Was Djokovic just really unlucky at slams between 2008 and 2010? - Page 4 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 02-11-2012, 03:41 PM   #46
country flag gulzhan

gulzhan has a reputation beyond reputegulzhan has a reputation beyond reputegulzhan has a reputation beyond reputegulzhan has a reputation beyond reputegulzhan has a reputation beyond reputegulzhan has a reputation beyond reputegulzhan has a reputation beyond reputegulzhan has a reputation beyond reputegulzhan has a reputation beyond reputegulzhan has a reputation beyond reputegulzhan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Was Djokovic just really unlucky at slams between 2008 and 2010?

He wasn't unlucky. He published "the book" and had to wait for three years until the curse would be pardoned. He's learnt his lesson though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orka_n View Post
There is few things in life that I appreciate more than Nadal getting roasted. I'm serious, it brings me joy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SheepleBuster View Post
to be honest, I just want to see Rafa lose. I get aroused when I see Rafa's heartbreaking moments
gulzhan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2012, 03:45 PM   #47
country flag EddieNero

EddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond repute

He should blame pizza men for his slam drought.
EddieNero is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 06:12 PM   #48
country flag romismak

romismak has a reputation beyond reputeromismak has a reputation beyond reputeromismak has a reputation beyond reputeromismak has a reputation beyond reputeromismak has a reputation beyond reputeromismak has a reputation beyond reputeromismak has a reputation beyond reputeromismak has a reputation beyond reputeromismak has a reputation beyond reputeromismak has a reputation beyond reputeromismak has a reputation beyond repute

No he wasn´t unlucky, 2008 he was alreyd good enough to win more slams, but in 2008 Nadal was at his physical peak- so it was impossible to take from him RG, and great Rafa and great Roger when are around it is also impossible to take from them Wimby- and Nole was still worse grass-court player back than, USO - he could have won was good enough but the same like 07 USo Roger was too hungry and experience player there. So overall about his 2008 - he could have won only USO besides AO but Roger was just too good, he was without chances at RG or Wimby at that time for sure

2009-his record at slams was horrible, he withdrew from match as defending champion in AO... i don´t know what chances he would have but Roger and Rafa both played great so most likely i would say he wouldn´t win this AO even in healthy-heat makes no problem
RG-that is big shame, worst slam from him what i can remember, he was pushing Rafa at all clay MAsters before RG and i was hoping that at least SF is sure thing, with Rafa gonne, it is what if, but this could have been maybe his slam that year, but i read that he was mentally down after those close losses to Rafa on clay
Wimby-he lost to Haas... no way on grass he would have beaten Roger or Roddick the way he was serving
USO- again beaten by Roger, funny all 5 USO they have played since 07 have been close and really each one of them could have been won by the other player, but Roger was still too good

2010- worst year, serving like WTA, no confidence, couch issues with having 2 of them... only good slam from him was USO and also there he could have been out in R1 against Viktor, but besides USO he really had no chances at other slams, AO-Roger was in GOAT mode since turning that match with Davydenko , RG - even in he go past Melzer in SF was waiting Rafa, with the way he was serving that time and has no confidence Rafa in straight sets is only possible choice here and Wimby.... Berdych was too good, even if he go past him Rafa in final too much for Nole at that time, simply his serve and confidence were in 2010 so much lower than 2011.
romismak is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 06:17 PM   #49
country flag LawrenceOfTennis
Banned!

LawrenceOfTennis has a reputation beyond reputeLawrenceOfTennis has a reputation beyond reputeLawrenceOfTennis has a reputation beyond reputeLawrenceOfTennis has a reputation beyond reputeLawrenceOfTennis has a reputation beyond reputeLawrenceOfTennis has a reputation beyond reputeLawrenceOfTennis has a reputation beyond reputeLawrenceOfTennis has a reputation beyond reputeLawrenceOfTennis has a reputation beyond reputeLawrenceOfTennis has a reputation beyond reputeLawrenceOfTennis has a reputation beyond repute

This thread
Looking for excuses all the time.
LawrenceOfTennis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 06:21 PM   #50
country flag Sound2k10

Sound2k10 has a reputation beyond reputeSound2k10 has a reputation beyond reputeSound2k10 has a reputation beyond reputeSound2k10 has a reputation beyond reputeSound2k10 has a reputation beyond reputeSound2k10 has a reputation beyond reputeSound2k10 has a reputation beyond reputeSound2k10 has a reputation beyond reputeSound2k10 has a reputation beyond reputeSound2k10 has a reputation beyond reputeSound2k10 has a reputation beyond repute

Djokovic was utter shite after he won AO 2008 until mid-2010.
Sound2k10 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 06:35 PM   #51
country flag River
Babolat > Other Racquets

River has a reputation beyond reputeRiver has a reputation beyond reputeRiver has a reputation beyond reputeRiver has a reputation beyond reputeRiver has a reputation beyond reputeRiver has a reputation beyond reputeRiver has a reputation beyond reputeRiver has a reputation beyond reputeRiver has a reputation beyond reputeRiver has a reputation beyond reputeRiver has a reputation beyond repute

No.

Bad focus, and at times, he just plain sucked. There's only so much you can say about blaming a new racket change before you look at yourself in the mirror and ask "What am I doing wrong?"

He pretty much corrected what needed to be fixed, and he achieved the success he has now. A lot of people overlook that in favor of thinking he either took shortcuts, Fedal is injured of some sort, this is a mug era, or tennis died (insert dumb timeline here).

"Tennis is Dea-"
"Just Shut the Hell Up and quit watching already."

ATP
Roddick | Nadal | Isner | Nishikori
WTA
Sharapova <3 | Wozniacki

River is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 08:57 PM   #52
country flag Aloimeh

Aloimeh has a reputation beyond reputeAloimeh has a reputation beyond reputeAloimeh has a reputation beyond reputeAloimeh has a reputation beyond reputeAloimeh has a reputation beyond reputeAloimeh has a reputation beyond reputeAloimeh has a reputation beyond reputeAloimeh has a reputation beyond reputeAloimeh has a reputation beyond reputeAloimeh has a reputation beyond reputeAloimeh has a reputation beyond repute

Djokovic wouldn't have been playing nearly as well were it not for that ~2.5 year gap. Two major reasons:

1.) His messed up serve forced him to become the best returner of this generation, just so he could keep the matches competitive. That amazing return has remained to the present. And not just the return, but arguably the movement as well. A superb serve very early in your career is a crutch that doesn't encourage you to develop the other aspects of your game quite as much.

2.) His humiliating losses due to fatigue, poor conditioning, or poor dealing with circumstances forced him to work in a focused way on his stamina. That has proved invaluable for the many long matches he's won over the past year - and especially for clay.

Had Djokovic not had his bad patch and had instead remained on the same track he was on in AO 2008, he may have won 2 more hardcourt slams (say one more AO and one more USO), but he never would become as dominant as he is now, and it's doubtful as to whether he would win Wimbledon or become a prime contender for the FO.

You can bet Djokovic's mom just screamed "Another king is dead" right about now - in the remotest corner - of her bathroom - followed by "The other one is buried." (from tennisplanet.me, following Madrid 2011 Djokovic d. Nadal 7-5 6-4)
Aloimeh is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 10:37 PM   #53
country flag ssin

ssin has a reputation beyond reputessin has a reputation beyond reputessin has a reputation beyond reputessin has a reputation beyond reputessin has a reputation beyond reputessin has a reputation beyond reputessin has a reputation beyond reputessin has a reputation beyond reputessin has a reputation beyond reputessin has a reputation beyond reputessin has a reputation beyond repute

He was unlucky in a few of them, but got lucky in a few of them recently. There is the thing called luck and it's needed, but it swings - and overall, luck is really irrelevant, most of the times it's just a word used by pitiful haters/tards, regardless of the player in question. If you want to rely on luck go play a poker machine - and good luck with that.

As for Novak I remember the bad times, and how he was openly ridiculed and played down, well, it seems many people are now struggling to come to terms with reality, and it must not be easy. Ajde indeed. And as someone said, the only way now is down, but he realized his dream and reached the peak, even if he retired tomorrow it's a fact. Time for me to find another underdog, black sheep, the third man to cheer for.
ssin is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 10:41 PM   #54
country flag Marc23

Marc23 has a reputation beyond reputeMarc23 has a reputation beyond reputeMarc23 has a reputation beyond reputeMarc23 has a reputation beyond reputeMarc23 has a reputation beyond reputeMarc23 has a reputation beyond reputeMarc23 has a reputation beyond reputeMarc23 has a reputation beyond reputeMarc23 has a reputation beyond reputeMarc23 has a reputation beyond reputeMarc23 has a reputation beyond repute

Djokovic wasn't unlucky,others were simply better...at tournaments like this you make your own luck!
Marc23 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 10:52 PM   #55
country flag Gagsquet
Banned!

Gagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond repute

He wasn't on diet back in time. Otherwise, he would have 11 slams more.
Gagsquet is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 11:13 PM   #56
country flag Vida

Vida has a reputation beyond reputeVida has a reputation beyond reputeVida has a reputation beyond reputeVida has a reputation beyond reputeVida has a reputation beyond reputeVida has a reputation beyond reputeVida has a reputation beyond reputeVida has a reputation beyond reputeVida has a reputation beyond reputeVida has a reputation beyond reputeVida has a reputation beyond repute

luck is relative as hell. he is lucky to be alive.

figuring out gluten allergy couldve came earlier though.
Old 02-11-2012, 11:28 PM   #57
country flag romismak

romismak has a reputation beyond reputeromismak has a reputation beyond reputeromismak has a reputation beyond reputeromismak has a reputation beyond reputeromismak has a reputation beyond reputeromismak has a reputation beyond reputeromismak has a reputation beyond reputeromismak has a reputation beyond reputeromismak has a reputation beyond reputeromismak has a reputation beyond reputeromismak has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloimeh View Post
Djokovic wouldn't have been playing nearly as well were it not for that ~2.5 year gap. Two major reasons:

1.) His messed up serve forced him to become the best returner of this generation, just so he could keep the matches competitive. That amazing return has remained to the present. And not just the return, but arguably the movement as well. A superb serve very early in your career is a crutch that doesn't encourage you to develop the other aspects of your game quite as much.

2.) His humiliating losses due to fatigue, poor conditioning, or poor dealing with circumstances forced him to work in a focused way on his stamina. That has proved invaluable for the many long matches he's won over the past year - and especially for clay.

Had Djokovic not had his bad patch and had instead remained on the same track he was on in AO 2008, he may have won 2 more hardcourt slams (say one more AO and one more USO), but he never would become as dominant as he is now, and it's doubtful as to whether he would win Wimbledon or become a prime contender for the FO.
Good points, agree that most big servers have bad return, because simply they never try so hard to develop it when you have great serve, but Nole had good serve and return before, simply his serve is not so lethal but good enough with his groundgame.

2nd point is right point, Those health issues that Nole had, make him think that something is wrong and he found out about that gluten allergy and also i believe he is now working on his fitness-stamina much harder than when he was younger for sure.
romismak is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 03:58 AM   #58
country flag Yolita

Yolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound2k10 View Post
Djokovic was utter shite after he won AO 2008 until mid-2010.
He wasn't. He was a very talented 20-year-old who had a great game but a lot of growing up to do. He also had allergies and breathing issues. He got all those things sorted out, without losing his #3 ranking, that is, still being the best of the rest, for four straight years. Now he's a mental giant. Watch out.
Old 02-12-2012, 04:01 AM   #59
country flag Hewitt =Legend

Hewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond repute

It is a testament to the spartan qualites that reside deep within Nole that he emerged victorious in Australia despite the organisers blatant attempts to sabotage him through strategic flower placement.

Ajde.

Ol' Rusty Hewitt - Keeping me moist since 1998.

B-Nard4Lyfe.

BoGaNtiLIdiE.
Hewitt =Legend is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 04:26 AM   #60
country flag Mountaindewslave

Mountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond repute

no I don't see him as unlucky at all, he just didn't play his best game at moments and was very weak mentally at the time. look at his mannerisms and behavior on the court now versus back in those years and you see why he preforms so much better now than then. nothing to do with luck but with how he handled himself on the court, he defeated himself by getting frusturated in those years. he has matured and it has everything to do with maturity, nothing to do with luck

------------------------ <3 Richard Gasquet <3

Rafael Nadal
Mountaindewslave is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote