Rafael Nadal is first one who is 3 times runner-up in a row in GS finals!!! - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 01-30-2012, 05:59 PM   #16
country flag zcess81

zcess81 has a reputation beyond reputezcess81 has a reputation beyond reputezcess81 has a reputation beyond reputezcess81 has a reputation beyond reputezcess81 has a reputation beyond reputezcess81 has a reputation beyond reputezcess81 has a reputation beyond reputezcess81 has a reputation beyond reputezcess81 has a reputation beyond reputezcess81 has a reputation beyond reputezcess81 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rafael Nadal is first one who is 3 times runner-up in a row in GS finals!!!

Better to be in a position to win a grand slam than not. Nadal already has 10 grand slams, so it's not bad for him. It's not like he's chasing his first slam and he lost 3 in a row.

David Ferrer - Leyton Hewitt - David Nalbandian - Marcos Baghdatis - Janko Tipsarevic - Tommy Haas

AJDE NOLE!
zcess81 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2012, 07:32 PM   #17
country flag manadrainer

manadrainer has a reputation beyond reputemanadrainer has a reputation beyond reputemanadrainer has a reputation beyond reputemanadrainer has a reputation beyond reputemanadrainer has a reputation beyond reputemanadrainer has a reputation beyond reputemanadrainer has a reputation beyond reputemanadrainer has a reputation beyond reputemanadrainer has a reputation beyond reputemanadrainer has a reputation beyond reputemanadrainer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rafael Nadal is first one who is 3 times runner-up in a row in GS finals!!!

With yesterday loss, now Fed has a better percentage of Slam finals won than Nadal.

Once upon a time there was a myth about strong and weak eras. On this glorious day the clownery was eventually unmasked: 30 y.o. past-prime daddy Fed became #1 once again in the supposed strong "Spartan" era with his rivals at their peak.
And they all lived happily ever after.
Long live King Federer!

17 Grand Slam titles
7 Wimbledon titles
302 weeks at #1
Legend
manadrainer is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 07:50 PM   #18
country flag samanosuke

samanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond repute

I opened exactly the same thread yesterday but it was closed after few posts . good moderating
Old 01-30-2012, 07:55 PM   #19
country flag Noleta

Noleta has a reputation beyond reputeNoleta has a reputation beyond reputeNoleta has a reputation beyond reputeNoleta has a reputation beyond reputeNoleta has a reputation beyond reputeNoleta has a reputation beyond reputeNoleta has a reputation beyond reputeNoleta has a reputation beyond reputeNoleta has a reputation beyond reputeNoleta has a reputation beyond reputeNoleta has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by zcess81 View Post
Better to be in a position to win a grand slam than not. Nadal already has 10 grand slams, so it's not bad for him. It's not like he's chasing his first slam and he lost 3 in a row.
+1.
Noleta is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 08:02 PM   #20
country flag samanosuke

samanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by zcess81 View Post
that's how nadal fans are talking now . few years back one of their biggest fighting argument with Fed tards was that Nadal doesn't lose big or epic matches. And one of biggest trashing Fed argument was some big and close matches which Fed lost. Currently, they are building Nadal's legacy on ex Fed trashing reasons . What an irony
Old 01-30-2012, 08:05 PM   #21
country flag Fedfanforever
Banned!

Fedfanforever has a reputation beyond reputeFedfanforever has a reputation beyond reputeFedfanforever has a reputation beyond reputeFedfanforever has a reputation beyond reputeFedfanforever has a reputation beyond reputeFedfanforever has a reputation beyond reputeFedfanforever has a reputation beyond reputeFedfanforever has a reputation beyond reputeFedfanforever has a reputation beyond reputeFedfanforever has a reputation beyond reputeFedfanforever has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by manadrainer View Post
With yesterday loss, now Fed has a better percentage of Slam finals won than Nadal.
Wow...wasn't percent of slam finals won one of the arguments for the Nadal GOAT debate?
Roger
Fedfanforever is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 08:29 PM   #22
country flag teacherling

teacherling has a reputation beyond reputeteacherling has a reputation beyond reputeteacherling has a reputation beyond reputeteacherling has a reputation beyond reputeteacherling has a reputation beyond reputeteacherling has a reputation beyond reputeteacherling has a reputation beyond reputeteacherling has a reputation beyond reputeteacherling has a reputation beyond reputeteacherling has a reputation beyond reputeteacherling has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by manadrainer View Post
Well said, but kind of irrelevant. I am an "elderly" guy who's been watching (and playing) tennis for quite a while. I don't play any more but I tend to see things and rivalries in a different light. To put all this is simpler terms: Roger Federer is mistakenly taken to be the greatest of all time due to reasons that are obvious --- he exploited the time when Agassi and Sampras were leaving the big scene and when there were only the fledgling teenager Rafael Nadal and the yet-to-come teenager Novak Djokovic just around the corner. During that time, roughly between 2006-2010, just before Nadal started his reign, Federer garnered most, almost all, of his slams. Nadal took over at that time winning his slams with Federer, still a brilliant player who was not yet on the wane, and the slowly emerging Djokovic, plus the one-timer, Del Potro. Now it's Djokovic taking slams, with Nadal peaking in strength and tennis maturity, and the great Stottish tactician, Andy Murray, and the great French athlete, Tsonga, and a handful of other very strong players. In my eyes it is obvious that the bulk of Federer's slams was earned on account of rather weak opposition. Please prove me wrong. I do not for a moment deny Federer's brilliancy as a player, what I question is the CONTEXT in which players earn their majors.

For all this said above, I think that Nadal is a stronger player than Federer, and that Djokovic might prove to be even stronger. I may be wrong but I would like some sort of explication, not only mindless name-calling. And, no, I do not like Djokovic all that much (as a player he's not on par with, say, Nalbandian or even Davydenko, but he is a much stronger character and a greater "warrior" who's even out-classed Rafael Nadal in that department).

Cheers.
teacherling is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 09:23 PM   #23
country flag manadrainer

manadrainer has a reputation beyond reputemanadrainer has a reputation beyond reputemanadrainer has a reputation beyond reputemanadrainer has a reputation beyond reputemanadrainer has a reputation beyond reputemanadrainer has a reputation beyond reputemanadrainer has a reputation beyond reputemanadrainer has a reputation beyond reputemanadrainer has a reputation beyond reputemanadrainer has a reputation beyond reputemanadrainer has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by samanosuke View Post
that's how nadal fans are talking now . few years back one of their biggest fighting argument with Fed tards was that Nadal doesn't lose big or epic matches. And one of biggest trashing Fed argument was some big and close matches which Fed lost. Currently, they are building Nadal's legacy on ex Fed trashing reasons . What an irony
Exactly. How quickly can things change...

Once upon a time there was a myth about strong and weak eras. On this glorious day the clownery was eventually unmasked: 30 y.o. past-prime daddy Fed became #1 once again in the supposed strong "Spartan" era with his rivals at their peak.
Long live King Federer!

17 Grand Slam titles
7 Wimbledon titles
302 weeks at #1
Legend
Old 01-30-2012, 09:27 PM   #24
country flag manadrainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by teacherling View Post
Well said, but kind of irrelevant. I am an "elderly" guy who's been watching (and playing) tennis for quite a while. I don't play any more but I tend to see things and rivalries in a different light. To put all this is simpler terms: Roger Federer is mistakenly taken to be the greatest of all time due to reasons that are obvious --- he exploited the time when Agassi and Sampras were leaving the big scene and when there were only the fledgling teenager Rafael Nadal and the yet-to-come teenager Novak Djokovic just around the corner. During that time, roughly between 2006-2010, just before Nadal started his reign, Federer garnered most, almost all, of his slams. Nadal took over at that time winning his slams with Federer, still a brilliant player who was not yet on the wane, and the slowly emerging Djokovic, plus the one-timer, Del Potro. Now it's Djokovic taking slams, with Nadal peaking in strength and tennis maturity, and the great Stottish tactician, Andy Murray, and the great French athlete, Tsonga, and a handful of other very strong players. In my eyes it is obvious that the bulk of Federer's slams was earned on account of rather weak opposition. Please prove me wrong. I do not for a moment deny Federer's brilliancy as a player, what I question is the CONTEXT in which players earn their majors.

For all this said above, I think that Nadal is a stronger player than Federer, and that Djokovic might prove to be even stronger. I may be wrong but I would like some sort of explication, not only mindless name-calling. And, no, I do not like Djokovic all that much (as a player he's not on par with, say, Nalbandian or even Davydenko, but he is a much stronger character and a greater "warrior" who's even out-classed Rafael Nadal in that department).

Cheers.
In today's context, at the age of 30, in steady decline since 2008, Federer still remains probably the major threat at slams for the current world number 1 A.K.A. Nole Djokovic. In the last 5 slams, who's been the only guy to see (and convert at RG) match points against Novak? Just imagine what he'd be able to do in his peak years (2004-2007).

Long live King Federer!

17 Grand Slam titles
7 Wimbledon titles
302 weeks at #1
Legend
Old 01-30-2012, 09:29 PM   #25
country flag samanosuke

Quote:

Cheers.
So your conclusion is that Djokovic is the strongest player between big trio and you are basing this conclusion on the context of players he beats. And in that CONTEXT his biggest threat is that same but way from his peak Swiss " overachiever" who earned his slams by beating mugs ?
Old 01-30-2012, 09:42 PM   #26
country flag stewietennis

stewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond repute

Being runner up at three slams in a row would probably be a career for some players – in other words, a lot of players would trade their career for that.
stewietennis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 10:17 PM   #27
country flag paseo

paseo has a reputation beyond reputepaseo has a reputation beyond reputepaseo has a reputation beyond reputepaseo has a reputation beyond reputepaseo has a reputation beyond reputepaseo has a reputation beyond reputepaseo has a reputation beyond reputepaseo has a reputation beyond reputepaseo has a reputation beyond reputepaseo has a reputation beyond reputepaseo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by peribsen View Post
You misrepresent the feelings of many Rafa fans, who never said the above in derision of Fed, but as an honour for Rafa, since beating prime Fed (2005-06-07) in slam finals was obviously far more prestigious than beating another player. Likewise, Nole fans can legitimately argue that Djoko's last 3 slams are more prestigious because he won them against Nadal, instead of against smaller players like Tsonga (AO 08) and Murray (AO 11).

Anybody trying to argue that those results are a dishonour for Fed or Nadal is, I agree, a tard.
A slam is a slam. The title doesn't become more/less prestigious because of the finalist.

For example, If Monfils wins RG12 beating Lorenzi(QF), Volandri(SF), and Ginepri(F), the title will still worth as much as Del Potro's USO09.
paseo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 11:05 PM   #28
country flag Sophocles

Sophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
During that time, roughly between 2006-2010, just before Nadal started his reign, Federer garnered most, almost all, of his slams. Nadal took over at that time winning his slams with Federer, still a brilliant player who was not yet on the wane, and the slowly emerging Djokovic, plus the one-timer, Del Potro.
This is incorrect. The 2006-10 period you choose is arbitrary. Nadal finally took over the No. 1 spot in 2008, having reached No. 2 in 2005. Federer was clearly on the wane by 2008, as is obvious from his results against the rest of the field, including Nadal.
Old 01-30-2012, 11:53 PM   #29
country flag Jimnik

Jimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond repute

He deserves a medal. Maybe a silvery one.
Jimnik is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 12:58 AM   #30
country flag Sunset of Age
Anathemaniac

Sunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophocles View Post
This is incorrect. The 2006-10 period you choose is arbitrary. Nadal finally took over the No. 1 spot in 2008, having reached No. 2 in 2005. Federer was clearly on the wane by 2008, as is obvious from his results against the rest of the field, including Nadal.
This is correct. Truth is that Federer has been in decline ever since 2008, despite picking up some GS titles in the period that followed thereafter.
Nadal's best year was 2008, and sorry to split it to the tards, but despite a fantastic showing at the USO 2010, he's been on the downslide ever since as well. I refuse to judge on mere results, I judge on what I'm seeing these guys demonstrate in the sense of pure quality of tennis at any tennis tournament I watch.

That said, it's even more remarkable that both of these giants still manage to rack up great results in GS tournaments. Reaching semifinals, QFs, let's not even talk about reaching FINALS, is nothing to piss on when having such a huge mileage as both of them have. Rather the contrary: it's a genuine sign of their true greatness.

Any player who still manages to consistantly rack up results like theirs is still in the running to grab a major title. They may well need a bit of luck to get there though - but luck is anyone's guess. Ask Sampras, ask Agassi for this matter.

Am I still here? As one, with The Fear?
Am I still alive? I'm still f*cking ... Here...!"

"The Storm Before The Calm"

Anathema

Into music of the PROG-Dorky-kind? visit my blog or MTF's Prog Rock Thread.
Sunset of Age is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote