Roger Federer 15-1 in Grand Slam finals against players other than Nadal - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 07-08-2012, 09:29 PM   #1
country flag Mark Lenders

Mark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond repute
Default Roger Federer 15-1 in Grand Slam finals against players other than Nadal

Amazing stuff. Apart from his long time nemesis Nadal (6 times), only Del Potro managed to get the best of him in a Slam final

Philipoussis, Safin, Roddick (x4), Hewitt Agassi, Bagdathis, Gonzalez, Djokovic, Murray (x3), Soderling all faced but were unable to beat Federer in Slam finals.

It'd be an understatement to say Federeris tough to beat in Slam finals.
Mark Lenders is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2012, 09:29 PM   #2
country flag Smoke944

Smoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Roger Federer 15-1 in Grand Slam finals against players other than Nadal

Del Potro
Smoke944 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 09:32 PM   #3
country flag Burrow

Burrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Roger Federer 15-1 in Grand Slam finals against players other than Nadal

I think it was this that the member of this forum "Alez" I think, didn't understand.

Kept referring to the Shanghai '10 final.
Burrow is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 09:34 PM   #4
country flag rocketassist
Banned!

rocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond repute

Another interesting stat is none of Nole's GS wins over him came in a final. Of course now with the seedings they may meet at the US Open final perhaps.
rocketassist is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 09:35 PM   #5
country flag Fireballer

Fireballer has a reputation beyond reputeFireballer has a reputation beyond reputeFireballer has a reputation beyond reputeFireballer has a reputation beyond reputeFireballer has a reputation beyond reputeFireballer has a reputation beyond reputeFireballer has a reputation beyond reputeFireballer has a reputation beyond reputeFireballer has a reputation beyond reputeFireballer has a reputation beyond reputeFireballer has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketassist View Post
Another interesting stat is none of Nole's GS wins over him came in a final. Of course now with the seedings they may meet at the US Open final perhaps.
well they only played once
Old 07-08-2012, 09:39 PM   #6
country flag Mark Lenders

Mark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrow View Post
I think it was this that the member of this forum "Alez" I think, didn't understand.

Kept referring to the Shanghai '10 final.
True. Grand Slam finals are a very different ball game. Federer is always the man to beat in those unless it's Nadal on the other side of the net, history shows up.
Mark Lenders is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 09:39 PM   #7
country flag TennisGrandSlam

TennisGrandSlam has a reputation beyond reputeTennisGrandSlam has a reputation beyond reputeTennisGrandSlam has a reputation beyond reputeTennisGrandSlam has a reputation beyond reputeTennisGrandSlam has a reputation beyond reputeTennisGrandSlam has a reputation beyond reputeTennisGrandSlam has a reputation beyond reputeTennisGrandSlam has a reputation beyond reputeTennisGrandSlam has a reputation beyond reputeTennisGrandSlam has a reputation beyond reputeTennisGrandSlam has a reputation beyond repute

It shows that Federer is the King of tennis and a good Backhander, Rafael is a heavy topspiner and good athlete!
TennisGrandSlam is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 09:45 PM   #8
country flag Cousin Oliver

Cousin Oliver has a reputation beyond reputeCousin Oliver has a reputation beyond reputeCousin Oliver has a reputation beyond reputeCousin Oliver has a reputation beyond reputeCousin Oliver has a reputation beyond reputeCousin Oliver has a reputation beyond reputeCousin Oliver has a reputation beyond reputeCousin Oliver has a reputation beyond reputeCousin Oliver has a reputation beyond reputeCousin Oliver has a reputation beyond reputeCousin Oliver has a reputation beyond repute

And if you put his record against Nadal into perspective...

Really only 4 of those meetings in the finals happened when they were both in their prime. The first two French Finals and the first two Wimbledon Finals (each winning on their best surface).

2007 was the last year of Federer's prime, he turned 26 in August of that year.

Rafa turned 22 in June of 2008. Roger turned 27 on August the 8th. So 4 of their Grand Slam finals against each other came when Roger was 26 (almost 27 when they met at Wimbledon in 2008) and past his prime and Nadal was 25 or younger in all of their meetings!

That's something that is rarely brought up when people evaluate Federer's career and try to claim he isn't the GOAT because of his record against Nadal in the finals. They assume that both players were at their peak when that just isn't the case. There is almost a 5 year age difference between them.

Its much easier to compare Nadal (26) to Nole (25) and Murray (25) since they're all close to the same age.
Cousin Oliver is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 09:47 PM   #9
country flag LinkMage

LinkMage has a reputation beyond reputeLinkMage has a reputation beyond reputeLinkMage has a reputation beyond reputeLinkMage has a reputation beyond reputeLinkMage has a reputation beyond reputeLinkMage has a reputation beyond reputeLinkMage has a reputation beyond reputeLinkMage has a reputation beyond reputeLinkMage has a reputation beyond reputeLinkMage has a reputation beyond reputeLinkMage has a reputation beyond repute

Fed let Del Potro win at the USO 09 to complete the Career Grand Slam Runner Up.

Lahm

Kroos :fuck you:
LinkMage is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 09:51 PM   #10

Cousin Oliver has a reputation beyond reputeCousin Oliver has a reputation beyond reputeCousin Oliver has a reputation beyond reputeCousin Oliver has a reputation beyond reputeCousin Oliver has a reputation beyond reputeCousin Oliver has a reputation beyond reputeCousin Oliver has a reputation beyond reputeCousin Oliver has a reputation beyond reputeCousin Oliver has a reputation beyond reputeCousin Oliver has a reputation beyond reputeCousin Oliver has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LinkMage View Post
Fed let Del Potro win at the USO 09 to complete the Career Grand Slam Runner Up.
He was missing a plate for his collection and his wife was nagging him that she wanted a complete set.
Old 07-08-2012, 09:56 PM   #11
country flag chenx15

chenx15 has a reputation beyond reputechenx15 has a reputation beyond reputechenx15 has a reputation beyond reputechenx15 has a reputation beyond reputechenx15 has a reputation beyond reputechenx15 has a reputation beyond reputechenx15 has a reputation beyond reputechenx15 has a reputation beyond reputechenx15 has a reputation beyond reputechenx15 has a reputation beyond reputechenx15 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cousin Oliver View Post
He was missing a plate for his collection and his wife was nagging him that she wanted a complete set.
Ha!!! too good
Fed ... don't F this up. You got the break. Just finish this. I got work tomorrow, I got kids... wife needs affection. Give me a break man.
chenx15 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 09:57 PM   #12
country flag evilmindbulgaria
Banned!

evilmindbulgaria has a reputation beyond reputeevilmindbulgaria has a reputation beyond reputeevilmindbulgaria has a reputation beyond reputeevilmindbulgaria has a reputation beyond reputeevilmindbulgaria has a reputation beyond reputeevilmindbulgaria has a reputation beyond reputeevilmindbulgaria has a reputation beyond reputeevilmindbulgaria has a reputation beyond reputeevilmindbulgaria has a reputation beyond reputeevilmindbulgaria has a reputation beyond reputeevilmindbulgaria has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cousin Oliver View Post
And if you put his record against Nadal into perspective...

Really only 4 of those meetings in the finals happened when they were both in their prime. The first two French Finals and the first two Wimbledon Finals (each winning on their best surface).

2007 was the last year of Federer's prime, he turned 26 in August of that year.

Rafa turned 22 in June of 2008. Roger turned 27 on August the 8th. So 4 of their Grand Slam finals against each other came when Roger was 26 (almost 27 when they met at Wimbledon in 2008) and past his prime and Nadal was 25 or younger in all of their meetings!

That's something that is rarely brought up when people evaluate Federer's career and try to claim he isn't the GOAT because of his record against Nadal in the finals. They assume that both players were at their peak when that just isn't the case. There is almost a 5 year age difference between them.

Its much easier to compare Nadal (26) to Nole (25) and Murray (25) since they're all close to the same age.
Nice try, but no. Different players have their "prime" periods at different age. Can you please let me know when Agassi's prime years were? How about Laver? Should we not count the last 6 of Federer's GS titles since he won them after his "prime"?

Fedtards and Fedfans need to be more humble and stop with the excuses such as "if we take away clay", "different eras", "not both in their prime", etc. Facts are facts, 18:10 H2H, 8:2 in GS, 6:2 in GS Finals. Man up and deal with it!
evilmindbulgaria is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 10:01 PM   #13
country flag Burrow

Burrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireballer View Post
well they only played once
Who did?
Burrow is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 10:03 PM   #14
country flag incognito

incognito has a reputation beyond reputeincognito has a reputation beyond reputeincognito has a reputation beyond reputeincognito has a reputation beyond reputeincognito has a reputation beyond reputeincognito has a reputation beyond reputeincognito has a reputation beyond reputeincognito has a reputation beyond reputeincognito has a reputation beyond reputeincognito has a reputation beyond reputeincognito has a reputation beyond repute

Particularly impressive is the fact that he has a 100% win record over Djokovic in slam finals (over their past 6 years of head-to-head encounters!) No, seriously, what does this say? Not much, given the fact that we've only had three multiple GS champions during Federer's stay at the top and apart from Del Potro, no one can even remember a GS champion that's not from the top 3 of the past five years (Federer-Nadal-Djokovic)...
incognito is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 10:05 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilmindbulgaria View Post
Nice try, but no. Different players have their "prime" periods at different age. Can you please let me know when Agassi's prime years were? How about Laver? Should we not count the last 6 of Federer's GS titles since he won them after his "prime"?

Fedtards and Fedfans need to be more humble and stop with the excuses such as "if we take away clay", "different eras", "not both in their prime", etc. Facts are facts, 18:10 H2H, 8:2 in GS, 6:2 in GS Finals. Man up and deal with it!
Most people agree that Fed's prime was 2003-2007. This isn't even debatable really.

While its completely true that not all players have their prime at the same time there is a general consensus that in most cases that prime lasts until 25-27 (depending on the player).

The fact is there is a 5 year age gap between them. Are you honestly trying to tell me that the Fed we saw in 08, 09, 10, 11 or this year is as good physically as the Fed from 2003-2007?

We're not talking a 1, 2 or even 3 year age difference, we're talking 5 years. That's a huge difference.