Article : Is this the best tennis we have ever seen? - Page 3 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 02-04-2012, 03:02 PM   #31
country flag BigJohn
Banned!

BigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is this the best tennis we have ever seen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by samanosuke View Post
how you can ever dare to think that nole spam hasn't her own opinions
this
BigJohn is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2012, 03:10 PM   #32
country flag alexocfp

alexocfp has a reputation beyond reputealexocfp has a reputation beyond reputealexocfp has a reputation beyond reputealexocfp has a reputation beyond reputealexocfp has a reputation beyond reputealexocfp has a reputation beyond reputealexocfp has a reputation beyond reputealexocfp has a reputation beyond reputealexocfp has a reputation beyond reputealexocfp has a reputation beyond reputealexocfp has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Article : Is this the best tennis we have ever seen?

looks like the writer frequents these forums because he referenced my Pandora's box quote from the "speed up the courts" thread
alexocfp is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 03:20 PM   #33
country flag samanosuke

samanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond repute

With this could agree just people who haven't seen how tennis can be played and few gloryhuter journalists who aren't capable of writing decent tennis text so they have to write bunch of carp which could satisfy just people mentioned in first part of sentence
Old 02-04-2012, 03:24 PM   #34
country flag zcess81

zcess81 has a reputation beyond reputezcess81 has a reputation beyond reputezcess81 has a reputation beyond reputezcess81 has a reputation beyond reputezcess81 has a reputation beyond reputezcess81 has a reputation beyond reputezcess81 has a reputation beyond reputezcess81 has a reputation beyond reputezcess81 has a reputation beyond reputezcess81 has a reputation beyond reputezcess81 has a reputation beyond repute

Nole fans will say "yes", Rafa fans will say "no", Fed fans will say "I don't care", and neutral fans will say...well, who cares about what they think anyway!

David Ferrer - Leyton Hewitt - David Nalbandian - Marcos Baghdatis - Janko Tipsarevic - Tommy Haas

AJDE NOLE!
zcess81 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 03:35 PM   #35
country flag thrust
Banned!

thrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex999 View Post
ok. define the best match ever. I've seen so many good tennis matches. I can't really decide which one was the best... too many good matches. It was a great match IMHO, I had a great time. I mean, I don't get it. what do you guys want? people on this board are ...
I'm going to open a new thread 'what is the best match ever, let's talk
This year's AO final was indeed, IMO, a great match. However, I would not say it was the greatest ever. As you state, there have been so many great matches, it is impossible to pick just one. Today's game, with advanced equipment and physical training, is totally different from the Lave era. The other day I was watching a Laver-Rosewall match clips. In about 10 minutes there was more volleying, and overheads than in the nearly 6 hours of the AO final. They too ran each other aroud the court, back and forth, side to side. The net play, by both, was great. Their 72 WCT final was similiar to the match I saw on You Tube. That match was over 3 hours, of all-court exhausting tennis. It probably would be impossible today to play that sort of tennis, but both styles are to be enjoyed and reconized as great tennis.
thrust is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 03:40 PM   #36
country flag TennisOnWood

TennisOnWood has a reputation beyond reputeTennisOnWood has a reputation beyond reputeTennisOnWood has a reputation beyond reputeTennisOnWood has a reputation beyond reputeTennisOnWood has a reputation beyond reputeTennisOnWood has a reputation beyond reputeTennisOnWood has a reputation beyond reputeTennisOnWood has a reputation beyond reputeTennisOnWood has a reputation beyond reputeTennisOnWood has a reputation beyond reputeTennisOnWood has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrust View Post
This year's AO final was indeed, IMO, a great match. However, I would not say it was the greatest ever. As you state, there have been so many great matches, it is impossible to pick just one. Today's game, with advanced equipment and physical training, is totally different from the Lave era. The other day I was watching a Laver-Rosewall match clips. In about 10 minutes there was more volleying, and overheads than in the nearly 6 hours of the AO final. They too ran each other aroud the court, back and forth, side to side. The net play, by both, was great. Their 72 WCT final was similiar to the match I saw on You Tube. That match was over 3 hours, of all-court exhausting tennis. It probably would be impossible today to play that sort of tennis, but both styles are to be enjoyed and reconized as great tennis.
And that really was one of the best matches all time
Old 02-04-2012, 03:42 PM   #37
country flag LawrenceOfTennis
Banned!

LawrenceOfTennis has a reputation beyond reputeLawrenceOfTennis has a reputation beyond reputeLawrenceOfTennis has a reputation beyond reputeLawrenceOfTennis has a reputation beyond reputeLawrenceOfTennis has a reputation beyond reputeLawrenceOfTennis has a reputation beyond reputeLawrenceOfTennis has a reputation beyond reputeLawrenceOfTennis has a reputation beyond reputeLawrenceOfTennis has a reputation beyond reputeLawrenceOfTennis has a reputation beyond reputeLawrenceOfTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Nadal fans: no, it's complete shit.
Djokovic fans: best ever
Federer fans: low quality
Sampras fans: wtf is this?
LawrenceOfTennis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 03:44 PM   #38
country flag rocketassist
Banned!

rocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond repute

No, not anywhere near.
rocketassist is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 03:51 PM   #39
country flag paseo

paseo has a reputation beyond reputepaseo has a reputation beyond reputepaseo has a reputation beyond reputepaseo has a reputation beyond reputepaseo has a reputation beyond reputepaseo has a reputation beyond reputepaseo has a reputation beyond reputepaseo has a reputation beyond reputepaseo has a reputation beyond reputepaseo has a reputation beyond reputepaseo has a reputation beyond repute

The drama was great. But the tennis? It makes me sad, really.
paseo is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 04:02 PM   #40
country flag zlaja777

zlaja777 has a reputation beyond reputezlaja777 has a reputation beyond reputezlaja777 has a reputation beyond reputezlaja777 has a reputation beyond reputezlaja777 has a reputation beyond reputezlaja777 has a reputation beyond reputezlaja777 has a reputation beyond reputezlaja777 has a reputation beyond reputezlaja777 has a reputation beyond reputezlaja777 has a reputation beyond reputezlaja777 has a reputation beyond repute

Funny how most of the people reply without even reading the whole article. He's not talking only about AO final.
Yes, the highest quality tennis has been produced by the current top 3 (starting with Feds peak years, followed by Nadal and the arrival of Djokovic who is now at his peak). This particular match is probably not the best ever, maybe most dramatic. But it is a good example.
zlaja777 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 04:17 PM   #41
country flag r3d_d3v1l_

r3d_d3v1l_ has a reputation beyond reputer3d_d3v1l_ has a reputation beyond reputer3d_d3v1l_ has a reputation beyond reputer3d_d3v1l_ has a reputation beyond reputer3d_d3v1l_ has a reputation beyond reputer3d_d3v1l_ has a reputation beyond reputer3d_d3v1l_ has a reputation beyond reputer3d_d3v1l_ has a reputation beyond reputer3d_d3v1l_ has a reputation beyond reputer3d_d3v1l_ has a reputation beyond reputer3d_d3v1l_ has a reputation beyond repute

Tennis isnīt all drama, it isnīt a physical struggle to see who lasts the most playing the game. Itīs a technical sport, period.

The joy i get from tennis is from the speed and beauty of the shots and from the technical brilliance displayed by the players. Thatīs it.

The thing is that nowadays theyīve been selling this spartan thing, where the most fittest player prevails, taking advantage of the slower courts and highly defensive play.

Itīs no surprise Djokovic and Nadal have been dominating most of the tour. Itīs all build to fit their styles. And iīm not offended when people say they enjoy their clashes, but to say itīs the best tennis we have ever seen is stupid.

PS: 2008 Wimbledon final is way overrated.
r3d_d3v1l_ is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 04:38 PM   #42
country flag Bobby

Bobby has a reputation beyond reputeBobby has a reputation beyond reputeBobby has a reputation beyond reputeBobby has a reputation beyond reputeBobby has a reputation beyond reputeBobby has a reputation beyond reputeBobby has a reputation beyond reputeBobby has a reputation beyond reputeBobby has a reputation beyond reputeBobby has a reputation beyond reputeBobby has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by r3d_d3v1l_ View Post
Tennis isnīt all drama, it isnīt a physical struggle to see who lasts the most playing the game. Itīs a technical sport, period.

The joy i get from tennis is from the speed and beauty of the shots and from the technical brilliance displayed by the players. Thatīs it.

The thing is that nowadays theyīve been selling this spartan thing, where the most fittest player prevails, taking advantage of the slower courts and highly defensive play.

Itīs no surprise Djokovic and Nadal have been dominating most of the tour. Itīs all build to fit their styles. And iīm not offended when people say they enjoy their clashes, but to say itīs the best tennis we have ever seen is stupid.

Well said.

Singles Rank: 202
2007: QF Forest Hills CH, Turin CH, Scheveningen CH

Doubles Rank: 189
2007: W Turin CH (w/Dougie), F Scheveningen CH (w/Dougie)
Bobby is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 06:02 PM   #43
country flag Pirata.
the pirate queen.

Pirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by r3d_d3v1l_ View Post

This, exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuitYerWhining View Post
Ever trolled, ever failed, no matter.
Post again, troll again, troll harder.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay Death View Post
mods drag this thread outside and have several spotted hyenas shit on it for 4 straight days. you may have to bribe the hyenas but they will shit on it.
Pirata. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 06:15 PM   #44
country flag ballbasher101

ballbasher101 has a reputation beyond reputeballbasher101 has a reputation beyond reputeballbasher101 has a reputation beyond reputeballbasher101 has a reputation beyond reputeballbasher101 has a reputation beyond reputeballbasher101 has a reputation beyond reputeballbasher101 has a reputation beyond reputeballbasher101 has a reputation beyond reputeballbasher101 has a reputation beyond reputeballbasher101 has a reputation beyond reputeballbasher101 has a reputation beyond repute

Has journalism been this poor or am I just starting to notice? The match was poor but the drama was great. Djokovic pretty much choked the 4th set with some shocking play at times. Nadal then returned the favour in the fifth by giving the break back. The match-up is not that great to watch but I love the result . More Djoker victories please .
ballbasher101 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 06:30 PM   #45
country flag Action Jackson
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballbasher101 View Post
Has journalism been this poor or am I just starting to notice? The match was poor but the drama was great. Djokovic pretty much choked the 4th set with some shocking play at times. Nadal then returned the favour in the fifth by giving the break back. The match-up is not that great to watch but I love the result . More Djoker victories please .
Tennis journalism for the most part is awful, the best ones tend not to be native English speakers.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote