Does time wasting between points make it hard to tell how fit a player is? - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 02-05-2012, 11:15 AM   #1
country flag 2003

2003 has a reputation beyond repute2003 has a reputation beyond repute2003 has a reputation beyond repute2003 has a reputation beyond repute2003 has a reputation beyond repute2003 has a reputation beyond repute2003 has a reputation beyond repute2003 has a reputation beyond repute2003 has a reputation beyond repute2003 has a reputation beyond repute2003 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Does time wasting between points make it hard to tell how fit a player is?

People say Rafa/Ferrer etc are top 3 on tour in terms of fitness, certainly looking at their bodies you would think so..but how can you tell when they waste so much time between points to recover?

Likewise with a number of top guys. Towelling down, aces, easy points, the sit down, taking up to an average of 35 seconds between single points, it is very easy for a player to recover that way. Almost like the fat mans track. This just doesnt happen in other sports like football, touch rugby, hockey etc.

The only breaks you get is when play is held up. So you know those guys are mega fit.

But with tennis players its harder to tell. They can use so much time to recover. Especially the players with big serves. Between taking 45 seconds between a point, hitting an ace and an unreturnable, and the sit downs, you can effectively recover.

I guess I just still wonder how fit tennis players are in relation to other sportsmen. Everyone is saying Nadal/Djokovic/Fed/Murray are insanely fit and amongst the worlds fittest athletes. But are they really? I love tennis but I do worry the sport is not as demanding perhaps as people think it is. In terms anyway of the endurance part of it.

Playing 7 best of 5 matches when time limit is potentially unlimited is extremely tough, no doubt about it. But with 2 days off per match, and so many chances with sit downs, bathroom breaks, injury time outs, hawk eye challenges, towel downs, querrying the umpires, aces/unreturnables/waiting for crowd to get seated, excess ball bouncing, and in general just what is sometimes quite frankly outright time wasting, it is hard to tell how fit these guys are. Play is just not continuous like it was intended to be.

What does everyone think? In sports like football, you get no break really. I think tennis was envisioned to be like that more or less. But what we are seeing just isnt to that formula.

You could also make a case that perhaps the players who stick to the 20 second rule might be the fittest. They arent looking for time wasting or feel that wasting time between points might send a message of fatigue to their opponent.

- Rafael Nadal, ever so "humble", - press conference after shock 4 set loss to Robeen Soderling @ 2009 French Open 4th round.

Proud member of the Anti Dull Alliance
2003 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2012, 11:48 AM   #2
country flag xdrewitdajx

xdrewitdajx has a reputation beyond reputexdrewitdajx has a reputation beyond reputexdrewitdajx has a reputation beyond reputexdrewitdajx has a reputation beyond reputexdrewitdajx has a reputation beyond reputexdrewitdajx has a reputation beyond reputexdrewitdajx has a reputation beyond reputexdrewitdajx has a reputation beyond reputexdrewitdajx has a reputation beyond reputexdrewitdajx has a reputation beyond reputexdrewitdajx has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Does time wasting between points make it hard to tell how fit a player is?

no.
xdrewitdajx is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 11:53 AM   #3
country flag GSMnadal

GSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Does time wasting between points make it hard to tell how fit a player is?

Oh will you fedtards stop it with this... how about you actually stick to the tennis instead of complaining non stop about the court speeds and time ruling...

Literally every comment you guys make these days are about this and nothing else.

'Rafael Nadal is the best ever' - John McEnroe

1 AO - 9 RG - 2 W - 2 USO
GSMnadal is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 12:28 PM   #4
country flag helvet kingdom
Banned!

helvet kingdom has a reputation beyond reputehelvet kingdom has a reputation beyond reputehelvet kingdom has a reputation beyond reputehelvet kingdom has a reputation beyond reputehelvet kingdom has a reputation beyond reputehelvet kingdom has a reputation beyond reputehelvet kingdom has a reputation beyond reputehelvet kingdom has a reputation beyond reputehelvet kingdom has a reputation beyond reputehelvet kingdom has a reputation beyond reputehelvet kingdom has a reputation beyond repute

Watching Nadull waste time prevents me from doing less painful activities, such as banging my head against the wall or putting my penis in the microwave.
helvet kingdom is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 01:32 PM   #5
country flag TBkeeper

TBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond repute

yes of course have you ever seen Davy ? he only need like 10 seconds to prepare for the next point and that is from extreme significance !
He'll never gets tired and you must imagine if he was wasting 35 seconds between points --> invincibility !
TBkeeper is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 01:35 PM   #6
country flag helvet kingdom
Banned!

helvet kingdom has a reputation beyond reputehelvet kingdom has a reputation beyond reputehelvet kingdom has a reputation beyond reputehelvet kingdom has a reputation beyond reputehelvet kingdom has a reputation beyond reputehelvet kingdom has a reputation beyond reputehelvet kingdom has a reputation beyond reputehelvet kingdom has a reputation beyond reputehelvet kingdom has a reputation beyond reputehelvet kingdom has a reputation beyond reputehelvet kingdom has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBkeeper View Post
yes of course have you ever seen Davy ? he only need like 10 seconds to prepare for the next point and that is from extreme significance !
He'll never gets tired and you must imagine if he was wasting 35 seconds between points --> invincibility !
that is very true. Baldenko is very underrated
helvet kingdom is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 01:36 PM   #7
country flag TBkeeper

TBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSMnadal View Post
Oh will you fedtards stop it with this... how about you actually stick to the tennis instead of complaining non stop about the court speeds and time ruling...

Literally every comment you guys make these days are about this and nothing else.
Sorry For my language but ... ARE YOU BLIND OR DUMB ? OF COURSE there is a big difference if you waste more time between points ... oh my god i haven't imagined that this won't be obvious to someone at all
Old 02-05-2012, 01:38 PM   #8
country flag Nixer

Nixer has a reputation beyond reputeNixer has a reputation beyond reputeNixer has a reputation beyond reputeNixer has a reputation beyond reputeNixer has a reputation beyond reputeNixer has a reputation beyond reputeNixer has a reputation beyond reputeNixer has a reputation beyond reputeNixer has a reputation beyond reputeNixer has a reputation beyond reputeNixer has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I hope that's sarcasm, cause Davy has a very long serve preparation, at least 15 seconds - at any point of time, not even when tired
Nixer is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 01:45 PM   #9
country flag GSMnadal

GSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Sorry For my language but ... ARE YOU BLIND OR DUMB ? OF COURSE there is a big difference if you waste more time between points ... oh my god i haven't imagined that this won't be obvious to someone at all
try and read my comment again, I never even said anything about that... apparently I'm not the only one who's blind or dumb

'Rafael Nadal is the best ever' - John McEnroe

1 AO - 9 RG - 2 W - 2 USO
GSMnadal is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 01:55 PM   #10
country flag Myrre

Myrre has a reputation beyond reputeMyrre has a reputation beyond reputeMyrre has a reputation beyond reputeMyrre has a reputation beyond reputeMyrre has a reputation beyond reputeMyrre has a reputation beyond reputeMyrre has a reputation beyond reputeMyrre has a reputation beyond reputeMyrre has a reputation beyond reputeMyrre has a reputation beyond reputeMyrre has a reputation beyond repute

They are obviously very fit. Try just one of those 35 stroke rallies and I'm sure you'd be gasping for air. With less time to recover between points they'd definitely be more winded and likely to make mistakes on the next points. Not following the rules is cheating and umpires not enforcing the rules is just one of the many things that is wrong with tennis these days.
Myrre is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 02:00 PM   #11
country flag Time Violation
Slacker

Time Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2003 View Post
Likewise with a number of top guys. Towelling down, aces, easy points, the sit down, taking up to an average of 35 seconds between single points, it is very easy for a player to recover that way. Almost like the fat mans track. This just doesnt happen in other sports like football, touch rugby, hockey etc.
It doesn't happen in football? Lol, then how come Federer is considered "old" when he's 30, and you have plenty of examples people playing in top football well into their 30s, some even close to their 40s - Paolo Maldini retired at 41 yrs old.
“There’s so many athletes, tennis players around the world,” he continued, trying to put his life into some kind of perspective, “they want to be the best in what they do. They want to succeed. Many of them, they don’t succeed in the end. I’m fortunate to have this opportunity and succeed.”
Time Violation is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 02:05 PM   #12
country flag fmolinari2005

fmolinari2005 has a reputation beyond reputefmolinari2005 has a reputation beyond reputefmolinari2005 has a reputation beyond reputefmolinari2005 has a reputation beyond reputefmolinari2005 has a reputation beyond reputefmolinari2005 has a reputation beyond reputefmolinari2005 has a reputation beyond reputefmolinari2005 has a reputation beyond reputefmolinari2005 has a reputation beyond reputefmolinari2005 has a reputation beyond reputefmolinari2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Do we really need a new thread for this?! As long as they run for hours, beat their chests, pumps their fists and rips off their shirts at the end it is all good. Rules are overrated.

COME ON MURRAY!
Andy Murray: USO champion! Roger Federer: LEGEND!

2012: A reminder to all of those who said Murray would never win a GS and that Federer was done winning GS titles!
fmolinari2005 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 02:34 PM   #13
country flag TBkeeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nixer View Post
I hope that's sarcasm, cause Davy has a very long serve preparation, at least 15 seconds - at any point of time, not even when tired
... DAVYDENKO --- ? 15 seconds serve preparation ?!?!? wtf have you ever watched him ? he does that --> bounces the ball once to the ground then twice with the racquet then twice with the hand again and he serves that costs him 6-7 seconds at most ...
and i don't talk about when his opponent is serving... 2006-2007 all of his matches he just goes straight to where he is returning and waiting for the server ... no other bullshits
Old 02-05-2012, 03:15 PM   #14
country flag Johnny Groove
Future ATP Star

Johnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond repute

In my day, I will try to spend as little time as possible between points. Quick serve them, get them rushed. Fed used to do it, spending 7-13 seconds between serves, and rushing these guys into errors.

But in order to do that, you yourself must also be in Adonis shape.
Originally Posted by Nathaliia View Post
What do you like doing on MTF most?
Reading Johnny Groove threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripwires View Post
Johnny blurs the line between grandeur and grandiose
Johnny Groove is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 03:22 PM   #15
country flag Clay Death
Banned!

Clay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond repute

top guns have that right. you can do what you want if your name is fed, nole, or nadal. they are 3 all time greats of the sport who are taking the sport to its highest level ever.

they are the faces and the names of this sport.

so 2 of them take 30 seconds or more. big fucking deal.

nole, nadal, and fed are still the fittest tennis players ever.

they dont mean it. it is just their routine to help them relax a little.
Clay Death is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote