When Will Gasquet Make Another Grand Slam Quarter-Final? - Page 3 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: When?

Roland Garros 2012 1 4.55%
Wimbledon 2012 9 40.91%
US Open 2012 0 0%
2013 Onwards... 2 9.09%
Never 10 45.45%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-06-2012, 10:58 PM   #31
country flag yuri27

yuri27 has a reputation beyond reputeyuri27 has a reputation beyond reputeyuri27 has a reputation beyond reputeyuri27 has a reputation beyond reputeyuri27 has a reputation beyond reputeyuri27 has a reputation beyond reputeyuri27 has a reputation beyond reputeyuri27 has a reputation beyond reputeyuri27 has a reputation beyond reputeyuri27 has a reputation beyond reputeyuri27 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: When Will Gasquet Make Another Grand Slam Quarter-Final?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewitt =Legend View Post
When he stops standing 14 metres behind the baseline.

And borrows Dodig's balls of steel.
He is standing 14m behind the baseline purely because of his atrocious rally FH technique (Murray's FH technique looks world class in comparaison).
I think it's now obvious to anyone who followed all of his matches closely.
Once the opponent hits on his FH side, the ball falls short and then the opponent immediately takes control of the rally which results in Gasquet being obliged to play defensively.
It's really that simple.

Last edited by yuri27 : 02-06-2012 at 11:06 PM.
yuri27 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2012, 10:59 PM   #32
country flag ballbasher101

ballbasher101 has a reputation beyond reputeballbasher101 has a reputation beyond reputeballbasher101 has a reputation beyond reputeballbasher101 has a reputation beyond reputeballbasher101 has a reputation beyond reputeballbasher101 has a reputation beyond reputeballbasher101 has a reputation beyond reputeballbasher101 has a reputation beyond reputeballbasher101 has a reputation beyond reputeballbasher101 has a reputation beyond reputeballbasher101 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by leng jai View Post
The facts:

- His forehand is an abomination. One of the worst rally forehands in the top 50.
- Serve not good enough and never will be due to his physical limitations.
- Plays a taxing style from 2 metres behind the baseline while he has poor stamina. A real head scratcher this one.
- Mentally folds at critical moments far too often.
- His matches against Federer in 2005 severely skewed the hype train.
- Still only 25. He still has time for a few good slam runs

Well written post with a number of good points . The forehand has pretty much held back his progress just like Murray's forehand has prevented him from winning a major. Still though he should have made more deep runs in slams over the years. Being owned by someone like Ferrer who has no real weapons pretty much shows how overrated Gasquet is.
ballbasher101 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 11:01 PM   #33
country flag yuri27

yuri27 has a reputation beyond reputeyuri27 has a reputation beyond reputeyuri27 has a reputation beyond reputeyuri27 has a reputation beyond reputeyuri27 has a reputation beyond reputeyuri27 has a reputation beyond reputeyuri27 has a reputation beyond reputeyuri27 has a reputation beyond reputeyuri27 has a reputation beyond reputeyuri27 has a reputation beyond reputeyuri27 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKz View Post
Well, yes, hard to say you didn't expect more from him, but at the same time, he was after all just a teenager, plenty of teens get these great wins here and there because they have nothing to lose.
I see your point but honestly, you will VERY rarely see a teenager play to the level he played at MC 2005.
I've followed tennis for 20 years and i don't quite remember having ever seen a 18 year old guy played some of the stuff Gasquet played against Federer and Nadal in 2005.That was that freakish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballbasher101 View Post
Well written post with a number of good points . The forehand has pretty much held back his progress just like Murray's forehand has prevented him from winning a major. Still though he should have made more deep runs in slams over the years. Being owned by someone like Ferrer who has no real weapons pretty much shows how overrated Gasquet is.

.......or how much he has underachieved.
Does anyone believe he can still make a deep run at Wimbledon??
Until last year, i was convinced of that but since that terrible performance against Murray (particularly mentally), i'm not so convinced of that anymore.

Last edited by yuri27 : 02-06-2012 at 11:07 PM.
Old 02-06-2012, 11:02 PM   #34
country flag leng jai

leng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballbasher101 View Post
Ferrer is a nightmare match up for Gasquet. Hes better off playing someone with a few weapons and less consistency than a guy like Ferrer who is just unbelievably solid while possessing seemingly endless stamina. Gasquet himself doesn't have the weapons to even hurt Ferrer so its no surprise that he finds himself grounded out of the match after one tough set. He'll hit a few nice backhands but he doesn't have anything to trouble Ferrer for the meat of their matches.

TOMMY HASS
0 slams () and 0 finals
0 consecutive weeks at world no. 1
0 consecutive Laureus World Sports Awards
0 times qualified for YEC
3-13 H2H against Rogi Featherer
0-5 H2H against Rafito Nadal!
Career low ranking: 1,241 (26.06.1995)
0 fake mullets flaunted in Roland Garros finals.
1 first name in common with Tommy Robredo
leng jai is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 11:08 PM   #35
country flag HKz
Hakeem

HKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuri27 View Post
Honestly, you will VERY rarely see a teennager play to the level he played at MC 2005.
I've followed tennis for 20 years and i don't quite remember having ever seen a 18 year old guy played some of the stuff Gasquet played against Federer and Nadal in 2005.That was that freakish.

.......or how much he has underachieved.
Who cares of the perceived quality of play, the W at the end is what matters. Plus, what do you mean you have never seen players around his age play amazingly? Both Becker and Chang weren't even 18 and they were playing amazing, to the point of winning titles including slams. Then you have plenty of other geniuses like Hewitt, McEnroe even Federer who had great successes either in terms of titles or strong GS runs. So in the thick of things, in terms of actual success, not some subjective thought of how good he looked like he was playing, what Gasquet achieved was far from unique or extraordinary.
Old 02-06-2012, 11:11 PM   #36
country flag ballbasher101

ballbasher101 has a reputation beyond reputeballbasher101 has a reputation beyond reputeballbasher101 has a reputation beyond reputeballbasher101 has a reputation beyond reputeballbasher101 has a reputation beyond reputeballbasher101 has a reputation beyond reputeballbasher101 has a reputation beyond reputeballbasher101 has a reputation beyond reputeballbasher101 has a reputation beyond reputeballbasher101 has a reputation beyond reputeballbasher101 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Ferrer is a nightmare match up for Gasquet. Hes better off playing someone with a few weapons and less consistency than a guy like Ferrer who is just unbelievably solid while possessing seemingly endless stamina. Gasquet himself doesn't have the weapons to even hurt Ferrer so its no surprise that he finds himself grounded out of the match after one tough set. He'll hit a few nice backhands but he doesn't have anything to trouble Ferrer for the meat of their matches.

Well said. Against Ferrer he pretty much looks lost as soon as the match begins. It is sad to watch at times. Of all the French players Tsonga might have had a better career had he not suffered severe injuries early in his career. The rest are just embarrassing, especially the tactical genius Monfils
ballbasher101 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 11:14 PM   #37
country flag yuri27

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKz View Post
Who cares of the perceived quality of play, the W at the end is what matters. Plus, what do you mean you have never seen players around his age play amazingly? Both Becker and Chang weren't even 18 and they were playing amazing, to the point of winning titles including slams. Then you have plenty of other geniuses like Hewitt, McEnroe even Federer who had great successes either in terms of titles or strong GS runs. So in the thick of things, in terms of actual success, not some subjective thought of how good he looked like he was playing, what Gasquet achieved was far from unique or extraordinary.
I was not talking in term of results but mostly in term of play.
And sorry but no, guys like Federer,Chang,Hewitt or Becker weren't as eye-dropping(i don't remember the expression) at 18 as Gasquet was.
Hewitt for example was already a great player at 18 but there was nothing "magical" or stunning in his game other than his defense,fitness and mental toughness.
Old 02-06-2012, 11:14 PM   #38
country flag Seingeist

Seingeist has a reputation beyond reputeSeingeist has a reputation beyond reputeSeingeist has a reputation beyond reputeSeingeist has a reputation beyond reputeSeingeist has a reputation beyond reputeSeingeist has a reputation beyond reputeSeingeist has a reputation beyond reputeSeingeist has a reputation beyond reputeSeingeist has a reputation beyond reputeSeingeist has a reputation beyond reputeSeingeist has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Definitely not the case IMO. Its more like hes been a rut for the last few years or is just content with his middling results.
Yeah, I think it's the latter.

If he was truly dedicated, he could improve his fitness and work on his serve and forehand. As it is, he's making a decent living and probably enjoying his life.
Seingeist is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 11:41 PM   #39
country flag Gagsquet
Banned!

Gagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond repute

Can't believe Certinfy made this thread. Joke poster.
Gagsquet is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 11:51 PM   #40
country flag ossie

ossie has a reputation beyond reputeossie has a reputation beyond reputeossie has a reputation beyond reputeossie has a reputation beyond reputeossie has a reputation beyond reputeossie has a reputation beyond reputeossie has a reputation beyond reputeossie has a reputation beyond reputeossie has a reputation beyond reputeossie has a reputation beyond reputeossie has a reputation beyond repute

much better players around
ossie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 12:17 AM   #41
country flag BroTree123

BroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond repute

The thread should be named: Will Gasquet Ever Make Another Grand Slam Quarter-Final?.

My answer is no. And I don't think he will even make another 4R appearance, let alone a QF. He can go back to choking in 250 events.
No words can describe me.
Without me, it would be just aweso.
No shit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTwEeZi View Post
Never held a racquet in my life.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTwEeZi View Post
I've played the game for close to 10 years. This should come as no surprise to many.

Banned Users
BroTree123 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 12:25 AM   #42
country flag misty1
Banned!

misty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond repute

never
misty1 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 12:25 AM   #43
country flag HKz
Hakeem

HKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuri27 View Post
I was not talking in term of results but mostly in term of play.
And sorry but no, guys like Federer,Chang,Hewitt or Becker weren't as eye-dropping(i don't remember the expression) at 18 as Gasquet was.
Hewitt for example was already a great player at 18 but there was nothing "magical" or stunning in his game other than his defense,fitness and mental toughness.
Then you clearly didn't read my post thoroughly. I said fuck the fact Gasquet played aesthetically pleasing tennis in your opinion, they don't net you wins or much less guarantee any kind of tangible success.
Old 02-07-2012, 01:09 AM   #44
country flag Alex999

Alex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond repute

I love Richie and it almost hurts that he is such an underachiever. I don't know what he is going to reach. I have this feeling that he simply does not have any drive. what a waste. I still think that Gasquet is a super talented player.
Alex999 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 01:49 AM   #45
country flag Farenhajt

Farenhajt has a reputation beyond reputeFarenhajt has a reputation beyond reputeFarenhajt has a reputation beyond reputeFarenhajt has a reputation beyond reputeFarenhajt has a reputation beyond reputeFarenhajt has a reputation beyond reputeFarenhajt has a reputation beyond reputeFarenhajt has a reputation beyond reputeFarenhajt has a reputation beyond reputeFarenhajt has a reputation beyond reputeFarenhajt has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure I've ever heard about the guy. Can anyone provide some more detailed info?