Does the challenge system make sense? - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Should the current challenge system remain?

Yes! I love the drama of it and do not care about errors 29 53.70%
No, the electronic info should always be immediately available to the chair 21 38.89%
No, get rid of the electronic system as it makes linespeople obselete and breaks with tradition. 4 7.41%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-29-2012, 12:04 PM   #1
country flag ogre

ogre has a reputation beyond reputeogre has a reputation beyond reputeogre has a reputation beyond reputeogre has a reputation beyond reputeogre has a reputation beyond reputeogre has a reputation beyond reputeogre has a reputation beyond reputeogre has a reputation beyond reputeogre has a reputation beyond reputeogre has a reputation beyond reputeogre has a reputation beyond repute
Default Does the challenge system make sense?

Previously, we had a system where although linespeople did make errors that went uncorrected by the chair umpire, everyone had to live with the errors since hopefully they should balance out.

Now we have a more accurate system that, although questionable when deciding to the last few millimeters (can you really be sure when a few hairs of a flattened ball touch the line or not?) is believed to be far more accurate than anything from before.

However, instead of the new technology making the line calls, it is up to the players to make the decision to call on the new technology. On decisions on the far side of the court they are further from the ball than either linespeople or chair umpire, but it is the player who must make the decision.

Yes there is drama to waiting on the replay. There is a tradition of having linespeople. But given the new technology is beleived to be accurate why not ALWAYS provide the chair umpire the information. The technoloy is now fast enough that no delay is needed and the replay is only for the drama.

Either the chair umpire could overrule based on the judgement of the electronics which could be instantly available or you could use the system in place of linespeople.

Isn't it just a little crazy that a result could depend on the error of players in determining their own line calls???

Ok - in 2001 when Hawkeye was first released, the lower computing power available meant the system was too slow for live calls. Almost 12 years later this is no longer the case and the system is now faster than most lines people

Last edited by ogre : 01-29-2012 at 08:40 PM.
ogre is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2012, 01:39 PM   #2
country flag navy75

navy75 has a reputation beyond reputenavy75 has a reputation beyond reputenavy75 has a reputation beyond reputenavy75 has a reputation beyond reputenavy75 has a reputation beyond reputenavy75 has a reputation beyond reputenavy75 has a reputation beyond reputenavy75 has a reputation beyond reputenavy75 has a reputation beyond reputenavy75 has a reputation beyond reputenavy75 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Does the challenge system make sense?

Having grown up for decades without it, I simply could not imagine not having Hawkeye in today's game. This tournament alone has shown how desperately that it is needed, as there have been utterly atrocious calls throughout (including the final rounds).

However, I'm not sure if your options were worded fairly. Sure, information can be relayed to the chair umpire, but it is not instantaneous. What happens when the umpire finds out that the 2nd shot in a 20 shot rally was out, but incorrectly ruled in?

It is for this reason that the current system is about as good as possible imo. You can't award a point that has already been completed to a player, and you also don't want infinite challenges by players who are abusers. The system, as it currently stands, allows for shots that end rallies to be considered for reviewal, and for players who are certain of a call in the middle of a rally to stop and challenge accordingly.
navy75 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 03:04 PM   #3
country flag DDrago2

DDrago2 has a reputation beyond reputeDDrago2 has a reputation beyond reputeDDrago2 has a reputation beyond reputeDDrago2 has a reputation beyond reputeDDrago2 has a reputation beyond reputeDDrago2 has a reputation beyond reputeDDrago2 has a reputation beyond reputeDDrago2 has a reputation beyond reputeDDrago2 has a reputation beyond reputeDDrago2 has a reputation beyond reputeDDrago2 has a reputation beyond repute

Ofcourse it doesn't make sense. Get rid of all lines people, hawk eye to take over their's job.

Australian Open
Roland Garros
JOKE SLAM
U.S. Open

Right word in the right moment - a glass of watter in the desert.
DDrago2 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 03:54 PM   #4
country flag Right On

Right On has a reputation beyond reputeRight On has a reputation beyond reputeRight On has a reputation beyond reputeRight On has a reputation beyond reputeRight On has a reputation beyond reputeRight On has a reputation beyond reputeRight On has a reputation beyond reputeRight On has a reputation beyond reputeRight On has a reputation beyond reputeRight On has a reputation beyond reputeRight On has a reputation beyond repute

Djoker would have lost today without the challenge system.
Right On is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 03:58 PM   #5
country flag Young 8

Young 8 has a reputation beyond reputeYoung 8 has a reputation beyond reputeYoung 8 has a reputation beyond reputeYoung 8 has a reputation beyond reputeYoung 8 has a reputation beyond reputeYoung 8 has a reputation beyond reputeYoung 8 has a reputation beyond reputeYoung 8 has a reputation beyond reputeYoung 8 has a reputation beyond reputeYoung 8 has a reputation beyond reputeYoung 8 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDrago2 View Post
Ofcourse it doesn't make sense. Get rid of all lines people, hawk eye to take over their's job.
I suppose this will be the goal in 30/40 yrs

No more umpires too
Young 8 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 08:34 PM   #6
country flag ogre

ogre has a reputation beyond reputeogre has a reputation beyond reputeogre has a reputation beyond reputeogre has a reputation beyond reputeogre has a reputation beyond reputeogre has a reputation beyond reputeogre has a reputation beyond reputeogre has a reputation beyond reputeogre has a reputation beyond reputeogre has a reputation beyond reputeogre has a reputation beyond repute

The current Hawkeye system is now capabale of delievering a result almost instantly and faster than linespeople, who often have to contemplate for a few moments.

My own opinion is that it is crazy for the chair umpire not to have this information available without a player calling for a review. This is the only option that makes sense to me.

The only reasons for not moving to hawkeye ruling on every shot are either a mistrust of the system or fear of breaking with tradition. I only included the 'get rid of hawkeye' option because if you believe in tradition so much, perhaps some want to go all the way.
Old 01-29-2012, 08:43 PM   #7
country flag Farenhajt

Farenhajt has a reputation beyond reputeFarenhajt has a reputation beyond reputeFarenhajt has a reputation beyond reputeFarenhajt has a reputation beyond reputeFarenhajt has a reputation beyond reputeFarenhajt has a reputation beyond reputeFarenhajt has a reputation beyond reputeFarenhajt has a reputation beyond reputeFarenhajt has a reputation beyond reputeFarenhajt has a reputation beyond reputeFarenhajt has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDrago2 View Post
This. Just as they got rid of netpersons, and they don't lose any sleep over whether the net sensors work correctly 24/7 or not. And the money saved for the linespersons' fees can be readily invested in hawkeye systems all over. I'm also sure the players would accept to forfeit a percentage of prize funds in order to put hawkeyes on all the courts in the Masters and GS series.
Old 01-29-2012, 08:56 PM   #8
country flag ssin

ssin has a reputation beyond reputessin has a reputation beyond reputessin has a reputation beyond reputessin has a reputation beyond reputessin has a reputation beyond reputessin has a reputation beyond reputessin has a reputation beyond reputessin has a reputation beyond reputessin has a reputation beyond reputessin has a reputation beyond reputessin has a reputation beyond repute

The current system makes sense, and adds something to the game. Besides, some control should always be left to humans regardless of how high the technology is and how prone humans are to making errors. this system serves the purpose of correcting some of the errors and giving the opportunity to players to question some calls, which makes calls less controversial. Who wants HAL from space odyssey in control? And computers can make mistakes too. Nah, this is a good system and it works fine.
ssin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 09:00 PM   #9
country flag NID

NID has a reputation beyond reputeNID has a reputation beyond reputeNID has a reputation beyond reputeNID has a reputation beyond reputeNID has a reputation beyond reputeNID has a reputation beyond reputeNID has a reputation beyond reputeNID has a reputation beyond reputeNID has a reputation beyond reputeNID has a reputation beyond reputeNID has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Right On View Post
Djoker would have lost today without the challenge system.
this.
keep it like it is.
NID is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 09:04 PM   #10
country flag ogre

Quote:
Originally Posted by navy75 View Post
However, I'm not sure if your options were worded fairly. Sure, information can be relayed to the chair umpire, but it is not instantaneous. What happens when the umpire finds out that the 2nd shot in a 20 shot rally was out, but incorrectly ruled in?
If you check with 'Hawkeye Innovations' (now really owned by Sony) you will find the technology can now rule faster than a linesperson.

Why is the delay needed? The truth is it is considered people are not ready to just 'trust the computer' and the time consuming video recreation gives the system credibility. The recreation has the appearance of a slow motion replay and we wait to 'see for ourselves' what has happened.

The current system was a necessary interim to build trust in the technology. Part of the real question is how long do we need this interim solution while trust is built? In reality it can still make errors and the 'video replay' does nothing to change that, but it is more reliable than line judges.
Old 01-29-2012, 09:08 PM   #11
country flag Time Violation
Slacker

Time Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond repute

How many sports have gone "fully digital"? There is a review function for the referees in several sports, but I don't think any has excluded judges/referees altogether.

They could, I guess, implement a sound system tied to the hawkeye, in order to sound an alarm any time the ball is out, so that it doesn't even have to be reviewed on the screen, but somehow I think this is the perfect balance between humane and in-humane system. Certainly adds to the drama
“There’s so many athletes, tennis players around the world,” he continued, trying to put his life into some kind of perspective, “they want to be the best in what they do. They want to succeed. Many of them, they don’t succeed in the end. I’m fortunate to have this opportunity and succeed.”
Time Violation is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 09:27 PM   #12
country flag selyoink

selyoink has a reputation beyond reputeselyoink has a reputation beyond reputeselyoink has a reputation beyond reputeselyoink has a reputation beyond reputeselyoink has a reputation beyond reputeselyoink has a reputation beyond reputeselyoink has a reputation beyond reputeselyoink has a reputation beyond reputeselyoink has a reputation beyond reputeselyoink has a reputation beyond reputeselyoink has a reputation beyond repute

The challenge system would make sense and be fair if it was available on all courts. Since it is not it caters to the tennis aristocracy it should be available to all or none, not the elite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay Death
i add value to mtf. mtf needs me far more than i need mtf. i have even been offered money (a small monthy salary) to hang out and chill at a couple of other forums.
selyoink is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 11:18 AM   #13
country flag ogre

Quote:
Originally Posted by selyoink View Post
The challenge system would make sense and be fair if it was available on all courts. Since it is not it caters to the tennis aristocracy it should be available to all or none, not the elite.
That all is not equal goes beyond Hawkeye. How about line umpires for example?

ATP match...7 line umpires
Qualifying..5 line umpires

Challenger Tournaments?
Main draw 5 line umpires (until the semis then 7)
Qualifying.. 3 line umpires

And yes, there are tournaments without any line umpires at all.

The difference here is that within the same tournament, and even in the same round, circumstances differ. That seems a real problem.
Old 01-31-2012, 11:38 AM   #14
country flag Sophocles

Sophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond repute

System is fine as it is. It's essentially designed for appeals rather than making the decisions in the first place.
Old 01-31-2012, 11:44 AM   #15
country flag Thunderfish8

Thunderfish8 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderfish8 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderfish8 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderfish8 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderfish8 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderfish8 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderfish8 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderfish8 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderfish8 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderfish8 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderfish8 has a reputation beyond repute

I say yes only because of examples like the Aussie Open final where Rafa and Nole were able to successfully overrule at least 20 incorrect calls with a challenge. If the lines people are missing up to 20 calls in a Grand Slam final (not to mention that some were horribly called out. One ball called long was actually on the inside of the line), the hawk eye is necessary to correct the human error. Although that was an extreme situation and the Aussie Open should be reassessing who its hiring.

Berdych Monaco Granollers Troicki Roger-Vasselin Lu Paire

PAW Titles: Brisbane 2012 & 2014
FITD Titles: Marseille 2014
Tennis Tipping Titles
Singles: Orleans CH '11, Tampere CH '12, Medellin CH '12
Doubles: Noumea CH '13 w/ Chirag, Cherbourg CH '14 w/ BMT360
Thunderfish8 is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote