The South Asian music thread... - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 02-11-2012, 01:40 AM   #16
country flag tennizen

tennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The South Asian music thread...

noddzy. That one's from a movie called Namaste London iirc.

Reg. the translated lyrics, I like them as well. It's a hobby of mine to translate songs from both Hindi and Telugu into English though I have no poetic pedigree whatsoever. That hasn't stopped me though

And you can call me Hema
"Who ain't a slave? Tell me that. Well, then, however the old sea-captains may order me about—however they may thump and punch me about, I have the satisfaction of knowing that it is all right; that everybody else is one way or other served in much the same way— either in a physical or metaphysical point of view, that is; and so the universal thump is passed round, and all hands should rub each other's shoulder-blades, and be content." - Herman Melville, Moby Dick
tennizen is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2012, 01:51 AM   #17
country flag noddzy

noddzy has a reputation beyond reputenoddzy has a reputation beyond reputenoddzy has a reputation beyond reputenoddzy has a reputation beyond reputenoddzy has a reputation beyond reputenoddzy has a reputation beyond reputenoddzy has a reputation beyond reputenoddzy has a reputation beyond reputenoddzy has a reputation beyond reputenoddzy has a reputation beyond reputenoddzy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennizen View Post
noddzy. That one's from a movie called Namaste London iirc.

Reg. the translated lyrics, I like them as well. It's a hobby of mine to translate songs from both Hindi and Telugu into English though I have no poetic pedigree whatsoever. That hasn't stopped me though

And you can call me Hema
Did you translate them yourself ? Wow ! That's pretty awesome Though this gives more ammunition to your detractors on MTF- we might have have visitors in this thread who speak ill of your exercises in poetic translation
noddzy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 02:07 AM   #18
country flag tennizen

tennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond repute

I did But don't look again. They rapidly degenerate upon second, third glances. As for my detractors, they are welcome. I live to be ridiculed, anyway
"Who ain't a slave? Tell me that. Well, then, however the old sea-captains may order me about—however they may thump and punch me about, I have the satisfaction of knowing that it is all right; that everybody else is one way or other served in much the same way— either in a physical or metaphysical point of view, that is; and so the universal thump is passed round, and all hands should rub each other's shoulder-blades, and be content." - Herman Melville, Moby Dick
Old 02-11-2012, 02:16 AM   #19
country flag noddzy

noddzy has a reputation beyond reputenoddzy has a reputation beyond reputenoddzy has a reputation beyond reputenoddzy has a reputation beyond reputenoddzy has a reputation beyond reputenoddzy has a reputation beyond reputenoddzy has a reputation beyond reputenoddzy has a reputation beyond reputenoddzy has a reputation beyond reputenoddzy has a reputation beyond reputenoddzy has a reputation beyond repute

Kiran Alhuwalia's cover of Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan's Mast Kalander (this one's for Indo-Pak coexistence on MTF )

Old 02-11-2012, 03:42 AM   #20
country flag Midnight Ninja

Midnight Ninja has a reputation beyond reputeMidnight Ninja has a reputation beyond reputeMidnight Ninja has a reputation beyond reputeMidnight Ninja has a reputation beyond reputeMidnight Ninja has a reputation beyond reputeMidnight Ninja has a reputation beyond reputeMidnight Ninja has a reputation beyond reputeMidnight Ninja has a reputation beyond reputeMidnight Ninja has a reputation beyond reputeMidnight Ninja has a reputation beyond reputeMidnight Ninja has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by noddzy View Post
Kiran Alhuwalia's cover of Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan's Mast Kalander (this one's for Indo-Pak coexistence on MTF )
Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan is an absolute genius. Thanks for reminding me after all these years!!

As a whole album anything from Taare Zameen Par is excellent.
Midnight Ninja is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 02:16 PM   #21
country flag noddzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Ninja View Post
Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan is an absolute genius. Thanks for reminding me after all these years!!
As a whole album anything from Taare Zameen Par is excellent.
You'r welcome Let me guess- you are a Fed fan ? Loved taare zameen par and all the songs in it too. Here's the title song with translated lyrics to give Hema some competition

Last edited by noddzy : 02-11-2012 at 02:21 PM.
Old 02-11-2012, 02:49 PM   #22
country flag noddzy

Any of you have heard the band Strings?- they'r a Pakistani group, like their music a lot.

Old 02-11-2012, 11:45 PM   #23
country flag tennizen

Midnight Ninja, good songs. Hadn't heard the second one( Like the female version of Iktara better though). Like the Strings song as well. Heard about them but never paid much attention.
Old 02-11-2012, 11:49 PM   #24
country flag tennizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by noddzy View Post
You'r welcome Let me guess- you are a Fed fan ? Loved taare zameen par and all the songs in it too. Here's the title song with translated lyrics to give Hema some competition

Great choice of words in that translation. I approve and concede defeat

Seriously though, line by line translation is doable with a little effort but to put it all together so it can stand alone in English is really tough
Old 02-12-2012, 01:48 AM   #25
country flag noddzy

Quote:
Great choice of words in that translation. I approve and concede defeat

Seriously though, line by line translation is doable with a little effort but to put it all together so it can stand alone in English is really tough
That was not my translation btw Yeah, it is much harder to make the lines come together into a coherent unit. You should put all your translations in this thread, and maybe sell them to a budding bollywood lyricist (who is also a tennis fan) later on, using your supposed bollywood connections (? )

Or maybe hide recipes in the translations ?
Old 02-12-2012, 01:36 PM   #26
country flag tennizen

Your (excellent) suggestions make it seem like you are a budding bollywood scriptwriter. Probably the only connection I'll need

Anyway, there's this guy called hyderbadee on youtube,who collects paintings/pics to match the meaning of songs. Does an excellent job. Should check out some of his videos if you have the time.

Example:

Old 02-12-2012, 03:02 PM   #27
country flag noddzy

Good stuff. My only gripe is the incongruence between some of the distinctively western portraits and the song itself. So much of creative talent on the web !
Old 02-12-2012, 03:14 PM   #28
country flag tennizen

Yes, it isn't always a great fit but I suspect it's really hard to find the appropriate images(unless you paint them yourself) all the time.
Old 02-12-2012, 10:42 PM   #29
country flag tennizen

Quote:
Wanders the child garden to garden
Chasing the buttefly that eludes him
Little does the innocent know
That which he seeks
to be found
Can only be found within.

Restless eyes that behold dreams
find no rest and no peace
Restless eyes that behold dreams
find no rest and no peace

One that walks this path
Only finds path after path
the way is scorching, his feet burn
no shade found at any turn
On and on he marches on
with none to make him understand

From afar, water it appears to be
is it a mirage? who does really know?
Different as the day from night
is peace from happiness
But the eyes that see
possess a different sight
Peace comes from within
and happiness without

Last edited by tennizen : 02-12-2012 at 10:48 PM.
Old 02-14-2012, 01:38 AM   #30
country flag noddzy

Quote:
This was a good movie- liked the songs in it too. Good translations as usual !