happen.
Maybe it's possible (if Youzhny's injury is serious) that Davydenko plays Melzer and then Kunitsyn plays Haider-Maurer. It's still better than having Bogomolov play.

"a kad me opet gore vrati zahvalit' ću Mu prvo
što nam je dao komad zemlje što je za sebe sačuv'o"
Deathless Mortal is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 05:11 PM   #3
country flag TBkeeper

TBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond repute

Please Youzhny MUST play Melzer (praying to god)
and Davydenko MUST play Haider-Maurer !
TBkeeper is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 05:18 PM   #4
country flag Horatio Caine
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Horatio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathless Mortal View Post
Apparently Youzhny has a shoulder injury so it's possible he doesn't play. Putting Bogomolov on court to play against Melzer would be signing a win for Austria, so I really don't know what will happen.
Maybe it's possible (if Youzhny's injury is serious) that Davydenko plays Melzer and then Kunitsyn plays Haider-Maurer. It's still better than having Bogomolov play.
Hmmm, it depends how bad the shoulder is? I believe he had this problem in Zagreb as well, and he still managed to win the singles and do well in doubles.

The Russians' serving was very accurate today, so maybe he was serving with less pace because of the injury? Maybe someone who was watching would be able to tell us.

But, yes, Bogomolov really shouldn't play tomorrow.

Your suggestion of Davydenko and Kunitysn is very good...I had completely overlooked that. Davydenko would need to play one of his better matches, but if he doesn't throw in tonnes of stupid errors he might let Melzer beat himself. He is still quite fit physically, so he would perhaps recover better (than Youzhny) from the epic doubles match.

Kunitsyn could be a pest for Haider-Maurer...I could see that becoming a VERY nervy match from both.
Horatio Caine is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 05:21 PM   #5
country flag Ash86

Ash86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond repute

Austria may regret throwing away their chances today definitely... I'm sure Spain were hoping for them to win too as it'd be a tie at home vs Austria - very winnable or away against Russia - much tougher on indoor hard. Difficult to call now - as it's best of 5 you have to think the rest that Melzer has had will give him a slight edge tomorrow but Youzhny's the better player... As for Davydenko vs Haider-Maurer ordinarily you'd not think the result was in doubt but these days Davy is a mess and who knows...

Potentially the most exciting tie on Sunday (along with France-Canada).
Ash86 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 05:35 PM   #6
country flag Deathless Mortal
♤23♤

Deathless Mortal has a reputation beyond reputeDeathless Mortal has a reputation beyond reputeDeathless Mortal has a reputation beyond reputeDeathless Mortal has a reputation beyond reputeDeathless Mortal has a reputation beyond reputeDeathless Mortal has a reputation beyond reputeDeathless Mortal has a reputation beyond reputeDeathless Mortal has a reputation beyond reputeDeathless Mortal has a reputation beyond reputeDeathless Mortal has a reputation beyond reputeDeathless Mortal has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horatio Caine View Post
Hmmm, it depends how bad the shoulder is? I believe he had this problem in Zagreb as well, and he still managed to win the singles and do well in doubles.

The Russians' serving was very accurate today, so maybe he was serving with less pace because of the injury? Maybe someone who was watching would be able to tell us.

But, yes, Bogomolov really shouldn't play tomorrow.

Your suggestion of Davydenko and Kunitysn is very good...I had completely overlooked that. Davydenko would need to play one of his better matches, but if he doesn't throw in tonnes of stupid errors he might let Melzer beat himself. He is still quite fit physically, so he would perhaps recover better (than Youzhny) from the epic doubles match.

Kunitsyn could be a pest for Haider-Maurer...I could see that becoming a VERY nervy match from both.
A poster wrote about Youzhny's injury in the livescores thread, but I guess if he managed to play 5 sets today and come out as a winner, it can't be that bad. Melzer-Youzhny, when both are healthy, sounds like a very good match, so hopefully it happens. Kunitsyn vs Haider-Maurer definitely looks like a very possible 5-setter with numerous chokes and turnarounds, which would make for a great 5th rubber

"a kad me opet gore vrati zahvalit' ću Mu prvo
što nam je dao komad zemlje što je za sebe sačuv'o"
Deathless Mortal is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 06:02 PM   #7
country flag Ibracadabra

Ibracadabra has a reputation beyond reputeIbracadabra has a reputation beyond reputeIbracadabra has a reputation beyond reputeIbracadabra has a reputation beyond reputeIbracadabra has a reputation beyond reputeIbracadabra has a reputation beyond reputeIbracadabra has a reputation beyond reputeIbracadabra has a reputation beyond reputeIbracadabra has a reputation beyond reputeIbracadabra has a reputation beyond reputeIbracadabra has a reputation beyond repute

I have money on austria, so russia wins.

David Nalbandian
Ibracadabra is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 06:14 PM   #8
country flag emotion
Racquet smash enthusiast

emotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond repute

if youzhny vs melzer and davy vs ahm, this is still alive

Youzhny, Robredo, Matosevic, Monaco, Kohlschreiber, Hanescu, Kukushkin, Gulbis, Rosol, Bozoljac, Dolgopolov, Gabashvili, Hernych, Starace, Stakhovsky, Zeballos, Herbert, Tursunov, Djokovic
emotion is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 06:46 PM   #9
country flag Andre♥

Andre♥ has a reputation beyond reputeAndre♥ has a reputation beyond reputeAndre♥ has a reputation beyond reputeAndre♥ has a reputation beyond reputeAndre♥ has a reputation beyond reputeAndre♥ has a reputation beyond reputeAndre♥ has a reputation beyond reputeAndre♥ has a reputation beyond reputeAndre♥ has a reputation beyond reputeAndre♥ has a reputation beyond reputeAndre♥ has a reputation beyond repute

Considering the length of the doubles match, I would give the edge to Melzer against any Russian really.

And there's obviously something wrong with Youzhny. No way he wouldn't have played singles on Friday if he wasn't injured.

By the way, I can totally see Haider-Maurer beating Davydenko in a live 5th rubber.

*JOÃO SOUSA* *GASTÃO ELIAS* *FREDERICO GIL* *PEDRO SOUSA* *RUI MACHADO*
Andre♥ is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 03:31 AM   #10
country flag gulzhan

gulzhan has a reputation beyond reputegulzhan has a reputation beyond reputegulzhan has a reputation beyond reputegulzhan has a reputation beyond reputegulzhan has a reputation beyond reputegulzhan has a reputation beyond reputegulzhan has a reputation beyond reputegulzhan has a reputation beyond reputegulzhan has a reputation beyond reputegulzhan has a reputation beyond reputegulzhan has a reputation beyond repute

I think Davydenko will play against Melzer and he should win. Then, it all depends on Youzhny, it's totally his call if he plays the 5th rubber or not. Can Tarpishev replace Bogomolov with Davydenko and after the match decide to replace Kunitzyn with Youzhny? That'd be the best scenario in my opinion.
gulzhan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 03:42 AM   #11
country flag Henry Chinaski

Henry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulzhan View Post
I think Davydenko will play against Melzer and he should win. Then, it all depends on Youzhny, it's totally his call if he plays the 5th rubber or not. Can Tarpishev replace Bogomolov with Davydenko and after the match decide to replace Kunitzyn with Youzhny? That'd be the best scenario in my opinion.
rules say the number ones meet each other in third singles match as far as I know, unless there is an injury
Old 02-12-2012, 04:36 AM   #12
country flag 156mphserve

156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Chinaski View Post
rules say the number ones meet each other in third singles match as far as I know, unless there is an injury
yes, but I believe that is the #1 out of the 2 players put forward on Friday, which would be Bogomolov. Since Youzhny didn't play on Friday I don believe he is allowed to be subbed in for Kunitsyn to play AHM.

Keqt...(sorry can't spell his username off the top of my head) had Youzhny vs. AHM as a possible match on the TT Schedule which he wouldn't have if it weren't possible, not sure how much he knows about the rules though.

Welcome Your Newest Top 10 Member

Raonic

Proud Canadian
11-13 San Jose 3-Peat
2012 Chennai Champion
156mphserve is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 04:40 AM   #13
country flag 156mphserve

156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute

just looked at the rules and it only says that a substitute player for the 3rd or 4th match must be one of the players nominated for the tie. It says nothing about a higher ranked player substitute having to play the 3rd singles match against the higher ranked opponent

Welcome Your Newest Top 10 Member

Raonic

Proud Canadian
11-13 San Jose 3-Peat
2012 Chennai Champion
156mphserve is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote