When Will Gasquet Make Another Grand Slam Quarter-Final? - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: When?

Roland Garros 2012 1 4.55%
Wimbledon 2012 9 40.91%
US Open 2012 0 0%
2013 Onwards... 2 9.09%
Never 10 45.45%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-06-2012, 11:31 PM   #16
country flag yuri27

yuri27 has a reputation beyond reputeyuri27 has a reputation beyond reputeyuri27 has a reputation beyond reputeyuri27 has a reputation beyond reputeyuri27 has a reputation beyond reputeyuri27 has a reputation beyond reputeyuri27 has a reputation beyond reputeyuri27 has a reputation beyond reputeyuri27 has a reputation beyond reputeyuri27 has a reputation beyond reputeyuri27 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: When Will Gasquet Make Another Grand Slam Quarter-Final?

The epitomizing of underachieving.
Hard to believe that a guy who was able to regularly give trouble to peak Federer at 18-19 years old got worse with age.
yuri27 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2012, 11:34 PM   #17
country flag Stronga23

Stronga23 has a reputation beyond reputeStronga23 has a reputation beyond reputeStronga23 has a reputation beyond reputeStronga23 has a reputation beyond reputeStronga23 has a reputation beyond reputeStronga23 has a reputation beyond reputeStronga23 has a reputation beyond reputeStronga23 has a reputation beyond reputeStronga23 has a reputation beyond reputeStronga23 has a reputation beyond reputeStronga23 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuri27 View Post
The epitomizing of underachieving.
Hard to believe that a guy who was able to regularly give trouble to peak Federer at 18-19 years old got worse with age.
Monfils took a set off of Fed in his GS semifinal and was damn close to sending it to a fifth set.

Stronga,Monfils,DelPo,Nalbandian,Berdych,Gulbis,Ha as and Djokovic are the players I support the most.
Stronga23 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 11:36 PM   #18
country flag yuri27

yuri27 has a reputation beyond reputeyuri27 has a reputation beyond reputeyuri27 has a reputation beyond reputeyuri27 has a reputation beyond reputeyuri27 has a reputation beyond reputeyuri27 has a reputation beyond reputeyuri27 has a reputation beyond reputeyuri27 has a reputation beyond reputeyuri27 has a reputation beyond reputeyuri27 has a reputation beyond reputeyuri27 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by leng jai View Post
Anyone who thought Gasquet would dominate the tour was delusional. Sure he is supremely talented in some areas but his physique is a huge limitation in this era. All this before you take into account his lack of balls.
I think you'll find many people who thought he would compete with Nadal for number one spot after his performance at MC 2005 where he not only had the run of life but also played some stunning tennis (especially for a 18 year old player).
For example, i can guarantee you that after US Open 2006, if you'd ask most of tennis fans who they thought would win a GS beetween Djoker and Gasquet in the future, at least 60% of them would have probably answered Gasquet (especially after Djoker's pathetic performance against Hewitt in that US Open).
What a lot of people including me underestimated in his case though was that he wouldn't improve his fitness nor his other weaknesses even by a little bit with age.
Unique case of a male player peaking at 18-19 (even at 20, he was probably playing worse than at 19,even though he made the TMC that year).

Last edited by yuri27 : 02-07-2012 at 12:08 AM.
Old 02-06-2012, 11:37 PM   #19
country flag yuri27

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonfilsFanatic View Post
Monfils took a set off of Fed in his GS semifinal and was damn close to sending it to a fifth set.
But Monfils was much older than Gasquet when Gasquet beat Fed and took a set from him at Toronto 2006 final.
Not to mention Federer was already past his peak when Monfils troubled him.
Old 02-06-2012, 11:39 PM   #20
country flag BauerAlmeida

BauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond repute

In RG I think.
BauerAlmeida is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 11:40 PM   #21
country flag HKz
Hakeem

HKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taejin View Post
Only one QF? Wow, thought he had more than that.
He has made the 4th round of a slam 11 times which still isn't shabby. Still the second week of an event. But against the best players in the world he is much too weak mentally.

I don't think he was ever underachieving. Sure he has at the very least decent amount of talent, obviously especially off the backhand side, but his forehand is poor, his serve is mediocre and mentally he was always quite bad. So what he has accomplished is truthfully what he has deserved. Hard to swallow for most Gasquet fans, but he has had plenty of time to try to improve his serve and forehand but they seem just as they were in 2005 and all these years of being on the tour doesn't seem to have hardened his mental game.
Old 02-06-2012, 11:45 PM   #22
country flag Nole Rules

Nole Rules has a reputation beyond reputeNole Rules has a reputation beyond reputeNole Rules has a reputation beyond reputeNole Rules has a reputation beyond reputeNole Rules has a reputation beyond reputeNole Rules has a reputation beyond reputeNole Rules has a reputation beyond reputeNole Rules has a reputation beyond reputeNole Rules has a reputation beyond reputeNole Rules has a reputation beyond reputeNole Rules has a reputation beyond repute

He has reached only one QF in a GS?!!
Baby Fed indeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSMnadal View Post
NBA All star game MVP awards:

Bieber 1
Federer 0

Forget popularity, Bieber is even a better athlete than the old man.
Nole Rules is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 11:45 PM   #23
country flag Stronga23

Stronga23 has a reputation beyond reputeStronga23 has a reputation beyond reputeStronga23 has a reputation beyond reputeStronga23 has a reputation beyond reputeStronga23 has a reputation beyond reputeStronga23 has a reputation beyond reputeStronga23 has a reputation beyond reputeStronga23 has a reputation beyond reputeStronga23 has a reputation beyond reputeStronga23 has a reputation beyond reputeStronga23 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
But Monfils was much older than Gasquet when Gasquet beat Fed and took a set from him at Toronto 2006 final.
Not to mention Federer was already past his peak when Monfils troubled him.
True Gasquet also beat Monfils in AO 2007. Richard still has a chance and he has made the second week three out of the last four slams but I really thought he would take it up a level when he beat Fed and Berdych in Rome and almost took the first set off Nadal.

Stronga,Monfils,DelPo,Nalbandian,Berdych,Gulbis,Ha as and Djokovic are the players I support the most.
Stronga23 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 11:47 PM   #24
country flag yuri27

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKz View Post
He has made the 4th round of a slam 11 times which still isn't shabby. Still the second week of an event. But against the best players in the world he is much too weak mentally.

I don't think he was ever underachieving. Sure he has at the very least decent amount of talent, obviously especially off the backhand side, but his forehand is poor, his serve is mediocre and mentally he was always quite bad. So what he has accomplished is truthfully what he has deserved. Hard to swallow for most Gasquet fans, but he has had plenty of time to try to improve his serve and forehand but they seem just as they were in 2005 and all these years of being on the tour doesn't seem to have hardened his mental game.
You have to admit though that one would have expected far better things from a guy who's had the results (and even more, the showings) he had at 18-19 years.
There must have been something wrong with this guy, either in term of work ethic either in term of mental toughness and/or motivation.
Old 02-06-2012, 11:50 PM   #25
country flag leng jai

leng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond repute

The facts:

- His forehand is an abomination. One of the worst rally forehands in the top 50.
- Serve not good enough and never will be due to his physical limitations.
- Plays a taxing style from 2 metres behind the baseline while he has poor stamina. A real head scratcher this one.
- Mentally folds at critical moments far too often.
- His matches against Federer in 2005 severely skewed the hype train.
- Still only 25. He still has time for a few good slam runs

TOMMY HASS
0 slams () and 0 finals
0 consecutive weeks at world no. 1
0 consecutive Laureus World Sports Awards
0 times qualified for YEC
3-13 H2H against Rogi Featherer
0-5 H2H against Rafito Nadal
Career low ranking: 1,241 (26.06.1995)
0 fake mullets flaunted in Roland Garros finals.
1 first name in common with Tommy Robredo
leng jai is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 11:52 PM   #26
country flag yuri27

Quote:
The facts:

- His forehand is an abomination. One of the worst rally forehands in the top 50.
The strange and funny thing is that his attacking FH is really deadly but unfortunaly, it happens so rarely.
Old 02-06-2012, 11:53 PM   #27
country flag Hewitt =Legend

Hewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond repute

When he stops standing 14 metres behind the baseline.

And borrows Dodig's balls of steel.

Ol' Rusty Hewitt - Keeping me moist since 1998.

B-Nard4Lyfe.

BoGaNtiLIdiE.
Hewitt =Legend is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 11:55 PM   #28
country flag yuri27

Quote:
The facts:
- His matches against Federer in 2005 severely skewed the hype train.
There were not only his matches against Federer.
His performances against Murray at Toronto 2006 1/2 final, Nadal in MC 2005 or Hewitt at US Open 2006 were truly worth the hype but unfortunately, you could already see a dangerous pattern: 2 of those 3 matches were losses.......

Last edited by yuri27 : 02-07-2012 at 12:09 AM.
Old 02-06-2012, 11:55 PM   #29
country flag HKz
Hakeem

HKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
You have to admit though that one would have expected far better things from a guy who's had the results (and even more, the showings) he had at 18-19 years.
There must have been something wrong with this guy, either in term of work ethic either in term of mental toughness and/or motivation.
Well, yes, hard to say you didn't expect more from him, but at the same time, he was after all just a teenager, plenty of teens get these great wins here and there because they have nothing to lose. Then when they actually become a name, people expect something from them and then the mental challenge is evident. Personally, I didn't think much of his success since they were merely at Monte Carlo/Hamburg and even then, Hamburg was an utter joke of a draw for him. Had he taken a big scalp at Roland Garros, or at least some slam event, then I think the hype could be much more logical. Though he did make the second week of Wimbledon and US Open, the only big name he took out was Ljubicic.

I think he is a bit lazy in terms of his ethic and probably just as stubborn because any coach should be heavily working on his serve and forehand, which again, didn't improve much at all IMO. It is like he thinks he could win events merely with his backhand.
Old 02-06-2012, 11:57 PM   #30
country flag leng jai

leng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKz View Post
Well, yes, hard to say you didn't expect more from him, but at the same time, he was after all just a teenager, plenty of teens get these great wins here and there because they have nothing to lose. Then when they actually become a name, people expect something from them and then the mental challenge is evident. Personally, I didn't think much of his success since they were merely at Monte Carlo/Hamburg and even then, Hamburg was an utter joke of a draw for him. Had he taken a big scalp at Roland Garros, or at least some slam event, then I think the hype could be much more logical. Though he did make the second week of Wimbledon and US Open, the only big name he took out was Ljubicic.

I think he is a bit lazy in terms of his ethic and probably just as stubborn because any coach should be heavily working on his serve and forehand, which again, didn't improve much at all IMO. It is like he thinks he could win events merely with his backhand.
Definitely not the case IMO. Its more like hes been a rut for the last few years or is just content with his middling results.

TOMMY HASS
0 slams () and 0 finals
0 consecutive weeks at world no. 1
0 consecutive Laureus World Sports Awards
0 times qualified for YEC
3-13 H2H against Rogi Featherer
0-5 H2H against Rafito Nadal
Career low ranking: 1,241 (26.06.1995)
0 fake mullets flaunted in Roland Garros finals.
1 first name in common with Tommy Robredo
leng jai is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote