Does the challenge system make sense? - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Should the current challenge system remain?

Yes! I love the drama of it and do not care about errors 29 53.70%
No, the electronic info should always be immediately available to the chair 21 38.89%
No, get rid of the electronic system as it makes linespeople obselete and breaks with tradition. 4 7.41%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-31-2012, 11:11 AM   #16
country flag Sunset of Age
Anathemaniac

Sunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Does the challenge system make sense?

System works fine on the whole, and/but unfortunately, this recent AO has shown that nowadays it's even very necessary - a lot of those line judges were in despate need of a trip to SpecSavers Inc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderfish8 View Post
I say yes only because of examples like the Aussie Open final where Rafa and Nole were able to successfully overrule at least 20 incorrect calls with a challenge. If the lines people are missing up to 20 calls in a Grand Slam final (not to mention that some were horribly called out. One ball called long was actually on the inside of the line), the hawk eye is necessary to correct the human error. Although that was an extreme situation and the Aussie Open should be reassessing who its hiring.
Exactly.
BTW, watching the AO final, my BF came up with a rather intriguing plan to change the system: in stead of players having a challenge taken away from them when their challenge is wrong, perhaps an idea to give them an extra challenge whenever they turn out to be right?

I LOL'ed at the idea of having the ump call out "Mr. Djokovic has 22 challenges remaining" at a certain stage of the match.

Am I still here? As one, with The Fear?
Am I still alive? I'm still f*cking ... Here...!"

"The Storm Before The Calm"

Anathema

Into music of the PROG-Dorky-kind? visit my blog or MTF's Prog Rock Thread.
Sunset of Age is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2012, 04:12 PM   #17
country flag woodrow1029

woodrow1029 has a reputation beyond reputewoodrow1029 has a reputation beyond reputewoodrow1029 has a reputation beyond reputewoodrow1029 has a reputation beyond reputewoodrow1029 has a reputation beyond reputewoodrow1029 has a reputation beyond reputewoodrow1029 has a reputation beyond reputewoodrow1029 has a reputation beyond reputewoodrow1029 has a reputation beyond reputewoodrow1029 has a reputation beyond reputewoodrow1029 has a reputation beyond repute

Here's a problem with "instantaneous line calling from Hawkeye."

Every time the ball hits the net, the tech in the Hawkeye booth has to hit a button to recalculate the trajectory of the ball. That happens often enough where it is reason enough you will not see Hawkeye making instantaneous calls to replace line umpires.
woodrow1029 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 08:53 PM   #18
country flag stewietennis

stewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond repute

How accurate was the Cyclops technology? Couldn't they mix it with Hawk-Eye so there's a beep whenever the ball bounces out? Thereby foregoing the need for linespeople and challenges altogether.
stewietennis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 05:41 AM   #19
country flag ogre

ogre has a reputation beyond reputeogre has a reputation beyond reputeogre has a reputation beyond reputeogre has a reputation beyond reputeogre has a reputation beyond reputeogre has a reputation beyond reputeogre has a reputation beyond reputeogre has a reputation beyond reputeogre has a reputation beyond reputeogre has a reputation beyond reputeogre has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset of Age View Post
System works fine on the whole, and/but unfortunately, this recent AO has shown that nowadays it's even very necessary - a lot of those line judges were in despate need of a trip to SpecSavers Inc.

Exactly.
BTW, watching the AO final, my BF came up with a rather intriguing plan to change the system: in stead of players having a challenge taken away from them when their challenge is wrong, perhaps an idea to give them an extra challenge whenever they turn out to be right?

I LOL'ed at the idea of having the ump call out "Mr. Djokovic has 22 challenges remaining" at a certain stage of the match.
I really agree there is a problem here. If the linespeople are making lots of errors or simply being lazy, then you need to make lots of challenges. If 4/5 of your challenges are correct, then you should not be prevented from making more challenges! Yet, even if 4/5 of your challenges are right, with todays system you run out if lots of challenges are needed. However getting one extra challenger for every correct challenge might be too much, perhaps one extra challenge for every two correct challeges is sufficient.

Last edited by ogre : 02-02-2012 at 05:47 AM.
ogre is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 11:12 AM   #20
country flag chalkdust

chalkdust has a reputation beyond reputechalkdust has a reputation beyond reputechalkdust has a reputation beyond reputechalkdust has a reputation beyond reputechalkdust has a reputation beyond reputechalkdust has a reputation beyond reputechalkdust has a reputation beyond reputechalkdust has a reputation beyond reputechalkdust has a reputation beyond reputechalkdust has a reputation beyond reputechalkdust has a reputation beyond repute

I do think we are in a transitional, non-optimal state here. At the recent Aussie Open, the line-calling was truly appalling, and I think this must be in part due to official complacency, because of the presence of Hawkeye.

As has been pointed out before, although Hawkeye makes it possible for players to challenge calls, the importance of correct calls has not in any way diminished. There are many situations where this can be demonstrated, but to take just one example, if a serve is incorrectly called out, but the receiver has hit a return that would have been a clean winner (or even just a good return such that he would hold an advantage in the point), the receiver cannot undo this injustice.

Obviously, a change can only be made if the technology is truly able to support it, but as and when that technology is available I would support a move to fully-automated line judging, as close to real time as computationally achievable.

I must confess that I do somewhat enjoy the drama surrounding challenges under the current system, the controversies surrounding the time players take to issue a challenge, the wandering around looking at "marks" on hard courts (hands up Nadal) and so on; but in the end one has to admit that none of this really relates to the game of tennis. Form must always follow function, as far as I am concerned, therefore I think it would be absurd to retain the current system purely for its dramatic qualities, if the technology behind it has moved on.

It could even be quite funny if, in the middle of a Nole-Rafa slugfest, the ump has to call out:

"30-40. Mr Nadal's 17th shot in the rally landed 0.1cm behind the baseline."
Rafa (running to the chair): "No way, which shot are you talking about?"
Ump:"You know that loopy forehand that bounced about 12 feet high that Mr. Djokovic managed to push back down the line."
Rafa:"Which shot are you talking about? I wanna see the replay"
Ump:"You want to call a Time Out?"
Rafa:"Time Out? No, I wanna just see the replay. Machine is wrong."
Ump.:"You want to see the replay, you have to call Time Out."
Rafa:"Why this rule? It should not apply to me. Not just me, whole top 3 should have replays."
[Time passes (ranting)]
Rafa: "Ok so I want replay, yes Time Out."
Ump.: "Mr. Nadal has called a Time Out so we will all have to wait while we show you the replay."
[Video]
Ump:"30-40. Mr. Nadal has 2 Time Outs remaining"
chalkdust is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote