Does time wasting between points make it hard to tell how fit a player is? - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 02-05-2012, 05:15 PM   #16
country flag tennis2tennis

tennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Does time wasting between points make it hard to tell how fit a player is?

~I think this is one of the things that I admire about Roger he challanges quickely and he keeps to the allotted time that's because he was raised playing to the rules and fast tempo - I'm might be wrong about this but I think attacking players are by nature fast between points they want to keep the tempo fast - I think Pete Sampras is another example of this!

Rafa and Nole play a far more taxing return/defensive game but the truth is even EARLY in the match when the number of strokes in the rally still hasn't reached double figures they still go beyond the allotted time

Quote:
ESPN: Length of Aussie final didn't add up

Early in the match, ESPN's broadcast flashed a statistic showing Nadal's average time between points to be 31 seconds and Djokovic's to be 35 secords -- both well over the 20 seconds players are allotted at Grand Slam events. Around the end of the second set, when the umpire cautioned both players against taking too much time, the numbers were down slightly, showing Nadal at 30 seconds between points and Djokovic at 33 seconds. They likely increased once again during the later stages of the match, given that both players were understandably exhausted.

Even using the conservative estimate of 30 seconds and 33 seconds, respectively, that still adds considerably to the length of the match. With Djokovic playing 166 points on his serve, the Serb took 36 more minutes than he would have if sticking to the rules. Nadal, who played 203 points on his serve, took an extra 34 minutes. That adds up to 70 minutes, which would have put the match time at 4 hours, 43 minutes -- potentially shorter than the Wilander-Lendl U.S. Open final, the Nadal-Federer 2008 Wimbledon final (4 hours, 48 minutes) and even Djokovic's win over Andy Murray in the semifinals (4 hours, 50 minutes).
tennis2tennis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2012, 05:27 PM   #17
country flag MaxPower

MaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Does time wasting between points make it hard to tell how fit a player is?

Well most tennis players are crazy fit. They put in so many hours every week so would be strange if they weren't. I think it's wrong to focus the time wasting discussion on fitness. It's not just about fitness and getting that extra rest. The "time wasting" does wonders in other ways too.

help to focus/get tension down
wait for favorable wind situation
wait for crowd to calm down completely
unnerve an opponent who was in the zone
get coaching/signs

among other things. Basically it's "cheating" because the rules are bent in a way that could favor yourself. If the opponent follows the 25 sec rule and you don't then yes you are cheating. Technically I didn't have much problem with Nadal vs Djokovic because BOTH were cheating with it. And as I said the fitness aspect is just one thing among many.

Right now the only way to combat this time waste is to do it yourself. But what kind of idiot solution is that? Umpires need to act. It's their job and they too look like complete idiots because anyone with a stopwatch can tell what's going on
MaxPower is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 05:46 PM   #18
country flag Looner

Looner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSMnadal View Post
Oh will you fedtards stop it with this... how about you actually stick to the tennis instead of complaining non stop about the court speeds and time ruling...

Literally every comment you guys make these days are about this and nothing else.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay Death View Post
top guns have that right. you can do what you want if your name is fed, nole, or nadal. they are 3 all time greats of the sport who are taking the sport to its highest level ever.

they are the faces and the names of this sport.

so 2 of them take 30 seconds or more. big fucking deal.

nole, nadal, and fed are still the fittest tennis players ever.

they dont mean it. it is just their routine to help them relax a little.
I don't expect proper arguments from Nadulltards but saying the top guys are more equal than the others is exactly what Nadull has turned this sport into. IF everyone is not subject to the same, rules it can't be called a sport as a sport is defined by an EQUAL PLAYING FIELD aka as the same rules.

And GSMNadull, Don't worry once that abomination called a 'tennis player' Nadull retires we'll be happy again.

I also remember I read somewhere the difference for these top athletes between a 10 and 20 second recovery interval is IMMENSE! So it does make a difference and a 4-hour match played according to normal rules is far more taxing than another 6-hour time wasting fest where players take 40 seconds to recover even though they're gladiators.
Looner is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 07:40 PM   #19
country flag Foxy

Foxy has a reputation beyond reputeFoxy has a reputation beyond reputeFoxy has a reputation beyond reputeFoxy has a reputation beyond reputeFoxy has a reputation beyond reputeFoxy has a reputation beyond reputeFoxy has a reputation beyond reputeFoxy has a reputation beyond reputeFoxy has a reputation beyond reputeFoxy has a reputation beyond reputeFoxy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looner View Post
I don't expect proper arguments from Nadulltards but saying the top guys are more equal than the others is exactly what Nadull has turned this sport into. IF everyone is not subject to the same, rules it can't be called a sport as a sport is defined by an EQUAL PLAYING FIELD aka as the same rules.

And GSMNadull, Don't worry once that abomination called a 'tennis player' Nadull retires we'll be happy again.

I also remember I read somewhere the difference for these top athletes between a 10 and 20 second recovery interval is IMMENSE! So it does make a difference and a 4-hour match played according to normal rules is far more taxing than another 6-hour time wasting fest where players take 40 seconds to recover even though they're gladiators.
Partly so, partly not. You are still not sitting in a chair or laying down resting. You are still walking, standing still, stretching, doing some other things while preparing the serve, pressure is ON... you name it. Plus if you take 40 sec then that means at the same time the opponent is also "resting", he can't play while you are "resting". It is not that big of an advantage as many here make it look. And it is not that someone is taking a minute or 2. It is some more seconds additionally.
04.07.10 - Rafa's Express Faster Than The Rest!
13.09.10 - Who is the GOAT now?!
05.06.11 - Where is clayGoat Djokovic?
11.06.12 - NoleSlam denied! 7th Heaven it is!
09.06.13 - Hi8tory!
09.09.13 - #Lucky13
Foxy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 07:45 PM   #20
country flag samanosuke

samanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond repute

main problem of time wasting is breaking of tennis rules . i don't see any reason why would somebody need to respect other tennis rules when playing the guy who is doing that through the hole match
samanosuke is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 08:43 PM   #21
country flag stewietennis

stewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond repute

You're not exactly resting when you're concentrating on the next point/serve. To the casual observer it may not look like they're doing anything. Some players let rip with the next serve right away, others need more time to prepare. Preparation is not rest. Taking extra time sitting down on a changeover is rest.
stewietennis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 08:56 PM   #22
country flag lalaland

lalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond repute

I think that 10 mins bathroom break Fed took during that match against Davydenko in the Aussie Open should be considered extra rest, no? Then again, it's Fed, he plays within the rule like a gentleman, so maybe he really has to go.
lalaland is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 09:03 PM   #23
country flag Looner

Looner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalaland View Post
I think that 10 mins bathroom break Fed took during that match against Davydenko in the Aussie Open should be considered extra rest, no? Then again, it's Fed, he plays within the rule like a gentleman, so maybe he really has to go.
Have you ever watched a tennis match in your life? If, as I suspect, the answer is no, what exactly are you doing on a tennis forum. Let me help you address this difficulty of yours. You have the right to take TWO (that reads as one and then another one) during your matches. That is part of the rules. Taking twice as much time to serve is complete disregard of said rules.

Negged for being a complete idiot.

Last edited by Looner : 02-05-2012 at 11:17 PM.
Old 02-05-2012, 09:14 PM   #24
country flag lalaland

lalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looner View Post
Have you ever watched a tennis match in your life. If, as I suspect, the answer is no, what exactly are you doing a tennis forum. Let me help you address this difficulty of yours. You have the right to take TWO (that reads as one and then another one) during your matches. That is part of the rules. Taking twice as much time to serve is complete disregard of said rules.

Negged for being a complete idiot.
Did I touch a nerve? Oh, I'm sorry. Why are you so tick off by what I said? Didn't I just said maybe he really has to go?
Is it because you suspect ppl thought Fed's bathroom break was unnecessary? Oh, I see now.

They have the right to take bathroom break as much as they have the right to take MTO, that didn't stop the Fedtards from whinning about Rafa/Nole taking MTO even if they are truly injured. Sure, that got nothing to do with the time between points. Just that as other said, how many times ppl whined about the same thing again and again regarding Rafa and Nole, especially the Fedtards, maybe they forgot Fed is not a saint himself either.

And thanks to all those Fedtards for bad-repping me, clearly I did touch a nerve. This just prove that Fed's bathroom incident is a soft spot even for his own fans.

Last edited by lalaland : 02-05-2012 at 10:13 PM.
Old 02-05-2012, 09:21 PM   #25
Shirogane

Shirogane has a reputation beyond reputeShirogane has a reputation beyond reputeShirogane has a reputation beyond reputeShirogane has a reputation beyond reputeShirogane has a reputation beyond reputeShirogane has a reputation beyond reputeShirogane has a reputation beyond reputeShirogane has a reputation beyond reputeShirogane has a reputation beyond reputeShirogane has a reputation beyond reputeShirogane has a reputation beyond repute

The rules are the rules – either change them (set the time limit to 45 seconds for example), or enforce them.

David Nalbandian ♦ Mikhail Youzhny ♦ Roger Federer ♦ Nikolay Davydenko

Shirogane is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 09:25 PM   #26
country flag fmolinari2005

fmolinari2005 has a reputation beyond reputefmolinari2005 has a reputation beyond reputefmolinari2005 has a reputation beyond reputefmolinari2005 has a reputation beyond reputefmolinari2005 has a reputation beyond reputefmolinari2005 has a reputation beyond reputefmolinari2005 has a reputation beyond reputefmolinari2005 has a reputation beyond reputefmolinari2005 has a reputation beyond reputefmolinari2005 has a reputation beyond reputefmolinari2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Did I touch a nerve? Oh, I'm sorry. Why are you so tick off by what I said? Didn't I just said maybe he really has to go?
Is it because you suspect ppl thought Fed's bathroom break was unnecessary? Oh, I see now.

They have the right to take bathroom break as much as they have the right to take MTO, that didn't stop the Fedtards from whinning about Rafa/Nole taking MTO even if they are truly injured. Sure, that got nothing to do with the time between points. Just that as other said, how many times ppl whined about the same thing again and again regarding Rafa and Nole, especially the Fedtards, maybe they forgot Fed is not a saint himself either.
Yeah! Fed is no saint. Once he took a bathroom break that people thought was suspicious. Once Nadal and Nole went an entire match without taking to long to serve, getting oncourt coaching or abusing the MTO rule.

COME ON MURRAY!
Andy Murray: USO champion! Roger Federer: LEGEND!

2012: A reminder to all of those who said Murray would never win a GS and that Federer was done winning GS titles!
fmolinari2005 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 09:34 PM   #27
country flag lalaland

Ok, my bad, Fed is still a saint, because a 1-time offense should be quickly forgotten.
You guys should create a new forum that dedicate entirely to Nole and Rafa, I'm sure MTF is not big enough to handle that evil 2. I mean, those MTO, time between points, excessive celebration, and the biggest offense of all, they win tennis matches.
Old 02-05-2012, 09:46 PM   #28
country flag fmolinari2005

fmolinari2005 has a reputation beyond reputefmolinari2005 has a reputation beyond reputefmolinari2005 has a reputation beyond reputefmolinari2005 has a reputation beyond reputefmolinari2005 has a reputation beyond reputefmolinari2005 has a reputation beyond reputefmolinari2005 has a reputation beyond reputefmolinari2005 has a reputation beyond reputefmolinari2005 has a reputation beyond reputefmolinari2005 has a reputation beyond reputefmolinari2005 has a reputation beyond repute

On my way to good rep Looner.

Oh wait ...

"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Looner again."

COME ON MURRAY!
Andy Murray: USO champion! Roger Federer: LEGEND!

2012: A reminder to all of those who said Murray would never win a GS and that Federer was done winning GS titles!
fmolinari2005 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 09:47 PM   #29
country flag munZe konZa

munZe konZa has a reputation beyond reputemunZe konZa has a reputation beyond reputemunZe konZa has a reputation beyond reputemunZe konZa has a reputation beyond reputemunZe konZa has a reputation beyond reputemunZe konZa has a reputation beyond reputemunZe konZa has a reputation beyond reputemunZe konZa has a reputation beyond reputemunZe konZa has a reputation beyond reputemunZe konZa has a reputation beyond reputemunZe konZa has a reputation beyond repute

Once again people who hate the talented or pretend to be fans of less than talented players find something to gripe on.
Also laws that you call are man made and by definition imperfect
munZe konZa is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 11:13 PM   #30
country flag Looner

Quote:

And thanks to all those Fedtards for bad-repping me, clearly I did touch a nerve. This just prove that Fed's bathroom incident is a soft spot even for his own fans.
I think I can say the same x100. The several MTO Nadull has taken were obviously tactical, especially that one at the French last year or at Wimbledon 2010. But if you fail to see that, I guess Nadal is within the rules.

I mean what a comedy this post yours is. There's ignorant people and then there's you who stands on a pedestal far above where no one else can see you, let alone reach you in your brilliant ignorance.. You can try and put down Fed's amazing sportsmanship but you'll just look like an idiot in the process. Case in point is this thread. You tried to change the topic completely so you can justify your pathetic hate .

Quote:
Originally Posted by munZe konZa View Post
Once again people who hate the talented or pretend to be fans of less than talented players find something to gripe on.
Also laws that you call are man made and by definition imperfect
Great logic on display here. So if laws are so imperfect that randomly breaking them is so useful, shall I pop into your house and take some valuables whilst we're at it? I mean, you know, laws are imperfect so stealing is surely justified. Christ.