The South Asian music thread... - Page 4 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 02-16-2012, 11:38 PM   #46
country flag Harmless

Harmless has a reputation beyond reputeHarmless has a reputation beyond reputeHarmless has a reputation beyond reputeHarmless has a reputation beyond reputeHarmless has a reputation beyond reputeHarmless has a reputation beyond reputeHarmless has a reputation beyond reputeHarmless has a reputation beyond reputeHarmless has a reputation beyond reputeHarmless has a reputation beyond reputeHarmless has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The South Asian music thread...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sham Kay View Post
Just throw in some Chinese music, nobody will notice

This one's rather traditional

Quote:
Always loved the first 30 secs or so of this.

Quote:
One of my faves in terms of pure melodious piano-overkill.

Thanks , but all these are too modern. I was thinking something, you know, purer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennizen View Post
I'm sure you'll regret you asked Anyway, here's one of the classical styles(called Carnatic) The other one's Hindustani which I'll post a bit later.

This is awesome. That's sort of exactly what I was looking to hear, love it. If you have more things along that line, post please!

Also maybe traditional Indian dance, if anyone here is into it? I remember seeing short scenes of it in documentaries years ago, I think it was some sort of a religion-related or interpretative/story-telling dance? It looked gorgeous.
Harmless is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2012, 12:03 AM   #47
country flag Harmless

Harmless has a reputation beyond reputeHarmless has a reputation beyond reputeHarmless has a reputation beyond reputeHarmless has a reputation beyond reputeHarmless has a reputation beyond reputeHarmless has a reputation beyond reputeHarmless has a reputation beyond reputeHarmless has a reputation beyond reputeHarmless has a reputation beyond reputeHarmless has a reputation beyond reputeHarmless has a reputation beyond repute

I was randomly clicking through suggestions from that video, and this came along:

Respect.
Now I finally know who Page and Van Halen stole their best stuff from.
Old 02-17-2012, 01:39 AM   #48
country flag noddzy

noddzy has a reputation beyond reputenoddzy has a reputation beyond reputenoddzy has a reputation beyond reputenoddzy has a reputation beyond reputenoddzy has a reputation beyond reputenoddzy has a reputation beyond reputenoddzy has a reputation beyond reputenoddzy has a reputation beyond reputenoddzy has a reputation beyond reputenoddzy has a reputation beyond reputenoddzy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmless View Post
My knowledge of SA music is exactly nil so I can't contribute anything to this thread.
If you take requests, though, I'd be happy to be annoying and pester you in the know about it! I'd love to see some really traditional music, as old as possible. Something that would fit the etno music genre label, basically.

This is so beautiful. I had this on in the background while I rewatched the cute owls video. Sublime experience.
Maya - good to see you here As you know, my knowledge of Indian classical/folk music is rather pitiful, but I will try to post something if I can ! I am pretty sure Hema is more knowledgeable in that regard ( well, the general consensus in MTF is that she is omniscient ) BTW, our thread starter Sam the FedGOat has meanwhile slithered off into the unknown, shirking his thread starter duties !
Old 02-17-2012, 03:17 PM   #49
country flag tennizen

tennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
This is awesome. That's sort of exactly what I was looking to hear, love it. If you have more things along that line, post please!
Glad you liked it Here's a couple of videos. And here's an article which explains the basic differences between western and indian classical.

http://www.itcsra.org/sra_faq_index.html

Quote:
Also maybe traditional Indian dance, if anyone here is into it? I remember seeing short scenes of it in documentaries years ago, I think it was some sort of a religion-related or interpretative/story-telling dance? It looked gorgeous.
This is from a movie but it showcases the dance nicely( not exactly a song but vedic chanting)

Quote:

Respect.
Now I finally know who Page and Van Halen stole their best stuff from.
That instrument is called Veena. One of my favorites
Quote:
Originally Posted by noddzy View Post
Maya - good to see you here As you know, my knowledge of Indian classical/folk music is rather pitiful, but I will try to post something if I can ! I am pretty sure Hema is more knowledgeable in that regard ( well, the general consensus in MTF is that she is omniscient )
*humble*

Quote:
BTW, our thread starter Sam the FedGOat has meanwhile slithered off into the unknown, shirking his thread starter duties !
I think he's lost in his mathematical world. We need him for the party music
"Who ain't a slave? Tell me that. Well, then, however the old sea-captains may order me about—however they may thump and punch me about, I have the satisfaction of knowing that it is all right; that everybody else is one way or other served in much the same way— either in a physical or metaphysical point of view, that is; and so the universal thump is passed round, and all hands should rub each other's shoulder-blades, and be content." - Herman Melville, Moby Dick
tennizen is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 02:25 PM   #50
country flag noddzy

noddzy has a reputation beyond reputenoddzy has a reputation beyond reputenoddzy has a reputation beyond reputenoddzy has a reputation beyond reputenoddzy has a reputation beyond reputenoddzy has a reputation beyond reputenoddzy has a reputation beyond reputenoddzy has a reputation beyond reputenoddzy has a reputation beyond reputenoddzy has a reputation beyond reputenoddzy has a reputation beyond repute

This is such a great song in Jodha Akbar - all songs in the movie were fantastic ! Would be nice to see a translation of this one ( wink @ Hema) - I don't think I will be able to translate some of the Urdu words..

Old 02-18-2012, 07:08 PM   #51
country flag Harmless

Quote:
Maya - good to see you here As you know, my knowledge of Indian classical/folk music is rather pitiful, but I will try to post something if I can ! I am pretty sure Hema is more knowledgeable in that regard ( well, the general consensus in MTF is that she is omniscient )
She'll try to humble out of it, but it is the general sentiment, I agree.
Thank you for the welcome , I'm enjoying this Indian Music 101 lesson here.

Quote:
Glad you liked it Here's a couple of videos. And here's an article which explains the basic differences between western and indian classical.

http://www.itcsra.org/sra_faq_index.html

Thank you , both great... songs? compositions? I assume since it's classical I should call them compositions?

Quote:
This is from a movie but it showcases the dance nicely( not exactly a song but vedic chanting)

Wow, this is absolutely beautiful.
(for the purposes of appreciation, I'm just gonna ignore the creepy guy in the background )
If you have more, please post, I could watch hours of this.
Is this something that's only taught in narrow professional circles or are there casual lessons? If I were to, say, be in India for a month, could I take lessons in this in any larger city?

Quote:
That instrument is called Veena. One of my favorites
It's so guitar-like, but looks much more complicated, pretty impressive play from the guy.
Old 02-19-2012, 12:39 AM   #52
country flag Sham Kay
Lurrrkin'

Sham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Interesting.. This reminds me of an old video I saw of my mum dancing similarly to this. That dance was called Bharathanatyam If I remember correctly. It was kinda synchro with someone else, like this-

Quote:
Is this something that's only taught in narrow professional circles or are there casual lessons? If I were to, say, be in India for a month, could I take lessons in this in any larger city?
Traditionally girls were taught and practiced these dances at a really young age (kinda like with Tennis) since it takes years to master even the basics. Nowadays there are professional tutors in India and a few other South Asian countries who could give you a crash course if you can find them

There's also this woman and her vids if you can't be bothered with finding them

Beautiful girls are like complex puzzles. The closer you look the harder it gets.

-Drunk guy at Mcdonalds
Sham Kay is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 01:45 PM   #53
country flag tennizen

tennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
This is such a great song in Jodha Akbar - all songs in the movie were fantastic ! Would be nice to see a translation of this one ( wink @ Hema) - I don't think I will be able to translate some of the Urdu words..
That Urdu is too difficult for me as well especially the first few lines but google is my friend so I'll try to find a dictionary online

Quote:

Thank you , both great... songs? compositions? I assume since it's classical I should call them compositions?
Yes, I think they should be called compositions

Quote:
(for the purposes of appreciation, I'm just gonna ignore the creepy guy in the background )
Don't want to spoil it further but she marries that creepy dude in the end

Quote:
Wow, this is absolutely beautiful.
If you have more, please post, I could watch hours of this.
I have bookmarked a few dances I liked. I'll post them a bit later.

Quote:
Like sham said, it is taught everywhere in India(and any other country with large Indian populations) but in general, it is not taught for a month(unless it is just for fun). It is usually more like ballet(years and years of practice).

Quote:
It's so guitar-like, but looks much more complicated, pretty impressive play from the guy.
To me, it sounds like some weird mix of guitar and cello.

Quote:
Interesting.. This reminds me of an old video I saw of my mum dancing similarly to this. That dance was called Bharathanatyam If I remember correctly. It was kinda synchro with someone else, like this-
Interesting. Now I know which parent you derive your brownness from and a dancer to top it

Quote:
Traditionally girls were taught and practiced these dances at a really young age (kinda like with Tennis) since it takes years to master even the basics. Nowadays there are professional tutors in India and a few other South Asian countries who could give you a crash course if you can find them

"Who ain't a slave? Tell me that. Well, then, however the old sea-captains may order me about—however they may thump and punch me about, I have the satisfaction of knowing that it is all right; that everybody else is one way or other served in much the same way— either in a physical or metaphysical point of view, that is; and so the universal thump is passed round, and all hands should rub each other's shoulder-blades, and be content." - Herman Melville, Moby Dick
Old 02-19-2012, 01:58 PM   #54
country flag Harmless

Quote:

Dancing in pairs in this kind of synch has always impressed me, great video. Which style did your mom dance?

Quote:

It does look really really complex, even the simplest forms strike me as very multilayered, I figured as much. (about the 10+ years of studying) I was just curious whether or not it would even be possible to get some really basic lessons to understand it better, as much as you could pack into 10, 15 lessons.

Thank you for the instructional video, she seems amazing. I'll look for more of it.
Old 02-19-2012, 03:10 PM   #55
country flag noddzy

We have some virtuoso multi-quoting going on in this thread !

Quote:
That Urdu is too difficult for me as well especially the first few lines but google is my friend so I'll try to find a dictionary online
Yeah, this is GOAT level Urdu. I hope you don't spend too much time on it because of my "request" - I am sure there are translations online already !

Quote:
He is just appreciating the dance moves

Quote:
My aunt is also a teacher of BharatNatyam- it is the pre-eminent classical dance form from Southern India. I remember attending a lot of BharatNatyam performances of my aunt's students as a kid and teenager, and being bored out of my mind

Age has brought more appreciation and "refinement" in my attitude towards Indian classical dance
Old 02-19-2012, 04:55 PM   #56
country flag Sham Kay
Lurrrkin'

Sham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Dancing in pairs in this kind of synch has always impressed me, great video. Which style did your mom dance?
Just pure classical. None of this new fangled semi-classical twirling and hopping. (textbook description methinks)

Quote:
We have some virtuoso multi-quoting going on in this thread !
I feel like the Federer 2004 of Multi-Quoting at the moment.

Quote:
My aunt is also a teacher of BharatNatyam- it is the pre-eminent classical dance form from Southern India. I remember attending a lot of BharatNatyam performances of my aunt's students as a kid and teenager, and being bored out of my mind

Age has brought more appreciation and "refinement" in my attitude towards Indian classical dance
I feel you bro, and I still haven't gained that refinement. To be honest, if I hadn't felt compelled to watch all the vids my Mum left behind I'd have collapsed in a heap watching that.

Beautiful girls are like complex puzzles. The closer you look the harder it gets.

-Drunk guy at Mcdonalds
Sham Kay is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 06:31 PM   #57
country flag tennizen

Quote:
Yeah, this is GOAT level Urdu. I hope you don't spend too much time on it because of my "request" - I am sure there are translations online already !
I found a good translation for you

Quote:
It is said that this is a celebration of spring
but love is distressed to see
that in the garden, the fragrance is shying away from the flowers.
There is a hidden sorrow in the curtain of the happy air.

The slow sleepy flow of time has
silenced much of the sorrow here
and many unsaid things are lost in the heart.

How does one say what troubles them so.
I wonder this now
how does one actually tell you that they are not in love with you?
We journey through life together,
but there exists a distance between us
like that of the two banks of a river that never meet.

We are together, yet we are not.
This pain of separation is unacceptable to me.
There is, as it were, a wall of glass divides us.

The slow sleepy flow of time has
quietened much of the sorrow here
and many unsaid things are lost in the heart.

The tune that I thought I would hear
was the song that my heart chose.
But what is this tune that fate has chosen for me to hear instead?

If it can be said that I am sad,
truth is she is not happy there either.
It is as if our encounters are blended with loneliness.

We meet but we do not unite
The flower blooms but doesn’t blossom.
When I look around I see that it is spring but there is an autumn in my heart.
Quote:

Quote:
I feel you bro, and I still haven't gained that refinement. To be honest, if I hadn't felt compelled to watch all the vids my Mum left behind I'd have collapsed in a heap watching that.
I can feel the emotion flowing through these posts. I am much more fond of classical music than dance. But I can appreciate dance sometimes (a lot depends on the dancer)
Old 02-19-2012, 06:37 PM   #58
country flag tennizen

For Harmless:

noddzy and sham close your eyes Promise won't post more of these for some time

Some good synchro in this.

Old 02-19-2012, 10:15 PM   #59
country flag noddzy

Quote:
I found a good translation for you
Danke ! Wah Wah

Quote:
For Harmless:

noddzy and sham close your eyes Promise won't post more of these for some time
Don't worry about us- all this quite educational for me too, so keep these videos coming. There is something moving and edifying about introducing one's arts/culture to a curious and open-minded outsider such as Maya - in some ways it makes me appreciate it better.
Old 02-19-2012, 10:30 PM   #60
country flag tennizen

True. This Maya is a gem . But I also want to preserve her open-mindedness and not bombard her with stuff just because she asked( not as if I haven't done that already