DC Round 1: Isner defeats Federer 4-6 6-3 7-6 6-2 (USA leads 2-0) - Page 5 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 02-10-2012, 08:07 PM   #61
country flag Ash86

Ash86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: DC Round 1: Isner defeats Federer 4-6 6-3 7-6 6-2 (USA leads 2-0)

Isner was awesome.

BUT this match basically puts to rest the idea that Fed's lack of Davis Cup success is all to do with the weakness of Switzerland's team - he just doesn't care. There was no fight from him at all in that 4th set - even if you're 2-5 0-40 down you still fight for every ball - it seemed like Fed had decided it wasn't his day and he was okay with losing. Compare this to Nadal at RG vs Isner - sure RG is more important but this was not an inconsequential match. Fed knew Switzerland's hopes in the tie rode with this match (and along with it any outside chance he had to finally get the Davis Cup) yet he just did not put in the effort.

His comments yesterday about it not mattering if they won/lost said it all. He doesn't think that Davis Cup, one of the oldest and most prestigious competitions in the sport, matters that much. There's not much lacking in Fed's record but the Davis Cup will stay there and he's got himself to blame a lot.

Let's see how he does at the Olympics - the other missing title - wouldn't be surprised if someone like Isner took him out there too - especially in a best of 3...
Ash86 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2012, 08:07 PM   #62
country flag Sunset of Age
Anathemaniac

Sunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat_YYZ View Post
I wouldn't say Fed played extremely well; he played what he probably thought was 'good enough' to beat Isner. And he was wrong, and by the time he realized that he couldn't find a way back in (especially as by that time Isner was more in the zone).

Fed says he doesn't underestimate any opponent, and I believe that he even believes that. But, it's human nature to do so. He didn't think he was going to lose to Isner on clay and he got burned. Guess he forgot about how Nadal struggled with Isner last year at RG, too.
Yep, it's a common pattern nowadays with Fed. I suppose he just doesn't want to admit it (not even to himself), but he does have a tendency to underestimate opponents nowadays I think.
And no, he didn't play 'extremely well' at all. For instance, the way he handed over that break in the second set was just absymal.

Am I still here? As one, with The Fear?
Am I still alive? I'm still f*cking ... Here...!"

"The Storm Before The Calm"

Anathema

Into music of the PROG-Dorky-kind? visit my blog or MTF's Prog Rock Thread.
Sunset of Age is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 08:09 PM   #63
country flag FedererBulgaria

FedererBulgaria has a reputation beyond reputeFedererBulgaria has a reputation beyond reputeFedererBulgaria has a reputation beyond reputeFedererBulgaria has a reputation beyond reputeFedererBulgaria has a reputation beyond reputeFedererBulgaria has a reputation beyond reputeFedererBulgaria has a reputation beyond reputeFedererBulgaria has a reputation beyond reputeFedererBulgaria has a reputation beyond reputeFedererBulgaria has a reputation beyond reputeFedererBulgaria has a reputation beyond repute

Booooooo...
Old 02-10-2012, 08:09 PM   #64
country flag Jade Fox

Jade Fox has a reputation beyond reputeJade Fox has a reputation beyond reputeJade Fox has a reputation beyond reputeJade Fox has a reputation beyond reputeJade Fox has a reputation beyond reputeJade Fox has a reputation beyond reputeJade Fox has a reputation beyond reputeJade Fox has a reputation beyond reputeJade Fox has a reputation beyond reputeJade Fox has a reputation beyond reputeJade Fox has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh V View Post
Exactly. John can play really well on clay.
It does seem like he can actually hit through the surface, which isn't something you can say about a lot of big hitters. Clay does tend to dilute the power game.

But still a great win for John .

Sad for Roger but I gotta feeling this tie isn't completely decided yet.

The side pieces
The Sweet but Dopey Argentine
The Bulgarian Headcase
That Douche from Australia

And when the daylight's fading we're gonna play in the dark til it's golden again
Jade Fox is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 08:10 PM   #65
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

SapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex999 View Post
kudos to Inser but I really don't think that Fed takes DC too seriously. Do you think that Isner could beat Rog in any GS? doubt it.
I disagree. To me, most great champions (in any sport) hate to lose no matter what the occasion is.
SapELee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 08:10 PM   #66
country flag iriraz

iriraz has a reputation beyond reputeiriraz has a reputation beyond reputeiriraz has a reputation beyond reputeiriraz has a reputation beyond reputeiriraz has a reputation beyond reputeiriraz has a reputation beyond reputeiriraz has a reputation beyond reputeiriraz has a reputation beyond reputeiriraz has a reputation beyond reputeiriraz has a reputation beyond reputeiriraz has a reputation beyond repute

Probably Federer was frustrated in first place by seeing Wawrinka lose a close match and then having to play on this awful court.All in all even if the Swiss would come back and win this tie,their chances to win the title are slim.With no real backup in this squad there isn`t much hope that 2 guys have to play every time 3 straight days and get the job done.
iriraz is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 08:10 PM   #67
country flag OnyxRose

OnyxRose has a reputation beyond reputeOnyxRose has a reputation beyond reputeOnyxRose has a reputation beyond reputeOnyxRose has a reputation beyond reputeOnyxRose has a reputation beyond reputeOnyxRose has a reputation beyond reputeOnyxRose has a reputation beyond reputeOnyxRose has a reputation beyond reputeOnyxRose has a reputation beyond reputeOnyxRose has a reputation beyond reputeOnyxRose has a reputation beyond repute

Who saw this coming? :lol Congrats to John!
OnyxRose is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 08:11 PM   #68
country flag SheepleBuster

SheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by NadalesDios View Post
Sorry, Nadal don't lose on clay against this nobodys.Nadal is the clay goat, 6 Roland Garros remember...
He got him to 5 sets last time, no? He is not a nobody. Sure. he won't beat Rafa in a final. But in a first round when Rafa is merciful, he might win 3 tiebreaks Just saying. It's not that impossible. Isner is actually a good player. Much more talented than that fat guy Roddick

Suarez & Nadal : True Trailblazers in Sports
*Proud hater of the neo-L.Ron Hubbard of Espana, the fake Pharaoh without clothes ... cult leader extraordinaire and ...
SheepleBuster is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 08:13 PM   #69
country flag bokehlicious
Banned!

bokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheepleBuster View Post
He got him to 5 sets last time, no? He is not a nobody. Sure. he won't beat Rafa in a final. But in a first round when Rafa is merciful, he might win 3 tiebreaks Just saying. It's not that impossible. Isner is actually a good player. Much more talented than that fat guy Roddick
The USA might also win the FIFA World Cup, who knows? It's not that impossible, Comon!
bokehlicious is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 08:13 PM   #70
country flag Kat_YYZ
Registered Fed fan

Kat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by samanosuke View Post
Actually Swiss fucked themselves . This is the worst clay court which I have seen for very long time and Fed in unideal conditions can provide just Shankerer . Nice to see Breakballerer hasn't lost sharpness also
I do wonder why they had four months to prepare this court and they couldn't make it less high bouncing. Like they know Roger doesn't like the high ball, and Isner can bounce it not just high but over his head! About the only low bounces came on all the unpredictable bad bounces.
Old 02-10-2012, 08:13 PM   #71
country flag Ravel

Ravel has a reputation beyond reputeRavel has a reputation beyond reputeRavel has a reputation beyond reputeRavel has a reputation beyond reputeRavel has a reputation beyond reputeRavel has a reputation beyond reputeRavel has a reputation beyond reputeRavel has a reputation beyond reputeRavel has a reputation beyond reputeRavel has a reputation beyond reputeRavel has a reputation beyond repute

needs to get to Rotterdam I see

Ravel is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 08:14 PM   #72
country flag lucyfur

lucyfur has a reputation beyond reputelucyfur has a reputation beyond reputelucyfur has a reputation beyond reputelucyfur has a reputation beyond reputelucyfur has a reputation beyond reputelucyfur has a reputation beyond reputelucyfur has a reputation beyond reputelucyfur has a reputation beyond reputelucyfur has a reputation beyond reputelucyfur has a reputation beyond reputelucyfur has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheepleBuster View Post
Most of the ATP tour is more talented than Roddick.
lucyfur is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 08:14 PM   #73
country flag bavaria100

bavaria100 has a reputation beyond reputebavaria100 has a reputation beyond reputebavaria100 has a reputation beyond reputebavaria100 has a reputation beyond reputebavaria100 has a reputation beyond reputebavaria100 has a reputation beyond reputebavaria100 has a reputation beyond reputebavaria100 has a reputation beyond reputebavaria100 has a reputation beyond reputebavaria100 has a reputation beyond reputebavaria100 has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats to John Isner. This was probably the best match he's ever played.

29 years ago, one young man conquered the world of Formula 1: Ayrton Senna. You´ll never be forgotten!!!

2012: Year of my TT Comeback
Singles – W: Sarasota, Lexington, Rennes, Challenger Tour Finals F: Orleans SF: Indian Harbour QF: Caloundra, Busan, Vancouver, Istanbul, Medellin, Champaign Doubles – W: Meknes (w/gulzhan) F: Burnie (w/Vilnietė), Sarasota (w/Igorche), Busan (w/Cheeky Chick), St. Remy (w/BrazilTBfan) SF: Indian Harbour (w/Broseghini), Istanbul (w/Mahqz) Won "Challenger Player of the Year" Award
bavaria100 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 08:14 PM   #74
country flag Fumus

Fumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond repute

www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2361861770

It's time to bandwaggon and join this fb group.
That's the gospel.
Fumus is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 08:14 PM   #75
country flag MIMIC

MIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lleyton_ View Post
Who? Doesn't sound like a RG champion to me
MIMIC is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote