Will Novak make a run for Feds 23 consecutive slam semi record? (14 and counting!) - Page 6 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 02-02-2013, 01:34 PM   #76
country flag TBkeeper

TBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Will Novak make a run for Feds 23 consecutive slam semi record? (11 and counting!

Fakermug will break the record book it the era is too-slow-asass and will only become slower and slower and muggier and more and more talentless every fuckin month.
DDD era. (dumb,dolt,dull)

SLAMS: 4 SEMIS, 6 QUARTERS
WTF: 1 TITLE, 1 FINAL, 1 SEMI
MASTERS: 3 TITLES, 5 SEMIS, 10 QUARTERS
TITLES: 21
MATCH WIN/LOSS: 482-329
TBkeeper is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2013, 01:51 PM   #77
country flag 70-68

70-68 has a reputation beyond repute70-68 has a reputation beyond repute70-68 has a reputation beyond repute70-68 has a reputation beyond repute70-68 has a reputation beyond repute70-68 has a reputation beyond repute70-68 has a reputation beyond repute70-68 has a reputation beyond repute70-68 has a reputation beyond repute70-68 has a reputation beyond repute70-68 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Will Novak make a run for Feds 23 consecutive slam semi record? (11 and counting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VamosRafaNadal View Post
Very difficult, you can always have a bad day. For example, let's look at the match between Tsonga and Djokovic in last year French Open. It can happen again... and with different result from Nole.

Anyway, as some other users said here... who cares about the semis? This data only shows the consistency of Djokovic in Grand Slams, but the only thing that remains is the number of Grand Slam titles that he will win in his career.
Of course titles will be more remembered than semifinal streaks. But in order to win more and more titles, you need to get yourself into the semifinals consistently If someone made 11 or 23 GS SF's in a row, then there is a huge possibility that they won a bunch of titles during that streak.
Personally I think Federer's GS SF streak will be one of, if not the hardest record to break in tennis. I mean, even Nadal can get close to Fed's slam title record if he comes back strong for the next 2 years, but he never had and will never have a chance to even get close the 23 SF streak.
70-68 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 02:28 PM   #78
country flag VamosRafaNadal

VamosRafaNadal has a reputation beyond reputeVamosRafaNadal has a reputation beyond reputeVamosRafaNadal has a reputation beyond reputeVamosRafaNadal has a reputation beyond reputeVamosRafaNadal has a reputation beyond reputeVamosRafaNadal has a reputation beyond reputeVamosRafaNadal has a reputation beyond reputeVamosRafaNadal has a reputation beyond reputeVamosRafaNadal has a reputation beyond reputeVamosRafaNadal has a reputation beyond reputeVamosRafaNadal has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yves. View Post
In that case you are 100% right.
My apologies, my english is not the best of the world

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70-68 View Post
Of course titles will be more remembered than semifinal streaks. But in order to win more and more titles, you need to get yourself into the semifinals consistently If someone made 11 or 23 GS SF's in a row, then there is a huge possibility that they won a bunch of titles during that streak.
Personally I think Federer's GS SF streak will be one of, if not the hardest record to break in tennis. I mean, even Nadal can get close to Fed's slam title record if he comes back strong for the next 2 years, but he never had and will never have a chance to even get close the 23 SF streak.
I agree with you. The Roger's record is a huge record, like the weeks that he was on the number one. But the weeks that other players were in the number one and the semis in a row that did other players than Federer are data that won't be remembered despite the fact that they beat Roger's record (it is something almost impossible at this moment). I mean, you're right: you have to make semis in order to win titles, and if you reach a lot of semis you probably will be able to win more titles. But for me, at this moment, Djokovic semis streak is something that I don't see relevant apart from showing us that this guy is very consistent and the best of the world at this moment.
FITD: #12 (Best: #9) | Runner-up: Cincinnati 2013
PAW: #11 (Best: #11) | Titles: Indian Wells 2013
Suicide Tennis: #3 (Best: #1) | Titles: Cincinnati 2013
Tennis Tipping - Singles: #10 (Best: #10) | Titles: ATP Houston 2014 | Final: US OPEN 2013, Arad CH 2013, Tampere CH 2013, Poitiers Fut 2014
Tennis Tipping - Doubles: #67 (Best: #67) Titles: ATP Nice 2014 (w/gak3) | Final: Dallas CH 2014 (w/orangehat), Binghamton CH 2013 (w/randy72391)
Rafael Nadal: The King of Clay. The Warrior. The Mental Giant.
Richard Gasquet: The most beautiful and talented backhand of the tour (after De Schepper).

De Schepper - Thiem - Giraldo - Cilic - Youzhny - Nishikori - Gulbis - Haas - Berlocq - Jaziri - Berankis - Fucsovics - McGee
VamosRafaNadal is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 04:47 PM   #79
country flag fsoica

fsoica has a reputation beyond reputefsoica has a reputation beyond reputefsoica has a reputation beyond reputefsoica has a reputation beyond reputefsoica has a reputation beyond reputefsoica has a reputation beyond reputefsoica has a reputation beyond reputefsoica has a reputation beyond reputefsoica has a reputation beyond reputefsoica has a reputation beyond reputefsoica has a reputation beyond repute

3 more years to go for the djoker in order to level the record. i do not think he will do it...

ROGER FEDERER: No, Roger Federer doesn't pull out. Otherwise he doesn't walk on court (smiling).

After losing to Nalbandian in 2005 TMC final...
fsoica is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 05:25 PM   #80
country flag EddieNero

EddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond repute

No, he's too vulnerable on grass.
EddieNero is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 07:02 PM   #81
country flag DrJules

DrJules has a reputation beyond reputeDrJules has a reputation beyond reputeDrJules has a reputation beyond reputeDrJules has a reputation beyond reputeDrJules has a reputation beyond reputeDrJules has a reputation beyond reputeDrJules has a reputation beyond reputeDrJules has a reputation beyond reputeDrJules has a reputation beyond reputeDrJules has a reputation beyond reputeDrJules has a reputation beyond repute

Do not think he will do it, but actually its is GS titles that count.

Federer 17 GS, 6 Year End Masters, 23 Master Series.
Nadal 14 GS, 27 Master Series, 1 Olympic Gold.
Djokovic 7 GS, 4 Year End Masters, 20 Master Series.

DrJules is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:41 PM   #82
country flag 2003

2003 has a reputation beyond repute2003 has a reputation beyond repute2003 has a reputation beyond repute2003 has a reputation beyond repute2003 has a reputation beyond repute2003 has a reputation beyond repute2003 has a reputation beyond repute2003 has a reputation beyond repute2003 has a reputation beyond repute2003 has a reputation beyond repute2003 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Certinfy View Post
As much as I agree it's not as if Federer didn't have his fair share of luck either. Tipsarevic Australian Open 2008, Andreev US Open 2008, Berdych Australian Open 2009, Haas Roland Garros 2009 all immediately come to mind!
Don't also forget Davydenko at 2010 AO (last semi of the streak but still). Best player in the world at that moment and choked horribly.

Haas in 2006 Australian Open 4th round also comes to mind. Haas could have won that match. Tough 5 setter.

Even though it was a four setter, Jose Acasuso actually came really close to a straight or 4 sets victory over Roger in 2009 FO. It was a crazy match to watch really.

I am sure there are probably one or two others.

None had match points but Haas did have break point at 4-4 in the 3rd set. Tipsaravic was also a breaker away from a 2 set to 0 lead.

What do all these players have in common though? They are chokers.

So I guess we can credit choking just as much as great play for anybodys chance at this record. The cold truth of the matter is anyone who equalls or even gets close to this record is going to have at least several of these types of matches along the way, and whether Djoker gets there or not, I suspect we haven't seen the last of the great escapes.

- Rafael Nadal, ever so "humble", - press conference after shock 4 set loss to Robeen Soderling @ 2009 French Open 4th round.

Proud member of the Anti Dull Alliance
2003 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:47 PM   #83
country flag stewietennis

stewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond repute

Another three years of maintaining this level is a tough task. Withdrawing from one tournament or getting injured breaks the streak, not to mention with Nadal falling in the rankings he could end up in Novak's quarter at the FO and/or Wimbledon this year.
stewietennis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:48 PM   #84
country flag Looner

Looner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond repute

He will make a run and hopefully fail by Fed's hands .

The "Who plays tennis?" thread

On winning DC and its overall importance in the discussion for all-time greats
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orbis View Post
Davis Cup should never have really mattered in the GOAT discussion anyway since it's a team event. If you're talking about the GOAT singles player then you should mainly look at individual results.
If some unknown talent came out of some random tiny country (no chance to win DC) and won 20 slams, no one would give a single shit if that player didn't have DC. The fact is, success in DC is largely determined by what country you come from or play for in the first place, which most players haven't had any control over.
Looner is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:55 PM   #85
country flag Chase Visa

Chase Visa has a reputation beyond reputeChase Visa has a reputation beyond reputeChase Visa has a reputation beyond reputeChase Visa has a reputation beyond reputeChase Visa has a reputation beyond reputeChase Visa has a reputation beyond reputeChase Visa has a reputation beyond reputeChase Visa has a reputation beyond reputeChase Visa has a reputation beyond reputeChase Visa has a reputation beyond reputeChase Visa has a reputation beyond repute

It's actually not that far fetched. But there's got to be an injury in there somewhere, and Djokovic will probably be Rosoled eventually.... he'd have to make all semis until RG 2016 to break it.
Chase Visa is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 04:37 AM   #86
country flag johnny tsunami

johnny tsunami has a reputation beyond reputejohnny tsunami has a reputation beyond reputejohnny tsunami has a reputation beyond reputejohnny tsunami has a reputation beyond reputejohnny tsunami has a reputation beyond reputejohnny tsunami has a reputation beyond reputejohnny tsunami has a reputation beyond reputejohnny tsunami has a reputation beyond reputejohnny tsunami has a reputation beyond reputejohnny tsunami has a reputation beyond reputejohnny tsunami has a reputation beyond repute

yes.
johnny tsunami is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 05:07 AM   #87
country flag Midnight Ninja

Midnight Ninja has a reputation beyond reputeMidnight Ninja has a reputation beyond reputeMidnight Ninja has a reputation beyond reputeMidnight Ninja has a reputation beyond reputeMidnight Ninja has a reputation beyond reputeMidnight Ninja has a reputation beyond reputeMidnight Ninja has a reputation beyond reputeMidnight Ninja has a reputation beyond reputeMidnight Ninja has a reputation beyond reputeMidnight Ninja has a reputation beyond reputeMidnight Ninja has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2003 View Post
Don't also forget Davydenko at 2010 AO (last semi of the streak but still). Best player in the world at that moment and choked horribly.

Haas in 2006 Australian Open 4th round also comes to mind. Haas could have won that match. Tough 5 setter.

Even though it was a four setter, Jose Acasuso actually came really close to a straight or 4 sets victory over Roger in 2009 FO. It was a crazy match to watch really.

I am sure there are probably one or two others.

None had match points but Haas did have break point at 4-4 in the 3rd set. Tipsaravic was also a breaker away from a 2 set to 0 lead.

What do all these players have in common though? They are chokers.

So I guess we can credit choking just as much as great play for anybodys chance at this record. The cold truth of the matter is anyone who equalls or even gets close to this record is going to have at least several of these types of matches along the way, and whether Djoker gets there or not, I suspect we haven't seen the last of the great escapes.
I agree with the rest but that inside out forehand on break point was all Federer.
Midnight Ninja is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:43 AM   #88
country flag Hola Mr. SK
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Hola Mr. SK has a reputation beyond reputeHola Mr. SK has a reputation beyond reputeHola Mr. SK has a reputation beyond reputeHola Mr. SK has a reputation beyond reputeHola Mr. SK has a reputation beyond reputeHola Mr. SK has a reputation beyond reputeHola Mr. SK has a reputation beyond reputeHola Mr. SK has a reputation beyond reputeHola Mr. SK has a reputation beyond reputeHola Mr. SK has a reputation beyond reputeHola Mr. SK has a reputation beyond repute

yes
Hola Mr. SK is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:36 AM   #89
country flag Mountaindewslave

Mountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Will Nole/Rafa/Murray make a run for Feds 23 consecutive slam semi record?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuzzahLovah View Post
Fedtards are already giving up on the present, looking backwards to Fed's relevance.
Federer is 31 and took Murray to 5 sets a few weeks ago.... either present or past, Roger looks great. probably looks even more amazing if you focus on his appearance now, 31 years old and still playing amazing. see if Nadal, Djokovic, Murray are playing well at 31. let alone playing at all

------------------------ <3 Richard Gasquet <3

Rafael Nadal
Mountaindewslave is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:37 AM   #90
country flag Hewitt =Legend

Hewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond repute

This record that Federer holds is ridiculously absurd and it would take a herculean effort of monumental proportions for Nole to break it. He's pretty much halfway there at the moment, can he keep up this level of play for the other half? It's pretty doubtful, the extremely high level of play you have to consistently produce during the strenuous environment of grand slam tennis is almost impossible. You'd have to think Wimbledon is the most likely event his current streak will end, but all it takes is one player catching fire and you're immediately in a dogfight (Wawrinka this year at the AO is a prime example).

Ol' Rusty Hewitt - Keeping me moist since 1998.

B-Nard4Lyfe.

BoGaNtiLIdiE.
Hewitt =Legend is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote