Davis Cup World Cup 2012 First Round - Switzerland vs USA *** Hopp Schwiz!!! *** - Page 3 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 02-10-2012, 09:08 PM   #31
country flag Sunset of Age
Anathemaniac

Sunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Davis Cup World Cup 2012 First Round - Switzerland vs USA *** Hopp Schwiz!!! ***

Quote:
Originally Posted by duong View Post
I also thought about that (not the bounce but the choice of clay), but it's a team event : Fish would have been more dangerous on hard courts, and Wawrinka less good.

You can't have it all and you have to make a choice anyway
Well the Swiss team is usually good on clay, but the high bounce killed them today, especially Fed being up against Isner, who really thrives on that kind of surfaces.
A lot of folks may have forgotten it, but he even took Nadal to five sets at RG last year. The guy can surely play well on the surface, when he's ON, and he definitely was today.

Tough luck for the Swiss guys...

NB: clay with a low bounce would have been much better. That's perfectly possible, see Madrid for instance.

Am I still here? As one, with The Fear?
Am I still alive? I'm still f*cking ... Here...!"

"The Storm Before The Calm"

Anathema

Into music of the PROG-Dorky-kind? visit my blog or MTF's Prog Rock Thread.
Sunset of Age is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2012, 09:48 PM   #32
country flag samanosuke

samanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Davis Cup World Cup 2012 First Round - Switzerland vs USA *** Hopp Schwiz!!! ***

I mean it's better to lose this match in DC than at slam but this defeat is more worrying than it looks . If Fed decided to play DC he cared for this match and when he cares defeat like this against Isner on clay is very worrying . I am not saying that Isner isn't dangerous opponent but somebody who wants to achieve biggest things shouldn't have lost to Isner this match on this occasion . It looks like Roger didn't get so easily over another Rafito scare
Old 02-10-2012, 10:11 PM   #33
country flag Roamed

Roamed has a reputation beyond reputeRoamed has a reputation beyond reputeRoamed has a reputation beyond reputeRoamed has a reputation beyond reputeRoamed has a reputation beyond reputeRoamed has a reputation beyond reputeRoamed has a reputation beyond reputeRoamed has a reputation beyond reputeRoamed has a reputation beyond reputeRoamed has a reputation beyond reputeRoamed has a reputation beyond repute

If they lose the tie as they should the main thing lost is a small opportunity. Thinking about it, Switzerland had a shit draw, I was expecting this tie to go 3-2 anyway (even if I expected a win) and then matches against France potentially in the next round, the singles especially against Tsonga wouldn't have been such gimmes and it would have been tight anyway. It's a shame Stan couldn't close it out, for sure, but he got us in this position of being back in the world group anyway by beating Hewitt which I totally thought was beyond him so never mind. As for Fed... it's a bit unnerving but it doesn't spell doom. His reaction in his press conference was positive, the season is long, who needs DC really, etc etc.
Will Federer regain the #1 spot and break Sampras's record for most weeks at the top?

Roger // Rafa // Raonic // Söderling // Goffin // Ivo // Wawrinka // Baker // Delpo
Roamed is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 10:35 PM   #34
country flag duong

duong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset of Age View Post
A lot of folks may have forgotten it, but he even took Nadal to five sets at RG last year. The guy can surely play well on the surface, when he's ON, and he definitely was today.
I had said before the match that it would be hard : not only did Isner push Nadal to 5 sets on clay but also Djokovic in 2010 in Davis cup. I had watched this whole match against Djokovic : he had already played very well.

And Federer is far from being as good as Djokovic on the return, esp for kicked serves which bounce that high.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset of Age View Post
NB: clay with a low bounce would have been much better. That's perfectly possible, see Madrid for instance.
easy to say but once again high bounces are not good for Fish and are quite good for Wawrinka (except that Isner's serve will also be too tough for him)

And in Davis cup, the surfaces are not made as precisely as for a tournament like Madrid : it's seldom that it fits perfectly what the locals did want.

It's not easy to make a new court in a place like that, even more with a natural surface like clay.

I remember the Belgians against Spain who wanted a quick court and found themselves with a very slow one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roamed
If they lose the tie as they should the main thing lost is a small opportunity. Thinking about it, Switzerland had a shit draw
Much better than previous years, it was an average draw for an unseeded country like Switzerland, and they were lucky enough to play at home, next time they will have to play against the USA, they will have to play away.

Now I can't see them winning because I can't see Wawrinka beating Isner in a 5th match, with such a serve and such mental abilities (he's the second or third best in tie-breaks and Wawrinka is one of the worst ones)

Even if I remember USA against Serbia and Djokovic had a lot of difficulties against Isner, but two days before, TRoicki who is often laughed at by "MTF public opinion" had beaten Isner in 4 sets after playing a great match.

I'm very sad, for Fed (who does care about Davis cup, I'm sure) but even more for Wawrinka, because it's his main dream winning Davis cup and clearly this pressure made him tense today, and it will not get better after this catastrophic first day.
Old 02-11-2012, 12:11 AM   #35
country flag toyecc1

toyecc1 is on a distinguished road

Is there a chance Federer will be play in Australia before January 2013? I wonder if he will if Switzerland loose this tie, will they verse Australia? Is there any way? I would love his autograph and to see him play, as I just missed out on getting his autograph at the Australian Open. I think about it every day and wish I had gotten it
toyecc1 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 02:20 AM   #36
country flag Fed_Ds

Fed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat_YYZ View Post
he doesn't care about this tournament; he doesn't care about this tournament, he doesn't c...

I already see the critics comparing this loss to the Blake match @ the olympics.
Only thing worse is he has to come back and play tomorrow then sunday

why Roger, why?

I can't take more heartbreak
Fed_Ds is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 09:27 AM   #37
country flag MatchFederer
-Cheese, Bacon, SOWsages-

MatchFederer has a reputation beyond reputeMatchFederer has a reputation beyond reputeMatchFederer has a reputation beyond reputeMatchFederer has a reputation beyond reputeMatchFederer has a reputation beyond reputeMatchFederer has a reputation beyond reputeMatchFederer has a reputation beyond reputeMatchFederer has a reputation beyond reputeMatchFederer has a reputation beyond reputeMatchFederer has a reputation beyond reputeMatchFederer has a reputation beyond repute

I would usually care more but I don't give a flying damn about Davis Cup and am devoid of any nationalistic qualities whatsoever. You can refer to me as, 'soulless'. Tennis is about one man vs one man in a tournament setting, I do like some team sports but it's just never the same.
Old 02-11-2012, 10:16 AM   #38
country flag Rita

Rita has a reputation beyond reputeRita has a reputation beyond reputeRita has a reputation beyond reputeRita has a reputation beyond reputeRita has a reputation beyond reputeRita has a reputation beyond reputeRita has a reputation beyond reputeRita has a reputation beyond reputeRita has a reputation beyond reputeRita has a reputation beyond reputeRita has a reputation beyond repute

This was a bad loss let's not even try to sugarcoat it

Rogelio no complain he good boy no?

Rita is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 11:49 AM   #39
country flag dabeast

dabeast has a reputation beyond reputedabeast has a reputation beyond reputedabeast has a reputation beyond reputedabeast has a reputation beyond reputedabeast has a reputation beyond reputedabeast has a reputation beyond reputedabeast has a reputation beyond reputedabeast has a reputation beyond reputedabeast has a reputation beyond reputedabeast has a reputation beyond reputedabeast has a reputation beyond repute

Luthi needs to get Fed/Wawa super pumped up like this

"Sometimes you're just happy playing. Some people, some media unfortunately don't understand that it's okay just to play tennis and enjoy it. They always think you have to win everything, it always needs to be a success story, and if it's not obviously what is the point. Maybe you have to go back and think, Why have I started playing tennis? Because I just like it. It's actually sort of a dream hobby that became somewhat of a job. Some people just don't get that ever."
dabeast is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 12:39 PM   #40
country flag lunahielo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

lunahielo has a reputation beyond reputelunahielo has a reputation beyond reputelunahielo has a reputation beyond reputelunahielo has a reputation beyond reputelunahielo has a reputation beyond reputelunahielo has a reputation beyond reputelunahielo has a reputation beyond reputelunahielo has a reputation beyond reputelunahielo has a reputation beyond reputelunahielo has a reputation beyond reputelunahielo has a reputation beyond repute

Hopp Schwiz!!!

Go, Roger and Stan!!

Seat #19 on the Federer Express
lunahielo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 02:26 PM   #41
country flag Roamed

Roamed has a reputation beyond reputeRoamed has a reputation beyond reputeRoamed has a reputation beyond reputeRoamed has a reputation beyond reputeRoamed has a reputation beyond reputeRoamed has a reputation beyond reputeRoamed has a reputation beyond reputeRoamed has a reputation beyond reputeRoamed has a reputation beyond reputeRoamed has a reputation beyond reputeRoamed has a reputation beyond repute

Two sets to one down....
Will Federer regain the #1 spot and break Sampras's record for most weeks at the top?

Roger // Rafa // Raonic // Söderling // Goffin // Ivo // Wawrinka // Baker // Delpo
Old 02-11-2012, 03:00 PM   #42
country flag Roamed

Can't wait for Rotterdam now! WOO!

Old 02-11-2012, 03:20 PM   #43
country flag Fed_Ds

Fed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond repute

Great. This year just gets better and better, doesn't it?
I'm sad for Roger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roamed View Post
I wish I could be as positive as you. I have low expectations considering the different
surface and the short turn around time. But I hope he can somehow do it.
Come on Roger, forget about this nightmare and wake up and play your game.
We miss you
Fed_Ds is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 05:51 PM   #44
country flag Uranium

Uranium has a reputation beyond reputeUranium has a reputation beyond reputeUranium has a reputation beyond reputeUranium has a reputation beyond reputeUranium has a reputation beyond reputeUranium has a reputation beyond reputeUranium has a reputation beyond reputeUranium has a reputation beyond reputeUranium has a reputation beyond reputeUranium has a reputation beyond reputeUranium has a reputation beyond repute

Wawrinka sucked in the doubles. Roger was good and solid, until mid 4th though. Missed a few easy shots. That indoor clay court was horrendous though.

It would have been great for Roger and Stan to have won this tie for Swiss, so that they then would have guaranteed a spot in WG next year and Roger wouldn't have to play Davis Cup again this season, but they didn't. Off to the play-off, where Roger will likely be needed to carry Stan.
Uranium is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 06:12 PM   #45
country flag Sunset of Age
Anathemaniac

Sunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roamed View Post
Chances of him playing there will surely have gone up by now.

Am I still here? As one, with The Fear?
Am I still alive? I'm still f*cking ... Here...!"

"The Storm Before The Calm"

Anathema

Into music of the PROG-Dorky-kind? visit my blog or MTF's Prog Rock Thread.
Sunset of Age is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote